• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#DarkSoulsDowngrade and #YOULIED \\ a.k.a You got some splainin' to do, Namco

legacyzero

Banned
Yeah, seeing the PC version will be what's most telling. I seriously think they are saving a lot of this for the next/new gen platforms.

Einbroch

Banned
They advertised the game as better than it was on PS3 hardware. That's them lying. None of the reviews are reporting this, and are in fact calling us crazy along with half the replies in here. So what you're saying is you've never bought a game day one?

I don't buy games period for reasons like this. So, no, I have not purchased a game day one in four years. Well, Guild Wars 2. But that's it. And I went in fully expecting it not to live up to ArenaNet's ambitions.

Joqu

I remember seeing a lot of people complaining during the beta that it was too dark and had poor framerate.

Yeah but there were also people who liked the darkness who are now complaining that it is gone. Poor framerate is still there although I don't doubt that the game runs better now that it has been stripped from its lightning. It'd be pretty sad if it didn't.

koryuken

So you're telling me if you knew they changed the lighting system beforehand, you would not have bought the game?

You're telling me you want a refund because the game doesn't look quite as pretty as it did in previews?

If that's what you're telling me, then tell me.

Yes, to number 1. Number 2, it is not just ugly -- they changed the game play mechanics as well (i will not go over this shit again, read the thread). I would have waited for the PS4 or the PC versions. I would not waste $60 on a game that looks like PS2 at times.

Nags

Banned
They'll have to give answers sooner or later. Then can do it now, with fans making 'punny' references to their games, or later when it's during some internet lawsuit.

They haven't said a word regarding it. And, frankly, that's disgusting. I personally have no problem with calling them out on their lies, and allowing them to deal with it. They've gotten far more courtesy than they deserve already.

So is this the sentiment shared by everyone in support of this?
This comment in particular I mean. Have they gotten far more courtesy than they deserve?
Now it's time to buckle down and go full lynch mob?

atr0cious

Yeah, seeing the PC version will be what's most telling. I seriously think they are saving a lot of this for the next/new gen platforms.
Even if this happens, in fact, especially if this happens, we should be blowing FROM up even more. That would be Ouya levels of bullshit, to fund your later release with early sales from ignorant customers.

Yeah but there were also people who liked the darkness who are now complaining that it is gone. Poor framerate is still there although I don't doubt that the game runs better now that it has been stripped from its lightning. It'd be pretty sad if it didn't.

Ok but this is meaningless

Since we dont have a perspective on the overall majority of the feedback or what decisions were made after the fact

How the hell could we possibly know if the lighting could have been kept in or not and still satisfy performance requirements

I guess itll be a good thing if From ever decides to comment on the Last gen console development and put this to rest

My biggest hope is that this thread and campaign makes them consider adding the lightning to the PC version.

If the PC version gets the lightning, there is our answer, they couldnt get it running on consoles, the end.

If the PC is missing it, then it was clearly just false advertising, no way around it.

koryuken

Serious question, if the PC version comes out and it looks exactly like PS360 but with hi-res textures/resolution, how should we react? What do people think? I am thinking this is going to be the most likely scenario -- it will not have any of the stuff in the "preview"/vertical slice build.

legacyzero

Banned
Even if this happens, in fact, especially if this happens, we should be blowing FROM up even more. That would be Ouya levels of bullshit, to fund your later release with early sales from ignorant customers.

Truth be told, I was really wondering (while watching early footage of DS2,) how the old gen consoles would run these games, seeing as it looked so good. And were'nt there a lot of people complaining during the beta about performance?

I can certainly see them scaling the game back to improve that performance, whether it substantially, or not, for those consoles.

What's bullshit, is not saying so.

Grief.exe

I tend to lean towards the optimistic in my speculation, but, honestly, a PC version with all of these graphical features game would explain all these discrepancies.

• Delaying the PC release 6 weeks as From finalized the graphical features that didn't make the console version.
  • Not showing any footage or information on the PC version during that time period.
  • The immediate downgrade in visuals between trade shows in January and console footage in February.
  • 60 FPS/1080p trailers/demos with all of the effects in place.
  • Sconces placed throughout the entire game for the, now useless, torch.

Both the final console build and the PC TGS trailer have the exact same geometry and textures. What likely happened is From designed their game engine for PC/next-gen, then had to rip out many of these features last second for performance reasons. From needs some more time to finalize all of these features for the PC version that is releasing at the end of April.

My biggest hope is that this thread and campaign makes them consider adding the lightning to the PC version.

If the PC version gets the lightning, there is our answer, they couldnt get it running on consoles, the end.

If the PC is missing it, then it was clearly just false advertising, no way around it.

I agree.

soontroll

Banned
Serious question, if the PC version comes out and it looks exactly like PS360 but with hi-res textures/resolution, how should we react? What do people think? I am thinking this is going to be the most likely scenario -- it will not have any of the stuff in the "preview"/vertical slice build.

I will hold off until a steam sale.

No

But its crazy to me that people feel duped when every multiplatform game with a PC/Nextgen version has similar gaps.

Unfortunately there is the debate surrounding the BETA/Preview builds that have yet to be commented on by FROM or resolved and thats a shame.

It does seem clear that the Beta was more graphically intensive from the previous posts (but not by such a huge margin) but its also clear that the Beta had several issues with framerate and even the full game still has some.

I find it hard to believe that anyone feels surprised by this given the lead up to it. I suppose if you had a super clean playthrough of the Beta it might stick out to you more but that wasn't universally the case by a long shot

Fair enough, your points are all valid.

Alienous

This comment in particular I mean. Have they gotten far more courtesy than they deserve?

What are you talking about?

EDIT:
Nevermind. A quick look at your post history regarding the Dark Souls 2 downgrades is all I need to see to know where you're coming from.

Kinsei

Banned

Yes they have. People seem to think that just because the game is good, it doesn't matter if From lies to and misleads the community.

Are there any comparisons of Beta vs Retail section of the game?

You mean the network test?

There is plenty of videos of it in Youtube, and im sure there are playthroughs of that area in the retail on Youtube as well.

If someone can provide me with timed links to Youtube videos I can make some comparison GIFs, I dont do it because I will get spoiled if I start going through dozens of Playthroughs until I find the same section

eot

Banned
If the PC version does look much better I hope they don't forget graphic options, my PC isn't that great haha. It's gonna look like the console versions either way.

Mkilbride

Banned
Regardless of however good the game may be, it does not excuse From.

People defending them, stop. From lied. It's simple. All we want is them to answer, a simple paragraph, even would help, a sentence, rather than the media blackout they are doing now.

Imagine watching a Blu-ray movie in a store, on one of the TV's, then going "Ok, I'll buy that movie"

You buy it. You pop it in. The colors are washed out, the detail isn't there, it's blurry, perhaps even some artifacting. Wouldn't you be upset?

Joqu

Ok but this is meaningless

Since we dont have a perspective on the overall majority of the feedback or what decisions were made after the fact

How the hell could we possibly know if the lighting could have been kept in or not and still satisfy performance requirements

I guess itll be a good thing if From ever decides to comment on the Last gen console development and put this to rest

So we're on the same page then? We do want From to comment on these changes after all, that's a big part of what this thread is about.

atr0cious

What's bullshit, is not saying so.
And I think this is the thing the naysayers aren't understanding. No one expects the PS3 to be some super computer, but when you specifically show off builds and then change it at the last moment without saying anything, after months of twich previews and interviews, go fuck yourself. You don't deserve my business.

Jarate

Banned
Yes, to number 1. Number 2, it is not just ugly -- they changed the game play mechanics as well (i will not go over this shit again, read the thread). I would have waited for the PS4 or the PC versions. I would not waste $60 on a game that looks like PS2 at times.

did you pay 60$ for Dark Souls 1?

also, people are posting screenshots of worse of the worst, anyone can find horrific screenshots of most games that are this big.

Like for instance, look at this picture of Uncharted 2, supposedly one of the best console games graphically

QjI5XOL.jpg

I think that are freaking out about the torch mechanics are also kind of silly. Torches can be super helpful in certain areas.

I understand that you guys are upset that the game doesn't look as pretty as advertised. That sucks, but the massive hyperbole in this thread is ridiculous. The game looks stellar in certain parts, and if you are a souls fan, then you will most likely like this game.

Nags

Banned

So if you get the superior upgraded PC version as a result of all this it makes everything okay.

Yeah, thanks for confirming my suspicions about some of you.

sublimit

Banned

I don't know man we've had enough Lightning for one gen.
tumblr_mo045tqLKy1s69mplo1_400.gif

:p

You know, I've been thinking about the Whopper analogy. To be honest, it does make sense, if this was you experience with the Whopper:

There's a local Burger King near you that not many people know about that does AMAZING burgers. Like these patties are some kind of crazy Kobe beef fast food magic. They recently got more popular thanks to their version of the Whopper. The manager of this Burger King is kind of shady and apparently
runs a bunch of pyramid schemes on the side, but you know the line cooks are talented people so you put up with it.

Well, now they're advertising a new Whopper, Whopper 2. Whopper 2 is basically the Whopper, but they're going nuts talking about how good the new bun is. The old bun wasn't bad, but it certainly wasn't exceptional. It did its job: delivering the patty. The manager of this Burger King and a few of the line cooks have been doing a press tour showing off Whopper 2 and the bun looks amazing. The line cooks keep saying that the new bun is really important to Whopper 2. A few people have gotten to try the bun at a restaurant franchising trade show and have confirmed that god damn, the patty is still good and the bun is great too.

The day is almost here. Whopper 2 is about to come out, but a few food critics and people who managed to find a burger early are saying that the bun isn't there anymore. The burger is still good, but this bun they've been hyping up is just gone. As a matter of fact, the bun they're using kinda looks the same - if not worse - than the original bun. You go to the BK to see what the fuss is about. You order the Whopper 2 and damn, that patty is still so good. You could eat these all day. However, your suspicions are confirmed: the bun really is gone.

You go to the counter to ask the manager what the problem is, but he's not there. The line cooks won't answer you. You can see empty boxes of the new, better bun leaning against the wall in the kitchen, but the one in your hand definitely isn't one. Confused, you turn to some other customers. "Who cares, dude? The burger is still good!" A bunch of people yell. One table is full of people on their phones tweeting at the manager that the new bun sucks. Every time you ask someone if they know why the bun was taken off at the last minute, people arrive to tell you that the patty is still good and ask why you hate Burger King. Why did you come to Burger King, asshole? You know they lie about buns all the time. It's not a big deal. The patty is still good.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Isn't the F word a bannable offense on GAF?

Correct

- Console War. Obviously arguments about consoles, platforms, and publishers are going to get heated. Don't make things worse by calling out "xbots" or "ntards" or "fanboys" or "sdf" or "xdf" or insulting someone else by calling them one of those things. Clearly some people get a bit too attached, but the best thing you can do is try to improve conversation, not make it worse by dragging it down in the mud. It's also important to make sure you aren't getting too attached. If you find yourself getting super defensive about something or claiming that everyone other than you is "biased", chances are you should probably take a little break from the thread. Don't worry about calling out others--if moderators seem to be missing the thread, just call it to our attention via PM.

...however, there's another rule that would/should come into effect as well:

- Thread Whining / Respect to Others. It's not that "Haters gonna hate" is a banned meme, it's that it's often used to be flippant and dismissive to other posters. If someone is trying to explain what they think about something, either treat them with respect or don't reply at all. So when you post "u mad", "deal with it", "haters gonna hate", "the GAF hivemind", "the usual suspects", "but GAF said x and now they're saying y!!!", "entitled whiners" or anything else that suggests that you don't care what other people think, you may be banned if it is taking away from discussion. This is getting to be a pretty big problem, and it's probably the single largest category of bans these days. If you don't want to discuss something, you don't need to post.

Which would end with bans for most of the driveby shitposters who aren't even attempting to make a case. The sheer amount of people still not understanding what the campaign is about or making oversimplified posts amounting to "fuck you, play the game and shut up" is saddening. I know you're better than that, GAF.

legacyzero

Banned
Promise -> Optimize -> Release

It is a necessary compromise. I call it software development with intention to release.

Therein lies the problem. Promise -> Optimize -> Release is not something that happens very often, except lately. People are pissed because that process line is missing one crucial bullet.

Promise -> Optimize -> FUCKING TELL EVERYONE -> Release

I think once (if) people like TotalBiscuit (as much as I dislike the guy) get's a hold of it, we'll start seeing the truth. Won't be long now.

Adaren

I don't think we should go "full lynch mob" (I don't think the person you quoted thinks that either), but it needs to be clear that the ball is in their court. Some people seem to think that we should notice the changes and be silent about them, which (in my opinion) is giving FROM/Namco way more courtesy than they deserve. They should be able to talk about their products honestly.

I remember hearing that a lot during Operation Rainfall, and I mean a lot.
"You people act so entitled wanting a company to release games! They gave you Mario, now shut up already". (real quote)

You really just have to ignore those that are against you and stick with what you want or believe because there will always be people telling you they disagree and even labeling you as crazy or extreme.
Indeed. I don't even know why we're giving these guys so much attention when they're not even trying to pay attention to what's going on.

No

But its crazy to me that people feel duped when every multiplatform game with a PC/Nextgen version has similar gaps.
Explain the good looking demo versions running fine on PS3 at TGS and press events.

Ironically, I think most of the people pushing for an acknowledgment would also identify as fanboys/fangirls of the Souls series.
Yep. We're the variety that pushes the companies to make the best products instead of sit idly and take whatever they throw at us :D

Nags

Banned
What are you talking about?

EDIT:
Nevermind. A quick look at your post history regarding the Dark Souls 2 downgrades is all I need to see to know where you're coming from.

Whatever dude your comment sounds like you're out for blood. Do you own the game? Or is the PC version you are worried about?

Einbroch

Banned
Regardless of however good the game may be, it does not excuse From.

People defending them, stop. From lied. It's simple. All we want is them to answer, a simple paragraph, even would help, a sentence, rather than the media blackout they are doing now.

Imagine watching a Blu-ray movie in a store, on one of the TV's, then going "Ok, I'll buy that movie"

You buy it. You pop it in. The colors are washed out, the detail isn't there, it's blurry, perhaps even some artifacting. Wouldn't you be upset?
Of course. But at the end of the day you were the one that purchased the Blu-Ray without doing any research.

The only people I have a problem with are the people who say "I wouldn't have purchased DS2 if I knew about these issues". These issues are relatively minor and would be obvious to someone if they just waited a few hours before rushing out and buying the game. Crap like the PS3 Skyrim issues are completely unacceptable, but this? If this is unacceptable to you, then don't buy games without reading impressions, viewing retail videos, or renting it first.

Feel free to complain, you have every right to. And you should. But I'm very apathetic to those who make ridiculous claims.

did you pay 60$ for Dark Souls 1?

also, people are posting screenshots of worse of the worst, anyone can find horrific screenshots of most games that are this big.

Like for instance, look at this picture of Uncharted 2, supposedly one of the best console games graphically

QjI5XOL.jpg

I think that are freaking out about the torch mechanics are also kind of silly. Torches can be super helpful in certain areas.

I understand that you guys are upset that the game doesn't look as pretty as advertised. That sucks, but the massive hyperbole in this thread is ridiculous. The game looks stellar in certain parts, and if you are a souls fan, then you will most likely like this game.

Bad example of a map buddy.
that level was on rails with multiple environments. Can't ask for more.

Alienous

Therein lies the problem. Promise -> Optimize -> Release is not something that happens very often, except lately. People are pissed because that process line is missing one crucial bullet.

Promise -> Optimize -> FUCKING TELL EVERYONE -> Release

Exactly.

"Hey, dedicated passionate fan base, the PS3/360 versions of the game have a different lighting method unlike that which has been shown in previous footage. And some redesigned assets. Otherwise, the content of Dark Souls 2 remains unchanged."

It isn't required, but it'd be courteous. And now, after launch having lied to people, they do need to say something about it.

Whatever dude your comment sounds like you're out for blood. Do you own the game? Or is the PC version you are worried about?

I intended to pick up the PS3 version, because it looked so good (graphically) in addition to having Dark Souls' gameplay. It seemed like a AAA treatment of the franchise. Now I'm waiting for the PC version, but From's attitude to this is turning me off.

Jarate

Banned
Indeed. I don't even know why we're giving these guys so much attention when they're not even trying to pay attention to what's going on.

Explain the good looking demo versions running fine on PS3 at TGS and press events.

Indeed. We're the variety that pushes the companies to make the best products instead of sit idly and take whatever they throw at us :D

you know that this is exactly what they are going to say, if they even say something.

"We had to downgrade the graphical quality to make certain that the framerate was stable in certain areas"

Yep. We're the variety that pushes the companies to make the best products instead of sit idly and take whatever they throw at us :D

We need proof the TGS Demo was on a PS3

And even then it was a damn demo

Beta is a much better measuring stick and while there seems to be a downgrade from the Beta at least it would have been apparent that adjustments had to be made to satisfy performance.

Especially if you were one of the people to experience performance issues during the Beta

It's not our fault that the same areas From showed in the reveal and consequent demos look that bad in the retail game.

From Cliff Bleszinski's Twitter:

hiMa0kp.png

This is the reality of game development.
The thing is, From just showed us that we can't trust the direct-to-consumer events either.

Raven77

At this point, by FROM and Namco not saying anything, they are admitting guilt.

Enough people have blasted their twitter accounts and enough news outlets are finally picking up on this that they have definitely heard about the controversy. What do we expect them to say "We deceived you. Sorry"?

If they have no ethical reason to explain what happened, then they will say nothing at all. And guess what, so far its been nothing but silence...

We need proof the TGS Demo was on a PS3
dark10x confirmed to us that he played the game on PS3.

And even then it was a damn demo

Beta is a much better measuring stick and while there seems to be a downgrade from the Beta at least it would have been apparent that adjustments had to be made to satisfy performance.

Especially if you were one of the people to experience performance issues during the Beta
Then From shouldn't have kept using old, much better looking footage to advertise the game.

It's not our fault that the same areas From showed in the reveal and consequent demos look that bad in the retail game.

The thing is, From just showed us that we can't trust the direct-to-consumer events either.

Even if the PC version delivers?

Its the damn lead platform and the last gens are basically a port. Its similar to playing Titanfall on 360 man

Mkilbride

Banned
Of course. But at the end of the day you were the one that purchased the Blu-Ray without doing any research.

The only people I have a problem with are the people who say "I wouldn't have purchased DS2 if I knew about these issues". These issues are relatively minor and would be obvious to someone if they just waited a few hours before rushing out and buying the game. Crap like the PS3 Skyrim issues are completely unacceptable, but this? If this is unacceptable to you, then don't buy games without reading impressions, viewing retail videos, or renting it first.

Feel free to complain, you have every right to. And you should. But I'm very apathetic to those who make ridiculous claims.

Yes. However, people did research, and did read reviews. The Network test from last year, had these graphics, as did the demos shown before release. As does the trailer shown on the games own page.

There was no way to know, in advance, this would happen. That is what upset people. If From had said, two weeks before release "Ok yeah guys, here is what the game really looks like", this thread would NOT EXIST.

But to say absolutely nothing? That is why people are upset.

Top Bottom