• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Cage talks indies, the industry, critics, interactivity, sexism, etc.

An interview with David Cage was published (in French) on November 18 at Le Nouvel Observateur's website, so I've taken the liberty to translate it (please report mistakes if you find any!)

DAVID CAGE: "THE FUTURE OF VIDEO GAMES IS IN THE INDIES' HANDS"

"Today, creativity emerges from the indie side" says the CEO of French studio Quantic Dream.

71,2% of French people play video games, says a study by the National Center of Cinematography and the moving image (CNC), with a revenue of €2.7 billion. In total, in France, 5,000 people work in this sector, which faces exodus of talent to foreign countries, especially Canada.

"Video games are the world's first cultural industry and France must hold its own, said Frédérique Bredin, President of the CNC, during a roundtable on Tuesday, November 18.

In order to deal with the issue, David Cage, founder and head of Montreuil-based studio Quantic Dream, confides having "immense faith in independent creators, particularly the young French school graduates." One year after shipping "Beyond: Two Souls", a video game starring actors Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe, David Cage shares his view on the video game industry, particularly on the French side. Interview.

With a yearly revenue of €2.7 billion and 34 million gamers in France, how do you see today's video game market?

- Video games are going through a rather fascinating period. It's becoming more diverse, more democratic, more and more people play different games on different platforms. The release of the Wii and -today- smartphones and tablets make games more accessible to a much broader audience, while the audience of hardcore gamers on consoles and PC keeps getting larger. The market will keep getting more diverse thanks to systems like Oculus Rift or Morpheus, which allow for complete immersion in a 3D world.

Today you can play games for any price, with extremely abundant free titles, games that cost a few euros, up to more complex, €70 games. The market is still heavily dominated by action games and so-called "casual" games (editor's note: games like "Candy Crush") even though some titles show that games can also be poetic, moving, or have a real intention.

After eighteen years with Quantic Dream, how has the industry evolved, in your eyes?

- Video games have gone from a craft to a more industrial phase. Today, most teams are structured, organized, managed, and the big holiday-season blockbusters need up to 1,000 people, spread across the whole world...

"One may regret the era when making games was primarily about passion, when you locked yourself up for months in order to create a game, eating nothing but pizzas... But it's a necessary evolution. You can become more professional yet retain the passion."

You can also see small, independent teams go back to the roots of games created in a garage, making smartphone or tablet experiences.

Yet, one year ago, you criticized the lack of diversity in games where "we keep shooting on anything that moves".

- A lot of people in or out of the industry regularly complain about how concepts go around in circles and are very much based on violence, but there is a very large audience for those games. Today, creativity mostly emerges from the independent devs. These creators have less financial pressure and can afford to take risks, which is impossible for games with a $100 million budget.

"The future of the industry is in the hands of independent creators. We're going to see a lot of exciting concepts from them."

"Minecraft" is the perfect example of a company that started in a garage before selling for $2.5 billion (editor's note: to Microsoft) But "Minecraft" wouldn't have existed unless someone thought "I'm gonna make this crazy idea come true". Today, creation is in the hands of indies, which is also the case in cinema. On one side you have blockbusters and there's independent films on the other side. Cinema needs both in order to live and I think it's the same with video games.

How do you see the future of video games?

- It's very difficult to anticipate because the industry changes very quickly. The future of video games will be multifaceted. There will always be games for the hardcore gamers who see games as a skill-based sport, or as a way to compete with their friends. Video games as a mere "hobby", like many titles for smartphones or tablets, will keep having success with a broader audience.

On which side do you see yourself?

- We try to develop a middle way, with games that try to tell a story, to carry meaning and where violence isn't the core activity. Most of all, we try to create an emotion, to make players live something strong and unique, which remains an ambitious challenge in a video game.

Your latest title, "Beyond: Two Souls", has sometimes drawn fierce criticism.

- "Beyond" was a very polarizing game, particularly for hardcore gamers, who felt troubled in their habits by the very unusual experience that the game offered. However, a lot of players have greatly supported the game. Personally, I was very glad to see how a lot of players felt personally moved by "Beyond".

"The game has been out for a year and I still receive letters from players who tell me how much the game touched them."

I try to create different and atypical experiences, even if it means questioning the traditional rules of video games. I create ouf of passion, with a desire to explore new ways, which is impossible if you only seek consensus.

You're attached to interactive narration. Don't you feel that narration in games is becoming more and more influenced by TV series, with a level/episode structure?

- It's true that there are a lot of similarities between games and series. We tell stories that are 8-10 hours long, which takes us closer, in terms of format, to series rather than films. However, there may be similarities but there are also differences. Video games are still in their infancy, in regards to how you tell an interactive story.

"By the way, a lot of video games are based on similar themes, whereas series tackle much deeper subjects, echoing society itself."

I hope video games can follow the same path in the future and dares dealing with different themes. Interactivity is an extraordinary media to carry meaning, because the player is also an actor, not a mere spectator, which allows for a very particular kind of emotional involvement.

Among those new themes, could video games break free from the clichés they remain associated with, such as the latest controversy about sexism?

- In every community there is a small minority of extremists. They often tend to make a lot of noise even though they represent a small minority. Some people uttered unacceptable things about women but they're not representative of the gaming community. By the way, one should note that the community itself reacted strongly against those words.

Video games are becoming more feminine, more responsible, and evolve. We also start seeing more interesting female characters in video games, even though there's still much left to do in this matter.

The president of the French National Union for Video Games (SNJV), Nicolas Gaume, said the French video game sector was facing a crisis, as the number of employes got divided by two in 10 years, while revenue got up by 280%. Should we be worried for video games "made in France"?

- Yes, we should be worried. Countries such as Canada have been making significant financial effort to attract high-tech companies for over 10 years. As a result, a lot of companies have moved abroad and look for French talent.

"Today, companies like Ubisoft are primarily based in Canada, and a lot of small-scale French developers struggle to invest and offer new products."

France offers excellent training, artistically as well as technically, but it suffers from a certain amount of administrative and fiscal red tape. Doing business isn't the easiest thing to do when you live in France... Obviously, this general situation applies to video games as well.

Fortunately a certain number of things have been done to develop the video game industry in France (Editor's note: For instance Jack Lang's "plan Image" in 1982). It's enabled the French video game industry to remain to this day, and enabled French companies like Quantic Dream to compete with multinational companies.

But there's still a lot left to do to allow French companies to compete on an equal footing with its competitors, particularly from America and Canada. It's even more of a pity considering video games are an extraordinary source of jobs for the youth and offers interesting careers in an expanding sector. France must keep making efforts to maintain and develop the sector in the coming years.

A video game creator told me it was easier for him to hire someone from Indonesia than getting an intern. Should public authorities play a more important role to support French creation?

- The problem is much more complex than simply hiring an Asian worker who's one third as cheap as a French one. People don't do the same work, they don't have the same skill, they don't have the same expertise. Quantic Dream also has a lot of production work done in Asia, where part of our games' graphics get made, but we also have 200 people in Paris because that's where we can find a skilled and talented workforce.

Quantic Dream has been hiring for 18 years. In France, there are people who have been perfectly trained at schools such as Les Gobelins, Supinfogame, Supinfocom, ENJMIN and many others. Like all companies, we embrace globalization but we want to keep believing it's possible to do business in France while recruiting and training more young people.

"Public authorities have an essential role to play, not by issuing handouts or advantages but by allowing French companies to fight on an equal footing with foreign companies on a global market."

What is Quantic Dream's next game?

- We're working on something very exciting but I can't say more about it. We try to create different things, which get off the beaten track, always with the same passion.

Zia

"Beyond" was a very polarizing game, particularly for hardcore gamers, who felt troubled in their habits by the very unusual experience that the game offered. However, a lot of players have greatly supported the game. Personally, I was very glad to see how a lot of players felt personally moved by "Beyond".

Yes, David, it was just too far outside the comfort zone of "hardcore gamers."

Give me a break.

We're working on something very exciting but I can't say more about it. We try to create different things.

This is just a straight-up lie.

Also I think it's a tragedy that David Cage is more well-known in mainstream media than someone who's actually really talented, like Michel Ancel.

2mad2behere

Neo Member
Really waiting for his new game, I'm going to enjoy the shit out of the awful writing.

Also, it is weird they didn't push him on the sexism issue as his game have some of the worst motivated love stories I have ever seen and Beyond has some pretty bad rape fantasies of Ellen Page.

dakun

Give me a break.

go into any David Cage thread and see half the people denying that David Cage even creates games. Many of these "hardcore gamers" have a really narrow view of what a game is. David Cage never fits that view of theirs.

2mad2behere

Neo Member
Judging from the number of people who said Beyond wasn't even a game, seems like he was sort of right?

Well it is about as much of a game as a visual novel is. You literally are there for the ride with no control over any situation. So in the traditional sens of a game it is not a "game". It is a virtual story that you act out but don't actually have any effect on. Heavy Rain was a video game because you could manipulate the response of the game where as in Beyond you only have a forward button essentially.

dakun

Well it is about as much of a game as a visual novel is. You literally are there for the ride with no control over any situation. So in the traditional sens of a game it is not a "game". It is a virtual story that you act out but don't actually have any effect on. Heavy Rain was a video game because you could manipulate the response of the game where as in Beyond you only have a forward button essentially.

now that's a straight up lie. Sure it's more linear than Heavy Rain. But still has multiple ways the story can go. Not much different to Heavy Rain at all
Also in the gameplay department (YES this game has gameplay and don't even deny it) is has alot more meaningful interaction with the whole controlling Aiden parts where you can chose what you want to do with the environment and the enemies for example.

Rembrandt

Banned

Give me a break.

Tons of people didn't consider Heavy Rain, Beyond or TWD actual games. He's not wrong at all.

I cannot wait for what he does next. I hope Beyond gets a remake before I buy my PS4. He sold me on a PS3 last gen and will sell me on a PS4 probably.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
- "Beyond" was a very polarizing game, particularly for hardcore gamers, who felt troubled in their habits by the very unusual experience that the game offered. However, a lot of players have greatly supported the game. Personally, I was very glad to see how a lot of players felt personally moved by "Beyond".

That's...not the complaints that I heard about Beyond...

2mad2behere

Neo Member
now that's a straight up lie.

How is it a lie? In Heavy Rain you can take different paths and make decision that affect how the story progresses and it has multiple endings. Beyond isn't that different from Fahrenheit because you just have a bunch of control combinations that always lead to the same conclusion. If you fuck up you might take a little detour or you might get there in some parts faster but the story is always the same and only goes forward after you put in the right combination of controls. Sure it isn't a single button but you have no control over any of it and the "game" wont progress until you press play. If I remember correctly he didn't even want to call Fahrenheit a game.

Dio

Banned
That's...not the complaints that I heard about Beyond...

Yeah, most of the complaints I'm aware of about Beyond are the ridiculous and easy to mock plot twists, scenes straight up lifted out of a zillion different movies and sewed together without any regard for pacing or theme, the extremely creepy and unnecessary scenes like "press X to give a hobo a blowjob" or the obligatory shower scene EVERY STARRING FEMALE IN A DAVID CAGE GAME HAS, or the extreme railroading into certain choices even when trying as hard as possible to avoid it.

Percy

Banned

Give me a break.

I'm no fan of David Cage, but that seemed a fair enough statement on his part.

Yeah, most of the complaints I'm aware of about Beyond are the ridiculous and easy to mock plot twists, scenes straight up lifted out of a zillion different movies and sewed together without any regard for pacing or theme, the extremely creepy and unnecessary scenes like "press X to give a hobo a blowjob" or the obligatory shower scene EVERY STARRING FEMALE IN A DAVID CAGE GAME HAS, or the extreme railroading into certain choices even when trying as hard as possible to avoid it.

I don't recall any shower scenes in Fahrenheit or Omikron... and didn't I hear the "hoblow" scene only occurred if you agreed to do it in the game first? :)

dakun

How is it a lie? In Heavy Rain you can take different paths and make decision that affect how the story progresses and it has multiple endings. Beyond isn't that different from Fahrenheit because you just have a bunch of control combinations that always lead to the same conclusion. If you fuck up you might take a little detour or you might get there in some parts faster but the story is always the same and only goes forward after you put in the right combination of controls. Sure it isn't a single button but you have no control over any of it and the "game" wont progress until you press play. If I remember correctly he didn't even want to call Fahrenheit a game.

how is "the game won't progress until you press play" even an argument for it not being a game?? Last i saw, yes, games need interaction to progress... Heavy Rain, Fahrenheit, Beyond, TWD, Dreamfall, Wolf Among us, ALL need some meaningfull input by the player to progress. Challenge is not a thing these games care about and THANK GOD that's not a requirement for a game.

If you deny any of these games their titles as "games", you might as well deny it to just about any first person shooter where you just progress by repeating the same pattern of shoot and walk forward to progress, and if you die just repeat.

2mad2behere

Neo Member

This is exactly it, the dudes "writing" is about as subtle and has the finess of a hammer as a lockpick.

I would take David Cage's opinion on the industry much more seriously, if his games weren't the very thing plaguing the industry.

Lack of control, poor writing, bad storytelling, and myriad of sexism and idiocy.

Wasn't a big fan of Beyond, but I respected Sony for releasing something so different compared to the norm, even if was silly (Ellen Page & Willem Defoe were brilliant, mind).

But loved Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit and I honestly think Beyond was a blip. Cant wait to see what comes next from Quantic Dream, especially if what comes next is a game based on the Kara demo.

2mad2behere

Neo Member
how is "the game won't progress until you press play" even an argument for it not being a game?? Last i saw, yes, games need interaction to progress... Heavy Rain, Fahrenheit, Beyond, TWD, Dreamfall, Wolf Among us, ALL need some meaningfull input by the player to progress. Challenge is not a thing these games care about and THANK GOD that's not a requirement for a game.

If you deny any of these games their titles as "games", you might as well deny it to just about any first person shooter where you just progress by repeating the same pattern of shoot and walk forward to progress, and if you die just repeat.

That's why Telltale games are sometimes said to be graphical dramas, or interactive adventures. They are video games, but more on the side of interactive dramas than traditional games. Usually in video games you are in the charge of the character and while it is true that in an linear FPS you can rinse and repeat, but difference is that in that you can be stonewalled and it is totally up to you if you can overcome something. Most linear FPS's are linear, sure, but you are in control and it is up to you if you can progress.

What I'm saying is that they weren't really too out there, more that it wasn't what people expect or want from a game.

2mad2behere

Neo Member
The leading female in Indigo Prophecy aka Fahrenheit, the detective girl, has a pretty blatant shower scene. It's right before she meets that gay guy with the tarot cards, IIRC.

Yeah, and she fucks the main guy pretty much just because, as does the journalist in Heavy Rain. Almost all love interests (if you can call them that, they just seem to fuck the main guys so that it can placed in the game. For the feelzsh!) in Cage games make no sense besides that they are one of the main characters. And the love CIA guy gets pretty much rammed into your face trough Beyond even though he really doesn't do shit to redeem himself.

Really waiting for his new game, I'm going to enjoy the shit out of the awful writing.

Also, it is weird they didn't push him on the sexism issue as his game have some of the worst motivated love stories I have ever seen and Beyond has some pretty bad rape fantasies of Ellen Page.

Literally the only enjoyment I got from Beyond was cock-blocking that Ryan Phillipe looking douchebag agent constantly. It amused me more than it should.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I would take David Cage's opinion on the industry much more seriously, if his games weren't the very thing plaguing the industry.

Lack of control, poor writing, bad storytelling, and myriad of sexism and idiocy.

Kinda yeah. Like, I appreciate what he does in theory, but he's just a maelstrom of things I don't like in practice

Conan-san

Tell you what, Cage. You figure how to do "Gameplay" and "Writing" (and not "Insane warblings set to QTEs", which constitutes your work) and we'll get back to you.

Rembrandt

Banned
Yeah, and she fucks the main guy pretty much just because, as does the journalist in Heavy Rain. Almost all love interests (if you can call them that, they just seem to fuck the main guys so that it can placed in the game. For the feelzsh!) in Cage games make no sense besides that they are one of the main characters. And the love CIA guy gets pretty much rammed into your face trough Beyond even though he really doesn't do shit to redeem himself.

I think the sex scene in heavy rain was optional.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
the obligatory shower scene EVERY STARRING FEMALE IN A DAVID CAGE GAME HAS.
As far as I can remember, most playable characters in his games get a shower scene, be it a guy or a girl. How come people forget you had to take a shower as Ethan early in the Heavy Rain, or that you could take a shower as Lucas in Indigo Prophecy? I don't like this selective clue finding as some kind of proof of his sexism.

Massa

Not even a page and topic already derailed by people who surely didn't even read a paragraph of the interview.

Jebusman

Banned
Not even a page and topic already derailed by people who surely didn't even read a paragraph of the interview.

Not even a page and people already making broad assumptions about other posters in an attempt to discredit any opinion they might have.

All of his games are "Great in concept, poor in execution" situations. Reading out a list of what his games are attempting to accomplish sound great. Seeing how they actually turn out is a whole different story.

Edit: If there's one thing the man is right about at least, it's this:

On one side you have blockbusters and there's independent films on the other side. Cinema needs both in order to live and I think it's the same with video games.

AAA and Indie games can live side by side perfectly fine, and people who bemoan one or the other or claim "Indie will be the death of AAA" don't realize what that would do to the industry.

Zarx

"Video games are the world's first cultural industry"
What does that even mean? How is Video Games more of a cultural industry than any other creative driven industry like film, literature etc?

I love David Cage games, even though, they're not really what people call games. They're still fun to play. I loved Heavy Rain and Beyond. I can't wait to see his next project.

He's right about the investment that Canada did in the past 10 years. Particularly Montreal where a lot of companies are doing business here.

Nice interview !

The Lamp

We also got a shower scene with Ethan. Saw his butt and penis and everything else lol.

jimi_dini

If you fuck up you might take a little detour or you might get there in some parts faster but the story is always the same and only goes forward after you put in the right combination of controls. Sure it isn't a single button but you have no control over any of it and the "game" wont progress until you press play. If I remember correctly he didn't even want to call Fahrenheit a game.

That's every game with at least a bit of story ever (unless an open world game without any goals or story at all).

Call Of Duty - if you fuck up, you might take a little detour (respawn). The story of single player is always the same and only goes forward after you shoot a few people in the head (or effectively point and click to shoot them). You have no actual control over any of it and the "game" won't progress until you do what the game wants you to do.

Mario Bros - if you fuck up, you might take a little detour (restart a level). The story is always the same and only goes forward after you go further to the right to reach the castle flag. You have no actual control over any of it and the "game" won't progress until you do what the game wants you to do.

skelekey

"Video games are the world's first cultural industry"
What does that even mean? How is Video Games more of a cultural industry than any other creative driven industry like film, literature etc?

It means what it says. There is no cultural industry bigger than video games.

Occam

This reminds me, wasn't Beyond supposed to get a PS4 port?

I for one look forward to whatever Quantic Dream creates next.

Top Bottom