• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dave Chappelle - Collection 1 |OT| Netflix Standup Special - It's a Celebration

Status
Not open for further replies.
k0tOQJS.jpg

Its up!

Netflix Original.

Sixty Mil

jurgen

Interested to see how this turns out. Netflix's stand-up specials have been all over the place recently. From bad (Schumer) to good (Norton) to underwhelming (Burr).

Sheroking

So far so good. Hit a lul with his oscar bit, but brought it back with OJ story #2.

For those of you familiar with cracked.com, random Michael Swaim audience cameo at 24:50.

bud

i thought there was supposed to be a standup produced by netflix as well. is it still coming?

all i'm seeing are two older specials.

Smo21

i thought there was supposed to be a standup produced by netflix as well. is it still coming?

all i'm seeing are two older specials.
I believe these are two fr his personal collection that haven't been released before. New one coming later this year

Sheroking

The trans material that got him into a bit of trouble is halfway through the first special.

As expected, the terminally offended blogger who reported these "disgusting jokes" failed to communicate the point or the tone.

So much for Dave the bigot.

Moze

Banned
The trans material that got him into a bit of trouble is halfway through the first special.

As expected, the terminally offended blogger who reported these "disgusting jokes" failed to communicate the point or the tone.

So much for Dave the bigot.

What is the point then? I have seen some transphobic material from him. He often uses the term 'tranny' too.

Sheroking

What is the point then? I have seen some transphobic material from him. He often uses the term 'tranny' too.

This particular bit is the one that got him in trouble.

He talks about how he was schooled on LGBT rights by a friend of his wife and segues into how he was impressed by how accepting the media was of Caitlyn Jenner's transition. He then jokes that he was jealous as a black man, because while trans people have the "toughest road ahead", he wondered how they started to beat black people in the "prejudice special olympics" and went on to do a ridiculous mime about black people in the hood wearing pumps for safety.

To read it in print you'd think he went on some kind of diatribe, but no, this is an absurdist bit of comedy clearly not meant to be his personal TED talk on his feelings towards the trans community. And it's obvious to anyone who isn't going out of their way to misconstrue or take him out of context.

He doesn't use that slur here, but in the safe space that is a comedy show, it's context not content that should be offensive. Ask him about Carlin using the N-word and see if he thinks that's offensive. I guarantee you it's a "no".

Just finished watching. The Oscar part was the only part that stood out. It just wasn't very good and took too much time to set up for some okay punchlines.

My favorite bit was just a throwaway line

Imagine if Making a Murderer was about a black guy. They'd call it DUUUUUUUUUH

Had to pause on that one lol. I'll watch the second one tomorrow. Overall pretty good. Kevin Hart bit was great.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Not sure if I just missed Dave but part 1 starts very strongly imo, im loving it.

50 minutes into the first show and I gotta say it's good. Mr Juice. Lol. But there's this one audience member whose gotta be the worst. She hasn't laughed at show long and just has this stone face. Ffs laugh lady.

Yo I spot a Tyler Malka in the second special in the front row...

Also that one line about female gynecologist saying the word pussy, had me in tears. That clicking sound he made!

HotHamBoy

Pretty funny in general but... he gets some shit on his shoes and it doesn't really pay off.

Those gay jokes were straight out of the 90's.

lol at all the discrimination Olympics

"She said, 'Suffering is suffering. What's the difference?'
I said, 'Come on, white woman, you know what it is. You was in on the heist. You just don't like your cut!' "

awesome special from my favorite comedian. one I'll definitely be coming back to several times. really missed dave's mix of gallows humor, social commentary and absurdism. just finished the first collection about to watch the 2nd.

"You know how much money you need to have to tell a girl to shut the fuck up? I have 'Quiet, please' money at best. I'd have to take a loan out for 'Shut the fuck up'. 'Shut the fuck up', that's Jay Z money. And Beyonce got 'No, you shut the fuck up' money."

Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom