• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Datura |OT|

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Awesome video analysis btw. Makes me want to go through it again and do things differently, especially that I now understand how to calibrate the controls better. I have noticed that on the map you get the black or the white spot depending on what you do in each scenario. This is something the analysis didn't talk about, but I think this is what determines if the forest will become lighter or darker.

Question - what are the possible outcomes in the icepick scene?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Is Datura a game, or is it more of an interactive 'experience' with no story? Also, do you need the Nav controller, or only the dildowand?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Is Datura a game, or is it more of an interactive 'experience' with no story? Also, do you need the Nav controller, or only the dildowand?
No Nav controller needed. I'd say it's an experience first, game second, there's some light puzzles but the game is not worth playing for those. I actually think Flower does the 'game' part better than this game, due to those levels that required fluid but precision movement. The story is that you're dying and hallucinating, and your mind is experiencing dreamlike variations of things you've seen through the life.

It's worth noting that while their previous effort (Linger in Shadows) was perhaps the best and most accomplished game in the "Find-the-hidden-item-on-screen" genre - something that reviews didn't ever seemed to have picked up on, (probably because they were unfamiliar of the existence of this casual gaming genre in the first place) - this game is definitely not among the best in the puzzling gameplay department it attempts. So in a way they have regressed here despite making far more complex playing game. There's one or two puzzles in the game, both involving water, that are neat, and make you wish they utilized that kind of thing a lot more than the dumb gesture based parts.

KalBalboa

Banned

It's non-linear and involves puzzle solving & moments where skill is important, which I think helps establish it as a game... but it's a 90 minute experience.

Oh, and you only need one Move.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Am I calibrating this wrong or something? Why are the motion controls for controlling the hand objectively awful?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Am I calibrating this wrong or something? Why are the motion controls for controlling the hand objectively awful?
To me it looked like I always needed to raise my own hand too high to get to even see the avatar hand in front of me. Didn't like that, but the video you can watch above explains that you can calibrate it in such a way that this won't be the case. Just don't pull your hand all the way up to your face on the 2nd calibration step. Keep it lower.
The controls are clunky though, and they sadly do get in the way of the experience.

It's at 5m15s in the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7rtL8Caqhg#t=5m15s

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Are the calibration tips in TTP's 17-min video at what point?

I also felt the hand is always massively low down to what I'm seeing his perfect 1:1 stuff on screen as, so eager to get this shit calibrated right.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Are the calibration tips in TTP's 17-min video at what point?

I also felt the hand is always massively low down to what I'm seeing his perfect 1:1 stuff on screen as, so eager to get this shit calibrated right.

Starts at 5:15 as posted by Lord Error.

Also bare in mind that distance along the Z-axis between virtual hand and virtual shoulder affects camera orientation. Right after having calibrated, you'll notice the camera moves sort of crazy until you push the hand a little bit forward to make it settle. That's because right after calibration the hand is basically overlapping the camera pivotal point.

What I'd suggest doing then is to bring the Move sphere close to your right clavicle (if you are right handed) at the calibration 2nd step and then bring it slightly forward when in game.

You can relax you arm when moving around as the camera automatically levels. Not so when turning around (when holding down X): in that case you need to bring the hand back up at shoulder level even tho there is no hand to be seen on screen. That's a flaw I forgot to mention in the video. I usually never use X to turn around on the spot. I simply hold down Move button and tilt the controller more.

Question - what are the possible outcomes in the icepick scene?

You fall regardless. But you get a PSN torphy if you go for the trophy

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Datura is a game that I think would have been a lot better if it had less fussy controls. The way it is, you're often pulled out of the carefully built atmosphere and experience, every time there's a locked-gesture moment, prompt to be read etc. It's a shame as they clearly had the ability to implement more organic approach to these things, as manifested in one of the better puzzle moments in the game -
when you use the hand to plug the gutter

Spot on. And also when you have to press the numbers on the gates. I love that kind of physics based interactions. Wish the whole game interactions were like that :/

KalBalboa

Banned
Spot on. And also when you have to press the numbers on the gates. I love that kind of physics based interactions. Wish the whole game interactions were like that :/

Agreed. Those moments of truly interactive motion controls are all but completely missing on the Wii, Kinect, and Move. Datura has some moments where you see just what is possible, though.

EGM1966

I liked it - but I tend to like anything like this. The atmosphere and "look" of the title were satisfying although being "Rayman" was a little offputting.

Movement controls I found fine but the interaction controls were a bit disappointing. The issue I thought was having to click a button to "engage" interaction mode then make a shown guesture - this was a shame as the Move could clearly have supported a much more freeform input.

But I found that to be fairly minor once I just accepted it and followed instructions.

For all it's flaws the title convinced me that Move (and arguably Kinect) need a really good adventure/puzzle game - this is how I'd like to play "point and click".

I wish there were titles that took advantage of more control options though. Two move controls (one for each hand) would be great for an adventure/puzzle title.

EDIT: one element that was terrific though was the map. Raising and lower or moving it and feeling 1 to 1 with my input was quite the thing. Made me wonder how the whole game would have felt if all the interaction was that seamless. I reckon Move could do it the fauilure was the control scheme design itself rather than the tech.

irkutsk12

Neo Member
I found a very interesting article about Datura interpretation:

http://postplay.tumblr.com/post/23099412054/theforbiddenfruit

If it's too long for you go to the part called "Crossroad", where the author implies that the true Datura meaning is to resemble the Sacred Way or Passion of the Christ. The guy has its points. It's uncomplete thou. Maybe a DLC? The final interpretation of the author goes into a direction where Datura opposes to a common taboo in current games which is Christian mythology. What do you think about it?

Toppot

This is an arty game, reminded me a little of The Path. The controls did feel weird, I'd rather have the Nav be used to walk around and the Move to be used to look around and then held up to use the hand.

The whole Jesus thing posted above makes sense for the 'story' of the game. I need to play it again and make different choices. Is there a list of the choices you can make?

It's an interesting experience overall, not really worth the price of admission even with PS+ discount, unless you really like short abstract games. It reminds me I need to pick up Linger in Shadow and I look forward to what Plastic have up next =]

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I found a very interesting article about Datura interpretation:

http://postplay.tumblr.com/post/23099412054/theforbiddenfruit

If it's too long for you go to the part called "Crossroad", where the author implies that the true Datura meaning is to resemble the Sacred Way or Passion of the Christ. The guy has its points. It's uncomplete thou. Maybe a DLC? The final interpretation of the author goes into a direction where Datura opposes to a common taboo in current games which is Christian mythology. What do you think about it?

I think that he is spot on ;)

Melchiah

Just seen that the soundtrack is free on the UK (Probably all EU) PlayStation store

Link to it online here.

Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: On a side note, it's beyond me why the soundtracks have to be both unzipped and installed. The process took me longer than to download the file.

Bought the game on sale, played through it in 2 sessions, just finished it, all I can say is WTF?!?!?

I liked it though. Sometimes it's cool just to have new experiences even if they don't make a whole lot of sense.

My only complaint is I don't like the reliance on the triangle button to get into position for the puzzles. It felt very inorganic, I can understand why they did it but I wish they didn't have to.

Top Bottom