• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DEA to make Kratom a schedule 1 drug starting September 30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Asked the local smoke shop owner what this stuff is about a while back. First words out of his mouth were "highly addictive" so I didnt try it. Ill take the guy whose job it is to sell it over anecdotes on GAF.

Asked the local smoke shop owner what this stuff is about a while back. First words out of his mouth were "highly addictive" so I didnt try it. Ill take the guy whose job it is to sell it over anecdotes on GAF.

Most of the stuff I've seen at head shops are either extract or mixed with something else. It is not highly addictive. What he stated is pure ignorance.

pigeon

Banned
What's in it for the DEA for this specific drug though? I take it as an excuse for them to get more fed money to bust up head shops and whatnot. This is just bizarre to me.

Uh, I mean, consider the possibility that the drug has no approved medical uses (because it hasn't been studied), potential for abuse (because it's an opiate), and no understanding of how to use it safely under medical supervision (because, again, it hasn't been studied), and therefore fits the classification of a schedule I drug?

I think the DEA has overclassified a lot of drugs and overall I think full legalization or decriminalization for everything is the right choice. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the DEA needs crazy ulterior motives to do the thing that is their actual job.

Saganator

I can't find much research on it but it acts like an opiod. That's not a drug like weed

He means it's another drug being outlawed because it threatens a major industry.

Remember everyone, big pharma has everyone's best interest at heart! Not profit.

h1nch

Uh, I mean, consider the possibility that the drug has no approved medical uses (because it hasn't been studied), potential for abuse (because it's an opiate), and no understanding of how to use it safely under medical supervision (because, again, it hasn't been studied), and therefore fits the classification of a schedule I drug?

I think the DEA has overclassified a lot of drugs and overall I think full legalization or decriminalization for everything is the right choice. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the DEA needs crazy ulterior motives to do the thing that is their actual job.

Their job is to preserve their own relevance, no matter the destructive cost to society.

They are criminals. Plain and simple.

Brakke

Banned
Look at asbestos. We all know how bad it is, but it isn't even regulated! The EPA wrote up literally ten thousand pages on why it should be regulated...and they were shut down!

What are you talking about? Asbestos handling is regulated in construction and demolition of schools at least. Tons of local and state governments have further regulations.

Crayons

Banned
What are you talking about? Asbestos handling is regulated in construction and demolition of schools at least. Tons of local and state governments have further regulations.
My mistake, you're right. But it isn't banned. And it should be.

How is it constitutional for the US government to create an institution that determines what is and isn't legal without any legislative oversite? Seems highly unconstitutional to me. Has this ever been challenged in court?

pigeon

Banned
How is it constitutional for the US government to create an institution that determines what is and isn't legal without any legislative oversite? Seems highly unconstitutional to me. Has this ever been challenged in court?

The legislative branch made a law that authorizes an executive agency to regulate drugs.

The executive branch executes the law by creating an agency to do that.

This is how literally every government agency works. The legislative branch could generally overrule the agency if they really want to go to the trouble, but they typically don't.

Cocaine is only a Schedule II class drug while of course Crack has much stiffer penalties thanks to lawmakers...

Schedule I

Schedule I drugs, substances, or chemicals are defined as drugs with no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse. Some examples of Schedule I drugs are:

heroin, lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), marijuana (cannabis), 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (ecstasy), methaqualone, and peyote

Schedule II

Schedule II drugs, substances, or chemicals are defined as drugs with a high potential for abuse, with use potentially leading to severe psychological or physical dependence. These drugs are also considered dangerous. Some examples of Schedule II drugs are:

Combination products with less than 15 milligrams of hydrocodone per dosage unit (Vicodin), cocaine, methamphetamine, methadone, hydromorphone (Dilaudid), meperidine (Demerol), oxycodone (OxyContin), fentanyl, Dexedrine, Adderall, and Ritalin

Schedule III

Schedule III drugs, substances, or chemicals are defined as drugs with a moderate to low potential for physical and psychological dependence. Schedule III drugs abuse potential is less than Schedule I and Schedule II drugs but more than Schedule IV. Some examples of Schedule III drugs are:

Products containing less than 90 milligrams of codeine per dosage unit (Tylenol with codeine), ketamine, anabolic steroids, testosterone

Schedule IV

Schedule IV drugs, substances, or chemicals are defined as drugs with a low potential for abuse and low risk of dependence. Some examples of Schedule IV drugs are:

Xanax, Soma, Darvon, Darvocet, Valium, Ativan, Talwin, Ambien, Tramadol

Schedule V

Schedule V drugs, substances, or chemicals are defined as drugs with lower potential for abuse than Schedule IV and consist of preparations containing limited quantities of certain narcotics. Schedule V drugs are generally used for antidiarrheal, antitussive, and analgesic purposes. Some examples of Schedule V drugs are:

cough preparations with less than 200 milligrams of codeine or per 100 milliliters (Robitussin AC), Lomotil, Motofen, Lyrica, Parepectolin

https://www.dea.gov/druginfo/ds.shtml

DEA largely serves their own funding related interests and that of the people who underwrite their budget.

There goes my recreational drug. We knew this was coming for some time now though. Quite honestly, I blame the fake shit sold in smoke shops for drawing unnecessary attention to it.

Yeah the smoke shop shit is garbage and what most people would end up trying unfortunately.

Paz

Its almost as if it's in the dea's financial interests to restrict substances and turn people in to criminals and so that is what they do.

When you are a hammer everything is a nail.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I'm sure Obama would stop it if he could. He's such a cool guy. Sadly he has no power over the DEA

The DEA is under the DoJ. The previous POTUS straight up fired his Attorney General. I'd call that power.
When Obama took office the drug czar at the time said that the Obama administration didn't plan to make major changes to drug policy. Why did he bother mentioning the possibility of that? Because Obama could have done it, that's why.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Very bad news for pain management. What a mess.

Smells like pharma industry lobbied to get rid of something that could hurt their massive pain pill business. But maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Edit: oh wait that's right DEA, aka let's find more ways to lock up non violent offenders.

benjipwns

Banned
Good luck with all the studying and such once it's on Schedule I.

benjipwns

Banned
The kratom community is trying to fight this as much as they can while also starting a whitehouse.gov petition.
Pretending for a second that the White House actually cares about these petitions.

Nobody commented on the aspect where a bunch of people are giving their names and e-mail addresses to the government about their use of something that will be ultra-illegal soon?

Pretending for a second that the White House actually cares about these petitions.

Nobody commented on the aspect where a bunch of people are giving their names and e-mail addresses to the government about their use of something that will be ultra-illegal soon?

I doubt that they'd use those emails and names to try to track these people down. That seems ridiculous and it's also the only option for the supporters to try to get the DEA to reconsider their classification of kratom. I know it's a slim chance but people don't want to just roll over and give up without a fight.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I'm not part of the "kratom community" but you're damn right I signed that petition lol

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Nope, nothing going on at all.

What bullshit. Thing went straight to don't pass go don't collect $200 lol... Way to screw people over because of $$$$

The greed is real

Ecto311

Reddit has links to places that are still selling if anyone needs it. I have used it for over 3 years and no ill side effects. Helped me get away from opiates from when I broke my wrist.

The verge did a story on it helping heroin addicts and that was where I learned about it. Nice lady at my local tea shop has it and knows tons about it.

Since it is part of the coffee plant are they also banning coffee? They banned hemp with marijuana so it makes sense to me.

mike6467

Did an update ever get posted on this?

The DEA walked back plans to "schedule 1" Kratom and is instead soliciting public feedback on what to do.

It sounds like they can't legally do nothing but it might mean a far less severe restriction or regulation.

I really wonder what that looks like, is it basically like tobacco and only 18+?

I've got friends who use it for pain and anxiety, When this ban thing came up I talked them into letting me try it. It just provided a nice bit of relaxation and motivation, I was fully functional, if not moreso. There was no loss of cognitive or physical impairment with what I tried, It's hard to explain, but I definitely get the appeal.

They really opened Pandora's Box though, with the accusation that it was such a health risk it had to be listed with heroin, LSD and weed (living in CO I keep forgetting it's schedule I, Christ....)

Should be interesting to see how this plays out. At the very least I hope this delay leads to more research and actual empirical data on the stuff. Or maybe they'll just be honest, "It's hurting the sales of percs and vics, nuke it."

Hale-XF11

Isn't it comforting to know that our government has knee-jerk reactions like this instead of taking the time to base their decisions on science, then ultimately they decide against basing their decisions on science? What a joke.

mike6467

Isn't it comforting to know that our government has knee-jerk reactions like this instead of taking the time to base their decisions on science, then ultimately they decide against basing their decisions on science? What a joke.

There's an alternate universe where this is how they do things. That place is SO much better then where we're at. Just getting teary eye'd thinking about it.

A mom I know would drive her kids around all day drinking a couple of pints of Kratom tea. I'll admit this concerned me. Could Child Protective services be called while keeping this off the DEA schedule?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom