• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone |Review Thread|

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

• Summary: Set in the beautiful, volcanic scarred high-desert of the Pacific Northwest, Days Gone is an open-world action-adventure game in which you assume the role of Deacon St. John, a Drifter and bounty hunter who would rather risk the dangers of the broken road than live in one of the “safe” wilderness encampments. The game takes place two years following a global pandemic which has wiped out just about everyone, but transformed millions of others into what survivors call Freakers – mindless, feral creatures, more animal than human but very much alive and rapidly evolving. Made up of hundreds of individual Freakers, Hordes eat, move and attack together, seemingly as one. Some Hordes roam the highways at night, while others, like the one in the demo, have found a food source that keeps it in a single location. Skills learned in his prior life as an outlaw biker have given Deacon a slight edge in the seemingly never-ending fight to stay alive. But will it be enough?
  • Developer: Sony Bend
  • Genre(s): Action Adventure, Open-World
  • Rating: M
OpenCritic:
  • Fair Rating
  • Top Critic Average: 72% based on 83 Critic Scores
  • 50% of Critics Recommend
Metacritic:
  • 72% Average based on 81 Critic Scores
    • 49 Positive
    • 30 Mixed
    • 2 Negative

Positive Review(s):
mwanSkx.jpg

Mixed Review(s):
JzmnrOe.jpg

Negative Review(s):

PK4B5GD.jpg

Unscored Review(s):
hXuXYLt.jpg

Given the blatant fanboyism of the previous "review" thread - I felt like a proper one was needed. Keep the console warring out and discuss the actual game, please.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Solid as I can tell. Don't gonna win goty awards, but still a decent game. Looks like one of the best UE games ever made.

That is my general thoughts as well. Looks to be a fun time - but I am not sure I would spend a full 60 on it. I do see myself picking it up when it drops to around 40 or 30 USD though. I do agree that it does look gorgeous and an excellent step up from what Bend Studios usually produces.

Saber

Gold Member
Kinda strange that Ign and Ign Italy has different scores. Were they aways like that?

Anyway, the game doesnt look bad from what I saw. Maybe it doesnt live to their expectations, but it will do fine at its own. Kinda sad to see that metascore though.

Fbh

After watching the Easy Allies review I'll put it in the "pick up for $20 or less" category I put most of these open world games.
Seems decent enough but aside from the hordes it sounds really generic and if even Brandon Jones ,who is generally a sucker for generic open world games, says it's too repetitive it's not a good sign.

Kinda strange that Ign and Ign Italy has different scores. Were they aways like that?
As far as I know the different IGN sites have different reviewers so it's not that strange.

After watching the Easy Allies review I'll put it in the "pick up for $20 or less" category I put most of these open world games.
Seems decent enough but aside from the hordes it sounds really generic and if even Brandon Jones ,who is generally a sucker for generic open world games, says it's too repetitive it's not a good sign.

As far as I know the different IGN sites have different reviewers so it's not that strange.

It feels like a fair review

Personally I felt more positive than negative after watching it

Codes 208

I just got done watching DF’s analysis and while the game certainly looks impressive when you take the time to look at things in a theater mode-like way, but I’m not sure how that’d translate into actual gameplay. I can’t imagine myself being like “oh shit that’s a horde ohshitohshitohshit- oh hey, that’s a pretty flower!”
but for the actual gameplay I’m seeing a lot of complaints of the world just feeling buggy, empty and repetitive. Mainly identical fetch quests, tag-along stealth missions (FUCKING WHY?!? Those were the worst kind of missions in AC), mainly just going from point A to B, do this towns quest, go to that town do their almost identical quests. Having to keep fixing your bike. Par the course of open worlds this gen. I just see this getting very tedious, very quickly.

Overall this is looking like it’s in league with knack, the order and killzone shadowfall so I’ll probably bite when it’s heavily discounted.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
"Days Gone gets a 5/10 and 6.5/10 from Gamespot and IGN respectively"

We're nitpicking this game, isn't anyone going to say its just not a great game? I'm not saying the game doesn't have value, and I could see SONY sitting on this franchise for years down the road, but these arguments are weak. Days Gone will be talked about A LOT and gobble up a lot of money from gamers, we've seen games that aren't AAA sell, I think Days Gone just wants to get talked about.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
No need to panic, the game is backed by SONY, its not like its on Xbox One where AA-AAA games go to die (Crackdown, Quantom Break etc.) so I wouldn't hit the panic button on this game.

Grinchy

Banned
This game never jumped at me leading up to the release, but I could see myself buying a cheap copy a year from now or something. It's not like it looks bad.

DonF

I remember SkillUp's preview. He said that the game was a very solid 70, and that's not a bad thing.

somerset

I feel sorry for the devs- but this game shows a common problem when a long standing industry mistake is made- namely mistaking a game for a movie.

I'm not literally talking about movie-like cutscenes where agency is stolen from the gamer, much to many gamer's disgust. The recent Metro game made this mistake- having all the cool stuff under computer control. No, I'm talking about the very concept that a game can be really be a movie that the player experiences from within.

But a movie is made in a very specific way, and the best games are created in ways that do not overlap the same skill sets in metrics that matter. Where there is overlap (characters, sets, lighting and so on) - these particular skills do not guarantee a great film or game.

No, they are so-called 'craft' skills whose quality tends to be propertional to budget (game or film)- but rarely determine if the game or film is well received. But many games have crashed and burnt on the naive belief that Hollywood craft skills alone are good enough.

The smartest game designers never start from scratch. They look at what their game wants to do, and then examine the best pre-existing games most like the new project, and learn from them. Pre-existing game mechanisms are then ruthless copied and ideally given improvements. Evolution.

Stupid producers do not do this. Instead they go "this is a really cool idea" (redneck hero RPG in post apocalypse backwoods USA), and set to work getting great art assets crafted. The gameplay mechanisms and gameloop are literally bottom of the priority list, since the idiot producer thinks that anything that is not part of the Hollywood skillset is 'trivial'. So it is more important to have a dynamic weather system than satisfying gameplay.

However, games have one thing in common. If they are *not* fun to play, they are no good. All the production values in the world cannot change this. Oh, for sure you can have more basic gameplay if there is enough of an unfolding story- but even so the balance must be correct.

Big game producers across the world cannot comprehend the success of Dark Souls and Shadows, for instance, for a game so purely focused on gameplay offends everything big game producers have been taught. But games are not movies- and as gaming budgets for certain AAA titles explode, much to the inconvenience of producers of trash like Anthem, this truth remains.

Oh how Activision, Bethesda, Ubisoft and EA wish this were not true. Good game design is hard- even when you throw tons of money at a project. Good Hollywood values are easy- just a matter of money. Yet in truth there is no shortage of good game coders- just a growing lack of respect for the coders in big projects.

It's the development pipeline for AAA titles. New 'hard' code does *not* fit well in the pipeline. Art assets do. Voice assets do. Motion capture assets do. But good gaming code is the equivalent of good film scripts- very hard to coerce through simply budget mechanisms.

But as I said, this is mitigated when a project 'evolves'- clones already well-accepted gaming code, and perhaps seeks to upgrade the ideas a little. Like how the vast majority of Hollywood scripts really always rip-off earlier works- legally of course.

Of course many big producers will claim that 'good' coders are as unreliabe as 'good' writers when it comes to game play code (or movie scripts), but this is almost always down to said coders thinking they have to invent 'new' mechanisms- rather than being encouraged to clone. The best coders can look at any game and within hours create data structures and algorithms that will emulate the mechanisms- but they need to be told to do this. A project process that begins with analysis of similar types of game, and an active discussion of how they can be coded.

Without this guidance you get a situation as seen at Avalanche (Just Cause, Mad Max, Zero Generation, Rage 2). The Avalanche engine coders are the best- often contributing papers to SIGGraph. But as game mechanism coders, they are the worst- which is why iD took their Mad Max 2 game, when WB cancelled the project, and helped Avalanche convert it to Rage 2, by taking on all the game mechanism duties. Avalanche has some of the best low level coders, but they've never been taught the 'trick' of game mechanism success by cloning.

But it all comes down to that one thing. A game is either fun to play, or it a chore.

Acidizer

Banned
If "too repetitive" is a legit complaint then that must mean the gameplay itself is bland. Is this the case? Cause if the gameplay was decent I could blast zombies and ride around for days. I wouldn't need a structure or backstory personally, I could happily just get on with it.

Wonder what exactly needs tweaked to bring this game up to par, can anyone tell from having read numerous reviews? I have the feeling whether somebody enjoys this game may be a very personal thing.

If "too repetitive" is a legit complaint then that must mean the gameplay itself is bland. Is this the case? Cause if the gameplay was decent I could blast zombies and ride around for days. I wouldn't need a structure or backstory personally, I could happily just get on with it.

Wonder what exactly needs tweaked to bring this game up to par, can anyone tell from having read numerous reviews? I have the feeling whether somebody enjoys this game may be a very personal thing.

I haven’t read all the reviews but a few seem to center their “repetitive” complaints around the resource management required for the bike and for preparing for hordes

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Depends on the user, I would imagine. Critics hated Left Alive's gameplay - but it seems to be quite popular with people who have actually played it (myself included). I haven't played Days Gone, but I think the game is what you make of it.

HotPocket69

Banned
Anybody else feel like if the protag wasn't a white guy the game would've done better?

Well according to some the reviewers have been blatantly lying about parts of the story making it seem like they didn't even finish it

Little did they know that Deacon not only comes out of the closet as trans, but as a player you're given the choice to lop off his dick with one of your crafted weapons

Saber

Gold Member

If one points problems that affects the gameplay(wherever you like the game or not) and the other not, then I do find it strange. Ign said that the game is kinda empty, story boring and missions repetitive.

hannibal2469

Neo Member
I feel sorry for the devs- but this game shows a common problem when a long standing industry mistake is made- namely mistaking a game for a movie.

I'm not literally talking about movie-like cutscenes where agency is stolen from the gamer, much to many gamer's disgust. The recent Metro game made this mistake- having all the cool stuff under computer control. No, I'm talking about the very concept that a game can be really be a movie that the player experiences from within.

But a movie is made in a very specific way, and the best games are created in ways that do not overlap the same skill sets in metrics that matter. Where there is overlap (characters, sets, lighting and so on) - these particular skills do not guarantee a great film or game.

No, they are so-called 'craft' skills whose quality tends to be propertional to budget (game or film)- but rarely determine if the game or film is well received. But many games have crashed and burnt on the naive belief that Hollywood craft skills alone are good enough.

The smartest game designers never start from scratch. They look at what their game wants to do, and then examine the best pre-existing games most like the new project, and learn from them. Pre-existing game mechanisms are then ruthless copied and ideally given improvements. Evolution.

Stupid producers do not do this. Instead they go "this is a really cool idea" (redneck hero RPG in post apocalypse backwoods USA), and set to work getting great art assets crafted. The gameplay mechanisms and gameloop are literally bottom of the priority list, since the idiot producer thinks that anything that is not part of the Hollywood skillset is 'trivial'. So it is more important to have a dynamic weather system than satisfying gameplay.

However, games have one thing in common. If they are *not* fun to play, they are no good. All the production values in the world cannot change this. Oh, for sure you can have more basic gameplay if there is enough of an unfolding story- but even so the balance must be correct.

Big game producers across the world cannot comprehend the success of Dark Souls and Shadows, for instance, for a game so purely focused on gameplay offends everything big game producers have been taught. But games are not movies- and as gaming budgets for certain AAA titles explode, much to the inconvenience of producers of trash like Anthem, this truth remains.

Oh how Activision, Bethesda, Ubisoft and EA wish this were not true. Good game design is hard- even when you throw tons of money at a project. Good Hollywood values are easy- just a matter of money. Yet in truth there is no shortage of good game coders- just a growing lack of respect for the coders in big projects.

It's the development pipeline for AAA titles. New 'hard' code does *not* fit well in the pipeline. Art assets do. Voice assets do. Motion capture assets do. But good gaming code is the equivalent of good film scripts- very hard to coerce through simply budget mechanisms.

But as I said, this is mitigated when a project 'evolves'- clones already well-accepted gaming code, and perhaps seeks to upgrade the ideas a little. Like how the vast majority of Hollywood scripts really always rip-off earlier works- legally of course.

Of course many big producers will claim that 'good' coders are as unreliabe as 'good' writers when it comes to game play code (or movie scripts), but this is almost always down to said coders thinking they have to invent 'new' mechanisms- rather than being encouraged to clone. The best coders can look at any game and within hours create data structures and algorithms that will emulate the mechanisms- but they need to be told to do this. A project process that begins with analysis of similar types of game, and an active discussion of how they can be coded.

Without this guidance you get a situation as seen at Avalanche (Just Cause, Mad Max, Zero Generation, Rage 2). The Avalanche engine coders are the best- often contributing papers to SIGGraph. But as game mechanism coders, they are the worst- which is why iD took their Mad Max 2 game, when WB cancelled the project, and helped Avalanche convert it to Rage 2, by taking on all the game mechanism duties. Avalanche has some of the best low level coders, but they've never been taught the 'trick' of game mechanism success by cloning.

But it all comes down to that one thing. A game is either fun to play, or it a chore.
Thank you very much for writing this. As Miyazaki says - "Gameplay is the soul of a game"

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Well according to some the reviewers have been blatantly lying about parts of the story making it seem like they didn't even finish it

Little did they know that Deacon not only comes out of the closet as trans, but as a player you're given the choice to lop off his dick with one of your crafted weapons
Got to burn it too. Nobody wants zombie dick.

Last edited:

Ogbert

Couldn’t agree more.

And that’s why Nintendo are the best in the business. They make video games that *feel* fun to play.

HotPocket69

Banned
Well, RDR2 has a white protagonist ands critics loved it.

Yeah but the fan backlash due to the controls and repetitive mission structure was pretty damn rampant. And that game has some major fucking repetition. 10 outta 10 though.

Wouldn't be surprised if DG has a bit of an opposite effect where the "professionals" are cold on it while the actual playerbase really dig it.

brap

Banned
Kotaku are such sanctimonious pricks. They lecture everyone on how maltreated game developers are and then come out with a dickhead quote like that.

Cunts. Can’t wait for them to go under.
How much you wanna bet they praise TLOU2 and it's cliche zombie shit.

Well, RDR2 has a white protagonist ands critics loved it.
True true. Sometimes I feel like critics won't say anything bad about rockstar, disney, and nintendo though.

Top Bottom