• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Koepp is writing 'Indiana Jones 5'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Via The Hollywood reporter

David Koepp, a longtime Spielberg confederate who wrote 1993’s Jurassic Park, has been tapped to pen the script for the new adventure, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

This won’t be Koepp’s first swing on the jungle vine, as the screenwriter, who also wrote Spielberg movies The Lost World: Jurassic Park and War of the Worlds, co-wrote the previous Indiana Jones movie, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Plot details are being kept secure in the Well of the Souls. It is unclear if Koepp is working off any existing treatment or story. Crystal Skull, for example, has treatments written by Indiana Jones co-creator George Lucas and the story credit went to Lucas and Jeff Nathanson, the latter who wrote several drafts.

Lucas' involvement in the new movie project remains unclear. He was not mentioned in Disney's announcement this week and if the new Star Wars movies are any indication, he will not be involved. (He was vocal in saying Force Awakens did not use his ideas.)

Pewaukee native David Koepp? He should have stuck with writing his own stuff, like Stir of Echoes, but I guess the paychecks have been good.

strafer

unluckybastardgndqu.gif

Sapiens

This is coming out in 2019 - so, there will be more time between Indy 4 and 5 than there was between Indy 1 and Indy 3. They should just reboot this and cast Idris Fasspratbeuf

Boem

Hmm...

Jurassic Park: Good.
Lost World: Bad.
War of the Worlds: Horrible.
Crystal Skull: Bad, but I liked it just because I'm a sucker to see Harrison Ford in that fedora. It's my Star Wars/Marvel/whatever corner of geekdom other people inhabit.

But yeah, not having George Lucas in the picture can only be good thing. I'm expecting a repeat of the first/third movie in the same way that Force Awakens worked, but that's fine with me, as long as they put as much genuine effort into it.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I love how people just love to pile onto the Lucas hate bandwagon, when Spielberg is just as responsible if not more for Crystal Skull's shortcomings.

His work is kind of all over the place in quality, but I like most of David Koepp's work, so I'm fine with that. He can definitely write a good adventure story under proper direction. Would have preferred Kasdan, but alas, it was not meant to be.

EDIT: People didn't like War of the Worlds? What specifically about it? Only part that made me shake my head was when Tom Cruise's son runs over a hill and magically teleports to Boston.

Boem

He wrote that recent Man in Black sequel. Saw that on a plane once, remember sort of liking that one. For a completely unnecessary sequel that is, of course.

I probably wouldn't be so positive if I ever sat down to properly watch it.

Of course, don't forget that movies like this have tons of writers working on it. Didn't Frank Darabont write an early version of what ended up being Crystal Skull (which was actually much better than the end result, but I may be misremembering).

Now, Spielberg DID take credit for the fridge-nuking.

I know I'm alone on the internet with this, but I'll defend the fridge scene until the end of time. It was funny, had a very different vibe compared to action scenes in the other movies (unlike most of the rest of the movie), it fit the time period and it was a nice play on the 'what to do during a nuclear explosion' instruction films of the time. And, of course, that old nonsenical instruction of hiding in a fridge actually works for Indy. It's not much more ridiculous compared to stuff in the early movies, with the monkey brains, or the hearts being pulled out while the victims continue to live and look at it, or the ghosts from God's box, or the fall from a plane in the inflatable boat, etc. The series had goofy, cartoon-like logic in certain scenes since the beginning of the franchise.

I know, I know, people will call me an idiot for that opinion. Crystal Skull had plenty of problems, but the fridge scene wasn't one of them.

Sephzilla

I love how people just love to pile onto the Lucas hate bandwagon, when Spielberg is just as responsible if not more for Crystal Skull's shortcomings.

The only thing Spielberg is really responsible for is rolling over and letting Lucas have way too much free reign with the story. I'm pretty sure Spielberg flat out says he let George have his way in one of the behind the scenes things.

Now, Spielberg DID take credit for the fridge-nuking.

Which, honestly, isn't even the most ridiculous way Indy survives something in the franchise.

Oozer3993

Well the entire Alien premise was definitely Lucas's idea. Not sure about the rest.

Lucas came up with the very bare plot (a crystal skull leads to aliens) and the ideas for most of the set pieces (rocket sled, a nuclear blast, vine swinging, going over a waterfall, ants). Different writers probably tweaked those set pieces (the fridge actually being thrust into the air may have come from Nathanson or Koepp for instance) as well as added their own more intricate plot and embellishments. The book The Making of Indiana Jones mentions Jeff Nathanson as coming up with Indy having a kid, if I remember correctly.

Neoweee

What is more ridiculous than surviving a nuclear bomb at ground zero?

He's not at ground zero. It's a mile or a few away, and it is clearly established that at that distance it isn't melting the houses, etc., just blasting them apart from the shockwave, which a fridge would survive better than the house surrounding it.

The problem isn't it melting, it is him surviving the impacts of getting knocked around on the inside.

Sephzilla

What is more ridiculous than surviving a nuclear bomb at ground zero?

Well technically there's evidence to support that Indy could actually survive an atomic bomb in a lead fridge. However I'm pretty sure Indy surviving jumping from a plane with only an inflatable raft was busted.

Sapiens

Inter-dimensional beings.

Nope - if they weren't robots, then the most logical second choice would be fallen angels who had had hijacked god's chariot.

Inter-Dimensional beings don't make any sense as the Indy universe never established FTL or multi-universal travel as existing.

Boem

He's not at ground zero.

The problem isn't it melting, it is him surviving the impacts of getting knocked around on the inside.

How is that an issue in an Indiana Jones movie? By that logic, how did he survive that drope from the plane in the second movie? Or the submarine ride in the first movie?

It doesn't matter honestly. Not that Crystal Skull was a perfect movie (it most definitely wasn't), but I don't get that specific criticism. The fact that it's goofy isn't a mistake, it's the point of the scene. It has always been a goofy franchise.

Sapiens

People need to stop shitting on (in?) that fridge gag because it was one of the few cool things to happen in that movie (second best being Marion's glorious gilf fupa/gunt).

Neoweee

How is that an issue in an Indiana Jones movie? By that logic, how did he survive that drope from the plane in the second movie? Or the submarine ride in the first movie?

It doesn't matter honestly. Not that Crystal Skull was a perfect movie (it most definitely wasn't), but I don't get that specific criticism.

I'm not saying I care that much about the scene. I agree, he survives a ton of crap in the movies.

I'm arguing that people are complaining about the wrong parts of that scene when they do complain about it.

Documentation sort of backs up his survival though, at least that's what I've read.

Lead lining would protect Indy from radiation. It would not, however, protect him from temperatures of several thousand degrees, being launched into the air like a missile, and crashing into ground at hundreds of miles per hour. Assuming the fridge wouldn't completely melt in the blast, I'm pretty sure Indy would have been turned into soup.

Showaddy

Lucas came up with the very bare plot (a crystal skull leads to aliens) and the ideas for most of the set pieces (rocket sled, a nuclear blast, vine swinging, going over a waterfall, ants). Different writers probably tweaked those set pieces (the fridge actually being thrust into the air may have come from Nathanson or Koepp for instance) as well as added their own more intricate plot and embellishments. The book The Making of Indiana Jones mentions Jeff Nathanson as coming up with Indy having a kid, if I remember correctly.

Yeah that makes sense. There's definitely elements that feel like they came straight from Lucas and others like the early bike chase scene which were completely Spielberg.

People need to stop shitting on (in?) that fridge gag because it was one of the few cool things to happen in that movie (second best being Marion's glorious gilf fupa/gunt).

The fridge was dumb but I can kinda forgive it because the whole thing was just a setup to give us this:

Lead lining would protect Indy from radiation. It would not, however, protect him from temperatures of several thousand degrees, being launched into the air like a missile, and crashing into ground at hundreds of miles per hour. Assuming the fridge wouldn't completely melt in the blast, I'm pretty sure Indy would have been turned into soup.

Yeah.

But I guess the MOST LOGICAL counter-argument is, this movie is a homage to B-movies of yore.
What documentation is there that supports the existence of voodoo, Christian artifacts that melt your face, aliens, and a holy grail that heals instantly..................

So contextually, in the Indiana Jones world. It's logical.

Ugh, yeah...even if you just remove the stupidity of what's happening in the actual scene, from minute one,I always thought it just looked bad. The lighting, and the effects just all look fucking horrible, and unrealistic at all. Just a CGI mess of visuals that looked blurry and distorted.

I agree, but I think it's safe to say a Spielberg without Lucas modern Indiana Jones will turn out better than a Lucas without Spielberg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom