• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the DEA's Plan to Schedule 1 Kratom Will Mean for Millions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thewonandonly

I don't trust the DEA, at all. Weed's recreationally legalized in four states with more coming and the DEA is refusing to remove it from Schedule 1. That is in-SANE when you stop and think about what it means. The DEA is wildly out of touch and their draconian policies are making them completely irrelevant as an enforcement agency. They lost their credibility.
That really is the most crazy thing ever. Fucking weed that has never killed a single person unless they were on something else is scheduled with heroin and crack. Like what the holy fuck. Hell I personally thing LSD and MDMA should be a controlled substance where your allowed to buy like one thing every one or three months. Those are safer then alchohal or most drugs that they prescribe. But no there illegal so people have to go to the street to buy them and you have no idea what your getting then :(

I really think we need a new way to look at drugs and control them in America. Let's stop putting away people for shorting her ion if there not putting anyone's life in danger. Let's try to fucking help them and send them to rehab for free. Shit doesn't make any sense. Just lock up the dealers.

I have been trying to but it seem like if you suggest it is a drug that needs regulating you are a pawn of the DEA. Sorry that I think it needs to be regulated but it is an active chemical that can be dangerous and should be proscribed like normal medication. Making tea out of it or buying it in the form of herbal supplements means your doses could be wildly different every single time you use it. And sorry trials have shown it does have severe side effects and is addictive. Something like that can't just be unregulated.

Since you keep spouting misinformation, I feel compelled to leave this here.

There are better and more meticulously researched and sourced materials out there as well - this was simply recent, easy to find, and a decent primer. Educate yourself, or don't. Either way, for the sake of others, just refrain from passing off misconceptions and common prohibition talking points as truth when they are the furthest thing from it.

Obscura

Ignoring everything else, please explain to me how DMT has a high potential for abuse. I'd love to know what horseshit they've cooked up to make that so. Most people would never touch it again after doing it once out of deathly fear. What a joke.

Thewonandonly

Ignoring everything else, please explain to me how DMT has a high potential for abuse. I'd love to know what horseshit they've cooked up to make that so. Most people would never touch it again after doing it once out of deathly fear. What a joke.
Shit man is it really that scary becuase I wanted to try it haha

mackattk

An average of 6 people die everyday from alcohol poising, which doesn't include alcohol related deaths. 15 deaths over 2.5 years is unfortunate, but lets put things into perspective.

I have never heard of Kratom before this thread, but it seems like a real way to help get people off from being addicted to pain killers. It is a shame that this country is so profit driven that an acceptable alternative is being shut down and without being able to be researched at all.

Anything is toxic if given enough quantity, but the people who are trying to get back to living their life after a medical emergency and then suddenly cut off of painkillers need a way to transition off the stuff. It looks like this is one of the options that are being shut down.

I mean their whole purpose is to control psychoactive chemicals like this one. The problem is that they are to heavy handed and disallow research on these drugs.

The problem is the DEA doesn't do a fucking thing to curb usage, causes black markets, schedules drugs in ways that lacks cohesiveness and they are a self sustaining entity. The more shit they schedule the more they're needed. The war on drugs is a giant crock of shit and the DEA is a giant waste of money.

Wereroku

Since you keep spouting misinformation, I feel compelled to leave this here.

There are better and more meticulously researched and sourced materials out there as well - this was simply recent, easy to find, and a decent primer. Educate yourself, or don't. Either way, for the sake of others, just refrain from passing off misconceptions and common prohibition talking points as truth when they are the furthest thing from it.

What am I wrong about? It seems to have a use as a medicine so it should certainly be used and studied as one. However it is a drug so it should be regulated like every other drug we use. So it is mildly addictive but not as dangerous as some believe that's cool seems like it could be very helpful.

The problem is the DEA doesn't do a fucking thing to curb usage, causes black markets, schedules drugs in ways that lacks cohesiveness and they are a self sustaining entity. The more shit they schedule the more they're needed. The war on drugs is a giant crock of shit and the DEA is a giant waste of money.

Well yeah they are heavy handed that's the whole problem. They need to be revamped and remove the whole war on drugs aspect but controlling the flows of narcotic drugs is an important function that any country needs. You can't just allow anything to be imported or distributed since it could lead to deaths or more serious problems.

inner-G

Banned
What they won't mention is the other drugs people had in their system when they died!

Oh, you were doing heroin, xanax, and kratom and died? The evil kratom takes another young, innocent life!

The reason kratom is being put on schedule 1 is because as a natural painkiller, it threatens the profit margins of big pharma by a LOT. They make a killing on opiate painkillers. That's why they funnel money into anti-medical marijuana groups, and why they used their influence in the DEA to put kratom on schedule 1.

#staywoke
Same reason cannabis is schedule 1

sans_pants

avec_pénis
When will we learn that prohibition doesn't work? I mean the people with power know, but how long are we gonna let them get away with it?

mike6467

I know several people who use this for anxiety/depression/pain, all while being fully functional, well adjusted, contributors to society. I don't understand scheduling it to this degree when so many people are benefiting from it. Researching and making an informed decision? Yes, that makes sense. Just banning it, and any research of it? That doesn't make sense. It really makes me sick to think this is something that's doable without any required research, appeal or public input.

mackattk

When will we learn that prohibition doesn't work? I mean the people with power know, but how long are we gonna let them get away with it?

It works well for the for-profit prison system we have. Also helps fund the local police force since there are a much larger base of "criminals" for them to arrest. In this case, it helps the pharmaceutical companies to keep people on the legal, much more expensive, stuff.

If they actually cared about the citizens things would be a lot different. It is just a money racket currently.

What am I wrong about? It seems to have a use as a medicine so it should certainly be used and studied as one. However it is a drug so it should be regulated like every other drug we use. So it is mildly addictive but not as dangerous as some believe that's cool seems like it could be very helpful.

Well yeah they are heavy handed that's the whole problem. They need to be revamped and remove the whole war on drugs aspect but controlling the flows of narcotic drugs is an important function that any country needs. You can't just allow anything to be imported or distributed since it could lead to deaths or more serious problems.
Well yeah, prescription drugs shouldn't be abused and shouldn't be sold by unauthorized dealers, that's about it though. if people want to kill themselves, oh well. Not directly comparable but we don't ban certain foods and ish like tobacco and alcohol for a reason.

It doesn't work and if you want to ingest toxins into your body for pleasure, slowly killing yourself, that's your choice. Employer's using hair tests for drugs instead of penny-pinching with urine tests would reduce drug use more than the DEA ever could. Punish recreational drug users that can't blame their use on stress or environment.

They ain't doing ish about slaves, :lol at them doing something about drugs. If they can't buy you, you can be 'offed' or at least put into a position where can't do anything about them.

Wereroku

Well yeah, prescription drugs shouldn't be abused and shouldn't be sold by unauthorized dealers, that's about it though. if people want to kill themselves, oh well. Not directly comparable but we don't ban certain foods and ish like tobacco and alcohol for a reason.

It doesn't work and if you want to ingest toxins into your body for pleasure, slowly killing yourself, that's your choice. Employer's using hair tests for drugs instead of penny-pinching with urine tests would reduce drug use more than the DEA ever could. Punish recreational drug users that can't blame their use on stress or environment.

Does any country in the world let someone kill themselves for pleasure? Still it seems wrong to let people use dangerous drugs just because they want to but the same argument could be said about booze or smoking as you stated. Who knows we can agree that their needs to be some regulation and that the DEA as it is now is overly aggressive and highly political. But I don't understand why nothing is being done about this. Can President Obama not but in an executive order to downgrade pot to a schedule 3 drug himself or would his own party be against that? I understand why the useless house and senate aren't doing anything but since he seems much more liberal about drugs why not fix it and bring the court case about.

The war on drugs is controlling distribution by making it illegal. Which doesn't work.I'm not even sure what you're saying here since "removing the war on drugs" would be removing controls we currently have.

13v15.gif

It amazes me how corrupt this country is. If we ever fix our government, reform alone isn't good enough to me. People need to be punished. People need to suffer . Some of these government organizations like the DEA and FBI along with some of these billion dollar corporations are legit super villains and it won't be fair if they don't at least loose their lives of something. A reasonable punishment for fucking up the world right?

We're talking about the DEA limiting access to the synthetic drug bath salts, right? And this is your reaction?

Sorry I don't follow much about drug agencies or the synthetic opioid scene, but the strength of your reaction to regulating the production/consumption of bath salts (which I've been led to believe is a fairly destructive synthetic drug), made me do a double take. So, please correct me if I've missed something. Given the regulatory structure of the US, should bath salts not be regulated, and is it a safe drug?

Wereroku

The war on drugs is controlling distribution by making it illegal. Which doesn't work.I'm not even sure what you're saying here since "removing the war on drugs" would be removing controls we currently have.

13v15.gif
I mean we need an agency to deal with people and companies who illegally import or distribute controlled substances and handle the licenses and whatnot around that. Ideally that should be what the DEA does. Is that more clear?

We're talking about the DEA limiting access to the synthetic drug bath salts, right? And this is your reaction?

Sorry I don't follow much about drug agencies or the synthetic opioid scene, but the strength of your reaction to regulating the production/consumption of bath salts (which I've been led to believe is a fairly destructive synthetic drug), made me do a double take. So, please correct me if I've missed something. Given the regulatory structure of the US, should bath salts not be regulated, and is it a safe drug?
I don't like the DEA because they teamed up with the CCA and brought back slavery for negroes. This thread just gives me another opportunity to rant.

iamblades

I mean we need an agency to deal with people and companies who illegally import or distribute controlled substances and handle the licenses and whatnot around that. Ideally that should be what the DEA does. Is that more clear?

Why?

Did we really have an issue with this before the DEA was formed? Has the DEA notably improved ANYTHING?

Same thing goes for the ATF as well. I mean aside from selling hundreds of untraceable guns to the Mexican drug cartels.

We already have a federal police service, it's called the fucking FBI(ignoring the Secret Service and the Marshals Service, who were pre-existing and had specific and well defined roles), we don't need specialized niche bureaucracies with vested interests in maintaining and extending criminalization of specific things.

So many ignorant and shitty responses from people in here. I assume none of you suffer or know people who suffer with chronic pain. My roommate has scoliosis and was addicted to hydrocodone for years before I heard about kratom and got some for him. He's been able to stop using prescription drugs completely and doesn't have any of the awful side effects he had while using hydrocodone.

My younger brother's best friend got injured in a wrestling match and was given opiates as pain relief and ended up getting addicted to them. He overdosed and died when he was 19.

But hey Big Pharma and the DEA say opiates are ok to treat pain and I'm sure they have everyone's best health and interest in mind. I'm sure Wereroku won't lose any sleep over the DEA's decision but I know my roommate and so many like him will. Can you imagine choosing between a life of constant pain vs a life of addiction?

So many ignorant and shitty responses from people in here. I assume none of you suffer or know people who suffer with chronic pain. My roommate has scoliosis and was addicted to hydrocodone for years before I heard about kratom and got some for him. He's been able to stop using prescription drugs completely and doesn't have any of the awful side effects he had while using hydrocodone.

My younger brother's best friend got injured in a wrestling match and was given opiates as pain relief and ended up getting addicted to them. He overdosed and died when he was 19.

But hey Big Pharma and the DEA say opiates are ok to treat pain and I'm sure they have everyone's best health and interest in mind. I'm sure Wereroku won't lose any sleep over the DEA's decision but I know my roommate and so many like him will. Can you imagine choosing between a life of constant pain vs a life of addiction?

Bravo to you, sir. Incredibly on point post.

Electret

The DEA is one of the most vile organizations on the planet.

The DEA:

-Engages in civil asset forfeiture - i.e., shakedowns of ordinary citizens they know or believe or carry cash, and pay off airport and train station employees to tip them off when targets' arrivals are eminent.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/08/10/dea-travel-record-airport-seizures/88474282/

-Engages in parallel construction - i.e., illegally acquire evidence for prosecution in direct violation of the fourth amendment.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-dea-sod-idUSBRE97409R20130805

-Classifies substances with flagrant disregard for how they've been characterized by the scientific and medical community, largely in part to continually justify their miserable existence.

The sooner they are wholesale wiped from existence the better. Much like the overall drug war, the treatment is worse than the disease.

Crayons

Banned
Be careful I hear chemtrails are dumping opiates on us as well. This has little to do with big pharma and more to do with the fact that kratom appears to be highly addictive with some serious side effects. While this article tried to suggest it was a mild painkiller with few downsides. Something like this can't be unregulated because it is dangerous the fact that it has killed people when it was being used relatively little until recently suggests it could get worse if nothing is done about it.

Well I mean this has killed people so they are protecting the public i guess.

Thank you for dismissing me as a crazy conspiracy theorist. I bet if I told you of the CIA's complicity with cocaine during the Nicaraguan contra war, you'd tell me I was crazy too right? Well, it's real and it happened and if you don't believe me you can use Google or read a book.

Kratom alone hasn't killed anyone. Saying that we should ban kratom because people took it with heroin and died is like saying we should ban bleach because people can mix it with ammonia and kill themselves. They are NOT doing this out of benevolence. They are doing this to justify their existence as an organization, to create revenue by throwing more people in jail for the painkillers drugs that they should've been buying from big pharma.

This has EVERYTHING to do with big pharma and bureaucracy

If the government was legitimately concerned with accidental deaths from non-prescription painkillers they would ban acetaminophen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom