• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DAYTONA USA |OT| This is your crew chief. You're in a rolling start...

IronLich

The Heat Is BACK!

I'm loving how a game with such complex lyrics has a Karaoke Mode. This port is a thumbs up for anyone on the fence hoping SEGA wouldn't fuck it up. Because they certainly did not.

SkylineRKR

Yeah this is a perfect port, likely even better than Climax as I think an intro was being removed from that game.

Slaylock said:
Are gas/brake on the face buttons or the triggers?

Is it worth buying without the nostalgia factor?

Triggers. Face buttons are manual gears. D-pad are the VR views.

Gameplay is really good on DS3 imho.

Cheats confirmed

My first

Extra time:
Approach the slot machine that crosses the beginner track. Press Start to stop each wheel. If "777" appears on the slot machine, extra time will be added to the race clock. Note: This cannot be done on multi-player machines.

Quick start:
Hold Start at the transmission selection screen. The message "Real Racers Only" will appear. Keep Start held and allow the selection timer to expire and continue with a manual transmission. Once at the beginner track, keep Start held through one lap. If done correctly, your car will reach 210 mph before getting to the slot machine and be ahead of the rest of the pack.

No CPU cars:
Hold Start at the transmission select screen. The message "Real Racers Only" will appear. Have all players hold Start while selecting a transmission. If done correctly, there will be no CPU cars during game play.

Reversed tracks listing:
Race a track in reverse. If you qualify for the high score list, the letter "R" will appear next to your name.

Alternate view:
Hold Start and press View 2 + View 3 + View 4.

Time attack mode:
Hold Start and press Accelerate at the transmission selection screen. Only player-controlled cars will appear in this mode. If you qualify for the high score list, the letters "T.A." will appear next to your name.

No handicap mode:
Note: This can only be done on multi-player machines. Press View 1 + View 2 + View 3 + View 4 at the track selection screen. A small white dot will appear in the top left corner of the screen to confirm correct code entry. This prevents cars not in first place to have a higher top speed to allow them to catch up. This is only enabled In multi-player races when more than half of the players use the code.

Alternate background music:
Press the background buttons as the game starts.

Secret music:
Play well enough to qualify for the high score list. Enter one of the following initials to hear parts of various songs from different Sega games:
SEX A.B BNB DST E.R EXN GDA G.F GLC GPR DYN
H.O KOS LGA O.R ORS P.D P.P QTT R.M S.C SDI
S.F S.H SHO SKH SMG T.B TET TOR V.F VFT VMO
V.R .KK DEK YAN M.M KOU HSB TAK KAZ ASA YOJ
YUI NAK MIT OKA TRS H.S OSI JIM IGA ANI V.C
K.J MAS KEN AKI ISO AO. KAG YAM KAO SAO NAG
VME A.Y J.B S.B PAI K.M W.H J.M LAU V.R V.F

Hint: Special ending sequence:
Finish in first, second, or third place on every track. Note: If on a multi-player machine, the sequence only plays if one player was racing.

Hint: Special billboard:
Select the intermediate track and intentionally drive into the raised path located just before pit road. A "You Just Lost Your Sponsors" billboard will appear.

Hint: Big birds:
Stop on the last corner of the expert track. The birds that approach your car will be larger.

Hint: Statue tricks:
Select the expert track, then drive in reverse mode. Jeffrey's statue will stand on its hands on the second lap. Come to a complete stop near the statue and press Start repeatedly to make the statue spin.

First Reviews

Yahoo Games 6/5 "DAAAAYTOOOONAAAAA"
IGN 10/10 "Best RTS in years"
EuroGamer 8/10 "linear design"

BigNastyCurve said:
So this is all a bunch of nostalgia in this thread? Cause surely the gameplay has been eclipsed since its glory days in the arcade, right? Honest question.

You know what? In some ways I don't think it has been eclipsed, not for what Daytona USA is. A very fast, very enjoyable, great handling arcade games which screams along with 40 cars, amazing drifting, brilliant music and that classic SEGA feel. It's pure VIDEO GAME.

Sure, games like Burnout Paradise are much more sophisticated than this, but its a totally different game.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
The game desperately needs some anisotropic filtering. The blurriness on the track is really distracting.

Still so much fun though.

Vorg

Banned
KennyLinder said:
You know what? In some ways I don't think it has been eclipsed, not for what Daytona USA is. A very fast, very enjoyable, great handling arcade games which screams along with 40 cars, amazing drifting, brilliant music and that classic SEGA feel. It's pure VIDEO GAME.

Sure, games like Burnout Paradise are much more sophisticated than this, but its a totally different game.

I wouldn't say eclipsed but it has surely been matched by other arcade racers in terms of pure fun and amazing tracks. Outrun 2006 and Hydro Thunder Hurricane come to mind as the most recent examples. You guys should try those. Daytona is still lots of fun today, though.

acidspunk said:
I wouldn't say eclipsed but it has surely been matched by other arcade racers in terms of pure fun and amazing tracks. Outrun 2006 and Hydro Thunder Hurricane come to mind as the most recent examples. You guys should try those. Daytona is still lots of fun today, though.

Outrun 2 is amazing and it's the evolution from SCUD Race and Daytona USA 2. The gear-drift mechanic was tuned and smoothed with each version and Outrun 2 is the easiest of them all. Outrun 2 is absolutely beautiful too. I remember when a friend and I called a sickie at work when it arrived at the Troc arcade in London and we drove 180 miles just to play it. Amazing times :)

BigNastyCurve said:
So this is all a bunch of nostalgia in this thread? Cause surely the gameplay has been eclipsed since its glory days in the arcade, right? Honest question.

Have you been to the arcade lately? The latest SEGA racer the arcades have where I live is fucking Grid (seriously!), and it handles like an elephant on an ice rink. The reason people are so hyped about this is due to the handling (and the graphics for 93/94) being so fucking awesome!

edit-

Ohyou.jpg

SkylineRKR

Considering this is a 3d racing game from 1993, this is still very intense and very playable. The track layouts are amazing still. Even the oval with its unexpectedly nasty Sonic turn. 1993... thats fucking Lotus RECS, Jag XJ220 and other terribly aged racers.

Outrun 2 still looks amazing. Outrun Online Arcade is one of the best looking games of this gen imo. Ofcourse it gets murdered if you go about details etc but blue sky, vibrant colors, lively decors, blazing 60fps (with a small few dips, sadly) are just very pleasing for the eyes. Whats with all that lifeless grainy shit from nowadays?

Trojan X

Banned
KennyLinder said:
Outrun 2 is amazing and it's the evolution from SCUD Race and Daytona USA 2. The gear-drift mechanic was tuned and smoothed with each version and Outrun 2 is the easiest of them all. Outrun 2 is absolutely beautiful too. I remember when a friend and I called a sickie at work when it arrived at the Troc arcade in London and we drove 180 miles just to play it. Amazing times :)

Been playing Scud Race & Daytona 2 a lot and as much as I LOVE Outrun 2, Scud Race and Daytona 2 are DEFINITELY superior games by miles. Daytona 2 & Scud Race is a more skilled game and bring you closer to the edge of your seat than Outrun 2. Outrun 2 is an awesome game (when I reviewed the Xbox version ages ago, I believe I gave it an A- score) and it looks beautiful, but when it comes to racing it doesn't hold the craddle to Daytona 2. Outrun 2 is a drifting CPU assisted visual tour-de-force while Daytona 2 & Scud Race is a hardcore adrenaline rushing race with a great deal of skills and depth to drifting and positioning. Heck you can even perform Inertia Drifting in Scud Race too! Seriously, there is NO contest. None.

Completely agree with the Outrun 2 love in this thread. Closest we've had to a Daytona/Sega rally/Scud race since the 90s. A fucking beautiful game, the very definition of a Sega gem imo.

Trojan X said:
Been playing Scud Race & Daytona 2 a lot and as much as I LOVE Outrun 2, Scud Race and Daytona 2 are DEFINITELY superior games by miles. Daytona 2 & Scud Race is a more skilled game and bring you closer to the edge of your seat than Outrun 2. Outrun 2 is an awesome game (when I reviewed the Xbox version ages ago, I believe I gave it an A- score) and it looks beautiful, but when it comes to racing it doesn't hold the craddle to Daytona 2. Outrun 2 is a drifting CPU assisted visual tour-de-force while Daytona 2 & Scud Race is a hardcore adrenaline rushing race with a great deal of skills and depth to drifting and positioning. Heck you can even perform Inertia Drifting in Scud Race too! Seriously, there is NO contest. None.

Yeah I agree. I'd say Outrun 2 was a driving game rather than a racer. Didn't Yu Suzuki himself say it was designed to be a driving game where the player goes on a beautiful journey or something, rather than literally racing other cars.

Bucket-o-roadkill said:
Have you been to the arcade lately? The latest SEGA racer the arcades have where I live is fucking Grid (seriously!), and it handles like an elephant on an ice rink. The reason people are so hyped about this is due to the handling (and the graphics for 93/94) being so fucking awesome!

edit-

Ohyou.jpg

Have EG reviewed it?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Bwahaha. Absolutely dominated that full lobby for 4 races straight. Forwards and backwards on advanced and expert. Eat my perfect shift technique, plebeians. :D

edit: where is isamu? :(

Trojan X

Banned
Looks like the KING of racing is back! It's not about hundreds of cars, lots of tracks or painting, it's about PURE AND UTTER GAMEPLAY.

Why wouldn't you want the triggers to be accelerate and brake?

You can customise the gear setup, but there is a very good reason that each face button represents a gear.

Online-play is pretty solid as well. Not exactly spectacular but there's room enough for close races, trading paint, and all that other good stuff.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
8 player online daytona is truly what my life has been missing.

edit: people are already getting all the trophies? I haven't gotten a single one! I've just been playing multi. :p

bumpkin

Yep, I'm officially double dipping; just downloaded it on PS3 and still intend to get it on 360 tomorrow. I don't feel bad though. It's my way of giving Sega a high-five for their decision to release this. So good.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Any opinions on PS3 driving wheels? How is the Logitech Driving Force GT? The game doesn't mention anything about the Logitech G27, but how good of a wheel is that? Trying to decide if I should get a wheel or not for PS3 & PC use.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Kyouji said:
Any opinions on PS3 driving wheels? How is the Logitech Driving Force GT? The game doesn't mention anything about the Logitech G27, but how good of a wheel is that? Trying to decide if I should get a wheel or not for PS3 & PC use.
I would also, for the 4th time (>_>), like to ask for wheel recommendations for the 360. Never bought one before.

Trojan X

Banned
Zophar said:
Anyone know if it's possible to unlock other cars/racing horse like you could in the Saturn version?

The Horse unlock should be in there but then again it was something special for the Sega Saturn version.

TRY these music codes out to see if they work any time you are free to do so. If AM2 was solid with the development on this game, these codes should apply for this version of Daytona as they work for the original Arcade and the SEGA Saturn version:

Hidden Music
If you play well enough to make the high score table. You can enter special initials at the Name Entry Screen to hear a music sample of some of SEGA's classic games. Please enter the following initials:

Music from After Burner. Enter "A.B."
Music from Enduro Racer. Enter "E.R."
Music from F1 Exhaust Note. Enter "EXN."
Music from Fantasy Zone. Enter "F.Z."
Music from G-Loc: Air Battle. Enter "GLC."
Music from Galaxy Force. Enter "G.F."
Music from GP Rider. Enter "GPR."
Music from Hang-On. Enter ''H.O.''
Music from OutRun. Enter "O.R."
Music from OutRunners. Enter "ORS."
Music from Power Drift. Enter "P.D."
Music from Quartet. Enter "QTT."
Music from Rad Mobile. Enter "R.M."
Music from SDI: Strategic Defense Initiative. Enter "SDI."
Music from Space Harrier. Enter "S.H."
Music from Stadium Cross. Enter "S.C."
Music from Strike Fighter. Enter "S.F."
Music from Super Hang-On. Enter "SHO."
Music from Super Monaco GP. Enter "SMG."
Music from Sword of Vermillion. Enter "VMO."
Music from Thunder Blade. Enter "T.B."
Music from Turbo OutRun. Enter "TOR."
Music from Virtua Fighter. Enter "V.F."
Music from Virtua Racing. Enter ''V.R.''

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Trojan X said:
TRY these music codes out to see if they work any time you are free to do so. If AM2 was solid with the development on this game, these codes should apply for this version of Daytona as they work for the original Arcade and the SEGA Saturn version:
yup! (well the 3 i did so far)

Shaneus

m0dus did the theme? Nice. I only need to work out whether/if I should get the 360 version for the friend support and speed wheel, or PSN+ for the bonuses, no friends and delay until November. ARGH.

Is there a way to get that theme *without* buying it?

Trojan X

Banned
Shaneus said:
m0dus did the theme? Nice. I only need to work out whether/if I should get the 360 version for the friend support and speed wheel, or PSN+ for the bonuses, no friends and delay until November. ARGH.

Is there a way to get that theme *without* buying it?

Don't bother with the theme. Using the Wheel and Friends support - providing your friends will definitely jump on the game - is more important.

Shaneus

Trojan X said:
Don't bother with the theme. Using the Wheel and Friends support - providing your friends will definitely jump on the game - is more important.
It is the Speed Wheel (so the free-air one that came out the same time as FM4) but friends are probably the most important for this game. I'll bide my time with that to see what the wheel support is like for the PSN one.

Trojan X

Banned
Shaneus said:
It is the Speed Wheel (so the free-air one that came out the same time as FM4) but friends are probably the most important for this game. I'll bide my time with that to see what the wheel support is like for the PSN one.

What do you mean "what wheel support is like"? You mean how it handles or what wheels are compatible on the PSN version?

Shaneus

Trojan X said:
What do you mean "what wheel support is like"? You mean how it handles or what wheels are compatible on the PSN version?
What wheels are compatible, what the FF effect is like with the DFGT, more specifically.

Top Bottom