• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe sets Twitter on fire after calling Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom “bland and old looking”

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
"Bland"

6ea5747f376536bad79bfe316d6811d1.gif

oh-sure-john-candy.gif

Rykan

Zelda looks about as good as you can reasonably expect considering the platform that is on and how insanely ambitious it is mechanically. In many ways, it is far more ambitious than a lot of other open world games on more powerful hardware. Yes, you can nitpick certain locations that might not look as nice on closer inspection, but that just comes with the territory of it being a game set in an open world and that's hard to avoid. Especially on Switch hardware.

I don't think there's any need for reviews to "ding" it when most of the game looks as good as you can reasonably expect given the circumstances, nor do I think there's a problem with double standard here. You could say that Zelda "justifies" its shortcomings in a way that some other games do not.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
nobody believes this I'm sorry my friends

The entires industries is praising this game for its visuals its the exact opposites

42bfb0d4d43c5a14d0d9be3834d10a1221bb600c.gifv

This looks great, but to be fair, if you'd told me this was a modded version of the game or some kind of target pre release footage, I'd believe you, because when I played the game it did not look anything like as good as that at any point.

I've only played about an hour though.

CGNoire

Why do people always keep bringing up GOTY awards as if they matter?

To anyone who can think for themselves the GOTY is whatever the fuck the person says it is and there answer is always correct.

Its the cringiest thing to mention only seconded by people who bring up sales figures for there favorite billion dollar company.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
This looks great, but to be fair, if you'd told me this was a modded version of the game or some kind of target pre release footage, I'd believe you, because when I played the game it did not look anything like as good as that at any point.

It looks ways better than this in reals life especially on Switch OLED

Switch hardware is crudola but Nintendo's gots some alien technologies to be ables to push all these crazy physics and gameplays scenarios on it they are lapping other devs

If Switch had PS5 powers the Zelda devs would prolly creates the holodeck

398cb02a20935c112879a60890f4ad7bb3be1fe87274d0adf75819977740768e.gif

MMaRsu

Banned
They are literally all open world games and 2 of them are pretty open ended, especially mgs5.

Insane post. Guy is living in an alternate reality.

Lmao, just because it's open world does not make it non linear. Those games all have a set story to follow with progression tied to that linear story. You guys know the difference right?

Especially LA Noire, Far Cry and Arkham City. Just because you can free roam, does not make it a non linear game like ToTK. Nevermind the fact that you barely have any agency in those games either.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Lmao, just because it's open world does not make it non linear. Those games all have a set story to follow with progression tied to that linear story. You guys know the difference right?
Same as zelda tokt, you can't just go to ganon this time, you have forced story parts to do.

And let's be honest, going directly to ganon is a good way to ruin the game because you are literally skipping 99% of content, it was just a feature so nintendo fanboys could tell you how much better botw was for doing that shit compared to other open world games, it was like xbox backcompatibility, everyone praise it, nobody actually use it:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

The reality is that only speedrunners buy an open world game to go directly to the final boss, let's be real here, nobody want to spend money to play 5 hours of a 100-200 hours game.

Sure the structure is not as rigid as most open world game where you have to take missions in a certain order (not in everyone tho), but most of these games also have more complicated plots, zelda plot is still super simple and generic at the end of the day.
Nintendo understood that to tell a decent story they needed some structure and pacing, and this is why people are liking the narrative in tokt way more than botw, hell they even did a "sony beginning" with slow walk and cutscenes to make me give a fuck this time about the story.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned

The colours are slightly more saturated, but that's all. The game does look like that.

Spaceman292

Banned
It's called nostalgia and massive love for Nintendo franchises.

Most of the reviewers were playing N64 marios and OOT, hell, likely even super nintendo. Nobody has built nostalgia like Nintendo has given they have had the same franchises since the early 90's maybe even 80's?

The game is great, but it IS ugly, they could have changed the art style to match its hardware's capabilities and be more appealing and clean. It looks muddy, and the colours looks washed out.

This by no means the game is bad, we know its great (regardless of me, personally, not liking BOTW), problems are just ignored by reviewers.
If people were that influenced by nostalgia then they would have said the last few Pokémon games looked good.

Shut0wen

I mean the same could of been said about gow2 coming out on ps2 when ps3 was already released, im guessing jaffe would of appreciated the game more if it was 480p

GymWolf

How can the mechanics be 10/10 if you need the 6/10 controls to control the mechanics?
Because for example ultrahand is a 10\10 genius concept but the inferface can be cumbersome and the control scheme a bit idiotic sometimes.

Personally i would not score the controls a 6 but surely not a 10, let's just stop at that.

Last edited:

tmlDan

If people were that influenced by nostalgia then they would have said the last few Pokémon games looked good.
I was more referring to docking points for it, and yes they did but Pokemon nostalgia is different than Zelda.

Pokemon nostalgia comes from Ash and the original 150, we're far past that and the degradation of pokemon as a whole over time.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Because for example ultrahand is a 10\10 genius concept but the inferface can be cumbersome and the control scheme a bit idiotic sometimes.

Personally i would not score the controls a 6 but surely not a 10, let's just stop at that.
But if the controls harm the mechanics, the mechanics can't be 10/10. Controls and mechanics are tied up.

GymWolf

But if the controls harm the mechanics, the mechanics can't be 10/10. Controls and mechanics are tied up.
The controls are not nearly bad enough to ruin the experience, that would be 3\10 controls, not 6-7\10 controls.

Dude i fucking hate building stuff in games, if they were so bad i would be turned off more than the average player.

Not having a fucking roll outside of lock on or having a shitty lock on are way bigger flaws control wise than ultrahand being a bit finnicky.

Last edited:

tkscz

*Checks to see if the Switch still runs on hardware from 2014*
Yep, it still runs on hardware from 9 years ago, no shit the graphics aren't going to be up to snuff anymore. Pokemon got ripped because it was glitchy, has WORSE graphics than TotK and it showed how gamefreak messed up developing it (still using a badly translated 3DS engine, for some reason all the water is loaded in all at once and sits under the world in a big water globe). No one is out here really praising Zelda's graphics outside maybe art style. Most people are enjoying it's physics and how exploration and traversing the map is. Not saying the Switch hasn't produce some gorgeous games, Luigi's Mansion 3 is still beautiful, but I don't see people out here saying TotK looks good graphically for a game released in 2023.

Bollocks.

The very two comments above yours are saying the game looks bad. So that's not you getting 'destroyed'.

Now, I think you are all wrong and need to go to SpecSavers, but there are plenty of dissenting voices.
My comment was about David Jaffe, not anyone commenting here.

Neff

when xbox one or PS4 versions of games were coming out against Xbox one X versions, more often than not reviews would comment on how rough the xbox one version looked vs the xbox one X version, or PS4 pro version

Sure, if we're talking about the same game being released on different platforms. But Jaffe questions the assessment of visuals of a game exclusive to and custom-made for the Switch, because there are games out there pushing more polygons with fancier lighting on other, more powerful platforms. It's like saying Game Gear games should get lower scores for visuals because they can't do Mode 7. It's ridiculous.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Sure, if we're talking about the same game being released on different platforms. But Jaffe questions the assessment of visuals of a game exclusive to and custom-made for the Switch, because there are games out there pushing more polygons with fancier lighting on other, more powerful platforms. It's like saying Game Gear games should get lower scores for visuals because they can't do Mode 7. It's ridiculous.

I get what you are saying but when a company is still running on hardware that is this old, one would think that how the game looks vs other games on the market today would still be mentioned. Remember, Nintendo positions the switch as both a console and a portable, how do you think this game stacks up vs other console games today graphically?

Don't get me wrong, I think what the wizards have done with what they have is amazing, but they are limited by the hand they dealt themselves.

Last edited:

fallingdove

It looks ways better than this in reals life especially on Switch OLED

Switch hardware is crudola but Nintendo's gots some alien technologies to be ables to push all these crazy physics and gameplays scenarios on it they are lapping other devs

If Switch had PS5 powers the Zelda devs would prolly creates the holodeck

398cb02a20935c112879a60890f4ad7bb3be1fe87274d0adf75819977740768e.gif
Lapping other developers? Your delusions have hit new heights.

Good for you that you you are so impressed by swastika windmills and low res, empty worlds. For as much convincing as you are doing, part of me wonders if you aren’t enjoying the game as much as you would lead others to believe.

Last edited:

PillsOff

Banned
Wait.... What are you sayin?

The guy playing games only on top of the line PC's since 95 went from his 120fps 4090 gaming to dusting off his Switch for the first time in 5 years n did't found gfx appealing?

We need to investigate what happened!
Mystery for the ages

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Lapping other developers? Your delusions have hit new heights.

Good for you that you you are so impressed by swastika windmills and low res, empty worlds. For as much convincing as you are doing, part of me wonders if you aren’t enjoying the game as much as you would lead others to believe.

The game world isn't empty, you would know this if you actually played it. You are the one who is clearly delusional, mate.

GloveSlap

There was a time that you didn't have to choose between Nintendo gameplay and modern graphics. Some people can accept current Nintendo graphics, and others get a little sour because they compare it to the time before. It's an old debate at this point and neither side is wrong.

I personally get a little sour, because i can picture what could be.

He isn't wrong. It's a shame that such a good game that gets it right is relegated to extremely old and out of date tech. Visuals aren't the only important thing for videogames but when a game is visually weak to the point that is damages the overall product, then you have a problem. Even the game at 1080p with a locked 30fps and proper motion blur, that would have been OK. In fact that is the baseline of what is OK. And we don't even get that.

Tams

He isn't wrong. It's a shame that such a good game that gets it right is relegated to extremely old and out of date tech. Visuals aren't the only important thing for videogames but when a game is visually weak to the point that is damages the overall product, then you have a problem. Even the game at 1080p with a locked 30fps and proper motion blur, that would have been OK. In fact that is the baseline of what is OK. And we don't even get that.

Well obviously I don't speak for you or him, but the graphical fidelity is good enough for me and I just don't find it an issue at all when playing it. Other than a low framerate in busy scenes, I don't notice any performance issues.

Now, if I stop and think about it, yes it would look better at a higher resolution with higher resolution textures and more effects. Yes, it would be a bit smoother to play. And yes, the world could have more NPCs in it.

But, again, when playing it I just don't notice that. I'm there to have fun not scrutinise the performance; and it provides just that.

And even with newer SoCs, Nintendo (or anyone else) would not get that much better performance at the same accessible price (bear in mind the cheapest Switch is £180) while maintaining a profit on the hardware (which is ultimately a healthy business decision).

Last edited:
Well obviously I don't speak for you or him, but the graphical fidelity is good enough for me today I just don't find it an issue at all when playing it. Other than a low framerate in busy scenes, I don't notice any performance issues.

Now, if I stop and think about it, yes it would look better at a higher resolution with higher resolution textures and more effects. Yes, it would be a bit smoother to play. And yes, the world could have more NPCs in it.

But, again, when playing it I just don't notice that. I'm there to have fun not scrutinise the performance; and it provides just that.

And even with newer SoCs, Nintendo (or anyone else) would not get that much better performance at the same accessible price (bear in mind the cheapest Switch is £180) while maintaining a profit on the hardware (which is ultimately a healthy business decision).
I agree with you. It's 100% a game that is too good to let some visual shortcomings get in the way of enjoying. For BOTW and TOTK, they simply are what they are for better or worse, but its a shame that of all the devs out there making games this good, they are just plum ugly at times.

fallingdove

The game world isn't empty, you would know this if you actually played it. You are the one who is clearly delusional, mate.
I actually have played it/am playing it. It’s a step up from BOTW for sure but I don’t know that I would call it brimming with life.

But hey - if you think that TOTK is the most dense, most technically complex, most artistically rich game out there, then good for you. There are differing opinions on the matter and they shouldn’t be discounted because —Zelda.

LakeOf9

At this point I assume he’s just jealous and wants attention desperately from an industry that has thankfully long since moved past him.

Top Bottom