• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Harbour Explains Why Hellboy Is A Hero For Today's America

Stranger Things and Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen star sat down with The Hollywood Reporter after his first ever visit to the San Diego Comic-Con.

He told THR that he, "did read some comics, but I was not a huge comics guy, I got into graphic novels later on in my life so in my 20's my friends introduced me to some darker graphic novels, things like Watchmen and Hellboy, the comics weren't really my thing, I was more into cartoons and Dungeons and Dragons and things like He-Man and Thundercats.

His favorite graphic novel is appropriately Hellboy - who he thinks is something more than a timeless character. "I really do think those Mike Mignola Hellboy comics are so beautiful and he's such a hero for America that we live in today. I mean I definitely think that Hellboy is an anti-hero he was born into it, it wasn't something like Batman. Where he chooses to go and fight crime." He didn't elaborate - but one can guess what he means by a hero for the time.
More in the link.
http://comicbook.com/comics/2017/07/24/david-harbour-explains-why-hellboy-is-a-hero-for-todays-america/

Fury451

Banned
Can't say I really agree or disagree, this statement doesn't really seem to mean much.

I absolutely adore the Hellboy comic universe, but he's not really more relevant today because of current politics. He's just a fairly timeless kind of hero; an outsider who defends his adopted land against all manners of darkness whether they accept him or not.

Acorn

Wait there is a new hellboy?

Edit no del Toro sucks but getting Neil Marshall in could be interesting for a less comedic tone.

Wait there is a new hellboy?
Code:
[img]http://cdn1-www.superherohype.com/assets/uploads/gallery/hellboy-rise-of-the-blood-queen/4.jpg[/img]

Del Toro is not involved and neither is Perlman (obviously). Directed by Neil Marshall who also directed The Descent and Dog Soldiers. Rated R.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Can't say I really agree or disagree, this statement doesn't really seem to mean much.

I absolutely adore the Hellboy comic universe, but he's not really more relevant today because of current politics. He's just a fairly timeless kind of hero; an outsider who defends his adopted land against all manners of darkness whether they accept him or not.

Hellboy punches Nazis. That's relevant if you ask me.

tumblr_inline_oknacm7Cb41r76766_500.jpg

D-Man is the only hero appropriate for today's America.

Sorry.
On topic, I'm sad that we'll never see Del Toro's Hellboy 3 but I'm looking forward to this new version nevertheless.

Maybe he'll release it as a comic instead.

Honestly, it seems like he never really wanted to actually tell that story. Even his last attempt felt more like a way to get fans to shut up rather than a genuine pitch to the studio. Pure speculation on my part of course.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
Code:
[img]http://cdn1-www.superherohype.com/assets/uploads/gallery/hellboy-rise-of-the-blood-queen/4.jpg[/img]

Del Toro is not involved and neither is Perlman (obviously). Directed by Neil Marshall who also directed The Descent and Dog Soldiers. Rated R.

There is hope for this.

Top Bottom