• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#DarkSoulsDowngrade and #YOULIED \\ a.k.a You got some splainin' to do, Namco

Havel

And this explains nothing about why the game was falsely advertised until release.

I expected so much more from you, From.

Garcia

I have to wonder, while having fun playing the game, did you constantly think to yourself, "Man, this is fun as hell but it sucks so bad because of _________ tech issue?" Because that doesn't sound very fun to me; in fact it sounds downright dreadful.

Yep, from beginning to end actually.

I'll just share some examples of how those technical problems got in the way and how they negatively affected my experience:

Input lag:

I'm in the middle of a boss fight. My main weapon breaks and I didn't equip a secondary weapon because of the tight equipment load I'm dealing with. The only option is to lock-on, circle around while I browse my inventory in order to quickly switch swords. "I'm sorry, were you in a hurry? (says game)", you have to wait 4 seconds before the inventory decides to show up.

This is something that happened to me a lot of times, both during solo and co-op runs.

Audio lag:

One of the most exciting battles for me was the
Executioner's Chariot
boss fight. The background song is my favorite from the entire OST; the battle is dynamic and filled with adrenaline. Imagine how mood breaking it was for me not hearing any sound effects while I kept hitting those skellys. . . Not only distracting but truly disgraceful.

(I'm an audio guy, so the constant out of syncing felt like the game showing the middle finger every time).

Gameplay lag

Excruciatingly long battle against
The Lost Sinner
, it's me and 2 other guys trying to kill him and we've been going for almost 5 minutes now. He kills them and I'm left all alone; I try to roll and dodge one of his thrust attacks but my character decided to say "fuck you, I'm dead" (full stamina bar).

Menu Lag + Loading times:

Always, constantly getting in the way whenever you want to level up (SL 145 here). Imagine the fun!

To me, having to play through the disc version was a test of patience. I sincerely can't remember any other game that put through such an ordeal. Very unfortunate because I had a blast during Co-op.

God of War 3 does not let you control the camera most of the time. Thus, they only need to optimize for one viewpoint. The God of War series is also linear, while Dark Souls is not. It is not a fair comparison between these games. A more fair comparison is a game like Dragon's Dogma or the witcher 2.

Dark souls is linear. While you can move between certain areas freely the areas are very restricted in the way you move through them. You do know that while you're not watching at a certain direction in Dark Souls (and pretty much every other game where you can control the camera freely) most of that particular area is not rendered. Just like God of War where only things that are or are about to be visible for the player is. So yeah it is a fair comparison. Only difference here is that it's easier to make sure that there is no texture glitches with just one viewpoint.

This is why no one takes you people seriously. Lol.
By people that have no idea of graphics technology. Kameo had thousands of particles on screen, geometry instancing, interactive water, day and night cycle, parallax mapping...

What does DS2 have? One shadow casting light and the framerate suffers. Amazing.

Servbot24

Banned
By people that have no idea of graphics technology. Kameo had thousands of particles on screen, geometry instancing, interactive water, day and night cycle, parallax mapping...

You can list buzz words all day mate, the game still looked like garbage.

DSII, despite occasional hiccups, looks pretty good. Not Naugty Dog good, but pretty darn good nonetheless.

Of course how good DSII looks is not the issue, and you're distracting from your own cause with that baseless complaint.

nOoblet16

What does DS2 have? One shadow casting light and the framerate suffers. Amazing.

But the shaders in Kameo are considerably more simple though, plus you also have to consider the complexity of lighting too (not saying Dark Souls is great here but compared to Kameo, it appears more complex). And there's the animation as well.

Kameo was essentially an Xbox game that got treated with some modern features when they decided to make it for 360 instead. It is why you saw parallax mapping in early 360 games and object motion blur in Perfect Dark Zero, and then these just disappeared for the next few years from games, the games released at start were not complex enough especially in terms of lighting and animations so they had the liberty of being generous with regards to adding some features.

You can list buzz words all day mate, the game still looked like garbage.

DSII, despite occasional hiccups, looks pretty good. Not Naugty Dog good, but pretty darn good nonetheless.

Of course how good DSII looks is not the issue, and you're distracting from your own cause with that baseless complaint.
Art vs tech. You confuse aesthetics with technology. And it is part of my argument. People claiming that PS3 and XB360 can't handle the TGS demos and therefor cuts had to be made are proven wrong by showing that even a 2005 game had more advanced technology and ran better.

But the shaders in Kameo are considerably more simple though, plus you also have to consider the complexity of lighting too (not saying Dark Souls is great here but compared to Kameo, it appears more complex)

On the contrary. DS2 shaders are simpler than Kameo's. Sometimes the game almost look fullbright due to that. The lighting i DS2 is much simpler. Less light sources and it's mainly static unlike Kameo's that had a full day and night dynamic cycle. Animation in DS2 is badly implemented and its shown by all the sliding a simple running animation displays.

nynt9

#YOULIED is pretty unnecessary.

The answer will be, at best, "Games change during development. We had to cut corners for performance." You know this is the answer.

So I said this in the first page, and it still stands - it's exactly the answer they gave. What were you expecting?

Servbot24

Banned
Kameo+-+Elements+of+Power++%25287%2529.jpg

Come on.

Septimius

And you are incredibly spiteful.

And how am I the minority?

Also there is a semblance of scale here. Your statement is ridiculous that I would take the stance to accept a product of any quality.

Not the case at all. This isnt Crisis to Doom2 but your reaction seems to suggest such.

There is nothing wrong with fighting for consumer rights but this is shirking the border of crying wolf. I'm not saying this is the case here but the tone of the arguments seem to suggest a reaction on par to your extreme example.

We should pick our battles and handle each circumstances with the necessary weight each one deserves. Be more reasonable and less vitriolic if you want people to take your stance seriously.

I would have been furious had the game been of poor quality but they clearly delivered a product that is better or the same as what previous games delivered on the platform as well as promising to deliver a high fidelity experience on a platform that can deliver it.

Maybe we should better examine the scale and context of the deceptive marketing as a whole since the current evidence is fragmented and riddled with assumptions.

Such as demo builds being promised as being the final product for the platform.

Wait, you're fighting this hard to play down the scandal, but you say to "pick your battles" and "be less vitriolic"? You're in here saying people essentially can't have such a strong reaction to the downgrade. People feel wronged, but you go "no, you don't", and you're basically saying FROM get's a free pass because "well, technically, it said 'this product is subject to change', so therefore everything is as it should be.

But thanks again for the laugh at you saying one should pick ones battles, when you're the one fighting hardest against the fact that FROM did something wrong.

Wait, you're fighting this hard to play down the scandal, but you say to "pick your battles" and "be less vitriolic"? You're in here saying people essentially can't have such a strong reaction to the downgrade. People feel wronged, but you go "no, you don't", and you're basically saying FROM get's a free pass because "well, technically, it said 'this product is subject to change', so therefore everything is as it should be.

But thanks again for the laugh at you saying one should pick ones battles, when you're the one fighting hardest against the fact that FROM did something wrong.

Whatever man

All the evidence I am seeing from the Beta and all the 2014 previews are showing the retial version on broad daylight

The so called TGS smoking gun is starting to look more and more like a pre built demo showcasing the PC version. Maybe there was a mistake somewhere along the line but we had plenty of opportunities to see the console version in action before buying.

All the Media previews leading up to the console release look the damn same to me. The includes the Network Test

Whatever man

All the evidence I am seeing from the Beta and all the 2014 previews are showing the retial version on broad daylight

The so called TGS smoking gun is starting to look more and more like a pre built demo showcasing the PC version. Maybe there was a mistake somewhere along the line but we had plenty of opportunities to see the console version in action before buying.

All the Media previews leading up to the console release look the damn same to me. The includes the Network Test

Your positions have shifted all over the map in this thread and now you've landed on 'they showed these downgraded graphics before release, we all just somehow didn't notice' which has to be the least convincing argument yet. You don't see an issue fine but trying to pretend that those who are somehow deluded is doing you no favours.

GTFO with that weaksauce picture.

03kameo.jpg

Come on.

If nothing else I'm way more interested in Kameo than I was before I came here, actually looks really nice. When it came out I was €600 in the PS3 hole and it was impossible to find after that near me but I might have to look again as I've developed a love for the 7/10 game with strong art direction of late

Your positions have shifted all over the map in this thread and now you've landed on 'they showed these downgraded graphics before release, we all just somehow didn't notice' which has to be the least convincing argument yet. You don't see an issue fine but trying to pretend that those who are somehow deluded is doing you no favours.

Why wouldn't my position shift as i sift through the evidence?

Plus the argument that all the media has been based on the PC version up until the Network test and 2014 Media Previews is looking more and more like the truth...

Not surprising given thats where the game was developed from the beginning.

And whether Namco was SPECIFIC about platforms during these demos of the prettiest version or guaranteed these visuals on anything outside of PC is still being debated though I think they should have clarified more from the get go....

That the excuse "PS3/XB360 couldn't handle the TGS demo" is bullshit.

Maybe they could handle a tailored demo but not the full game

I dunno. Im not sure if the Demo was every fully detailed from a technical standpoint or specified in one way or the other.

Maybe they took a snippet from a PC build, made it run on PS3, and was just showcasing it.

Maybe they could handle a tailored demo but not the full game

I dunno. Im not sure if the Demo was every fully detailed from a technical standpoint or specified in one way or the other.

Maybe they took a snippet from a PC build, made it run on PS3, and was just showcasing it.

There are many games that look better than the TGS demo. Maybe FROM couldn't handle the task but that's a whole different reason.

The jury is still out on the PC version but considering the mix of pre and post downgrade pictures on the Steam page, the best prediction is that the PC version looks the same as in consoles, just with higher-res textures and a better framerate.

ElFly

Yep, from beginning to end actually.

I'll just share some examples of how those technical problems got in the way and how they negatively affected my experience:

Input lag:

I'm in the middle of a boss fight. My main weapon breaks and I didn't equip a secondary weapon because of the tight equipment load I'm dealing with. The only option is to lock-on, circle around while I browse my inventory in order to quickly switch swords. "I'm sorry, were you in a hurry? (says game)", you have to wait 4 seconds before the inventory decides to show up.

This is something that happened to me a lot of times, both during solo and co-op runs.

Audio lag:

One of the most exciting battles for me was the
Executioner's Chariot
boss fight. The background song is my favorite from the entire OST; the battle is dynamic and filled with adrenaline. Imagine how mood breaking it was for me not hearing any sound effects while I kept hitting those skellys. . . Not only distracting but truly disgraceful.

(I'm an audio guy, so the constant out of syncing felt like the game showing the middle finger every time).

Gameplay lag

Excruciatingly long battle against
The Lost Sinner
, it's me and 2 other guys trying to kill him and we've been going for almost 5 minutes now. He kills them and I'm left all alone; I try to roll and dodge one of his thrust attacks but my character decided to say "fuck you, I'm dead" (full stamina bar).

Menu Lag + Loading times:

Always, constantly getting in the way whenever you want to level up (SL 145 here). Imagine the fun!

To me, having to play through the disc version was a test of patience. I sincerely can't remember any other game that put through such an ordeal. Very unfortunate because I had a blast during Co-op.

The menu lag doesn't happen to me (on PS3).

I mean, from time to time the item icons don't appear instantly, but it is only for a second. Never 4 seconds, that's crazy.

There are many games that look better than the TGS demo. Maybe FROM couldn't handle the task but that's a whole different reason.

The jury is still out on the PC version but considering the mix of pre and post downgrade pictures on the Steam page, the best prediction is that the PC version looks the same as in consoles, just with higher-res textures and a better framerate.

Makes me sad that it will never looks as good as that April reveal :(

At what point does/should preview footage become 'locked in'? Software development is a pretty hectic enviornment with crunch happening a lot closer to launch than people probably think. What they showed off at TGS might have been a perfectly reachable goal in their plan until something happened that prevented them from running it in a stable manner. Is their biggest crime that they thought they could ship it with the lighting engine still in tact?

They pretty much came out and said that there are parts of the game that had to be dialled back so as to end up with a shippable product. Just about every dev in the world can empathise there. Sometimes things just don't work as a whole and features get cut or reduced. Perhaps the most poignant thing about all of this is that only a few years ago, this dialogue between consumers and devs wouldn't exist in such an instant manner so we would never have known what changes, if any, had to be made and just how quickly they can be made.

I'm not saying the game hasn't been downgraded because everyone can see that things got cut. I simply don't believe it was in any way malicious. Anyone who puts time and effort into a game or any software product for so long isn't going to make drastic changes to it right before launch unless they have to. I have worked in quality assurance. Sometimes you have to just have to roll back to a far safer build because the current build is too unstable.

I can understand the disappointment because I'm sure it's a shared feeling amongst us and the devs. I just don't see the need for the hate.

Mkilbride

Banned
The hate, iif you want to call it that, comes from the fact that usually, you're made away of last minute changes.

The issue is, reviewers got copies with the debug build. The build with these lightings, and better textures. Most reviewers videos look like the footage we were expecting, and the reviews were MADE off these versions.

Then, non-press people got their versions, with unstable frame-rates, graphics looking NOTHING like what they had been shown.

So obviously people are going "Huh, what?"

I mean, this isn't a trailer from last year. We have reviews done weeks before release, based on graphics far superior.

http://youtu.be/A3MdOBH-jDc

Sullichin

The hate, iif you want to call it that, comes from the fact that usually, you're made away of last minute changes.

The issue is, reviewers got copies with the debug build. The build with these lightings, and better textures. Most reviewers videos look like the footage we were expecting, and the reviews were MADE off these versions.

Then, non-press people got their versions, with unstable frame-rates, graphics looking NOTHING like what they had been shown.

So obviously people are going "Huh, what?"

I mean, this isn't a trailer from last year. We have reviews done weeks before release, based on graphics far superior.

http://youtu.be/A3MdOBH-jDc

?? This isn't true.

And how are you qualified to say that, exactly?

1) It already ran perfectly fine on PS3s as demonstrated by the TGS demo.

2) Plenty of other games push those machines far more than what was shown.

"But while From's response may be true, it doesn't explain why publisher Namco Bandai continued to promote early footage of Dark Souls 2 as PS3 "gameplay" footage just six weeks before the game's release, or why the PS3 beta allegedly contained higher quality assets."

At least one site gets it.

Why wouldn't my position shift as i sift through the evidence?

Touché

Plus the argument that all the media has been based on the PC version up until the Network test and 2014 Media Previews is looking more and more like the truth...

Not surprising given thats where the game was developed from the beginning.

And whether Namco was SPECIFIC about platforms during these demos of the prettiest version or guaranteed these visuals on anything outside of PC is still being debated though I think they should have clarified more from the get go....

Then they really have some explaining to do as they were pushing the 'running on a PS3' argument pretty hard at many previews with the better lighting what with having PS3s there, a 'faked' XMB (see Dark10x's post) and the DS3. Whether any of the demo/builds/slices were running on a PC is not the point though, at some point they had a build for 360/PS3 that did not have that lighting but they chose not to make that clear before release. In fact you can still see that footage at multiple places advertising the 360/PS3 and we only have a forlorn hope that the Steam page has representative media for the PC version.

I can think of a lot of reasons why this wasn't communicated but none of them reflect well on FROM soft or Namco Bandai.

The review footage I'm seen certainly seems to be of the same build that was released. IGN's review seems to have it. Brad from Giant Bomb said that they had the release build.

Touché

Then they really have some explaining to do as they were pushing the 'running on a PS3' argument pretty hard at many previews with the better lighting what with having PS3s there, a 'faked' XMB (see Dark10x's post) and the DS3. Whether any of the demo/builds/slices were running on a PC is not the point though, at some point they had a build for 360/PS3 that did not have that lighting but they chose not to make that clear before release. In fact you can still see that footage at multiple places advertising the 360/PS3 and we only have a forlorn hope that the Steam page has representative media for the PC version.

I can think of a lot of reasons why this wasn't communicated but none of them reflect well on FROM soft or Namco Bandai.

Check this out

Two Previews, Both in January. I am assuming something went wrong. One Clearly looks like TGS and The other clearly looks like retail

IGN Gameplay Preview Jan 30th https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNlPl6Cfe7c

Playstation Access Jan 29th https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3MdOBH-jDc

False advertising or preview mixup?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
"But while From's response may be true, it doesn't explain why publisher Namco Bandai continued to promote early footage of Dark Souls 2 as PS3 "gameplay" footage just six weeks before the game's release, or why the PS3 beta allegedly contained higher quality assets."

At least one site gets it.

Still pretty pathetic that most of VG sites ignored this entire false marketing case and didn't cover it at all.

we -forums/twitter campaign- managed to get a comment from From (a useless one and they keep lying but still it count) yet these VG sites still putting their heads under the dirt and some even were defending it. VG sites and journalists should feel ashamed of themselves.

Clearly a mixup, but people are going to keep linking that Playstation Access video as proof of From/Namco's deception.

Thats what I am saying

Its looking like there is a very clear distinction between the PC and Console versions

Outside of promotional mixups.... whether you believe they were intentional or not.

We knew the fidelity of the Console version as early as January (or earlier if you count the beta)

Okay. They openly acknowledge the downgrades and give a reason.. alright. That's cool I suppose, though utterly vague.

My problem is that they didn't just advertise a month or so ago a game that wasn't representative of the final product, but they continue to false advertise by coupling their product with screenshots from a game you aren't getting. That's not cool. The game as is doesn't look so bad, so could you please take some new screens and put those on the back of the game case instead?

Thats what I am saying

Its looking like there is a very clear distinction between the PC and Console versions

Outside of promotional mixups.... whether you believe they were intentional or not.

We knew the fidelity of the Console version as early as January (or earlier if you count the beta)

The mixup isn't between PC and consoles, but between pre-downgrade and post-downgrade footage.

And how are you qualified to say that, exactly?
When you've seen over 100 PS3 releases, I'd say you're qualified to form a valid opinion about what seems possible for a PS3 game to look like and what not.

Given the history of the developer (the PC version of Dark souls not supporting resolutions above 720p or framerate above 30fps) it's most likely lack of time for optimalisation and lack of technical know-how that forced these downgrades, not hardware capabilities.

HRose

Banned
Okay. They openly acknowledge the downgrades and give a reason.. alright. That's cool I suppose, though utterly vague.

It's pretty obvious that the question didn't even reach actual game developers.

As long the question can't even REACH them you can't expect an answer, even less an honest one.

That one we got is merely businessman/lawyer speech, of the kind they can produce without even looking into the issue. It's like a robot writing an automatic response, you've gotta get it for the garbage it is.

Top Bottom