• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darkstalkers on PSP is heaven.

ourumov

Deffinitelly a must have for fighting game fans like Lyte Edge, MoxManiac or me :) At first I had problems with the D-PAD but right now I can perform moves with the same speed and effectivity I used to have on SS, PC (kawaks) or DC.

It's the best looking PSP game no matter what people says. It simply looks amazing on the PSP screen and you will LOVE it.

Loading times ? Sure...but if I survived the ones of SFZ2 on the SNES and SFZ3 on the PSX this IS NOTHING. They are not that bad.

Extras is what makes the game a must-have for people who already has bought SS/PSX/DC versions in the past. There is absolutelly every track, background or ending and the tower of chaos mode (a reminiscense of SFZ3 World Tour) is absolutelly pure CRACK :)

IMO the second best PSP game after RR.

I got to play some multiplayer this week and I got such a huge adrenaline rush from it, I was actually shaking after I won the match. It was amazing. I guess it was from playing someone I hardly knew for the first time.

And yeah, the game kicks ass. I want some Street Fighter on PSP like, now. SF:AC would be perfect.

DCharlie

Banned
okay, then something is DEFINITELY changed between the US and JPN version.

The load times are (JPN version) :

From end of PSP ping when the screen goes black -> Memory stick check : 27 seconds
Capcom splash -> Opening (excluding 5 seconds of capcom flasg) : 5 seconds
Start button to exit opening -> option screen : 6 seconds
option screen -> demo : 16 seconds
start game -> mode select : 5 seconds
character select to -> game start : 12 seconds
you win -> splash screen : 3 secocds
splash screen -> Subsequent fight : 12 seconds

that's a lotta loading :(

ourumov

I have the US version...Haven't played the JP one but I doubt they improved loading :p Capcom and me are old-time friends.

jarrod

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
I Love SFA3 on GBA. Not to mention KOF EX2 and Guilty Gear AE. But I'll take some loading times if that means a perfect port on a portable system. The Darkstalkers Chronicle only had content ADDED to it, which is nice to see on a portable for once.
Er, the 3 GBA fighters you mentioned had content ADDED as well. SFA3's added content being the best of those four imo. :p

Xenon

From end of PSP ping when the screen goes black -> Memory stick check : 27 seconds
Capcom splash -> Opening (excluding 5 seconds of capcom flasg) : 5 seconds
Start button to exit opening -> option screen : 6 seconds
option screen -> demo : 16 seconds
start game -> mode select : 5 seconds
character select to -> game start : 12 seconds
you win -> splash screen : 3 secocds
splash screen -> Subsequent fight : 12 seconds

Capcom getting people to buy the same games on each generation of hardware......

timeless

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
jarrod said:
Er, the 3 GBA fighters you mentioned had content ADDED as well. SFA3's added content being the best of those four imo. :p

:lol I actually thought about going more in-depth about that yesterday JUST FOR YOU Jarrod. :)

None of the games are perfect ports. SFA3 does not have all the content of the console versions (backgrounds missing, endings/story stuff gone, Chun-Li's SF2 costume sprite gone, etc.) KOF EX2 is a port of KOF 2000. It doesn't feature the entire roster. But the bottom line is that Vampire Chronicle is absolutely EVERYTHING the DC version was plus more. None of the GBA games were like that, and as good as they are, they are NOT perfect. VC on PSP looks, sounds, and feels like the original version. The GBA fighters do not.

jarrod

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
:lol I actually thought about going more in-depth about that yesterday JUST FOR YOU Jarrod. :)

None of the games are perfect ports. SFA3 does not have all the content of the console versions (backgrounds missing, endings/story stuff gone, Chun-Li's SF2 costume sprite gone, etc.) KOF EX2 is a port of KOF 2000. It doesn't feature the entire roster. But the bottom line is that Vampire Chronicle is absolutely EVERYTHING the DC version was plus more. None of the GBA games were like that, and as good as they are, they are NOT perfect. VC on PSP looks, sounds, and feels like the original version. The GBA fighters do not.
Sure... but DS Chronicle is hardly the first handheld fighter to featured ADDED content. That's all I'm getting at. 3 new fighters in SFA3 beats out a fancy survival mode I'd think too... too bad Crawfish isn't around these days, I'd love to see them porting more Capcom fighters to GBA, DS and PSP with such care.

Also, the (admittedly flawed) IGN review mentions "If you were a fan of the Dreamcast version you might miss details like the icon change for characters when you choose different fighting styles". While I admit these small detals are rather trivial, it seems even PSP can't manage EVERYTHING.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
jarrod said:
Sure... but DS Chronicle is hardly the first handheld fighter to featured ADDED content. That's all I'm getting at.

ANd I think YOU'RE missing my point that it's nice to get a game with stuff added but nothing removed. That's what I'm getting at. :)

3 new fighters in SFA3 beats out a fancy survival mode I'd think too... too bad Crawfish isn't around these days, I'd love to see them porting more Capcom fighters to GBA, DS and PSP with such care.

It's debatable, really. It was awesome how Crawfish took Yun, Maki, and Eagle from CvS2 and put them into SFA3, but at the samr time, the Tower Mode adds a lot of replay value for single player, which is most likely what people will be playing. Crawfish really did do an amazing job on SFA3, but it's still far from perfect. It's also not 100% accurate in terms of game play, never mind the obvious visual and audio downgrades.

Monorojo said:
Which has worse loading times? Darkstalkers or Untold Legends?

It's such a non-issue since once either game gets going, load times really aren't a bother. People act as if they have to wait hours inbetween load on Untold Legends, which only loads for about 15 seconds when you change areas. That's it. It's the initial load that takes so long (about a minute)

Monorojo said:
Which has worse loading times? Darkstalkers or Untold Legends?

Darkstalkers. Load times are annoying in both, but in Darkstalkers they come more frequently (unless you are popping back to the shop all the time in Untold Legends).

I have this game, but I don't really like fighters enough to deal with the loads, at least not while I have so many other games to play. I'm thinking that I'll trade it in.

jarrod

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
ANd I think YOU'RE missing my point that it's nice to get a game with stuff added but nothing removed. That's what I'm getting at. :)
Erm, sorry for the misunderstanding then, it looked to me like you were mentioning that only DS Chronicle features added content (for a change!). Though it seems DS Chronicle isn't a 100% pixel perfect port either if that's what you're getting at. :p

ourumov

MrAngryFace said:
SF3A Upper is STILL a fucking impressive effort.
Dave Murray at gamefaqs promised a lot more !!!

But they never got a cart enough big to fit all what they wanted to add. At the E3 of the previous year the game appeared with GOOD music and all the backgrounds including the Chun Li one (which is pretty impressing).

Hero

Lyte Edge said:

It's debatable, really. It was awesome how Crawfish took Yun, Maki, and Eagle from CvS2 and put them into SFA3, but at the samr time, the Tower Mode adds a lot of replay value for single player, which is most likely what people will be playing. Crawfish really did do an amazing job on SFA3, but it's still far from perfect. It's also not 100% accurate in terms of game play, never mind the obvious visual and audio downgrades.

It's such a non-issue since once either game gets going, load times really aren't a bother. People act as if they have to wait hours inbetween load on Untold Legends, which only loads for about 15 seconds when you change areas. That's it. It's the initial load that takes so long (about a minute)

Wait, wait. So you're saying that Tower Mode, which is basically just a 'fancy' survival mode, is on par or better than having additional characters? Here I thought fighting games were meant for multiplayer, not single player survival.

Amakusa

Darkstalkers was the first PSP game I picked up, I still play it when I'm going out. I knew afew others who also have it, they suck and never beat my Street fighter style playing skills.

Darkstalkers +1 in my book. Arcade and sound perfect

mosaic

go eat paint
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I had to...

Today, I tried Darkstalkers Chronicle with the d-pad attachment that came with my copy of Street Fighter Zero 3 Double Upper.

The results? I can't even gush enough. Dragon punch motions and all of those odd diagonal inputs, which used to be impossible or unreliable.... became effortless. I'm not exaggerating.

I went to my local EB Games and the dude let me try it out on a copy of Darkstalkers they had in the drawer. He's a big fan of the game, so, of course I had him play and tell me what he thought. From his comments, I thought he was going to have an orgasm in the store. The d-pad topper made a believer out of him. And then he was sad when I told him Capcom wasn't putting it on sale in North America.

Capcom, you fools, make this tiny miracle available on your web site or something! I need extras, and people who own Darkstalkers need a reason to take it off their shelves.

The d-pad add-on, does it come standard with Z3DU? If so, I better get on importing it. I'm going to want it for Darkstalkers eventually (which is just sitting on my shelf waiting for me to buy a PSP).

that attachment sounds promising.. i was so hyped when darkstalkers came out. and then my dreams were crushed as soon as i noticed the PSP d-pad just wasn't compatable with fighting games

mosaic

go eat paint
Attack You said:
The d-pad add-on, does it come standard with Z3DU?
Yes, but only while supplies last. I got mine from NCS, which says they'll update the product page when they run out.

Bebpo

Banned
mosaic said:
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I had to...

Today, I tried Darkstalkers Chronicle with the d-pad attachment that came with my copy of Street Fighter Zero 3 Double Upper.

The results? I can't even gush enough. Dragon punch motions and all of those odd diagonal inputs, which used to be impossible or unreliable.... became effortless. I'm not exaggerating.

I went to my local EB Games and the dude let me try it out on a copy of Darkstalkers they had in the drawer. He's a big fan of the game, so, of course I had him play and tell me what he thought. From his comments, I thought he was going to have an orgasm in the store. The d-pad topper made a believer out of him. And then he was sad when I told him Capcom wasn't putting it on sale in North America.

Capcom, you fools, make this tiny miracle available on your web site or something! I need extras, and people who own Darkstalkers need a reason to take it off their shelves.

So is Darkstalkers worth buying if you have the d-pad? I'm getting it from NCSX this week and was just planning on using it with GGXX and SFZ3, but hmmmmm Darkstalkers...

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Oh dear, I thought you liked only quality games MAF? Ones without broken controls.

mosaic

go eat paint
Bebpo said:
So is Darkstalkers worth buying if you have the d-pad?
Yes, but it's definitely third place behind SFZ3 and GGXX :) I couldn't believe how playable it was with the d-pad attached. Night vs. Day, I tell you.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i really need to get that d-pad cover, huh? though i don't have huge problems with the psp d-pad as is, this sounds like a big step up. i'm not crazy about sfa3, but hey.

Joico

MrAngryFace said:
SF3A Upper is STILL a fucking impressive port.

Meaningless character additions still in my opinion aren't swaying me to buy it.

GGXX though looks like the better buy...

Give me a reason to buy this game again for a different system....

I had it for GBA and it was awesome....

bengraven

I actually don't mind the PSP pad for fighting games. It could be worse (GC).

I really, really do think this is almost the perfect system for 2d fighters, though. I wish I could find a copy of Guilty Gear. And there should be a 2d KoF, a Samurai Shodown (preferably a collection), SF3...

Top Bottom