• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dave Chappelle - Collection 1 |OT| Netflix Standup Special - It's a Celebration

Status
Not open for further replies.

farisr

Oh man, can't wait to watch these. Won't be able to till the weekend though, as friends are say they want to watch it together.

Personally liked the first one a bit better.

Dave still got game. Delivery and facial expressions are perfect. But the material was so so. Hopefully the third show will be Dave on full steam with material matching the quality of the presenter.

JABEE

Dave still has it. I'm excited for Norm MacDonald's stand-up special and Dave's third one. Pretty crazy how many comedy specials there are today.

I felt the 2nd special was stronger. The crowd was better. If I had one criticism of both specials, it's how often they flashed to the crowd and the stage set-up with different people. It made it more obvious each special was filmed over multiple dates/times.

I feel some of Dave's bits like the Lil Wayne one in the second show would have worked great as a sketch. Is Dave getting a show as part of his Netflix deal or is he doing all stand-up?

Dynomutt

Dave still has it. I'm excited for Norm MacDonald's stand-up special and Dave's third one. Pretty crazy how many comedy specials there are today.

I feel some of Dave's bits like the Lil Wayne one in the second show would have worked great as a sketch. Is Dave getting a show as part of his Netflix deal or is he doing all stand-up?

Yup and he didn't even have to wear leather!

Our leader Evilore, Tyler Malka, going to all the cool shit!

evilore_tyler_malka_dave_chappelle_by_digi_matrix-db31i9t.gif
Is that an animatronic?

I loved the Kevin Hart story from the 1st and the dog + sandwich from 2nd. I saw him in 2014 and he had a rough draft kinda vibe of the Wayne story + the sandwich. It was awesome to hear the revised product.

He looks so different since the last time I saw him on TV. I don't even recognize him.

Also is there confirmation that really is Tyler Malka up there in the front row or just someone that resembles him?

Dave used to be skinny as fuck. He mustve switched up his diet and started an exercise regimen, cause his newfound weight looks healthy, not a "I sat at home, drank beer and ate hamburgers" type of weight gain.

also "you just dont like your cut" is one of the best one-liners Ive heard from Chapelle. Levels to that shit.

BSherrod

Can't even lie, I love Dave but most of the trans and gay jokes I cringed at. I'll chalk it up to comedy and I don't think the guy is transphobic or homophobic, but they felt dated. The other bits around it are pretty strong and I enjoyed both overall.

crustikid

If I had one criticism of both specials, it's how often they flashed to the crowd and the stage set-up with different people. It made it more obvious each special was filmed over multiple dates/times.

Yeah this kind of got to me too.

The Austin one was two years old and you can see his confidence wane at points when the audience starts to heckle. Personally enjoyed the LA one more, but thought they were just OK overall. Good for Chappelle for getting $60M for both of these sets. Ali Wong still has my favorite special of the last few years.

Both were really great. The first was more cerebral and the second one was a bit more silly. I coulnd't contain myself at Wayne stuff.

DJKhaled

The first one was funny, but I'm watching the second one and this is some extremely transphobic stuff :/

It wasn't extremely transphobic, it was a bit, yeah, but it's comedy and he clearly has nothing against trans or gay people, but no matter what way you put it, nothing he said was "extremely transphobic"

Lima

Still can't believe that he gets 60 million dollars for this and Chris rock 40...

Look at all the movie trailers Netflix put out these last few weeks. They literally have no idea where to put the massive amounts of money they make each month. It's like please take it out of our hands.

bounchfx

Just finished the second one earlier today, even better than the first. Can't wait to see his new stuff

The first one was funny, but I'm watching the second one and this is some extremely transphobic stuff :/

Care to elaborate? No offense but if you thought that tame shit was "extremely" transphobic I'm curious how you would describe someone that actually dislikes a trans person. Or hell, someone that hates or attacks them.

It feels like you are either devaluing words (which helps no one), or you are hyper sensitive, which also doesn't help anyone nor improve the situation.. Or you mentally tuned out as soon as he even said the word trans.

Nothus

Does something get cut out of his encore on the first show?
He makes some joke about him and Chris Tucker refusing to have their picture taken with OJ, then there's a weird switch of camera and suddenly the audience is in hysterics.
Definitely felt like something Dave said was cut somehow.

The first special was funny as hell, though I can see that there are bits in there that are definitely going to get people riled up. That one prison joke in particular during that trans riff is definitely going to go down the wrong way. But, I liked the special as a whole, the bits that dragged really dragged but the ones that connected hit hard. The last 20 minutes or so were phenomenal.

Toparaman

Banned

I felt the 2nd special was stronger. The crowd was better. If I had one criticism of both specials, it's how often they flashed to the crowd and the stage set-up with different people. It made it more obvious each special was filmed over multiple dates/times.

Oh shit, there's a Norm special on the way? Definitely going to watch that one.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
First one was great, though the LGBT jokes were just really weak. Like if you're going to do a "non-PC" joke, it's gotta have a better punchline than: gay people are into fashion.
Yeah, I can't say I got a single laugh out the movie pitch or the Asian bit afterwards. It's that I feel offended or think he went too far or anything, they just weren't funny.

Still loving the first special, it just has some rough lows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom