• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Day 1 patch makes COD: Ghosts SP 1080p on PS4, is 720p without patch

Vizzeh

Banned
WwliLEH.jpg

PS4 Version looks significantly better IMO even 720p v 720p

Im curious in the difference when it is actually 1080p. Even though its COD

Chobel

Russ just said on the Polygon live stream that the version he played and reviewed was not a retail final version, so it was 1080p in both SP and MP according to Activision and his captures.

Re-quoting this for visibility, Russ is sating that the version he played was 1080p in both MP and SP. So all reviewers must have got the same version, 1080p in MP and SP

Krisprolls

Banned
incompetence-gate. What a farce...

The main problem is not even reviewers' incompetence or bias.

It's the fact that for some reason, Activision / Infinity Ward decided to have the PS4 version of their game reviewed at half the real resolution. If it doesn't smell moneyhat, i don't know what does. Or maybe they really really wanted both versions to look the same, so much that slaughtering PS4 version was ok for them.

It's really bad practice...

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
but...on the single player comparison from IGN ps4 really did look better, to me at least. Is it a placebo thing? I feel like my whole life is a lie.

Ominym

Banned
The truth is that Microsoft was moneyhating for parity, so PS4 was 720p, up until recently I'm guessing IW decided not to go along with it. Hence why the game will have a 1080p patch.

Unless you're going to back that up with a source? You're lying.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
So Gies is saying that Xbox One has additional lighting effect, when confronted that Mark Ruben said there's no difference in effects, Gies said Mark Ruben is lying.

QgCtbnc.png

what in holy fuck. How low will this man go. Blackballing the press is a horrible, cowardly move most of the time, but why the fuck would any Playstation developer or "better on PS4" third party developer send this man review copies. Ever.

Today has been one rolling nonsense newsfuck and Polygon is constantly at the centre of them. Brain poison!

LCfiner

I’m just amazed that IW/Acti didn’t send a note out to reviewers about the review code with the old SP resolution.

this friggin game and resolution issues. story keeps getting better

So wait, did reviewers play the singleplayer game at 1080p or 720p on ps4? Because if it was the exact same resolution as the xbox and not a single person thought there was something strange going on, oh my god.

Russ Frushtick (who reviewed the game for Polygon) said that the version he reviewed was 1080p.

PJV3

PS4 Version looks significantly better IMO even 720p v 720p

Im curious in the difference when it is actually 1080p. Even though its COD

Besides the Pink, White and Blue of the US flag there's not much between them. PS4 looks a bit more natural.

I think the reviewers were sitting at the adequate further back distance from screen (as suggested for nextgen) so they proved that any 720-1080 difference is futile even to be discussed. Be happy.

jmdajr

Took this nice summary from a poster at reddit. Really lays out the carnival of stupid really succinctly:

"Let me try and get this straight.

• Activision/IW say that CoD:Ghosts is running at 1080p on PS4 and 720p on Xbox One.
  • Activision/IW don't inform the media or consumers that a patch is needed for the resolution difference in singleplayer.
  • Singleplayer runs at 720p on PS4 pre-patch but is still 1080p in multiplayer pre-patch (with some frame rate issues). Xbox One is 720p in both singleplayer and multiplayer.
  • Members of the media compare the graphics in singleplayer and incorrectly surmise that you can tell the resolution difference.
  • Members of the media compare the graphics in multiplayer and incorrectly summise that you can't tell the difference.
  • Activison/IW reveal that a patch is required for the resolution bump along with potential frame rate fixes.
This is a comedy."

So basically common folk really can't tell the difference. They don't even know what the fuck they are looking at.

besada

Banned
A) Incredibly bizarre that IW managed to fuck up the resolution of an entire game that's already gone gold.
B) Hilarious seeing the various reviewers who could tell the difference between 720P and...720P
C) Equally hilarious paranoid and crazy people got about Polygon.

Launches, the gift that keeps on giving.

stew

Those were MP videos, which were actually 1080p.

Very shortly after 720p PS4 footage was released, we expected something to be wrong.

Honestly, I can't even imagine how someone professionally involved with games in any capacity could not tell.
I was thinking about this video from Ign for example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHNFviGstlI
or from Gamespot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwqGi5_Bu6g
But I don't know if many on Neogaf have seen those videos.

The quality doesn't help for gamers, but the journalist have no excuses.

Vizzeh

Banned
what in holy fuck. How low will this man go. Blackballing the press is a horrible, cowardly move most of the time, but why the fuck would any Playstation developer or "better on PS4" third party developer send this man review copies. Ever.

Today has been one rolling nonsense newsfuck and Polygon is constantly at the centre of them. Brain poison!

This is crazy shit... IW purposely sending out PS4720p retail to reviewers to put up against 720p X1......... Lost all respect for them guys

sTaTIx

Russ just said on the Polygon live stream that the version he played and reviewed was not a retail final version, so it was 1080p in both SP and MP according to Activision and his captures.

So basically this Russ guy is nailing his own coffin, confirming that his blindness prevents him from being able to tell the difference between 1080p and 720p, let alone gauging image quality on an objective basis.

So Gies is saying that Xbox One has additional lighting effect, when confronted that Mark Ruben said there's no difference in effects, Gies said Mark Ruben is lying.

QgCtbnc.png

Keep up the good fight Gies. You will get that MS PR position, you just have to wait till they are done hiring PR people who are much more qualified than you. Stay patient Playa....

Orbis

I’m just amazed that IW/Acti didn’t send a note out to reviewers about the review code with the old SP resolution.

this friggin game and resolution issues. story keeps getting better
Truly baffling. Resolutiongate was already defining the launch of these two consoles, and then this happens. You couldn't make it up.

GTI Guy

So what does this mean if the PS4 had framerate issues and was running at 720p wouldn't going to 1080p mean even more framerate issues?

Orca

Not the first time he has accused developers of lying when the facts go against him.

I'm not sure that's saying that he's lying so much as it is saying he may be mistaken again. He was, after all, clearly incorrect to say it was 1080p.

Edit - The game rendering at 720p is clearly just a mistake made somewhere along the line, not a 'M$' moneyhat. They started at 720p and went up to 1080p perhaps, but that change got left out of a new build and it carried forward that way. Those kind of things happen. The funny thing is that nobody at IW noticed it was 720p. How does that happen?

coldfoot

Banned
One thing to remember that few sites reviewed retail copies, most of their impressions came from the review event, where supposedly the PS4 was proper 1080p.

J-Rzez

Remember when IW was up for all those tech awards for the first MW? And now here we are lol. That studio is in serious trouble and needs help badly. I can't believe what a disaster a flagship title like this became.

Patchin' dem pixels.

sono

...Microsoft was moneyhating for parity, so PS4 was 720p, up until recently I'm guessing IW decided not to go along with it. Hence why the game will have a 1080p patch.

I have to say this thought went briefly through my mind too, but of it could only be speculation!

but the severity of the configuration issue is rather bizarre to put it mildly. It is almost on the level of releasing the game without the main character carrying a gun!

EvB

I think the reviewers were sitting at the adequate further back distance from screen (as suggested for nextgen) so they proved that any 720-1080 difference is futile even to be discussed. Be happy.

The trick isn't to sit further away, it's to own a smaller TV, as proved by this popular image...

720p_resolution.gif

ec0ec0

so now we can all forget those comparations... (ALL those threads) because its going to start again, after that patch. Sad.

Finalizer

Wait, so have other reviewers seen this version as well by any chance?

Fuck, now I don't even know what to make of all this anymore. My brain is too thoroughly melted by all this.

Besides the Pink, White and Blue of the US flag there's not much between them. PS4 looks a bit more natural.

IIRC the Xbone version has colorblind mode activated.

th4tguy

Oh god, so that makes a lot of reviews kind of hilarious now.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh boy.

Review copies are often times different from retail copies. Just a matter of who reviewed the game based off the boxed retail copy and who reviewed the game based off a review copy.

I find it highly entertaining that we are reading these new buzzwords that have to define the whole generation (1080/60 duude) and yet no one, not gaf, not the "media" was able to tell the difference. Everyone was just repeating the marketing technobabble of the PR departments.

Hilarious. I love it.

hwateber

Just catching up on this. I was gonna make a joke that Polygon was the only reviewer with journalistic integrity but then I saw the gies twitter feed. The guy is enough of a joke on his own.

I find it highly entertaining that we are reading these new buzzwords that have to define the whole generation (1080/60 duude) and yet no one, not gaf, not the "media" was able to tell the difference. Everyone was just repeating the marketing technobabble of the PR departments.

Hilarious. I love it.

Uh... GAF did tell the difference. This started when a lot of people on GAF noticed PS4 videos running at 720p.

Didn't the XB1 see much more optimization time getting up to speed?

Look what the devs were able to achieve post gold with a patch. They got to double the pixel output.

PS4 owners get to breathe a sigh of relief. And if the games look so close in the head to head now, the gap will only widen with this patch.

Perhaps the framerate will improve, too!

Top Bottom