• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone gets a 5/10 and 6.5/10 from Gamespot and IGN respectively

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acidizer

Banned
Anyway i wonder if this will be another Driveclub where the game reviews badly but certain sections try and convince everyone that the game is actually great and reviews are wrong.

Ermm... Driveclub was great and the reviews were wrong, especially Eurogamer's 6/10 review. Even DF said they enjoyed it a lot more than their reviewer. EGs Wolfenstein review was another howler... both those games are legit standouts of this gen for me, LOVED and platinum'd both.

Last edited:

Dunki

The funny thing is, a lot of the people who were down on this game for being "yet another zombie game" were also excited about LFD3 rumours...
people are not game critics lets not forget this. Remember how they boycotted Kingdom Come And how many people actually loved this game?

Calibos

Haven't played it yet so I can't judge it really, but it looks like a cool video game to me. I will be curious to see reactions and directly compare them to the State of Decay 2 threads so we can call out the hypocrites and fanboys...for science of course.

For the topic...I haven't let review scores guide my decisions too much this whole gen.Especially the mainstream sites. "7" is the new "1" and an "8.5" is viewed as pretty good.... ACG is the best reviewer out there and he says it's decent with some big highs and big lows and to wait fora sale which I will do.

Antoon

Banned
"This OP text is as lame as the "fanboys" it denounces. "
The mod edit is what's lame here. Not everyone has the same opinion, deal with it.

Fake

The Witcher 3 is pretty much the only open world game I enjoyed this generation, and even that became pretty repetitive after a while. And yeah, I also gave up on AC: Odessey. Too much traveling, and too repetitive as well. I`m so glad Jedi Fallen Ordner isn`t going to be open world.
Witcher 3 is my favotire open world game I played, BUT keep that in mind. I played on base PS4, some years after the launch (they even already release the two DLC the game have) and get the 'Complete edition' with all DLC.
If I remember right initial Witcher 3 runs really bad on base consoles in the launch. They release countless patchs trying to fix that. Its easy for me to saying Witcher 3 is solid because I don't played in the day one.
The loading times still are shit on PS4.

Last edited:

Meccs

About what I expected from seeing a few hours of gameplay over the last months and yesterday on Twitch. I never understood the hype for this game. (I didn't play the game myself though).
The OpenCritic summary is pretty much exactly how it looked:
Reviews Summary
+ Strong, Exciting Moments
- Repetitive Missions
- Bland World and Narrative

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Kinda expected this game would be used as a whipping boy, but disappointing nonetheless. After the embarrassment of not being able to say a good thing about Crackdown3 (despite bending over backwards in the attempt), it was inevitable the usual suspects would have to latch onto the "uncool" kid in the Sony camp to show they aren't playing favorites.

Judging by the Eurogamer review, there's actually not much wrong with the game. Still buying I think.

Fluzer

Banned
Kinda expected this game would be used as a whipping boy, but disappointing nonetheless. After the embarrassment of not being able to say a good thing about Crackdown3 (despite bending over backwards in the attempt), it was inevitable the usual suspects would have to latch onto the "uncool" kid in the Sony camp to show they aren't playing favorites.

Judging by the Eurogamer review, there's actually not much wrong with the game. Still buying I think.

Shut up, everyone crapped on Crackdown 3. I crapped on it and I'm allowed (and everyone else) to crap on Days Gone. Stop playing favorites.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Pass for me after reading those and several other reviews. Just doesn’t sound like my cup of tea as I hate survival mechanics, limited ammo and am burnt out on open world games in general.

Silent Duck

LOL. OP has been storming the Day’s Gone threads raging against those who are interested in it and saying how awful it will be while championing Gears of War. While it has been hilarious, he does have a good reason for doing so....

One night, Day’s Gone killed OP’s parents in an alley as they were exiting a theater. Then it murdered his Uncle Ben. The last straw was when Day’s Gone told the OP that his Xbox sucked and had lame games (not realizing that except for a few exclusives, the PS4 and Xbox had pretty much the same games). This proved to be too much and sent him reeling into a fanboy frenzy. He’s been on a mission of vengeance ever since. Day’s Gone (as mediocre as it may be) is his white whale.:messenger_beaming:
2zf7vr.jpg

Seriously, though, the game looks alright. Not terrible, not great.... not worth $60 to me. But I’ll wait and see. Waiting for a real review and not IGN, Gamespot, or Polygon clownery.
2zf9k1.jpg

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
If it had Assassins Creed brand attached, IGN would give it a pass for all the repetitive stuff.

Anyway, I have it bought. I'll give it a good chance. Important to support these games.

I have to agree. Games like AC and Far Cry get a hard pass for having very similar structure of gameplay with each entry.

I also don't think this game is going to be a huge disappointment. I think its disappointing people who have very different taste. They are looking for characteristics in Days Gone that a lot of us don't give two cents about.

I have it pre-loaded and am looking forward to playing it. Taking someone else's word about a game doesn't mean much anymore. It means something if the game is absolute crap, but this has a lot of positives about it too. Some people probably thought The Darkness or Enslaved were mediocre at best and they have their own cult of followers who absolutely loved those games.

IGN and GameSpot are in the spotlight in the games media because of their company name, not the 1 or 2 people they choose to review their games. I think the way companies do reviews is far too biased. Plus you have people who believe every word they say and base everything on someone else's thoughts.

Fluzer

Banned
LOL. OP has been storming the Day’s Gone threads raging against those who are interested in it and saying how awful it will be while championing Gears of War. While it has been hilarious, he does have a good reason for doing so....

One night, Day’s Gone killed OP’s parents in an alley as they were exiting a theater. Then it murdered his Uncle Ben. The last straw was when Day’s Gone told the OP that his Xbox sucked and had lame games (not realizing that except for a few exclusives, the PS4 and Xbox had pretty much the same games). This proved to be too much and sent him reeling into a fanboy frenzy. He’s been on a mission of vengeance ever since. Day’s Gone (as mediocre as it may be) is his white whale.:messenger_beaming:
2zf7vr.jpg

Seriously, though, the game looks alright. Not terrible, not great.... not worth $60 to me. But I’ll wait and see. Waiting for a real review and not IGN, Gamespot, or Polygon clownery.
2zf9k1.jpg

This is not funny because video games can't talk, your joke is the equivalent to paint drying. Please don't do stand up.

Ozrimandias

Okay so over 41 reviews at a minimum of 8.0/10

20 plus reviews at 5.0-7.9 range.

I consider that a weird disparity tbh....

It makes no sense, when a game has this score and so many disparity in its comments...i dunno.

So the overall rating tells me, that instead of being a technical marvel, some interest twist, a showcase of hdr etc....i feels empty.
Ok
Then you tell me that the game is almost at the same level that Fallout 76? a game that got release being broken?

thelastword

Banned
Wow, those reviews are coming fast and hard...It's like every Tom, Dick and Harry gets to review Sony's games........I don't read Meta much but I find Slant Magazine tries to make a name for itself with every Sony exclusive......It's hilarious.......

All in all, yes, there are some low scores, but it seems lots of reviewers enjoyed the game as well, lots of green scores from what I'm seeing.....

evanft

This feels like something to look at when it's $20 or less, especially since by then it'll have a few patches which should clear up some of the issues.

I think I'll pick it up on the cheap.

Stuart360

Wow, those reviews are coming fast and hard...It's like every Tom, Dick and Harry gets to review Sony's games........I don't read Meta much but I find Slant Magazine tries to make a name for itself with every Sony exclusive......It's hilarious.......

All in all, yes, there are some low scores, but it seems lots of reviewers enjoyed the game as well, lots of green scores from what I'm seeing.....
I'm loving your pain at the minute.

chinoXL

is this the end of Sony's golden age of first party games?
hahahaha i hope this is a joke post....people are getting carried away here...the game was never a must buy for me personally but i may check it out...i'll wait and check it on the streams b4 i buy it

Fluzer

Banned
I feel as though a good way to take the attention away from Days Gone is to enable crossplay. You know, something that benefits all gamers. C'mon Sony, be a good guy.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
is this the end of Sony's golden age of first party games?

Not really, the game's still got a respectable Metacritic average as the positive reviews considerably outnumber the bad ones. The reasons for the lower scores seem mostly about bugs and an inability/unwillingness to connect with the story; the former will hopefully be fixed (by now?) with patches and the latter you can't really legislate for when the motivation is rhetorical and ideological.

juliotendo

Probably didn’t have enough lesbian action like TLOU2 or enough people of color in the zombie hordes — which is why mainstream sites rated it low.

TeamGhobad

Banned
Not really, the game's still got a respectable Metacritic average as the positive reviews considerably outnumber the bad ones. The reasons for the lower scores seem mostly about bugs and an inability/unwillingness to connect with the story; the former will hopefully be fixed (by now?) with patches and the latter you can't really legislate for when the motivation is rhetorical and ideological.

i think most of the criticism is about the bland story and characters and the generic world. not sure a patch would fix these problems.

Probably didn’t have enough lesbian action like TLOU2 or enough people of color in the zombie hordes — which is why mainstream sites rated it low.

to be fair u can't have a white guy gunning down PoC zombies..

Last edited:

Romulus

So the game is in the mid 70s on metacritic, not terrible.

And the biggest complaint I see is the missions are repetitive, which can be improved with patches. Even fallout 76 has improved in this aspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom