• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Cage talks indies, the industry, critics, interactivity, sexism, etc.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Yeah, and she fucks the main guy pretty much just because, as does the journalist in Heavy Rain. Almost all love interests (if you can call them that, they just seem to fuck the main guys so that it can placed in the game. For the feelzsh!) in Cage games make no sense besides that they are one of the main characters. And the love CIA guy gets pretty much rammed into your face trough Beyond even though he really doesn't do shit to redeem himself.
Watching best friends play of beyond reveals that I think atleast 4 times the game reeeallly tries to get you with CIA guy.

Despera

Banned
We need that Kara tech demo to turn into a game. Just handle the subject matter with a more nuanced approach and you've got an interesting new concept to work with.

I'm sure Cage learned from his previous missteps and has now grown as a writer.

Haven't played Beyond 2 Souls yet though. I wasn't that intrigued by the premise so I just didn't feel like giving it a shot. Maybe I'm missing out? In any case I definitely look forward to QD's next project.

Sayad

I don't mind Cage's games as a concept, they all sound pretty cool on paper, haven't touched one since Indigo Prophecy though. I'll be there day one once they use decent writers.

Hire a damn writer.

Dragonbane could explain better than I could but David Cage has already hired writers for QD's new game.

I would take David Cage's opinion on the industry much more seriously, if his games weren't the very thing plaguing the industry.

Lack of control, poor writing, bad storytelling, and myriad of sexism and idiocy.

QD games seem very particular, imo. Not many studios make that kind of games (Telltale does but they don't hire Hollywood stars and aim for photorealism) yet they're the plague of the industry?

"Video games are the world's first cultural industry"
What does that even mean? How is Video Games more of a cultural industry than any other creative driven industry like film, literature etc?

He spoke in terms of revenue. Sorry if I didn't make it clear enough in my translation.

This reminds me, wasn't Beyond supposed to get a PS4 port?

I for one look forward to whatever Quantic Dream creates next.

Always rumored, never confirmed.

Amir0x

Banned
David Cage talking about some of these subjects is a bit like eating candy when you have a bad cavity, you want it to taste good but damn it hurts. But this is what rubbed me the wrong way in this interview, does it have a layered meaning in French?

"Beyond" was a very polarizing game, particularly for hardcore gamers, who felt troubled in their habits by the very unusual experience that the game offered.

Because the reason hardcore gamers had issues with Beyond was not because HGers were "troubled" in their habits by the "unusual experience." It was because legions thought the writing was atrocious and the game was a awkwardly paced mess with a nonsensical approach to unfurling its narrative (not in service to the writing or story it had to tell).

Others disagree of course, but I'm not sure what the "unusual experience" had to do with the evaluation of critics who disliked it.

On the up side, I am glad that he recognized the community reacted fiercely against the harassment/GG people. It's hard to tell where he stands on the actual GG, but I suppose no sane dev/pub would want to wade into that mess when it's starting to finally implode on itself.

Top Bottom