• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Publishing shutting down?

I'll believe it when I see it. Those IP are more precious than any publishing rights.
This rumor has been around for awhile, mainly because ATT needs to bring down debt. ATT would not be selling the IP, but the DC Comics arm, which includes the publishing rights to comic books and novels.

Truth be told comics is a niche industry. And the money made there is not really a lot, if any. So whoever buys them wouldn't be able to make movies, games, tv shows, etc out of the properties. They would have the rights to continue publishing comics and stories based on the characters. Warner would still have the exclusive rights to adapt those stories to movies or TV shows.

That said I have no idea who this youtuber is so I don't give credence to his word, but this has been brought up before many times.

Vestal

Gold Member
I got back into purchasing comics again last year and I must say that some of the Artwork in the DC comics is absolutely glorious. Three Jokers was great, and so was Joker War mini series.. Batman has been pretty darn good and so has Flash.

DC Comics ain't going to stop printing to be honest.. But I wonder if Disney is going to swoop in and buy them.. That would be earth shattering.

Comics are the foundation that Marvel leveraged to build its MCU.. DC Should have tapped into their stories and not try to reinvent the wheel.

Last edited:

sol_bad

EVS isn't just "some hottake youtuber" he's a famous artist known for his work on DC's properties(Mostly Green Lantern) and is connected to many of the people that still work there.

He was right about DC's recent bloodbath of firings too.

He was a DC artist, primarily doing singles and minis. Now he is a hottaker Youtuber which DC drop kicked. When did he "predict" that DC would fire people? All he does if point his camera at his tablet and talk about other people's news articles.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
About the comics... last I heard, they’re paring down the physical daily/weekly comics... the physical stuff will be graphic novels (compilations of story arcs like Death of Superman/Crisis on Infinite Earths/DC Rebirth/Dark Nights Death Metal/etc), omnibuses, etc. Fewer actual weekly comics will be published and mainly things will go digital ... like via the DC Universe Infinite app.

sol_bad

Didn't dc make a comic with aoc in it where she beat up Republicans?

Who's aoc?

*EDIT*
Googled aoc and funnily enough it came up with a politician. Amezing.

I found these.

So no? DC didn't put aoc in a comic?

*EDIT 2*
Is this what you mean?

Looks like 18 stories about 18 real woman, a revival of something that was done in the 1940's.

Last edited:

Shouta

Well there's a few different things here, diversifying is a thing and comics should have done that a long time ago, instead of keeping the medium strictly about superheroes. Now, the medium has been in decline, yet superheroes have never been more popular, why is that? You mention things being on a decline, but I have been hearing about woke stuff making their way into the medium, as a way of legitimising whatever woke thing they want to do in the bigger mediums.

If the comic book industry is made up of die hards, don't you think that making everything "woke" had an effect? It's hardly surprising that an industry that depends on its diehard fans would suffer as a result. It's like the latest Terminator movie, it was complete woke garbage, and yet when that failed, everyone involved blamed it on the franchise.

I mean, even if Terminator isn't the strongest IP nowadays, the movie would have pulled much better numbers if the newest movie hadn't told the fanbase to fuck off because only female, androgynous characters and asexual Terminators are allowed.

And again, why is Manga doing so much better than comics? And it's not because the variety of content is super huge, the biggest sellers are still stories of people punching/slashing each other in creative ways. Maybe it's because the content is focused on telling interesting stories rather than pushing the narrative on which one is the latest superhero to have their race switched or their sexual orientation changed.

Superheroes being popular yet comics are dying probably has mostly to do with my last point in the previous post. It just doesn't compete with other formats for people's attention and it hasn't for a long time. Marvel and DC have tried a lot of stuff to bring in more eyes over the years but it hasn't done much at all. Trying new characters, bringing favorites back, going nuts with storylines, etc, it's just been falling year after year and long before they went "woke." The harder Social Justice angle in recent years is just another attempt to try and cash in on the vocal crowd but it hasn't really done much to the losing tide they've been facing. I mean it's certainly done a number for folks that are left and created some really angry people but it's only putting the nail in the coffin for the industry itself more than anything.

It's funny you mentioned Terminator because that's exactly a similar situation as to comics right now. T2 was peak and every movie afterwards was just getting worse and worse causing fans to steadily become disinterested in it. They tried something to appeal to the vocal crowd and it didn't do much at all for the film. Damage was done already by years of stupid shit. It wasn't what they've been doing that actually killed the franchise.

Manga's biggest sellers are shounen but that doesn't detract from the fact that the variety of content available for folks and it's selling well. Check out Amazon's Best Sellers list for manga and you'll find a bunch of those action series but you'll also find a horror manga, a spy thriller, a fantasy adventure, romcom, and even a volleyball manga making their top 50 for individual volumes. It helps that the stories are pretty well done and that's an area where Marvel and DC have failed at but it's not because of their Social Justice initiatives in recent years. It's that their writers have been shit a long time before any of this has been going on.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Superheroes being popular yet comics are dying probably has mostly to do with my last point in the previous post. It just doesn't compete with other formats for people's attention and it hasn't for a long time. Marvel and DC have tried a lot of stuff to bring in more eyes over the years but it hasn't done much at all. Trying new characters, bringing favorites back, going nuts with storylines, etc, it's just been falling year after year and long before they went "woke." The harder Social Justice angle in recent years is just another attempt to try and cash in on the vocal crowd but it hasn't really done much to the losing tide they've been facing. I mean it's certainly done a number for folks that are left and created some really angry people but it's only putting the nail in the coffin for the industry itself more than anything.

It's funny you mentioned Terminator because that's exactly a similar situation as to comics right now. T2 was peak and everyone movie afterwards was just getting worse and worse causing fans to steadily become disinterested in it. They tried something to appeal to the vocal crowd and it didn't do much at all for the film. Damage was done already by years of stupid shit. It wasn't what they've been doing that actually killed the franchise.

Manga's biggest sellers are shounen but that doesn't detract from the fact that the variety of content available for folks and it's selling well. Check out Amazon's Best Sellers list for manga and you'll find a bunch of those action series but you'll also find a horror manga, a spy thriller, a fantasy adventure, romcom, and even a volleyball manga making their top 50 for individual volumes. It helps that the stories are pretty well done and that's an area where Marvel and DC have failed at but it's not because of their Social Justice initiatives in recent years. It's that their writers have been shit a long time before any of this has been going on.
Maybe American based comics are dying because people have so many superhero movies coming out every year, that's enough.

And this list doesn't even include all the comic franchises that have been rebooted a million times (Batman, Spiderman, Superman)

Top Bottom