• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

Bogeypop

There were several piles of loot in a row, and one end of that stretch of tents was blocked off by barbed wire and steel tank traps. I only looked in two piles of loot, but they had sone decent rifles on there (only one makarov pistol though, which i took)

It probably was a trap, but maybe setup way earlier. In any case. yeah, I didnt want to stay around long.

That was myself and a trio of other GAFers who were loot cycling a few hours earlier. Just as we had finished and were preparing a journey to who knows where we got sniped. (which tends to happen a lot as we're about to make a long trip)

Needless to say, you could see the piles as a sort of "trap" since if we were still there, and you weren't on the Mumble we'd shoot you.

Slair

How janky is the game play now compared to videos from 3+ months ago? Sometimes the zombies teleport or don't react in the YouTube videos I've been watching.

They also look incredibly fast.

Still janky and broke in different ways after every update. There's still no experience quite like it and worth the price tag, especially when you're getting arma 2 aswell as dayz.

Jerrod

How janky is the game play now compared to videos from 3+ months ago? Sometimes the zombies teleport or don't react in the YouTube videos I've been watching.

They also look incredibly fast.
Yesterday when I played sometimes zombies were not moving at all and they wouldn't chase me or if they did they would just randomly stop chasing or disappear completely. Might have been the server but it wasn't laggy at all. Also zombies would spawn like in the same spot as soon as I got near a town/building and they would all walk off in different directions but it made avoiding them pretty easy because they took a while to spread out. Also had 3 zombies spawn 5 feet in front of me when I was crawling and looked behind me for a second and looked back and saw them pop up.

zon

Does anyone know what's wrong when I suddenly have a "(2)" behind my name? I've lost all my stuff and spawned at the shore with starter equipment. :(

Does anyone know what's wrong when I suddenly have a "(2)" behind my name? I've lost all my stuff and spawned at the shore with starter equipment. :(

You timed out/lost connection and your original self didn't disconnect before you reconnected. It happens sometimes.

You need to completely disconnect from the server and wait about 5-10 minutes. You may or may not get your stuff back depending on what the central server has on it.

TommyT

Finally able to get more into this and enjoy it. Biggest help was watching streams of good geared people die then start over. I learned the actual range of a melee weapon which made things MUCH easier. That, and figuring out where to pick up necessary items (gun, food, water) then head inland made things much much better.

One thing I think is really cool and helpful is that zombies won't spawn unless a player is within 500 meters. So if you see some high value place from afar with no zombies it means you don't have to worry about someone being terribly close or waiting for you inside.

That, and actually meeting up with friends was far more enjoyable then running around the coast where everyone seems to be going and finding no loot and only tens of hundreds of zombies.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
"DayZ: Home to Dicks and Sociopaths."

I wonder if we'll see a new feature introduction soon. They "seem" to have gotten a lot of the server performance and related stuff done within the last couple of updates. So it would be nice to see some game changing gameplay features introduced because, at least for me, and probably many other veterans, surviving isnt all that hard anymore.

Being able to really change the world around us would be nice. Actually modify buildings or areas. Putting up mazes of barbed wire and sandbags isnt exactly reclaiming/rebuilding the society we lost.

BadTaste

Just got killed by 2 losers who relocated to my position after hearing me fire my weapon (Zombiessss). They new exactly where I was because I was looting my friends corpse as he died at the hands of them.

Anyway both losers spawned, one infront of me and one behind me. I killed the guy infront only to get shot in the back by the other.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I've switched over to mp5sd and m9sd for zombie killing so I don't reveal my position unless I'm blowing somebody's head off at 500+ meters with a DMR.

As long as I don't use up an entire magazine they seem to go back to full next time I login so ammo isn't really a problem.

Amish

Neo Member
is there any way to get away from zombies except from climbing up on roofs and killing them? have gotten away a few times against those slow ones. but damn, they had me running for a while.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
is there any way to get away from zombies except from climbing up on roofs and killing them? have gotten away a few times against those slow ones. but damn, they had me running for a while.

Run through buildings, especially barns works almost flawlessly, sometimes running around buildings and fences loses them too. Bushes have worked a few times for me even.

ZenVolta

As for BE patch. Make sure you only play on 94997 servers as this patch is not backwards compatible.
There'll probably be a mandatory arma2 patch tomorrow.

Wow they are going to update Arma2. New beta patch is out and from the sounds of it brings alot of performance tweaks.

Link to the thread on Dayz Forums

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I am going to spite them and destroy their tents and vehicles.

They should eventually let players conduct germ warfare by peeing in water bottles and shitting in cans of beans so you can sabotage peoples gear and when they eat it they get really sick and die of like dysentery.

Assassination mission was a great success. Killed the streamer. Couple of his buddies all dead. :) Guess I did not need nvgs.

All thanks to miknein and wizard they threw flares blinding the nvg guys and then wizard blew up their truck with the 50 cal lol.

DTKT

Assassination mission was a great success. Killed the streamer. Couple of his buddies all dead. :) Guess I did not need nvgs.

All thanks to miknein and wizard they threw flares blinding the nvg guys and then wizard blew up their truck with the 50 cal lol.

Steam sniping now?

That's a new low. :|

Bogeypop

Someone better have recorded it. I fell asleep halfway during the hunt.

goonergaz

One thing I think is really cool and helpful is that zombies won't spawn unless a player is within 500 meters. So if you see some high value place from afar with no zombies it means you don't have to worry about someone being terribly close or waiting for you inside.

Problem is there's 2 negatives:

1) snipers will know if players are in the area
2) what's the point of scouting an area - seeing it's clear only for zombies to spawn?

Personally I think the zombies should be active if in view - I should be able to plan a route into an area from a distance - ok have the odd 'surprise zombie spawn' to add tension - but I think it would be better to know where they are.

As for other players - stick to pot luck I say, in a real situation you'd be checking the area carefully as you go anyway rather than assuming every building is empty.

Woo-Fu

Banned
As for other players - stick to pot luck I say, in a real situation you'd be checking the area carefully as you go anyway rather than assuming every building is empty.

Crazy talk unless you're in a large group. If you plan on living you get in and out as quick as possible.

I'll scope a town from the treeline, plan my route, etc. If I see zombies then I'll hold back awhile and watch for survivors.

When it feels clear I take the shortest route to my destination, grab what I'm looking for and then get out ASAP.

Woo-Fu

Banned
??

So you just run into buildings without looking? Sort of defeats the object doesn't it?

What object are you talking about? Clearly not survival.

If I need an alice pack or a tent I go to the market and grab it then get out of there. If I've just started and I want a better gun than I can find in a barn I'll hit the fire station and then get out of there. If I need upper tier med stuff I hit the hospital and get out of there. Surgical strikes, in and out before anybody can react to whatever noise you may make.

This game isn't about killing zombies, they're just an environmental hazard you take into consideration while doing unto others before they can do unto you. Shooting any zombie you don't have to is just wasting ammo you might need to kill a bandit.

goonergaz

What object are you talking about? Clearly not survival.

If I need an alice pack or a tent I go to the market and grab it then get out of there. If I've just started and I want a better gun than I can find in a barn I'll hit the fire station and then get out of there. If I need upper tier med stuff I hit the hospital and get out of there. Surgical strikes, in and out before anybody can react to whatever noise you may make.

This game isn't about killing zombies, they're just an environmental hazard you take into consideration while doing unto others before they can do unto you. Shooting any zombie you don't have to is just wasting ammo you might need to kill a bandit.

I didn't say anything about killing zombies? I'm just saying that checking for zombies to see if players are in the area then using that knowledge to know you can run into buildings safely takes lots away from what this mod offers - incredible tension.

I want this game to reflect 'real life' as much as possible...I want to see all my hazards I should see (ie zombies in the area regardless of players) and then have that added tension of not knowing if a building is occupied or empty - by knowling prior to arriving you lose that surely?

I mean, it's like a less extreme version of logging out to help survive for longer. (IMHO)

meep!

Neo Member
Man this game is sooo good, and the more I play the more I love it. This game is going to be huge. This really showing you don't need big funds, just a great idea that people want, just like how Minecraft, Dota and Counter Strike came to be.

I really hope the game will be transfered to the Arma 3 engine either as a mod or standalone game once that is released because it will look so much better and be even more immersive on that engine. I'm sure Bohemia will adapting the Arma 3 engine for DayZ aswell, I mean most of their sales gotta be from DayZ players.

Btw how do tents work, how long do they last? Yesterday I found a tent full of cool weapons in the middle of the forests, I have no clue how long it had been there, but I stole some weapons and ran away before someone noticed me.

Orgun

I want Helicopters back in the game :( I miss them.

Would love for the gaf camp to have more than one, then we can have races around Chernarus.

ZenVolta

Ural and tractor reacquisition complete. You guys can thank me later.

6dd4bcd2add7.gif

You're doing gods work my friend

cametall

So zombies only spawn if players are in the area? That's kind of lame. I guess a limitation of the engine.

Do they despawn if no one is around?

So zombies only spawn if players are in the area? That's kind of lame. I guess a limitation of the engine.

Do they despawn if no one is around?

How is that lame exactly? If there's no one there, why the hell does it matter that there's a zombie there?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

DTKT

How is that lame exactly? If there's no one there, why the hell does it matter that there's a zombie there?

Mostly because it's a dead giveaway that someone is there. Mechanically, it makes ambush and hiding much much harder.

cametall

You are.

If I can see zombies in the distance I know there's a player there.

If zombies always exist in the world, at any time and place, then I don't know if there's a player there.

It doesn't make the game bad, it's just a lame part of the game that probably exists for a specific reason (ie the engine can't handle zombies existing at all times).

TommyT

Problem is there's 2 negatives:

1) snipers will know if players are in the area
2) what's the point of scouting an area - seeing it's clear only for zombies to spawn?

Personally I think the zombies should be active if in view - I should be able to plan a route into an area from a distance - ok have the odd 'surprise zombie spawn' to add tension - but I think it would be better to know where they are.

I don't really care what zombies should do, I'm just playing based off of what things currently do. As for as your negatives, I don't see either of those as a negative and actually quite fun. A sniper is doing exactly what I'm doing 500+ yards out with my binoculars - being sneaky and looking around for any signs of movement. To the second point, scouting an area I find really fun. I also find killing zombies fun. So given my supplies I might funnel a big horde through a door and kill them, or go around sneak chopping them up.

I have a rather large RP write up I'm going to do I think on the most heart racing part of my experience so far. Will post once I think it's pretty good.

You are.

If I can see zombies in the distance I know there's a player there.

If zombies always exist in the world, at any time and place, then I don't know if there's a player there.

It doesn't make the game bad, it's just a lame part of the game that probably exists for a specific reason (ie the engine can't handle zombies existing at all times).

A player could've been there five minutes before and not there anymore. But yes, they despawn when no one is close.

Aaaand by the time you see the zombies, sometimes it's just because they spawned because of YOU approaching the city. Not the case if you're using long range tools like binocs, I guess.

Bogeypop

mik tried to drive the Ural over the dam... it blew up...

I didn't know that he didn't know driving over the dam is a big no no. I was too late to warn him as he got close to it.

TommyT

A player could've been there five minutes before and not there anymore. But yes, they despawn when no one is close.

Aaaand by the time you see the zombies, sometimes it's just because they spawned because of YOU approaching the city. Not the case if you're using long range tools like binocs, I guess.

Is the amount of time for a despawn known? Also, if the zombies are towards the center of town (or rather closer to buildings) then you know they spawned recently. If you see them in the woods or rather spread out that means they've had some time to wander around.

ZenVolta

[quote name='Ander']
Just want to mention, once again.
Both client and servers need to run the BE executable to get updated.

An automated BEpatch will come in later (according to BIS representatives - but who knows if it'll work rightaway)

I will however say that vehicles work much better now with 1.7.2.3 and latest build (less desync, havent had any players teleporting out of cars).
Servers that patch will get prioritized helicopter love.

Mmmm Helicopter love. Sounds like things are going to get exciting lol

Top Bottom