• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone |Review Thread|

Ogbert

Yeah but the fan backlash due to the controls and repetitive mission structure was pretty damn rampant. And that game has some major fucking repetition. 10 outta 10 though.

Wouldn't be surprised if DG has a bit of an opposite effect where the "professionals" are cold on it while the actual playerbase really dig it.

You’re probably right.

I certainly know I will enjoy DG more than Red Dead. RDR2 is honestly (imo) the most overrated game I’ve ever played. How not a single reviewer could point out that it wasn’t actually any fun to play is beyond me.

Yeah but the fan backlash due to the controls and repetitive mission structure was pretty damn rampant. And that game has some major fucking repetition. 10 outta 10 though.

Wouldn't be surprised if DG has a bit of an opposite effect where the "professionals" are cold on it while the actual playerbase really dig it.
None of the reviews i've watched/read mentioned anything negative about controls which is odd. Maybe they'll give rockstar praising reviews no matter what.

If DG is immersive, even if it's repetitive i'll enjoy it.

scydrex

What a great game it was

Many many MANY people decide after reading reviews. They just refuse to pay $60 unless the game is 80 or more.

Exactly what i thought... i refuse to pay $60 for a game with score less than 85. I was waiting for the review to preorder the game. Now i will wait to get it cheaper.

Last edited:

Phobia

Anybody else feel like this game snuck up on them? Usually Sony is pretty good at advertising the hell out of this game but I work in an office setting and almost always have Youtube playing something gaming related on my second screen, but I never saw any ads for this game until today.

IGN

on-yer-bike.large.jpg

tenor.gif

prag16

Banned
About what I expected with all they've previously shown: Solid but generic. I'll look for it in the bargain bin maybe next year.

Aren117

So.... same Metacritic score as Mass Effect Andromeda :pie_thinking:

This will probably be cheap AF at the end of the year sales :pie_thinking: if not sooner.

DilWSTS

"Days Gone gets a 5/10 and 6.5/10 from Gamespot and IGN respectively"

We're nitpicking this game, isn't anyone going to say its just not a great game? I'm not saying the game doesn't have value, and I could see SONY sitting on this franchise for years down the road, but these arguments are weak. Days Gone will be talked about A LOT and gobble up a lot of money from gamers, we've seen games that aren't AAA sell, I think Days Gone just wants to get talked about.

Thats exactly what i said in my spoiler tag in the main thread, i got the game 2 days ago due to Amazon. Its very decidedly average. Nothing stands out, the motorbike handles badly. Melee combat is good, so far guns dont play well

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
It was my revenge for the serious stupidity that he committed sony for not showing a masterpiece like Gravity rush 2 and showing a garbage like Days Gone in E3.

Fuck you Jim Ryan.

Fbh

If one points problems that affects the gameplay(wherever you like the game or not) and the other not, then I do find it strange. Ign said that the game is kinda empty, story boring and missions repetitive.

Well Reviews are ultimately just opinions.
A story that's boring to you might be enjoyable for me, a game might grow repetitive to me after 5 hours while to you it might only become an issue after 20, etc.

That's why sites like Metacritic might have their uses, but ultimately you should find a handful of reviewers you trust and whose opinions and tastes you know and pretty much stick to their reviews

DanielsM

Banned
And yet I don't typically like Nintendo games. Funny how different people can like different things.
Yeah, not crapping on Nintendo but I stopped buying Nintendo hardware when I bought the GameCube. Set it up next to my Xbox and than I was like WTH when I turned it on. Ended up buying 3 games for it. I do miss the Zelda series but no going back for me there. I can't stand Mario, never really could - early Mario Karts were fun and Mario N64 was cool.... but I just don't get it.

Glad I'm not stuck with Nintendo games, I would have quit gaming a long time ago. Different strokes for different folks.

Ogbert

And yet I don't typically like Nintendo games. Funny how different people can like different things.

100%. Of course tastes differ.

My point was more that they are an antidote to big budget games that place gameplay at the bottom of the list. For them, it’s first, second and third.

zenspider

I feel like you could buy this game at Walmart, go home, and enjoy yourself. Stay away from the cool kids on social media and their game journalist gigs.

Fair enough. Or, you can spend your money on another game that really connects with you.

I understand that good enough is good enough for the normies, but this an enthusiast forum - "good enough" shouldn't warrant a defence force.

Controls were outright terrible IMO

Saber

Gold Member
Well Reviews are ultimately just opinions.
A story that's boring to you might be enjoyable for me, a game might grow repetitive to me after 5 hours while to you it might only become an issue after 20, etc.

Thats the point Im touching.

Story is one thing. One might find good while others not, totally normal.

Repetitive missions and empty world? Thats different.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
It scored much lower than I was expecting, I've had my eye on it since the first announcement and it's a shame it's not quite the hit I was hoping for. I've put in a request for a rental so hopefully I can try it for myself soon.

Raven117

Fair enough. Or, you can spend your money on another game that really connects with you.

I understand that good enough is good enough for the normies, but this an enthusiast forum - "good enough" shouldn't warrant a defence force.
Im hoping for awesomely bad to be honest. The proverbial "b-tier" movie/game. Motorcycles, zombies, campy/cringe dialog, all can make a just spectacularly entertaining romp. I don't know if this game delivers that, but I hope it does.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Holy shit! Dat photo mode.
You can adjust vibrancy in addition to saturation, RGB Grain, gamma Depth Colour Grading, Bloom intensity, size and Bloom RGB adjusting

120v

seems the sony first party pedigree will ultimately hurt the game. in a vacuum it'd be another AAA open world game that's pretty decent but here it had to come out of the gate all guns blazing

the downside of a (nearly) flawless track record, you need to continually make the case $60 Day 1 will be worth it

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Nope. Most of the best selling/rated games have white people in em (as protagonists) or short Italians.

Welcome to 2019!

Side storylines pack a bit of emotional punch and shift the viewpoint a bit further from "whitest dude in Oregon."

Fake

Hey TGO TGO , video options. Can you turn off 'Motion Blur'? What about color calibrate? You already download the day one patch or only tomorrow?

Phobia

IGlngKJ.jpg

8p6gO32.jpg

I'm sorry but does anyone else find this absolutely hilarious?

Ninja edit - added better look.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Hey TGO TGO , video options. Can you turn off 'Motion Blur'? What about color calibrate? You already download the day one patch or only tomorrow?

DF said motion blur is actually barely in the game, there is no option as far as I can tell from DF. Not sure about color.

Fake

DF said motion blur is actually barely in the game, there is no option as far as I can tell from DF. Not sure about color.
John spoke about that indeed, but don't make any mention if is the graphics option have this choise. And he played without day one patch.

Top Bottom