• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe questions if Sony missteps are down to management (Max_Po tries to create drama, misuses English, new thread privileges at risk!!)

What's funny to me is all you guys who admit you never buy games at full price and frequently only on deep sales, which is exactly the reason Sony is in serious trouble.

splattered

I HAVE become Old(er), for sure. Beats the alternative, sir.

That said, cynical? Not at all. In fact, as I've done less development work these last few years I've fallen BACK in love with the games medium. Amazing how that works.

I'm very excited for this new gen, across the board. And I've been gaming like a fiend these days.

Having an opinion that runs contrary to yours doesn't make one cynical. It just makes one...different.

JAFFE

Much respect to you for keeping your cool in these forums at the moment, they have been very toxic for a while now.

Are you currently working on any games? Any chance you'd consider making something for the Microsoft camp?

I've been gaming since '87 and have owned almost every system along the way, your games were some of my absolute favorites through the years and it would be crazy awesome to see you launch something on Xbox.

Lone Wolf

That said, cynical? Not at all. In fact, as I've done less development work these last few years I've fallen BACK in love with the games medium. Amazing how that works.

I'm very excited for this new gen, across the board. And I've been gaming like a fiend these days.

Having an opinion that runs contrary to yours doesn't make one cynical. It just makes one...different.

JAFFE
Do you own the rights to Calling All Cars? I loved that game and would like to see it again. Had tons of fun with it.

sainraja

Sony is going to sell on pure international sales and the momentum from the last generation. It will be a much closer race this time between Sony and Xbox for installed base but when you branch out from first party and hardware Xbox will slaughter in areas Sony isn't in e.g. Gampass, xCloud....

PlayStation Now exists. It has existed before xCloud. We shouldn't be deliberately dismissive.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Do you own the rights to Calling All Cars? I loved that game and would like to see it again. Had tons of fun with it.

Ah, thanks on behalf of all of us who worked on it! I loved it too!

Alas, no. All the stuff I worked on was paid for by Sony so they- rightly so- own it.

Would love to take another crack at it tho, build in a proper team mode and the ability to pass the criminal back and forth to your team mate. And 1-2 more defensive abilities. Then it would be (I hope!) party game perfect! :)

-Arcadia-

Banned
Apologies to Jaffe if you said none of the stuff in the OP about N64 numbers, which is my understanding. All I did was basically call you silly, but still, I perpetuated it.

I didn't realize some people on gaming side had gotten so bad, to where you can't even trust an OP to not make up things out of thin air. Should be an auto-ban, imo. There is zero reason to ever make up a bunch of stuff, and pretend someone said it.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
At the end of the day, it all comes down to being a business, right? I remember being a tad bit upset when Microsoft bought Gears of War and Epic just collected all the money from it all. They basically went on to work on Fortnite. God of War has sure had its fare share of developers under the same roof. It has *almost* done a complete circle. So when I think about Jack Tretton, Andrew House, Adam Boyes, and Shawn Layden (that's a lot) leaving Sony I think that it was just a business thing. Phil Harrison went from being Team Sony to Team Microsoft. The only last standing member of Sony is Shuhei Yoshida and Mark Cerny. Jim Ryan has been with the company, but to my understanding his position has been mainly based out of the UK. Maybe there's something we can't see because its part of the industry.

I think if Jaffe tells us something, it comes with a foot in the door. That door being at PlayStation's. I think he would have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly when it comes to the business of making video games. Don't shit on his work, he's made some of the most notable PlayStation exclusives in the history of PlayStation. He showed North American talent while Japanese developers were kicking ass with Japanese made games.

JCK75

I don’t care about your point. You made some incorrect claims and comparisons and I’m correcting you. Once again

XBL-XBL gold

PS plus- PSN

PSN has over 113M monthly active users across PS4 and PS3. PS plus has 45M subscribers.

MS not separating XBL and gold doesn’t mean anything other than they’re hiding numbers and boasting them up like they always do.

The facts are

XBL has 90M monthly active users across all XBL accounts you sign into on whatever devices. That includes phones, laptops, tablets, games on other platforms like Minecraft on PS4.

Yes PS4 because of the XBL account required is contributing to the 90M monthly active users on XBL. Funny isn’t it.

There are no facts because you nor I know the numbers, it's all we have to go on and it changes nothing about the discussion if we did.

Godamn M Max_Po you got BTFO so hard if I were you I'd never show my face around here again!
tenor.gif

Enjay

Banned

Alas, no. All the stuff I worked on was paid for by Sony so they- rightly so- own it.

Would love to take another crack at it tho, build in a proper team mode and the ability to pass the criminal back and forth to your team mate. And 1-2 more defensive abilities. Then it would be (I hope!) party game perfect! :)
After Twisted Metal PS3 and Drawn Together I wouldn't attempt any online multiplayer centric games.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Davis Jaffe claims he's about to be 50.

#1- I hate Davis Jaffe.

#2- I am 49, 50 in April.

#3- I am not console warring. Unfortunately some of you here seem to have been educated with a banana and an inner tube and can't distinguish between 'RARRRR! MY CONSOLE IS THA BESTEST!!!!' and 'Hey, I've worked in games for 20+ years and I enjoy talking about the business and I think it's worth discussing how amazing Microsoft did this week at a business level, especially given how beaten down they were last gen'.

VALCON 82

JAFFE
I scanned the thread just to find your responses whenever someone pulls you in... and they are always GOLD

NullZ3r0

Banned
Dipped their toe into steaming? LOL!!! They've been doing it for 4 years. All the need to do (and this is a lot of work) is make it work on smartphones again.
They've been doing it for four years and Google comes and beats them with better tech with Stadia.

hemo memo

Gold Member
PS5 messaging seems all over the place with Lying Jim Ryan. PS4 dream team all but gone now.

No wonder they left. They saw this mess coming. I guess the mass market will decide not only early adopters who will eat anything. Xbox advertised as a subscription box with Gamepass and 100+ games or a box with cross-gen games sold at $70 because Sony decided to be greedy.

oldergamer

#1- I hate Davis Jaffe.

#2- I am 49, 50 in April.

#3- I am not console warring. Unfortunately some of you here seem to have been educated with a banana and an inner tube and can't distinguish between 'RARRRR! MY CONSOLE IS THA BESTEST!!!!' and 'Hey, I've worked in games for 20+ years and I enjoy talking about the business and I think it's worth discussing how amazing Microsoft did this week at a business level, especially given how beaten down they were last gen'.
This! As soon as i saw the thread title I was going to post " is this another character assassination thread due to not liking what someone said? "

I'm glad you were able to respond and point out all the wrong.

Sales prediction is incorrect but he's bang on about their messaging right now.

Miles away from the calm clarity they had around the time of the PS4 launch.

Jim Ryan has a lot to answer for.

Neither one had had great messaging because they can't do the typical marketing events that generally lead up to a console launch, covid f'd a lot of things up. MS has done nothing but talk, we've still not seen a single next gen game running on the console, Sony has shown PS5 games actually running on the hardware with RT etc they give results while MS just gives us words. Hell Halo and DMC for xbox series x weren't even going to have RT working at launch, Halo was delayed but DMC still won't have it up on day one it's going to be patched in later.

Bridges

You got it, pal! I'll be sure to reach out to you when making my next game design decision because you've done so much amazing stuff. You know, like posting on a forum.
I have not had the chance to actually play any of your games, but Is think it is awesome that you are continuing to engage here despite having your opinions mischaracterized and some members making some personal attacks.
You seem like you care about the industry and want to have an honest conversation about it, and that's more than I can say about half the people I've seen here.

Neither one had had great messaging because they can't do the typical marketing events that generally lead up to a console launch, covid f'd a lot of things up. MS has done nothing but talk, we've still not seen a single next gen game running on the console, Sony has shown PS5 games actually running on the hardware with RT etc they give results while MS just gives us words. Hell Halo and DMC for xbox series x weren't even going to have RT working at launch, Halo was delayed but DMC still won't have it up on day one it's going to be patched in later.

Do you really think MS is going to release two consoles that don't run next gen games? That's not a position I would want to admit to.

Maogp

The video is clear and mostly agreeable.

But let me be clear about one thing. There are people that states shit like "he doesn't make a game since Gow1, he knows shit, who is this guy now days".

People, be adult. At least he worked in the industry, he is David Jaffe not "Dragonball93" in a forum. If you work or have worked in the industry and you know shit beyond the curtains, well, be my guest and discuss your point, but if you don't know shit be adult and state your point being aware that probably you know less that this man.

My 2 cents.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man...I was wondering who in the blue hell Max_Po was and then I realized it was the Topic Creator. LMAO.

Azurro

Banned
If Game Pass eats Sony's lunch, multiplats perform better on XSX, and everyone is waiting for price drops to buy Sony first party...it won't stay that way.

1. Gamepass is making MS lose a hell of a lot of money at the moment.
2. The performance delta is too modest to have anything that is immediately noticeable on screen.
3. People have waited for price drops forever. In fact, the argument could be turned around: "what if no one on Xbox buys MS titles anymore and just waits for them to be on Gamepass??".

sainraja

Yes! Please! Figure out a way to do so! It was soo much fun!

1. Gamepass is making MS lose a hell of a lot of money at the moment.
2. The performance delta is too modest to have anything that is immediately noticeable on screen.
3. People have waited for price drops forever. In fact, the argument could be turned around: "what if no one on Xbox buys MS titles anymore and just waits for them to be on Gamepass??".

1) Not really. At the moment it isn't as profitable as it could be, but we are in very early stages.
2) We don't know that at all.
3) As long as people are on Gamepass, that's exactly what the goal is.

Top Bottom