• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Day 1 patch makes COD: Ghosts SP 1080p on PS4, is 720p without patch

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Remember when IW was up for all those tech awards for the first MW? And now here we are lol. That studio is in serious trouble and needs help badly. I can't believe what a disaster a flagship title like this became.

Patchin' dem pixels.

To be fair, it's not exactly the same IW anymore since then.

antitrop

Remember when IW was up for all those tech awards for the first MW? And now here we are lol. That studio is in serious trouble and needs help badly. I can't believe what a disaster a flagship title like this became.

Patchin' dem pixels.
The Infinity Ward that won all those awards is busy making Titanfall right now.

dreamfall

I just...

Wow.

Resolution woes be damned- reviewers have not a clue.

And Infinity Ward? My goodness, what a mess. On every platform.

DaMan121

I find it highly entertaining that we are reading these new buzzwords that have to define the whole generation (1080/60 duude) and yet no one, not gaf, not the "media" was able to tell the difference. Everyone was just repeating the marketing technobabble of the PR departments.

Hilarious. I love it.

But no one in GAF has played either retail copy.

FinKL

This is crazy shit... IW purposely sending out PS4720p retail to reviewers to put up against 720p X1......... Lost all respect for them guys

Just above you it says from the summary:

"Activision/IW say that CoD:Ghosts is running at 1080p on PS4 and 720p on Xbox One."

Who knows what the deal is here.

railGUN

Banned
I find it highly entertaining that we are reading these new buzzwords that have to define the whole generation (1080/60 duude) and yet no one, not gaf, not the "media" was able to tell the difference. Everyone was just repeating the marketing technobabble of the PR departments.

Hilarious. I love it.

1080/60 is a buzzword and GAF didn't notice. You're really gonna stick with this?

KoopaTheCasual

So basically common folk really can't tell the difference. They don't even know what the fuck they are looking at.

Ahh, it seems I have been corrected, apparently reviewers did NOT receive a retail version of the game, and both MP and SP were 1080p in their version. So... this news doesn't change anything. Just makes IW look continually less competent by the minute.

sTaTIx

Hilarious. I love it.

GAF were the ones who broke this story. How many times does this need to be repeated?

Metfanant

I think at the end of the day...the non-tech sites (IGN, Polygon, just about everyone else) need to leave the technical comparisons to those that at least have a working knowledge of what is going on, and the proper hardware to prove it (basically DF)...

The others just muddy he waters when they get involved because they dont TRULY understand what they are reporting on...

Unless there are catastrophic frame rate issues...or smash you in the face problems with missing assets on one platform...then they should as they say "leave it to the professionals"

coldfoot

Banned
Second best

There's still misterxmedia

Never forget:
98626_original.jpg

LOL

Faddy

Banned
Russ Frushtick (who reviewed the game for Polygon) said that the version he reviewed was 1080p.

I hope he has evidence to back this up since I'm not inclined to believe someone who doesn't see a noticeable difference between 720p and 1080p. I assume they captured single player footage, they should post it.

The past few weeks have been delicious. But even better, these past few weeks have really shone a focused light on how unprofessional gaming "journalism" really is.

It's quite embarrassing really.

Curufinwe

So Gies is saying that Xbox One has additional lighting effect, when confronted that Mark Ruben said there's no difference in effects, Gies said Mark Ruben is lying.

QgCtbnc.png

This deserves its own thread:

Polygon claims Xbone version of Ghosts has additional lighting effects; implies IW are lying about them

EvB

Hilarious. I love it.

Adam Boyes even stood up in front of a crowd and announced it in Brazil.

I wonder if he knew the version he was playing was 720p?

Finalizer

Did you miss the whole other thread where it was GAF members who were the first ones to point out that the PS4 SP footage was 720p?

Sean*O

His assertion doesn't even make sense. I wonder if the "Additional lighting" he's referring to is a result of the different gamma or levels at video output, and he just mistakes it for "additional lighting".

I think if the dev team would try to stretch the hardware for any reason, it would be resolution not lighting.

mxgt

Banned

Hilarious. I love it.

1080/60 is now a buzzword?

smh

Phades

The doubletalk and obfuscation in certain sectors of this industry is pretty sickening. I consider myself extremely informed on video games, like pretty much every poster on GAF, and this shit still leaves me confused and bewilered.

But the sad reality is that if people are still going to buy half-finished games, there is no reason for publishers to delay the launch date.

How will anyone less informed know that the product is half finished on purchase if the whole stream of information is borked from the word go?

shandy706

So what does this mean if the PS4 had framerate issues and was running at 720p wouldn't going to 1080p mean even more framerate issues?

That's actually a really good question if in fact the 720p Single Player was where they were experiencing frame drops.

If it was multi, it would stay the same. However, if it's single player, and reviewers were playing the PS4 version upscaled from 720p, then it's possible a move to 1080p could lower the framerate.

I guess we'll see when we get PROPER/REAL 1080p technical rundowns.

So wait, if the resolution is lower on current copies that went out.. Why is the PS4 struggling to keep a steady framerate and the One doesn't? *goes and reads everything ever*

Cat Party

I'm not going to believe that the review copies were 1080p in SP just because Acti/IW and reviewers say so. At this point, I'm only trusting pixel counters.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
This reminds me of when the first Wii U footage came out and everyone said it looked worse than PS3 and 360 footage... Before it was then revealed that it actually WAS PS3 and 360 footage.

Sometimes biases just get in the way of fair judgement.

Fruitster

Pretty damn humiliating for all parties involved in this. Still, Eltorro's gifs and the comedy act from some of the gaming press's finest has kept it all very entertaining.

Minions

So wait, if the resolution is lower on the review copies that went out.. Why is the PS4 struggling to keep a steady framerate and the One doesn't?

How original.

Something to do with when it autosaves? I think activations day 1 patch was also supposed to resolve that as well...

as far as I can tell since the day one patch is not live, no one has played ps4 ghosts SP in 1080...

unless we can confirm that early review copies had the final resolutions on them.

Russ from Polygon said the version he played was 1080p, as confirmed by Activision and his captures. He rightly pointed out that the version of games played at these events are not final retail.

Finalizer

Vizzeh

Banned
Just above you it says from the summary:

"Activision/IW say that CoD:Ghosts is running at 1080p on PS4 and 720p on Xbox One."

Who knows what the deal is here.

I read it as its 720p atm, the patch on release will increase it to 1080p. Perhaps i Miss-read.

dolabla

So Gies is saying that Xbox One has additional lighting effect, when confronted that Mark Ruben said there's no difference in effects, Gies said Mark Ruben is lying.

QgCtbnc.png

This guy is really something else. He has to be the biggest Xbox fanboy (and possibly overall fanboy) in the industry.

Top Bottom