• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dave The Diver nominated for Indie game of the year. Yet its published by Nexon

MMaRsu

Banned

Yet.. the game isnt an indie game at all.

F-1IZAVWkAADIUA

Nexon is literally the biggest one of the biggest south korean publishers, if not the biggest.

How on earth did this even happen?

One of the few indie games I wish I had the extra dosh for. It unfortunately released right in the middle of some games I had been really looking forward to. Game looks great though, and it's one I'll pick up in the future. Glad it's received so well.

Last edited:

Kadve

Like music sadly "Indie" has become a genre nowadays. Nothing more.

Hmm. Could have fooled me. Was it essentially an Indie-dev made game and then gobbled and published at the end? That's how I would interpret the general consensus.

Nope
In May 2022, Nexon announced the launch of Mintrocket, a sub-brand and division of Nexon that specializes on games "focusing on the essence of fun".[34] Its first game, Dave the Diver, was a commercial hit, selling one million copies within ten days of launc

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
It's always like that. Crazy how these media outlets get confused in shit like this, Dave the Diver winning over an actual indie game would be a disgrace.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
Funding doesn't matter. There have been god knows how many indie games published that were partially or completely funded by larger publishers. Doesn't make a studio less indie.
I suppose you’re technically right.

But I personally feel it’s not fair to nominate a game funded by a leading publisher alongside ones that didn’t receive that kind of monetary support. (talking about indy awards specifically)

Last edited:

Mowcno

The developers themselves saying they are not an indie studio. A studio created by a massive publisher.

Geoff what are you doing.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Did the game cost less than $40? If so, I see no problem. I do have a problem with "indie" games that cost $60 dollars, though.

Be cheap for me and I will be lenient with you.

MiguelItUp

Yeah, I haven't touched the game yet, but it always annoyed me when I saw people toting about how it was an indie and the devs deserve everyone's attention and money when the devs are Nexon, lmao.

Poplin

for some reason retro has now been renamed "indie" which is kind of absurd. A lot of exampels like ori and dredge are independent games published by a major publisher. Dave the Diver is developed by a major publisher. its in no way independent. absolutely ridiculous.

Rhazkul

"Indie" = 2D, roguelite elements, "wholesome", retro graphics, artsy fartsy, pseudo-intellectual, weird

It's basically a genre now and doesn't really mean it's developed by indie studios. One example: there's that EA game "Lost in Random" that gives huges indie vibes, but it's published by EA...so...

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Half joking, but its spot as nominee for indie game of the year should be taken by BG3. And thinking about it a little more it's kinda disheartening seeing Chained Echoes, Pizza Tower and Bomb Rush getting snubbed due to gaming media not doing their research properly.

F-1lqmfWkAARlwB
That hot blonde is a man, btw

You're welcome

Top Bottom