• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Koepp is writing 'Indiana Jones 5'

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

i'm not gonna blame him for the Indy 4 disaster. that movie had potential with the story. i blame all of it on Lucas from what i read about. Spielberg let Lucas do what he wanted and they got a turd made because of it.

Neff

Disappointing, but Crystal Skull is one of Koepp's least worst scripts along with War of the Worlds.

Lucas needs to be 100% behind this, and I expect Spielberg to fight for him if Disney says otherwise.

If he isn't, then I won't expect much.

Jurassic Park 1 was only a good script because Michael Crichton co-wrote it.

David Koepp is not a good writer.

He literally took Chrichton's book and dumbed it down, which was perhaps necessary for a 2 hour summer movie, but almost none of what makes JP a good movie can be attributed to Koepp imo. Lost World is a case in point example.

Tansut

The fridge was dumb but I can kinda forgive it because the whole thing was just a setup to give us this:

indiana-jones-iv.jpg
That's a legitimately great shot that feels ripped out of an awesome Indiana Jones movie we never got to see.

Boem

On a positive note (and yes, I'm being an optimistic fanboy here), I do like that Spielberg is still involved, instead of handing the franchise off to a younger director like with Star Wars (although I suspect that will happen anyway if the new movie is a success, and lets face it, it probably will be - regardless of quality).

Crystal Skull wasn't great, but it had some moments that felt like old-school Spielberg. I count the fridge scene among that, for the reasons I explained above, but especially the motorcycle scene in the university. Spielberg almost seemed slightly apologetic in later interviews - admitting that some audience members thought the movie got a bit too silly, taking the 'blame' for the fridge scene after people started shitting on George Lucas for it, etc.

Just a couple of years later Spielberg made Tintin, and that is easily a better Indiana Jones movie than Skull was. You could tell by watching it how excited Spielberg was with the new technology, and with being able to finally actually handle the camera himself for some of the bigger scenes. The jeep chase is of course the big masterpiece of that movie, but the entire movie is Spielberg at the top of his game. I'm a big Spielberg fanboy, but most of his modern works feel too saccharine, too soft to me (like War of the Worlds, Lincoln, etc). Well-made, sure, but it lacked the edge and energy of his earlier works.

Tintin was, easily, the best Spielberg adventure movie since Raiders of the Lost Ark. It was like he was finally able to tap back into that part of himself again (although it obviously helped to have people like Edgar Wright working on the movie). I hope that he brings some of that experience and energy to the new Indy. In a way it's weird that this movie is happening, not only given Ford's age and the fact that both he and Spielberg really don't have to do it for the money anymore, but especially because Skull felt like the closer of the series. One last trip for an older Indy, Indy getting married to Marion, almost-but-not-quite handing the hat over to his son. The fact that Spielberg and Ford are doing it again is, hopefully, because they want to end their involvement with the series on a higher note than Crystal Skull.

Or, I guess, they could just really like money. That's definitely a possibility. But fuck it, I was the kid who ran around in the backyard with a whip and the Grail Diary you got with the Last Crusade adventure game. I'm shamelessly excited for this, perhaps against my better judgement.

Boem

Who wrote Tintin? That should have been him.

Steven Moffat, Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish. And directed by Spielberg. (although Moffat only worked on an early draft - he had to drop out early because he got the Doctor Who gig).

Damn man, it's almost impossible to get a better group together for a movie like that.

Edit: Also something to consider: looking at how Disney is handling Star Wars, hopefully it's easier now to push for film instead of digital, and more practical effects (although Ford's age will probably be a major obstacle).

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Ugh, yeah...even if you just remove the stupidity of what's happening in the actual scene, from minute one,I always thought it just looked bad. The lighting, and the effects just all look fucking horrible, and unrealistic at all. Just a CGI mess of visuals that looked blurry and distorted.
A lot of it has to do with the differences in cinematography. The guy who did the first three films, Douglas Slocombe, retired after Last Crusade because he was losing his vision. Janusz Kamiński has been Spielberg's cinematographer since Schindler's List, and he has this distinctive bloomy look. Even though he claims that he tried to emulate Slocombe's style in Crystal Skull, you can still easily see his fingerprints in the frame. And to be frank, it doesn't really work for me for that feature. That and the introduction of digital colour correction allowed for a greater control of how the final picture would look.

Dead

well not really...yet
Steven Moffat, Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish. And directed by Spielberg. (although Moffat only worked on an early draft - he had to drop out early because he got the Doctor Who gig).

Damn man, it's almost impossible to get a better group together for a movie like that.

Edit: Also something to consider: looking at how Disney is handling Star Wars, hopefully it's easier now to push for film instead of digital, and more practical effects (although Ford's age will probably be a major obstacle).
What the fuck does it being shot in film or digital have to do with anything quality wise.

B.K.

I wish George Lucas was still around and working for Lucasfilm. I don't necessarily want him writing the final script, but I wouldn't mind him coming up with the story and writing the first draft of the script that is then polished up. I'm afraid Disney is going to ruin Indiana Jones the way they ruined Star Wars Episode VII. I still want to know what Lucas's vision for the sequel trilogy was back in 2012 before Disney threw away all his outlines.

I need to know, very specifically, what George Lucas's involvement is with this movie before stepping into the theater. I don't even want to accidentally like something he's been involved with in 2016.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
can't wait for this, heard the setting will be mostly Egypt as seen by a leaked photo of Ford here screentesting for one of the scenes where he's consulting a map

The_Mummy_1932_Boris-Karloff-2.jpg

Judging by the earlier Darabont script, it was always going to suck. But hiring Koepp was never going to help it either.

I'm. So sick of this narrative that it sucked.
What sucked? Aliens? His son?
Like the original trilogy is this holy grail of perfection compared to it. Yeahno

I'll repeat this

existence of voodoo, Christian artifacts that melt your face, aliens, and a holy grail that heals instantly..................

Noooo aliens is just WAY too wacky. Yeah.

jett

D-Member
Like the original trilogy is this holy grail of perfection compared to it. Yeahno

I'll repeat this

existence of voodoo, Christian artifacts that melt your face, aliens, and a holy grail that heals instantly..................

Crystal Skulls being widely considered awful is a narrative, now?

Razorback

I'll repeat this

I agree that blaming Indy 4's quality on the subject matter is missing the mark. Indy 4 is terrible for a myriad of other reasons.

pitchfork

Fuck it..

we've had Aliens

I wanna see Indy getting wrapped up in some 'Lovecraftian' horror

Have him searching for R'lyeh or getting lost in the 'mountains of madness' or something

LastNac

God Damnit, the one person I didn't want it to be.

Koepp is awful, and he wrongly gets credit for writing Jurassic Park when all the man did was come in with a few Malcolm jokes at the 11th hour.

Boem

What the fuck does it being shot in film or digital have to do with anything quality wise.

Shooting on film won't make a bad movie good, but it certainly looks a lot better. Spielberg wanted to continue shooting on film with Skull, but Lucas pushed for digital.

DiscoJer

It wouldn't ever happen, but they should track down the writers of the old Marvel Indiana Jones comic book and hire them.

That had some really good stories.

Much better than that Young Indiana Jones stuff where he apparently had to meet every famous person in the world at some time or another

I agree that blaming Indy 4's quality on the subject matter is missing the mark. Indy 4 is terrible for a myriad of other reasons.

Like Ford was too old to be credible for all the stunts and Shia had not enough charisma to be believable.

Or that the movie copy itself
basically reusing the atomic mushroom moneyshoot when the spaceship goes away at the end.

Or that the zeitgest is changed and adventure movies aren't the hot shit anymore.

I still don't understand how they could even hypothetically pull this off well. Nobody wants to see an 80 year old Indy jumping around beating people up, and nobody wants to see him pass the torch to some trendy young actor either, especially after the whole Mutt thing in the last movie. It's a lose lose situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom