• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

wipeout364

So if you get both versions you can't log into both using the same account. I was hoping to get the game and pay one monthly fee and alternate between PC and PS3. Guess I will just get PC. Can anybody clarify this.

Nightz

wipeout364 said:
So if you get both versions you can't log into both using the same account. I was hoping to get the game and pay one monthly fee and alternate between PC and PS3. Guess I will just get PC. Can anybody clarify this.
Yup, the two platforms are completely separate.

Subxero

Nightz said:
Yup, the two platforms are completely separate.

I had hoped that if I had both versions I could switch back and forth using the same account.

When I loaded the PS3 beta the first time and didn't have to login with my SOE account I was quite bummed.

I'm going to stick to the PC version. I just picked it up from D2D for 35, and I'll get my money back from my BestBuy preorder.

Thanks for who ever posted/found the D2D deal.

Alright I picked up the PS3 version so I could patch ahead of time and everything.
Title Update 1.01 was around 130MB
The first in-game patch weighed in at a whopping 11GB.
The second is around 2.2GB.

However, the game hasn't even installed the 16GB it says it needs on the box yet - everything combined in the Game Data Utility is 14GB. Perhaps that 16GB figure on the back of the box is the maximum it'll need, rather than the initial required space it usually means.

Either way, it's going to be a while before people can play tomorrow. Download process was around an hour and a half in total, and that was with no real traffic compared to tomorrow.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Revolutionary said:
Alright I picked up the PS3 version so I could patch ahead of time and everything.
Title Update 1.01 was around 130MB
The first in-game patch weighed in at a whopping 11GB.
The second is around 2.2GB.

However, the game hasn't even installed the 16GB it says it needs on the box yet - everything combined in the Game Data Utility is 14GB. Perhaps that 16GB figure on the back of the box is the maximum it'll need, rather than the required space it usually means.

Either way, it's going to be a while before people can play tomorrow. Download process was around an hour and a half in total, and that was with no real traffic compared to tomorrow.
The first 11GB in game patch is actually just the disc installation right?

Nope. There is a day 1 patch of around 11 gig or so. I don't see why the PS3 Disks would contain data the PC ones did not, patches on both platforms should be identical ingame. Only difference is there will be external patches for the PS3 version of the game ontop of this (In this case, that title 1.01 update).

I really dunno why people are getting the PS3 one over the PC version. There really is no reason to at all.

• If PSN goes down, so does your game session
  • Ingame friends limited to PSN list
  • It'll look nicer + Preform better on PC since G-cards have advanced a ton.
  • PC version will prob support mods at somepoint, PS3 won't

I mean common people! I can't think of a single advantage the PS3 has :lol

Killthee said:
The first 11GB in game patch is actually just the disc installation right?
I sure as hell hope so. It says "downloading" like any other patch and showed the network meter so that's what led me to believe it isn't.

Big Chungus

ChronicleX said:
Nope. There is a day 1 patch of around 11 gig or so. I don't see why the PS3 Disks would contain data the PC ones did not, patches on both platforms should be identical ingame. Only difference is there will be external patches for the PS3 version of the game ontop of this (In this case, that title 1.01 update).

I really dunno why people are getting the PS3 one over the PC version. There really is no reason to at all.

First major MMO release on a console?

Better controls?

Killthee

ChronicleX said:

All good points (except for the second one, the game actually has an in game friends list separate from the PSN one), but I have a shitty laptop that could barely run the beta so I'm getting the PS3 version at launch. I'll migrate to the PC version if I'm still into the game when I get a new laptop.
Revolutionary said:
I sure as hell hope so. It says "downloading" like any other patch and showed the network meter so that's what led me to believe it isn't.
Ugh.....

Nightz

Revolutionary said:
Yep, that's a patch. =\

I would recommend that if you guys can somehow get a hold of it via preload, stores selling it early, go for it just so you can download the patches before the servers go live.

Killthee

ferr said:
Is there a list of servers? Are PS3 and PC servers separated?
  • Separate servers.
  • No list available yet.
  • Servers will be named after DC comic arcs. The Killing Joke has been confirmed as one of the server names.
  • Servers will start to go live tomorrow morning at 7 A.M PST/10 A.M. EST. More will be added throughout the day as the first ones start to fill up.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Revolutionary said:
idAUHe.gif

Not this 8 hour patch download again.

Effect

11gig day 1 patch!? I'm sorry but that's completely unacceptable. I've played MMOs for years but a 11 gig patch for a just launched game is just wrong no matter how one looks at it. That's demand money back unacceptable. That's game not reasonably playable unacceptable.

Effect said:
11gig day 1 patch!? I'm sorry but that's completely unacceptable. I've played MMOs for years but a 11 gig patch for a just launched game is just wrong no matter how one looks at it. That's demand money back unacceptable. That's game not reasonably playable unacceptable.

Its a Sign that the disks were rushed to gold so this is all the content they done since the disks went gold that was not ready. However they still have that content ready for the actual launch of the game.

That IMO is a good thing. Consider Blizzard with WotLK and the Uldum raid that took forever to appear even though it was meant to be there at launch (Thats why they recycled Naxx), they didn't give a crap. They took many many months to add that content to the game. Don't take my word for it until I have logged in and compared the retail to my beta experience but I consider this massive patch to be a seal of "The Dev's give a shit".

However, each to his own.

Ponn

Banned
Oh god damn it! Why the fuck didn't they at least allow the use of all the assets we used during beta?? I had to downgrade from an extremely crappy comcast connection to the only thing available, 1.5 meg DSL and last time it took literally 3 days of my PS3 being on downloading to get the file. I really don't think I want to do this again and this is really making me think again for a third time not getting this. Damn it. This game was stupidly rushed.

It wasn't. It's been delayed 3 times. If they were going todo a rush release they would of done it long ago. "Rushed" is one of the few words I'd use on this game. It might even be the most polished launch MMO to date if the beta is anything to go by (and since that ended last week, it 99.99% is).

So after the disc install and the patch how much space does this actually take up? I only have 25 gigs left on my hard drive (ps3) seriously scared its not going to make it. And how come im missing like 20 gigs of memory from my hard drive, doesnt the ps3 have a cache issue that doesnt give all your memory back after deleting somthing?

11 gig patch is fuckin pathetic, looks like ill be playing wednesday instead of tomorrow. Fuck you SOE

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Outtrigger888 said:
So after the disc install and the patch how much space does this actually take up? I only have 25 gigs left on my hard drive (ps3) seriously scared its not going to make it. And how come im missing like 20 gigs of memory from my hard drive, doesnt the ps3 have a cache issue that doesnt give all your memory back after deleting somthing?

11 gig patch is fuckin pathetic, looks like ill be playing wednesday instead of tomorrow. Fuck you SOE
The beta took up 17 gigs. I think the retail is 16 gigs max.

And yeah, looks like I'll have to overnight the patch....again.

Effect

ChronicleX said:
Its a Sign that the disks were rushed to gold so this is all the content they done since the disks went gold that was not ready. However they still have that content ready for the actual launch of the game.

That IMO is a good thing. Consider Blizzard with WotLK and the Uldum raid that took forever to appear even though it was meant to be there at launch (Thats why they recycled Naxx), they didn't give a crap. They took many many months to add that content to the game. Don't take my word for it until I have logged in and compared the retail to my beta experience but I consider this massive patch to be a seal of "The Dev's give a shit".

However, each to his own.

I agree it does sound like the disc were rushed. However this doesn't sound like a single area that is missing. This sounds like you are redownloading the entire game even though you just finished installing it. If they had that much to rework at the last minute what the hell were they doing during the beta months that they couldn't get this all on the retail discs? This is even after the release date was pushed back. A patch that is a few hundred megs is understandable considering the size of a MMO these days. Maybe even one that is 1 gig or close to 2 if its a significant alteration. Over 5 and approaching or perhaps passing 10 is unacceptable.

Though if you are really looking forward to the game I guess one can overlook it. I didn't get the game in the end but this still bothers me. I tend to dislike patching as a general idea at times because it's abused like this. Just gives developers/publishers an excuse to knowingly release incomplete content with the idea that "We'll just patch".

jogarrr

Many of the voices were added in late December. I'm not sure how long before release a game typically goes gold but it's possible they didn't make the cut. I remember one patch in mid-December being 8 gigs that added a lot of voices.

Trust me I was not happy with such a massive Day1 patch either but since I bought a digital copy anyway, it did not make a blind bit of difference if it was a 25 gig download from the Steam store or a 14 gig +11 gig patch. My logic behind it is that the beta was 14 gig, beta was the entire game to test. The Retail (disk / Store size) is around the same as the beta sizewise. Thus everything in this patch is bonus content they were not intending to include at at launch.

Thats my theory anyway, otherwise there is no reason for it since the beta ended last week. No company in their right mind makes 11 gigs worth of changes to a 14 gig game within a week :lol

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Maybe we'll get lucky and the patch will add the electricity, hard light and atomic powersets back to the game.

ChronicleX said:

Common sense? It's on my 65" tv as opposed to my 26" PC screen.

No brainer.

Oh and guys a huge Day 1 patch is SOP for MMOs. Saying Fuck You SOE is pretty silly.

Hehe the discs are just to get you the keys.

No45

This isn't the place for this discussion, but that's not quite as straightforward as you make out for some people. I'd need a new graphics card and a 10m+ HDMI cable to run my PC to my amp for example, and that's ignoring the fact that I currently have a wired keyboard and mouse.

Any modern TV has VGA input which is the PC standard you don't need HDMI, so it is very straightforward. Remember using HDMI is only going to make what is coming out the box sharper. VGA'd PC is still going to look alot better than HMDI'd PS3, the PS3 has very dated graphics by modern PC standards.

It really depends on how old your PC is. Any thing newer than 2 years will outclass the PS3.

No45

ChronicleX said:
Any modern TV has VGA input which is the PC standard you don't need HDMI, so it is very straightforward. Remember using HDMI is only going to make what is coming out the box sharper. VGA'd PC is still going to look alot better than HMDI'd PS3, the PS3 has very dated graphics by modern PC standards.

It really depends on how old your PC is. Any thing newer than 2 years will outclass the PS3.
If I want to get my PC hooked into my amp properly, including decent audio, I need the upgrade and a long (and what will I guess be relatively expensive due to the length) HDMI cable to bring it to my amp. If I compromise, particularly on audio quality, then I might as well stay with the PS3 version. I know what you're saying, and I know the PC version will be/run better overall, but it's a bit of a headache for me and I'm sure others.

For what it's worth, I do actually plan on doing the above. Waiting for my new amp to arrive (Yamaha RX-V1067, yay!) and I'll have spare HDMI slots for it. :)

I'm so disappointed I can't share my account across the versions. :'(

icqpimp

Banned
Xater said:
Wait this is out this week? I played the beta on PS3 and enjoyed the basics of the game, but technically the game was still broken. I can't believe they are already releasing it. I really don't believe they polished it up all that. From the beta this seemed to be a games that needed at least 6 more months in the oven.
God you're so right it's not funny. I so want to disagree with you but I can't. Me and my friend were saying the exact same things about this game. He wished that it hadn't come out so soon, not when there were still bugs that needed to be fixed before retail. I hope they iron this shit out man 'cause this game would be truly transcending if they did.

I'm so exited, I'm so excited

I have been trying to think of a superhero name to call myself for the past few days, but all of them suck so far.

Also I am hoping that the game allows the use of microphones so I can do a fake Christian Bale Batman voice.

"I am the hero this city needs...I am...THE COON."

24azbyq.png

Fitz

Damn, seems the registration page on Sony's website is slow as fuck, surprise surprise. Incidentally, does anyone know if it's possible to get a key or something to register the game from the Steam version before it is unlocked in 6 hours? I really want to get my account registered before then so I can log in right away.

jogarrr

Bring up the details view for the game. On the right side you'll see a link that says 'CD Key.' I'm unable to enter it right now though. It says there's a technical error when I enter it.

Fitz

Oh thanks, well that's something at least. Just need to find where to put this key in on their site. From the looks of it though I'm guessing that we'll have to wait until it's unlocked on Steam anyway.

Ponn

Banned
ChronicleX said:
It wasn't. It's been delayed 3 times. If they were going todo a rush release they would of done it long ago. "Rushed" is one of the few words I'd use on this game. It might even be the most polished launch MMO to date if the beta is anything to go by (and since that ended last week, it 99.99% is).

And they should have allowed a longer beta like some other MMOs I have played. Let me guess, you were playing PC Beta? Don't tell me about polish when 2 days before beta ended my PS3 was still freezing and I was getting stuck in environments. This is going to really sour console owners new to MMO's who buy the game off the shelf and then put the game in their system ready to play and get a "Downloading 11gig patch" bar.

Killthee

Colkate said:
Oh thanks, well that's something at least. Just need to find where to put this key in on their site. From the looks of it though I'm guessing that we'll have to wait until it's unlocked on Steam anyway.
Have you tried the official site? There's a redeem code button that will take you to a login page and then allow you to enter a code.

I think you might also be able to do it via the launchpad (default location is: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\dc universe online\launchpad.exe).

Colkate said:

No. Steam has no influence on the game release. Also if you have not gone around steam and ran launchpad to get the update you are looking at a 10 gig download before you do anything.

Fitz

Of course, was simply referring to how Steam is still showing the game as being unreleased at the moment, so will have to wait for that to change.
And yeah I got that extra download done last night after doing the initial download on Steam. Although I'm lucky enough to have a fairly fast connection so having to download a few more Gigs tonight wouldn't be much of an issue.

I'm getting the "technical issue" error on their site also, the site doesn't seem bogged down for me at least right now.

Top Bottom