• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Lynch: "It is happening" Twin Peaks back on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maaaybe we shouldn't push it in this direction at all. Personally, I haven't really considered any prior set report to be a "spoiler," because they were only slightly more revealing than opening credits would be, but if these new spoilers are accurate, we're spoiling actual dramatic story beats and a likely order in which they will be presented.
I feel weird saying this, so sorry if my fanboyism is showing, but now it's starting to feel... disrespectful towards Lynch and Frost.

I can understand your concern and position but I personally am interested in whatever I can learn. The story beats don't matter as much to me as the imagery which is the ultimate experience, and the latter obviously isn't going to get spoiled outside of crappy mobile pics taken from afar. I can respect if others don't want to learn these things though, and that's maybe why we should have a dedicated spoiler thread.

Bummer news about recasting today, it's been hinted before but confirmed now. Michael Ontkean won't be returning as Sheriff Truman, Robert Forster will be replacing him. Not sure if he'll play a new Sheriff (hopefully) but it's worth noting he was Lynch and Frost's first choice for the Truman role when they were casting the original series.

http://tvline.com/2015/10/08/twin-peaks-sheriff-harry-truman-recast-michael-ontkean-robert-forster/

TVLine has learned exclusively that Michael Ontkean has opted not to reprise his beloved role of Sheriff Harry S. Truman in the upcoming limited-run revival. Rumor has it that veteran actor Robert Forster (Heroes, Karen Sisco) has stepped in to replace Ontkean as the town’s top lawman, although it’s unclear if he will be playing Truman or a new sheriff.

Regarding Ontkean’s decision not to return, a source close to the actor says, “Michael is fully retired from show business, and has been for many years.”

Ontkean and MacLachlan's chemistry was pretty great, but I'm still eager to see what Forster brings to the show. Dude was phenomenal in Jackie Brown.

SpaceHorror

Bummer news about recasting today, it's been hinted before but confirmed now. Michael Ontkean won't be returning as Sheriff Truman, Robert Forster will be replacing him. Not sure if he'll play a new Sheriff (hopefully) but it's worth noting he was Lynch and Frost's first choice for the Truman role when they were casting the original series.

http://tvline.com/2015/10/08/twin-peaks-sheriff-harry-truman-recast-michael-ontkean-robert-forster/

Ontkean and McLaughlan's chemistry was pretty great, but I'm still eager to see what Forster brings to the show. Dude was phenomenal in Jackie Brown.

Man, that is a total bummer...

Michael Horse is returning, right?

-griffy-

Banned
Forster is a good get, he should fit right in with the Twin Peaks vibe. Hopefully he just plays a new character though.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I hope they have him as an entirely new character, I couldn't stand to see them replace someone like Truman like they did with Donna in Fire Walk With Me.

Loved the almost childlike chemistry Ontkean and McLaughlan gave their characters after Truman got used to Cooper's weirdness. I will sorely miss that.

That sucks, but holy shit Robert Forster is a great consolation prize. I had no idea he was the original choice, he'll fit in great (but yeah I hope he's playing a different character).

Back to trying to avoid checking in on this thread.

It's a bummer for sure, but this scene from Mulholland Dr. makes me think Forster will fit right in:

fhd001MDE_Robert_Forster_001.jpg

For some reason I had Robert Forster confused with Michael Parks, which made me doubly confused. Robert Forster is a good catch. Sucks that Michael Ontkean isn't coming back, though.

It's especially unfortunate because despite the quote that Ontkean was and still is retired, an author of a TP retrospective book that had close contact with him said that just in July Ontkean expressed excitement at returning to the role, looking for the jacket etc. So either things got bungled in negotiations or possibly health related? Hope it's not the latter :/

TheChits

This is seriously disappointing :(

Violet_0

Banned
slightly OT but I just finished the first season of Twin Peaks and goddamn that cliffhanger ending is annoying me, I was expecting everything to wrap up neatly in the last episode

so I hear people say that season 2 is generally considered worse than the first one, is there a particular episode that ends with the investigation of the Laura Palmer case or does the plot drag on all throughout the season (and the movie)?

seriously, cliffhanger endings are the worst

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
slightly OT but I just finished the first season of Twin Peaks and goddamn that cliffhanger ending is annoying me, I was expecting everything to wrap up neatly in the last episode

so I hear people say that season 2 is generally considered worse than the first one, is there a particular episode that ends with the investigation of the Laura Palmer case or does the plot drag on all throughout the season (and the movie)?

The Laura Palmer plot is resolved part way through Season 2, which wasn't planned by Lynch and Frost but was a demand by their channel. After a bit of meandering, the plot picks back up again, but the show did lose a little something after the murder was resolved. The last few episodes of Season 2 are worth it though, and you'll see why the 25 year wait between seasons was so maddening!

Violet_0

Banned
The Laura Palmer plot is resolved part way through Season 2, which wasn't planned by Lynch and Frost but was a demand by their channel. After a bit of meandering, the plot picks back up again, but the show did lose a little something after the murder was resolved. The last few episodes of Season 2 are worth it though, and you'll see why the 25 year wait between seasons was so maddening!

thanks, I guess I just don't really look forward to watch another 22 episode right away so I'll probably just slow down a bit once they reveal the murderer

Corpekata

Banned
I'm pretty fine with some recasts and people not returning personally. Some of the cast were a bit stiff 20 years ago, and a lot haven't acted very much since then.

Or if they do return, maybe in a bit more minor roles. A big thing that hamstrung season 2 was trying to fit the entire cast into the show for far longer than they were interesting or relevant.

Big shoot planned for tonight at the Palmer house in Everett...

An Everett press release said filming would take place Wednesday along Pigeon Creek Road and at the 33rd Street house. On Friday night, it said, neighbors will see lights and “may also hear dramatic screams.” The letter to neighbors said, “You may hear occasional yells or other loud noises” that “may sound like criminal activity.

“That is assuredly not the case,” the letter said. “The Everett Police Department is aware of our activities and will be on site with us.”

Thomas said the late-night filming could last until 6 a.m. Saturday. “There will be big lights out there. They call it hanging the moon, they put up so many lights,” she said.

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20151009/BLOG60/151009043

Thinking of shooting over there later myself, maybe I'll get lucky and hear the scream(s).

Flipyap

Watch out what you wish for. You're watching a show whose central mystery was never meant to be resolved.
That had to change due to network pressure and, luckily, some of the changes they were forced to make ended up benefiting the show, but the show nearly fell apart the moment they tried to neatly wrap everything up.

I'm on set guys. Holy shit this is amazing. Spoilers below. Cast and character info, this is bigger than previous ones so tread carefully.

Kyle and Sheryl Lee walking hand in hand towards the Palmer house. They roll up in a black Lincoln. They walk up the steps of the Palmer house hand in hand. Nothing else seen so far.

Kyle came over and said hello to everyone, about 20 to 30 of us. So exciting!

Kemal86

The above is easily a REAL SPOILER. Would advise most people stay away.

(But still, thanks for posting stuff! Sounds like you're having a great time).

Reckoner

I'm on set guys. Holy shit this is amazing. Spoilers below. Cast and character info, this is bigger than previous ones so tread carefully.

Kyle and Sheryl Lee walking hand in hand towards the Palmer house. They roll up in a black Lincoln. They walk up the steps of the Palmer house hand in hand. Nothing else seen so far.

oh shit that's really big

It was nice reading it, but I guess I'll retreat now.

Holy shit.

Yep, this is one of the few things I don't want to know what's gonna be happening in. That little spoiler there (if it is to be believed and my hunch is it is probably true), is more than enough for me.

Are we making the assumption that Cooper
aka "Good Coop" has somehow escaped the Black Lodge or that Evil Coop is still out and about?

That's one theory floating around. Someone there overheard just a tiny snippet of dialogue
when they come to the door. Cooper takes out his badge and asks whoever opens the door (not seen) if this was their house and then they shut the door on them. What with the odd slow and trance like way they were walking side by side it makes me think they might be doppelgangers/possessed but who knows. Could be a dream sequence, anything really.

chekhonte

I'm curious.

For those of you excited for the new Twin Peaks episodes are you guys hoping for a return of the show in classic form or are you hoping for something that more resembles Lynch's more recent works?

I'm guess that most of you want the classic Twin Peaks feel but are there any of you that like Mulholland Drive or Inland Empire and would like to see Twin Peaks take on this approach?

I would like him to continue his current work but I'm sure I'm in the minority.

I would highly prefer something in the tone of the movies, with a bit of the quirkiness from the TV show/the first part of the movie. But I definitely prefer something dark.

chekhonte

I would highly prefer something in the tone of the movies, with a bit of the quirkiness from the TV show/the first part of the movie. But I definitely prefer something dark.

I'd be OK with that too. I really liked the movie when it came out but I've liked nearly each of his movies more than the last.

This is where I'm at. If an insider on dugpa.com is to be believed he's steering it in a mostly dark direction, more fwwm than tone of the series proper. I hope he kind of utilizes ideas he may have had for Mulholland Drive as a series for TP as well. This is an insanely ambitious project, nothing like it has really been done in TV before. Story as one long continuous film broken up into pieces after principal photography. Editing is probably gonna drive Lynch bonkers xD

chekhonte

This is where I'm at. If an insider on dugpa.com is to be believed he's steering it in a mostly dark direction, more fwwm than tone of the series proper. I hope he kind of utilizes ideas he may have had for Mulholland Drive as a series for TP as well. This is an insanely ambitious project, nothing like it has really been done in TV before. Story as one long continuous film broken up into pieces after principal photography. Editing is probably gonna drive Lynch bonkers xD

If that's true. It's great to be alive in a time with such a great American director. I'm very interested in seeing what he does.

Man, Robert Forster is fantastic but no Michael Ontkean reaaaally takes the wind out of the sails of my excitement for this. For me personally it's the same as finding out Kyle Maclachlan isn't returning, those two actors were the heart and soul of Twin Peaks as far as I'm concerned.

TMZ has video footage of
Cooper and Laura
walking together to the
Palmer House.
It matches up perfectly with wanderingprostheyltite's description..

MAJOR SPOILER.

I'm not sure if posting the link would show up unspoiled on mobile, so just search for it.

The shoot for this show has to be incredibly long, there is still a lot to be done on sets, and they will probably go back to locations too. I wouldn't rule out anyone's return yet that is physically able. For all we know Lynch shot some things with Coulson before she passed. They were close friends and he most certainly knew she was sick. Let's not forget Lynch shot all those Log Lady intros back in the day when Bravo picked up reruns. I don't know if Lynch had any studio money to do that. We know Lynch and Frost have been discussing TP for the past 3 years so he could have taken some initiative in making sure Coulson had some presence in the new series. Of course I'm quick not to get my hopes up either. I'm going to trust Lynch and Frost if they think certain characters shouldn't return.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The shoot for this show has to be incredibly long, there is still a lot to be done on sets, and they will probably go back to locations too. I wouldn't rule out anyone's return yet that is physically able. For all we know Lynch shot some things with Coulson before she passed. They were close friends and he most certainly knew she was sick. Let's not forget Lynch shot all those Log Lady intros back in the day when Bravo picked up reruns. I don't know if Lynch had any studio money to do that. We know Lynch and Frost have been discussing TP for the past 3 years so he could have taken some initiative in making sure Coulson had some presence in the new series. Of course I'm quick not to get my hopes up either. I'm going to trust Lynch and Frost if they think certain characters shouldn't return.

I've been thinking this. Avoiding all the spoiler talk, but of course know they're filming currently. But since they're working on a what may likely be a 18-episode series, and since some of the details and stuff are being sorted and they're filming in radically different places, they could certainly be at this for a while. I don't mind, I can wait for it to come out, but I was thinking when they said 2016 the date was somewhat optimistic. It could still be then, but I have my doubts, but won't mind if it's delayed.

Though nice to know they're currently actively filming it, does make it more exciting as something tangible that it's actually happening now.

Reckoner

I've been thinking this. Avoiding all the spoiler talk, but of course know they're filming currently. But since they're working on a what may likely be a 18-episode series, and since some of the details and stuff are being sorted and they're filming in radically different places, they could certainly be at this for a while. I don't mind, I can wait for it to come out, but I was thinking when they said 2016 the date was somewhat optimistic. It could still be then, but I have my doubts, but won't mind if it's delayed.

Though nice to know they're currently actively filming it, does make it more exciting as something tangible that it's actually happening now.

2016? It was already postponed to 2017.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

This is what I get for going on media blackout only to peek in right now, I hadn't even heard the announcement. Well, I'm not surprised at all, it should take a while, but the main point stands, I think it's fine. Lynch is a perfectionist with editing and since they're moving to many different shooting spots and doing 18 or so episodes, it will probably take some time, and the shooting alone should take some time.

Honestly I would love if they released a special advance episode to start this new series, a sort of pilot if you will. I think it would really satiate a lot of fans if they got just a small taste sometime in 2016. I'm not sure why more shows don't do this actually. Splitting the season has become a huge thing lately, and Doctor Who does their Christmas special. Star Wars Rebel also did a special back in June. It's nuts that it will be at least 16 months from first day of shooting until the first episode airs. And Frost's book is delayed as well. They need to release promotional photos too. I think a well regulated release of official information will stop a lot of fans from seeking out spoilers. I mean, why not shoot a promo in the renovated RR Diner? Give the fans an official look, nothing would be ruined that way.

Ashok

Banned

Well, imho Season 1 is a far better season "overall", but Season 2 has the best material in the series. The back half of S2 is my favorite stretch of Twin Peaks, and I greatly prefer the direction of the end of S2 over the original Laura Palmer murder case.

This is what I get for going on media blackout only to peek in right now, I hadn't even heard the announcement. Well, I'm not surprised at all, it should take a while, but the main point stands, I think it's fine. Lynch is a perfectionist with editing and since they're moving to many different shooting spots and doing 18 or so episodes, it will probably take some time, and the shooting alone should take some time.

Editing might take longer than usual too as he isn't working with long time editor Mary Sweeney on this.

Honestly I would love if they released a special advance episode to start this new series, a sort of pilot if you will. I think it would really satiate a lot of fans if they got just a small taste sometime in 2016. I'm not sure why more shows don't do this actually. Splitting the season has become a huge thing lately, and Doctor Who does their Christmas special. Star Wars Rebel also did a special back in June. It's nuts that it will be at least 16 months from first day of shooting until the first episode airs. And Frost's book is delayed as well. They need to release promotional photos too. I think a well regulated release of official information will stop a lot of fans from seeking out spoilers. I mean, why not shoot a promo in the renovated RR Diner? Give the fans an official look, nothing would be ruined that way.

Well there likely won't be much more spoilers cause they're finishing up in Washington on Monday from what I've heard. Going to be pretty much soundstages in LA from here on out.

KillySG10

Neo Member
Robert Foster is absolutely amazing.

Please don't be scared of this news.
I don't think anyone's worried about Robert Forster, he's a brilliant actor, the worry is Michael Ontkean not returning, the chemistry between him and Kyle Maclachlan was fantastic, if Forster replaces Ontkean as Truman, it just wont feel the same, no matter how fantastic an actor he is.

Of course this is all due to speculation that Truman might be recast, personally i hope he's playing a new character that's taken over as Sheriff.

temp

posting on contract only
Well I really liked Sheriff Truman, but you gotta expect the show's going to be different, so I'm open to some new characters.

...I hope he's a new character.

Slaythe

Well...

Lynch did recast Donna after all....

I would prefer a new character, but I wouldn't be surprised it's a recast.

As stated above, Truman was actually written with Foster in mind so it's sorta fitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom