• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] PlayStation Portal - Decent Hardware But Does Remote Play Cut It?

DragonNCM

If Microsoft made an Xcloud device, they would be talking differently....

Expect the same for every Playstation hardware they review...

There's nothing on the market that gives a better remote play experience for $200
Except there is, you can play it on your tablet or phone with bluetooth controller for 50$

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
The biggest thing for me is the lcd or compression smearing when you turn. In my case head to head vs chaiki on.the steam deck oled it makes it look less attractive.
Maybe this will be reduced with a new screen or less compression, not sure which is causing it.

That said, it's still a great device overall that works well, as long as you don't have thr stark contrast next to it. (Like a mcdonalds burger tastes pretty good until you put it head to head vs a five guys burger)

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Except there is, you can play it on your tablet or phone with bluetooth controller for 50$
He used his words carefully. he said better remote play experience.....

There's nothing on the market that gives a better remote play experience for $200
Hes right about that. You can pair your existing ps5 controller for free instead of buying a new one for $50 to your tablet, but its not the same. the actual streaming part might be identical, but the controller wont have haptics, it wont be attached, and the screen isnt good enough. Its simply not convenient enough.

is $200 too high a price for convenience? definitely, but in terms of remote play. this is by far the best experience for that price.

The biggest thing for me is the lcd or compression smearing when you turn. In my case head to head vs chaiki on.the steam deck oled it makes it look less attractive.
Maybe this will be reduced with a new screen or less compression, not sure which is causing it.
It might be on a game by game basis. I noticed this in Horizon, but only in the 30 fps mode. not in the 60 fps mode. Did not notice it in callisto, ratchet or spiderman 2.

it could also be caused by vrr on your ps5.

THE DUCK

Hes right about that. You can pair your existing ps5 controller for free instead of buying a new one for $50 to your tablet, but its not the same. the actual streaming part might be identical, but the controller wont have haptics, it wont be attached, and the screen isnt good enough. Its simply not convenient enough.

is $200 too high a price for convenience? definitely, but in terms of remote play. this is by far the best experience for that price.

It might be on a game by game basis. I noticed this in Horizon, but only in the 30 fps mode. not in the 60 fps mode. Did not notice it in callisto, ratchet or spiderman 2.

I saw it everywhere on games including spiderman and ratchet but never thought change vrr. (Even took a video of ratchet but don't see an easy way to upload here) I guess someone could test with vrr on or off and see if it affects anything. I don't have the portal anymore to try myself. If this does affect things badly, poor work by Sony to not have the ps5 disable this automatically when it detects remote play is active.

Last edited:

Ansphn

That said, it's still a great device overall that works well, as long as you don't have thr stark contrast next to it. (Like a mcdonalds burger tastes pretty good until you put it head to head vs a five guys burger)
The bolded part is not normal. I don't get that. What game is giving you that smearing? I played Returnal, a fast moving game for 3 hours online CO-OP and didn't notice any smearing or slow downs.

1. What is your internet UP & Down?
2. Did you disable HDCP on your PS5?

I think this is the crux of it.

Could the Portal be a better product? I think so, but you've got to review the product largely for what it delivers. You can caveat it by saying you need good WiFi to make it work, but that can't be a knock on the product itself.

That's like saying someone who has bad eyesight has a worse experience with gaming, so it's the platform manufacturers' fault. You can't build all your products for the lowest common denominator nor should you.

THE DUCK

The bolded part is not normal. I don't get that. What game is giving you that smearing? I played Returnal, a fast moving game for 3 hours online CO-OP and didn't notice any smearing or slow downs.

1. What is your internet UP & Down?
2. Did you disable HDCP on your PS5?

1. I have 300 down and 100 up, and $700 netgear router system. I get excellent coverage. Ps5 is hardwired to ethernet. With that said, the router matters but the internet speed does not, local portal play is not routed via the internet.

2. Yes, and it helped.

Last edited:

Ansphn

1. I have 300 down and 100 up, and $700 netgear router system. I get excellent coverage. Ps5 is hardwired to ethernet. With that said, the router matters but the internet speed does not, local portal play is not routed via the internet.

2. Yes, and it helped.
Probably stupid question but are you connected to 5G wifi or 2.4G wifi when using Portal?

SlimySnake

I saw it everywhere on games including spiderman and ratchet but never thought change vrr. (Even took a video of ratchet but don't see an easy way to upload here) I guess someone could test with vrr on or off and see if it affects anything. I don't have the portal anymore to try myself. If this does affect things badly, poor work by Sony to not have the ps5 disable this automatically when it detects remote play is active.
I will test tonight and report back. i did not see it in ratchet but i did turn off vrr in game before trying. i havent turned off hdcp, vrr or hdr in the ps5 system setting because fuck that. Its definitely on sony to not catch these issues during testing of a major hardware release. They should automatically toggle off when you start remote play then revert back after you disconnect.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Not even close to the same with the tiny screen and crappy controllers, plus it kills your phone that you generally use for other things.

most phones have a much better screen than the portal these days and better wifi.

but anyway if you already have a laptop/phone/tablet and ps5 controller you already have the best way to stream your ps5 in your home.

The portal isn't a dumb product more than an uneeded product.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
most phones have a much better screen than the portal these days and better wifi.

but anyway if you already have a laptop/phone/tablet and ps5 controller you already have the best way to stream your ps5 in your home.

Convenience

Laying in bed and cant sleep and I can use this thing way easier then my ipad with a controller

Then people have to ask if $200 is worth that

THE DUCK

As far as oled goes, sure, but a 6.7" wrong aspect ration phone screen is actually massively smaller, like 50% smaller.
Tablet or laptop is unwieldy and awkward, so not the best way for many people. This is just pick up and play.

StereoVsn

Sorry I dont understand. Right now, i have three connection options available for my router. 2G, 5G, and 6G. Signal is full strength for my 2G connection, 3 bars for my 5G connection and 2 for my 6G connection. Are you saying that even if i select 2G instead of 6G, i will get 6G enhancements?
WiFi 6 (and especially 6e) offers better multi device management and latency advantages at 5Ghz as well.

SlimySnake

WiFi 6 (and especially 6e) offers better multi device management and latency advantages at 5Ghz as well.
Thanks. Is that why I dont see Wifi 6 connections on my PS5 and PC both of which support wifi 6? Because they support wifi 6 protocol but not the actual 6Ghz signal? it was driving me nuts until i got my new work laptop and immediately started showing the 6G connection.

StereoVsn

Thanks. Is that why I dont see Wifi 6 connections on my PS5 and PC both of which support wifi 6? Because they support wifi 6 protocol but not the actual 6Ghz signal? it was driving me nuts until i got my new work laptop and immediately started showing the 6G connection.
It could be that. Don’t think PS5 supports that band but does support the protocol. On PC side, really depends on what hardware it uses.

SlimySnake

It could be that. Don’t think PS5 supports that band but does support the protocol. On PC side, really depends on what hardware it uses.
Its the B560 tomahawk wifi. Got it because of Wifi6, but the damn thing wont show any 6G connections. Updated the drivers and everything.

From the manual. Looks like it should support 6g bands. Figured it was a router issue and gave up, but my new work laptop picked it up immediately.

Intel®Wi-Fi 6E AX210​

• The Wireless module is pre-installed in the M.2 [Key-E] slot
  • Supports MU-MIMO TX/RX, 2.4GHz/ 5GHz/ 6GHz 1(160MHz) up to 2.4Gbps
  • Supports 802.11 a/ b/ g/ n/ ac/ ax
  • Supports Bluetooth® 5.22, FIPS, FISMA
  1. Wi-Fi 6E 6GHz may depend on every country’s regulations and will be ready in WIN10 21H1.
  2. Bluetooth 5.2 will be ready in WIN10 21H1.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
There is an official Sony made remote play app and Sony themselves tell you how to connect a controller to play on Android or iOS tablets on their website.

Which part is the bold face lie?

That it's the "exact same experience". It's not. Having a one-piece device in hand is a different experience that playing on an iPad with a DS controller.

Zathalus

Which they mentioned in the other video. Definitely bothered them.
I know you are trying to imply that Sony has a problem with them, but DFs coverage of anything Sony hardware related has been extremely positive.

Don't believe me? Just read the review they did of the PSVR2, or the PS5 console itself, or basically any first party Sony game. They basically stumble over themselves in praise.

This review conclusion is not even negative, Richard likes the hardware and even points out it has a great LCD screen. What he is not impressed with is the rather lackluster software side of things.

FrankWza

That it's the "exact same experience". It's not. Having a one-piece device in hand is a different experience that playing on an iPad with a DS controller.
Which is why they decide to keep bringing up WiiU. Except, it's not the same there either. There's no comparison Because there's no comparison. You can get the same comfort and DualSense features with a different device and you can't get portability with a separate screen and dedicated dualsense.
And did WiiU allow Bluetooth headphones to be used? Probably not because adding more wireless protocols causes interference. The thing that is making people insane is that someone would pay for convenience and comfort.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Which is why they decide to keep bringing up WiiU. Except, it's not the same there either. There's no comparison Because there's no comparison. You can get the same comfort and DualSense features with a different device and you can't get portability with a separate screen and dedicated dualsense.
And did WiiU allow Bluetooth headphones to be used? Probably not because adding more wireless protocols causes interference. The thing that is making people insane is that someone would pay for convenience and comfort.

BOOM!!!! That bolded is the truth. Some people are acting as if they can't comprehend how the Portal can be comfortable and convenient to have.

FrankWza

I know you are trying to imply that Sony has a problem with them, but DFs coverage of anything Sony hardware related has been extremely positive.

Don't believe me? Just read the review they did of the PSVR2, or the PS5 console itself, or basically any first party Sony game. They basically stumble over themselves in praise.

This review conclusion is not even negative, Richard likes the hardware and even points out it has a great LCD screen. What he is not impressed with is the rather lackluster software side of things.
I didn't imply anything. I flat out said it. They're annoyed that they didn't get a review unit early like every one else and couldn't help themselves from mentioning it in their video last week. And this isn't the first time. It happened when the PS5 launched as well. They're a tech comparison site and they're comparing this to a WiiU... That's all you need to know.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Sony has been attacking “remote play” since 2006 with the psp, it arrived way back than.

FrankWza

BOOM!!!! That bolded is the truth. Some people are acting as if they can't comprehend how the Portal can be comfortable and convenient to have.
There are no surprises on the negative. It works as a remote play device with full haptics. If anything, the screen is better than anyone thought it would be. You can add a Bluetooth adapter if you're insistent on subpar gaming audio too. This is without one single update or added features. Its making people crazy and in multiple threads.

Zathalus

I didn't imply anything. I flat out said it. They're annoyed that they didn't get a review unit early like every one else and couldn't help themselves from mentioning it in their video last week. And this isn't the first time. It happened when the PS5 launched as well. They're a tech comparison site and they're comparing this to a WiiU... That's all you need to know.
What do you need to know? That the Portal cannot do basic things that the Vita could? The Vita could direct connect with the PS4, so why can't this vastly more capable device do the same? There is no technical reason it should not be able to. It is 100% a valid complaint, if I'm in range of my PS5 why not give me the option, as a direct connection would cut down on latency. Sure you won't have the same range as your router, but allow for switching between the two. Also allow me to change the bitrate as well, why on earth is 15Mbps still the cap?

I like my Portal but the software side of things is absolutely half assed. DF just glossing over these things would be doing a disservice.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
They're a tech comparison site and they're comparing this to a WiiU... That's all you need to know.

Why is that bad / wrong ? It's the closest native console analog to compare to. They can't compare with a Deck cause that runs native apps.

StereoVsn

What do you need to know? That the Portal cannot do basic things that the Vita could? The Vita could direct connect with the PS4, so why can't this vastly more capable device do the same? There is no technical reason it should not be able to. It is 100% a valid complaint, if I'm in range of my PS5 why not give me the option, as a direct connection would cut down on latency. Sure you won't have the same range as your router, but allow for switching between the two. Also allow me to change the bitrate as well, why on earth is 15Mbps still the cap?

I like my Portal but the software side of things is absolutely half assed. DF just glossing over these things would be doing a disservice.
Yep, direct console connection and PS4 support should have been there. Fine, Sony doesn’t want to throw a bone to their PS4 legacy audience. How about PS5 then for that direct connection or why not let people use it as a controller?

Hell, Vita also supported Bluetooth 10 years ago. Switch supports it now, so does every phone, Steam Deck, windows handheld and laptop and more. Yet somehow Bluetooth would cause interference in Sony Portal which has a common phone SoC.

Oh wait, miraculously Sony’s $200 earbuds are fine and no interference is caused there. Yeah, it’s overall better and lower latency protocol but modern Bluetooth is fine and as an option should be there.

But no, people are stanning for Sony and piling on DF who brought up pretty valid issues.

Three

Why is that bad / wrong ? It's the closest native console analog to compare to. They can't compare with a Deck cause that runs native apps.
It really isn't because you can't play remotely on a Wii U. Its console analog is closer to this thing from nvidia when it launched:

767px-NvidiaShieldPortable.jpg

They are really trying to force a Wii U comparison. Nvidia shield was $299 in 2013 by the way.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It really isn't because you can't play remotely on a Wii U. It's analogy is closer to this thing from nvidia when it launched:

True, it makes a direct connection which is what makes the latency, or lack thereof, far better there than the Portal.

It's something the Portal could/should have done when in range of the system it's connected to.

Jesb

Does it actually work? I just bought the ps backbone and my iPhone can’t connect to the remote play app.

Three

True, it makes a direct connection which is what makes the latency, or lack thereof, far better there than the Portal.

It's something the Portal could/should have done when in range of the system it's connected to.
that makes the Wii U pad far less useful when you have to be in the same room as it or otherwise not be able to use it at all. For the people who paid attention though they would know that remote play supported a direct connection in the past that gave users a worser experience as they were using it further away from their console

They even purposely removed the feature on their mobile app. They can add this back tomorrow if they like but they have the data. They know people will try to walk to the bedroom and get a worser experience if it was directly connected or switching between networks.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Did some comparisons with the screen and my oled. Screen really holds up well here.

THE DUCK THE DUCK Did several tests today with vrr on and off while spinning the camera in ratchet and spiderman, and didnt see any loss of detail. in spiderman, i was looking at the street numbers and they looked clear even while panning. the game has motion blur but other than that, there was no loss of detail. The only time i saw loss of detail was when i was running around in horizon and it started to rain. the remote play just struggled to display rain effects and started downgrading the resolution. And as i mentioned earlier, it just struggles to render detail in the fidelity mode. Its clear the bandwidth required needs to be higher than 1080p 60 fps for this particular game.

Jesb

It works pretty well if you have a good enough router but why won’t your phone connect?
When ps4 gives me the number to enter on iPhone for remote play I get this error number. Ce-35406-8. It also says something like can’t connect right user or something. But I deleted any other accounts on my ps4. But I did notice on the remote play app that my nephews name is on there. But it doesn’t make sense because I deleted his accounts on my ps4.

SlimySnake

that makes the Wii U pad far less useful when you have to be in the same room as it or otherwise not be able to use it at all. For the people who paid attention though they would know that remote play supported a direct connection in the past that gave users a worser experience as they were using it further away from their console

They even purposely removed the feature on their mobile app. They can add this back tomorrow if they like but they have the data. They know people will try to walk to the bedroom and get a worser experience if it was directly connected or switching between networks.

Yeah, i figured it was something like that. Like how would the system determine you are upstairs where the connection is worse? And when to switch from the ps5 to the home wifi? and would that kill the feed and reconnect?

that said, i think the wii u had pretty good range. i dont remember testing it too much but it had a unique wireless chip built into it that the ps4 and vita lacked. the range was roughly 50-100 feet so it should be good around the house unless you live in a mansion. i dont know if the chip was built into the wii u console or the wii u tablet, but if it was the wii u console then sony cant do much with it other than adding that dedicated chip to ps5s going forward.

Anyway, i just tested this upstairs again and the system worked flawlessly. if there was lag or banding or pixelation, i didnt notice it. My PS5 is roughly 50 feet away from my router, and has to go through 2 bathrooms and 5 walls. the room upstairs is directly above my gaming room so add another 20 feet. but only one wall. Its mind blowing how good ratchet and horizon look on a small screen.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
When ps4 gives me the number to enter on iPhone for remote play I get this error number. Ce-35406-8. It also says something like can’t connect right user or something. But I deleted any other accounts on my ps4. But I did notice on the remote play app that my nephews name is on there. But it doesn’t make sense because I deleted his accounts on my ps4.
Sadly the Portal won’t connect to a PS4 as far as I know and yeah that error shows not the same account on the PS and the app on your phone

Jesb

Sadly the Portal won’t connect to a PS4 as far as I know and yeah that error shows not the same account on the PS and the app on your phone
Oh ok. Thats an odd choice. I don’t get it. I thought remote play is a universal feature as long as it’s ps4 or ps5. As for my issue with it not connecting to my iPhone. I can’t figure it out why it thinks there’s multiple users. Only have one account on my PS4 and I’m using that account on my iPhone to log in but getting this error about not finding user.

Killjoy-NL

I have a S23, which has a much smaller screen than Portal, so your argument flies right out the window.

That alone makes Portal a much cheaper alternative, alongside it's convenience.

"But you can buy a better/bigger phone or a tablet with much more functionality" is a non-argument, because if I had a need for that, I already would've bought those.

Some people really are dense and are just whining for the sake of whining.

Last edited:

Three

Yeah, i figured it was something like that. Like how would the system determine you are upstairs where the connection is worse? And when to switch from the ps5 to the home wifi? and would that kill the feed and reconnect?
It can test the signal strength to switch networks but it wouldn't work well because in fringe areas it can lead to trouble as it constantly changes and adds continuous latency or disconnects (depending on the timeout they go with). They did the best thing using only the one network I think. Nowadays a lot of people's home routers have Wifi 6 mesh networks which is designed for extended range and low latency.
that said, i think the wii u had pretty good range. i dont remember testing it too much but it had a unique wireless chip built into it that the ps4 and vita lacked. the range was roughly 50-100 feet so it should be good around the house unless you live in a mansion. i dont know if the chip was built into the wii u console or the wii u tablet, but if it was the wii u console then sony cant do much with it other than adding that dedicated chip to ps5s going forward.
I think it was based on proprietary 802.11n and Miracast. Its range wasn't that good but it depended on your environment, officially Nintendo said only the same room and 26ft is supported. So some people were surprised if it worked in an adjoining room or longer distances and said it had good range. The Wii Us range wasn't anywhere near 100ft in real world scenarios though. In the real world people often place their console in an entertainment cabinet, have no line of sight with possibly concrete walls between rooms, and have other wireless devices that cause interference. You might be able to get 100ft or more in controlled environments only. Using the Wii U screen in another room isn't officially recommended and is usually spotty in the real world though as far as I remember it.

Last edited:

Three

How is Portal's screen quality compared to the upper end AMOLED phone screens?
My guess would be that a good AMOLED phone is better in IQ but they are also usually smaller so not as good as the Portal to use, especially if the game you're playing has small text menus.

THE DUCK

Did some comparisons with the screen and my oled. Screen really holds up well here.

THE DUCK THE DUCK Did several tests today with vrr on and off while spinning the camera in ratchet and spiderman, and didnt see any loss of detail. in spiderman, i was looking at the street numbers and they looked clear even while panning. the game has motion blur but other than that, there was no loss of detail. The only time i saw loss of detail was when i was running around in horizon and it started to rain. the remote play just struggled to display rain effects and started downgrading the resolution. And as i mentioned earlier, it just struggles to render detail in the fidelity mode. Its clear the bandwidth required needs to be higher than 1080p 60 fps for this particular game.

It looked similar to me sitting still like that, the portal is a very nice screen in bright scenes. I uploaded my test:

Steam deck oled:

Sony portal:

You can see clearly as the camera swings how the portal is much more blurry, even at lower turning speeds. Well its harder to see on youtube with it's crappy compression, but the original files have almost no blur on the oled and plenty on the portal.
Watching them again in thier uncompressed form just made me feel less crazy. Maybe my eyes are just oled spoiled and it's just regular old lcd bluring, since almost all of my devices are oled? My monitor and most of Tv's now are oled.......

CGNoire

4-5 frames of lag is borderline unplayable. For slower cinematic or turn based stuff it would at least be playable. Anything fast paced or requiring accurate inputs pretty much out the window.

Of course people will claim they're playing it on the other side of the world perfectly fine. To those people I say be thankful you couldn't notice lag if it were kicking you square in the dick
Yep...4-5 frames is worse than Killzone 2.

Killjoy-NL

Yep...4-5 frames is worse than Killzone 2.
This makes me wonder how many of those having trouble with the minor delay also have experience gaming on PC?

There are also people saying 30fps is unplayable and games ought to be 60fps minimum.
In that case, maybe I can understand why some have so much issues with 4-5 delay.
And tbh, I pity them.

Also, KZ2 was great.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Here is the switch vs portal screen comparison. tried to match up the time of day as best as i could to get the brightest time of day. Damn rain in BOTH games kept coming. Cant believe this is the one thing HFW took from botw.

youtube is blowing up the colors and destroying all detail. i hate it. no idea why its not uploading in 4k either. maybe its the hdr conversion?

CGNoire

This makes me wonder how many of those having trouble with the minor delay also have experience gaming on PC?

There are also people saying 30fps is unplayable and games ought to be 60fps minimum.
In that case, maybe I can understand why some have so much issues with 4-5 delay.
And tbh, I pity them.

Also, KZ2 was great.
Kz2 was great despite its lag.

SlimySnake

It looked similar to me sitting still like that, the portal is a very nice screen in bright scenes. I uploaded my test:

Steam deck oled:

Sony portal:

You can see clearly as the camera swings how the portal is much more blurry, even at lower turning speeds. Well its harder to see on youtube with it's crappy compression, but the original files have almost no blur on the oled and plenty on the portal.
Watching them again in thier uncompressed form just made me feel less crazy. Maybe my eyes are just oled spoiled and it's just regular old lcd bluring, since almost all of my devices are oled? My monitor and most of Tv's now are oled.......

I can see it in your video yes. this happens to me in horizon. but not in ratchet or other games. but i havent tested the other ones too much. so maybe this is contextual like horizon fw during rain or when there is a lot of foliage on screen.

i uploaded my ratchet test. can you see it here? i see standard motion blur but no pixelated artifacts.

Callisto is fine too.

youtube and imgur are killing all the detail my phone already failed to capture, and its killing me. no wonder everyone thinks the screen sucks, videos just cant capture the beauty of the screen.

Top Bottom