• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Is Combined Operations an expansion pack or the ArmA II + Operation Arrowhead in one bundle? Can you run DayZ with just OA or you have to buy both? I already have OA.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Is Combined Operations an expansion pack or the ArmA II + Operation Arrowhead in one bundle? Can you run DayZ with just OA or you have to buy both? I already have OA.

need both arma 2 and oa it turns the game into combined operations and thats what is required for the mod

qazqaNii

God damn, played for 15 minutes and died because I had no idea what to do etc. Now I can't even get into a game gets stuck.. :(

scaffa

Fantastic mod, it's alpha but there is not much needed to enjoy something like this. Easy to understand but very challenging.

Just played my first game, never touched Arma before so I had to get used to the controls a bit. Picking up stuff, aiming and using items feels a bit clunky in the beginning but think I will get used to it.

It was getting dark and teamed up with 2 other players. While walking on the railroad we spotted a corpse surrounded by a few zombies. I was low on ammo but the other one had enough. So our plan was to kill them and loot any valuable stuff that was left. It seemed like a smart idea but I soon realised that a dead corpse could also be used as a trap. A flare was lit up and I got shot in the legs (or so I thought). Felt to the ground, used bandages and morphine. No idea what I had to do. Crawled away and was able to walk a bit after a few seconds. Tried to run away on the hill and sorta layed down on the ground waiting for my bleeding to stop since my vision was all blurry. I think the killers found me and shot me in the head..

Nice expierence, I certainly need to hook up my mic now. And I really do want to play with fellow gaffers to make a nice group. So if anyone is playing tonight, im game.

Orgun

I've installed the mod but it doesn't appear to be working. On the main screen I get an error saying that "soldier_crew-pmc.scope" is missing.
In the expansions menu I can see DayZ but the box is greyes out.
On the server screen all the servers are marked with a red X

Any ideas?

docbon

Had quite the night last night.

I was doing my usual school looting in Elektrozavodsk when I came upon a guy with nothing but a flashlight. He seemed cool so I led him to a nearby military base to get him armed, and inadvertently ambushed a bandit looting a tower in the process. Since I don't play that getting murdered shit, I blasted the bandit in the face without a second thought, and had the guy grab his AKM. The guy could have turned on me at this point, but he didn't. We turned back, and grabbed some medical supplies from the hospital since we were low on blood. Afterwards, we headed towards a second base at the northeastern edge of the city since I heard shooting from there earlier.

We walked into the aftermath of a firefight. Dead players littered the ground, roof, and interior of the building. I poured a little bit of my soda can (but not too much) in honor of them, then promptly looted their ammo and beans.

At this point, a group of two entered Elektro looking for friendly players. I figured I would light a flare for them, so we waddled our way past some zeds, and entered the school again. This time we found another guy equally as armed as I, roaming through the halls. Turns out tonight would be an exercise in team building, since he was also a friendly guy. I got the flare lit, but the group of two never came. We ended up shooting our way past scores of zeds to meet them on the docks. In the span of thirty minutes, my group of one became a group of five.

Unfortunately, a group of five can be much louder than a group of one. Zeds moved in on our position at light speed. Three runners managed to pounce on me at the same time, knocked me to the ground, and started eating me alive. I thought I was fucked, but a hail of gunfire from the party put them down just in time. I was in super bad shape though. Shaking, blurry vision, passing out, etc.

We decided to move westward toward Chernogorsk to find more bloodpacks and medical supplies. Just after our journey began, one of the two guys we picked up disappeared during a battle with the zed. I lit a flare so he could find us, but he never appeared. We assumed he was dead, and continued on.

Further along the way, we looted some food from Prigorodki, and somehow picked up an extra man (henceforth known as mystery man) during a roll call. He disappeared southward minutes later.

Another guy called out for friendlies on the side channel, so we met him at the edge of the forest, a little northwest of Prigorodki. We got word that Cherno was a bandit infested shithole at the time, so we opted for an adventure through the forest instead.

I ate the last of my food, which was just enough to stop the passing out, then our team of six prowled through the black forest, northward into Mogilevka. Met some more zed resistance there, but we didn't take damage since were well positioned inside a stable. The loot there was shit, so we moved westward towards an old castle, then northward towards Stary Sobor.

We met another group of two inside a hangar, just to the east of the town. The mystery man we found earlier showed up around this time as well. The group told us they had a vehicle in the center of town, but one of the tires were bad. As we walked to the vehicle, mystery man and another guy split off and went northward. I saw a flare at the top of a hill near the town, so I figured they were alright.

Then I heard the sound of a helicopter.

The group flying it started chatting over the side channel, saying they had two wounded, and were in need of transfusion. We couldn't help them, so they continued to zoom off towards the north, shining their spotlight towards the hill where our two party members were.

While the spotlight was shining on them, they were ambushed and killed by several bandits wielding silenced weapons. The helicopter then looped around, and flew off into the darkness. We started to lose our cool, and fled west from Stary, and the vehicle. Our running attracted the attention of more zed, but this time we were out in the open. We fired bullets in all directions as they surrounded us. We fought them off, but a stray slug hit one of the guys we met in Stary. He bled to death on the spot.

The night ended with us sitting around a campfire with only half of the group. Half dead, and utterly defeated.

-------------------------------

Not a pulitzer prize winning account of events, just a normal day in DayZ.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Steam versions of the games. Did the copying thing. When I connect to a server, I get autokicked immediately. Is that a key signing issue? Maybe my ArmA files are corrupted? GNAAA

So if the developers of Arma were smart they'd hire whoever made this mod and have them make a full game, ala Half-Life to Counter Strike.

Haunted

Had quite the night last night.

I was doing my usual school looting in Elektrozavodsk when I came upon a guy with nothing but a flashlight. He seemed cool so I led him to a nearby military base to get him armed, and inadvertently ambushed a bandit looting a tower in the process. Since I don't play that getting murdered shit, I blasted the bandit in the face without a second thought, and had the guy grab his AKM. The guy could have turned on me at this point, but he didn't. We turned back, and grabbed some medical supplies from the hospital since we were low on blood. Afterwards, we headed towards a second base at the northeastern edge of the city since I heard shooting from there earlier.

We walked into the aftermath of a firefight. Dead players littered the ground, roof, and interior of the building. I poured a little bit of my soda can (but not too much) in honor of them, then promptly looted their ammo and beans.

At this point, a group of two entered Elektro looking for friendly players. I figured I would light a flare for them, so we waddled our way past some zeds, and entered the school again. This time we found another guy equally as armed as I, roaming through the halls. Turns out tonight would be an exercise in team building, since he was also a friendly guy. I got the flare lit, but the group of two never came. We ended up shooting our way past scores of zeds to meet them on the docks. In the span of thirty minutes, my group of one became a group of five.

Unfortunately, a group of five can be much louder than a group of one. Zeds moved in on our position at light speed. Three runners managed to pounce on me at the same time, knocked me to the ground, and started eating me alive. I thought I was fucked, but a hail of gunfire from the party put them down just in time. I was in super bad shape though. Shaking, blurry vision, passing out, etc.

We decided to move westward toward Chernogorsk to find more bloodpacks and medical supplies. Just after our journey began, one of the two guys we picked up disappeared during a battle with the zed. I lit a flare so he could find us, but he never appeared. We assumed he was dead, and continued on.

Further along the way, we looted some food from Prigorodki, and somehow picked up an extra man (henceforth known as mystery man) during a roll call. He disappeared southward minutes later.

Another guy called out for friendlies on the side channel, so we met him at the edge of the forest, a little northwest of Prigorodki. We got word that Cherno was a bandit infested shithole at the time, so we opted for an adventure through the forest instead.

I ate the last of my food, which was just enough to stop the passing out, then our team of six prowled through the black forest, northward into Mogilevka. Met some more zed resistance there, but we didn't take damage since were well positioned inside a stable. The loot there was shit, so we moved westward towards an old castle, then northward towards Stary Sobor.

We met another group of two inside a hangar, just to the east of the town. The mystery man we found earlier showed up around this time as well. The group told us they had a vehicle in the center of town, but one of the tires were bad. As we walked to the vehicle, mystery man and another guy split off and went northward. I saw a flare at the top of a hill near the town, so I figured they were alright.

Then I heard the sound of a helicopter.

The group flying it started chatting over the side channel, saying they had two wounded, and were in need of transfusion. We couldn't help them, so they continued to zoom off towards the north, shining their spotlight towards the hill where our two party members were.

While the spotlight was shining on them, they were ambushed and killed by several bandits wielding silenced weapons. The helicopter then looped around, and flew off into the darkness. We started to lose our cool, and fled west from Stary, and the vehicle. Our running attracted the attention of more zed, but this time we were out in the open. We fired bullets in all directions as they surrounded us. We fought them off, but a stray slug hit one of the guys we met in Stary. He bled to death on the spot.

The night ended with us sitting around a campfire with only half of the group. Half dead, and utterly defeated.

-------------------------------

Not a pulitzer prize winning account of events, just a normal day in DayZ.
Oh man, well done.

This mod just seems to create these amazing narratives out of nowhere. That is some truly emergent gameplay.

Arma 2 sales are actually rising in the Steam charts. This is amazing.
You take care of the mod community, and the mod community takes care of you. Seems like it's well deserved.

Is that the max speed of your connection?
If not: Steam?
If Steam: Try switching Steam download servers.

Nah, it's neither. My connection is fine, I'm downloading it from greenmangaming's capsule and the speed is slow as fuck.
I should probably be studying anyway rather than trying this out.

Sliver

Docbon, I was there! I was with a group of six people that met up with others at Stary. There were about 8 all together, and I split off with two others to head to the airfield. We were entering the forest when we were lit up by the helicopter, and shot at. One of the guys dropped all his shit, said he was going to run off and give their position, and died. Me and the other guy took his compass, and hauled north and were consequently shot down.

docbon

Docbon, I was there! I was with a group of six people that met up with others at Stary. There were about 8 all together, and I split off with two others to head to the airfield. We were entering the forest when we were lit up by the helicopter, and shot at. One of the guys dropped all his shit, said he was going to run off and give their position, and died. Me and the other guy took his compass, and hauled north and were consequently shot down.

haha holy fuck you are the mystery man. must have miscounted. I thought only two of you guys went northward.

So now my life is going to be even harder. I had to defend myself against two survivors that tried to kill me and now I'm a bandit. I may stay in character and hunt someone down for their gear tonight.

feel

long story

long story

long story

long story
dD2o98vjYaXy2.gif

Loving these.

Sliver

haha holy fuck you are the mystery man. must have miscounted. I thought only two of you guys went northward.

Nah, it was three of us. We felt it was too risky to try to fix up the car in the town, that was only a four seater. I had friends at the airfield with supplies, which was my ultimate destination. It was a lot of fun trying and failing to get there, though.

wwm0nkey

Steam versions of the games. Did the copying thing. When I connect to a server, I get autokicked immediately. Is that a key signing issue? Maybe my ArmA files are corrupted? GNAAA

download that anti-cheat thing that it asks you too in the launch menu before going into Combined Operations.

docbon

I've installed the mod but it doesn't appear to be working. On the main screen I get an error saying that "soldier_crew-pmc.scope" is missing.
In the expansions menu I can see DayZ but the box is greyes out.
On the server screen all the servers are marked with a red X

Any ideas?

Dunno tbh. I had a similar issue because I had Arma II and OA as seperate installs, rather than combined operations. I had to copy and paste the data files from the ...\Arma II\AddOns\ folder to ...\OA\Expansion\Addons\ then update to the latest beta version before anything would work. I don't recall seeing the red Xs for the server though.

derFeef

Anyone want to make a new thread on this? I am sure a lot of people would like to know he is taking feedback and is probably going to be looking into Kickstarter.

Yes please, this is great. bohemia recognized the increased sales I guess.

Sliver

And here comes the eventual indie game out of a mod. Jesus christ.

edit: The only way I would buy it is if it was maybe ~$10, and just a DLC pack for Arma 3.

man watching a guy with like 10 runners chasing him and nothing you can do about it sucks well at least i got the food he left behind when they took him down
That situation seems inevitable to me. Ammo is always scarce and when it runs out a zombie is bound to give chase as you go looking for more. So you run and run, and pick up more zombies as you do, unless you run into the woods or something I guess, which I've heard is unwise. I intentionally ran past more of them because the more the merrier. I ended up losing my posse of 20 zombies by swimming into the ocean. You swim faster than them, but it still takes a really long time for them to lose sight of you.

I have very little idea of what I'm supposed to do right now. I have no ammo and I'll run out of water and fo...actually, I think I lost all my supplies when I went swimming. Think I only have my ammoless Makarov left. So you know...without supplies I'm screwed and looking for supplies will only Pac-Man me again.

docbon said:
rocket is getting feedback from the community over making this a standalone game:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1011
That situation seems inevitable to me.

Arucardo

Had a surreal moment where basically in the middle of nowhere in a forest me and another guy run in to eachother. I turned around and did a salute so he ran up to me looked around for a bit and saluted back at me and said "I need a blood injection fast" and fell over (fainted). I told him I don't have any blood packs. He said he just put one in my backpack and I looked in it and voila, there it was. I manged to give him a blood transfusion and he said he needs to reward me for saving his life, but right after that he disappeared and then my game locked up. Might have been a server crash.

If I happen to see the guy again (I remember his nick) I'll have to ask him if he made it. Such a bizarre thing, heh.

Orgun

Dunno tbh. I had a similar issue because I had Arma II and OA as seperate installs, rather than combined operations. I had to copy and paste the data files from the ...Arma IIAddOns folder to ...OAExpansionAddons then update to the latest beta version before anything would work. I don't recall seeing the red Xs for the server though.

Turns out the Gamersgate version of OA isn't the latest. Had to update it to 1.60

Starting my first game now

Slair

How do i actually type to people? i type green while everyone else types blue, got shot in the face cause noone could see what i said :S

Enco

Had a surreal moment where basically in the middle of nowhere in a forest me and another guy run in to eachother. I turned around and did a salute so he ran up to me looked around for a bit and saluted back at me and said "I need a blood injection fast" and fell over (fainted). I told him I don't have any blood packs. He said he just put one in my backpack and I looked in it and voila, there it was. I manged to give him a blood transfusion and he said he needs to reward me for saving his life, but right after that he disappeared and then my game locked up. Might have been a server crash.

If I happen to see the guy again (I remember his nick) I'll have to ask him if he made it. Such a bizarre thing, heh.
Couldn't he do it himself?

If not, that's pretty awesome!

Nelo Ice

Banned

It's getting incredibly hard not to buy this game now, that is so incredibly awesome.

edit:Reading other stories in this thread WOW, this game is going to be huge if/when they make it a full standalone game.

Top Bottom