• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead and Dying Attractions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeff Albertson said:
Does not compute.

They may not be at their peak but are far far far far from dead or dying, the only reason for them not thriving as much right now is the economic climate.

Note; I can only speak for WDW here thinking about it I've never been to DisneyLand

WDW is worse off than DL. They keep taking away rides and cutting park hours and entertainment while raising ticket prices!

At Magic Kingdom alone they got rid of 20,000 Leagues Under the sea (the submarine ride), The Skyway Cable Cars, most of the watercraft on the river (canoes, Kellboats, etc.) and they replaced Mr.toad with a lame pooh ride, replaced alien encounter with some stitch shit, and replaced timekeeper with some really lame monsters inc. show.

Park upkeep is at an all time low and it seems like the only new attractions the parks get now adays are all inexpensive cartoon tie-ins.

Lionheart1827 said:
Drive in movie theaters :(
There is still one operating near me. The keep it going by having a flea market during the day and added on a regular theater. They also upgraded their sound system to broadcast through radio frequency vs the little boxes you hung on your window.

Why would you do that? said:
However, I did not know that this studio was gone until just now. :(
Same here :(.

There's something amusing about seeing these malls, symbols of modern society's self-centered, fast food, quick fix mentality, get out modded by either better malls, big box and online stores that do the job better than the mall, or simple population migration. Especially so when the downfall is precipitated by the arrival of the same undesirables that the patrons moved to suburbia to escape from in the first place.

Fashion Show Mall here in Plantation Florida was like this for several years. At one point I was taking classes on the third floor at a computer center for certifications, and it was only thing in the mall open outside of one tiny shoe store. Was always freaky walking around to class in an abandoned mall that I had shopped in so many years before. They still had signs up for advertisements for TV shows long canceled.

Shockgamer said:
There's something amusing about seeing these malls, symbols of modern society's self-centered, fast food, quick fix mentality, get out modded by either better malls, big box and online stores that do the job better than the mall, or simple population migration. Especially so when the downfall is precipitated by the arrival of the same undesirables that the patrons moved to suburbia to escape from in the first place.

Dude your just grasping at so many things right there.

Koshiba

I went to a mall in Haines City recently that was like this. Always really weird seeing malls so dead and empty of stores. I went to my mall recently while not quite as bad, you could tell there were quite a few closed up stores compared to how it used to be.

I love abandoned places. It gives me a sense of history and wonder. It makes me imagine what people's lives were like back then and try to put together a story.

I remember when I was in high school. My friends and I broke into a local abandoned theater. It was one of those single screen old style theater, it was good times.

Also I remember Cinderella City in Colorado when it sat empty there for a while. I rode my bike thru the mall, it was pretty unreal when I rode thru all the empty stores. I had fond memory of that place. There was an arcade there that I remember Mortal Kombat first released in the arcade, found out about fatalities and it blew my mind. Also there was a video store where I stole a Playboy video. :p

Semi on topic: The restaurant where I worked through out high school closed down

I always figured I'd eat there again one day even though I live in a different part of the country - now I can't :(

It was in a mall, although I think the mall is fine

Outcast2004 said:
It's amazing how quickly it went from "packed" to barren.

I would go there during my lunch breaks about 98-99 when I was working at Rolling acres Dodge and spent the whole time in the arcade.

To me, that was the most memorable place. It was HUGE. Picture a site the size of a department store FILLED with all the latest arcade releases (the BIG titles like Street Fighter and Tekken being on 40+ inch big screen monitors) and the older classics in the back.

Hell, I got my first taste of Marvel vs Capcom 2 there...... :(

Same story here, but McAllister Square Mall in Greenville, SC. By the time the arcade closed, only one anchor store left. It has been saved by a local technical college for use as classrooms and shop rooms.

Hey, we have a dead airport here

Mirabel.Jpg

mirabel-small-0039.jpg

But the scariest place is dixie square from chicago

Dixie_Square_Mall.jpg

20021129-086-sr-900.jpg

773596995_55bc1b3a3d.jpg

3354403315_caa28326cb.jpg

20030611-030-SR-900.JPG

Dixie001-500x400.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjNzvRs_Egg

Huge and empty structures are scary as fuck.

It's like the shining!

Sanjuro

That Dixie Square is the perfect example for this thread. That is crazy how large it was and how quickly it fell from the date it opened.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
AniHawk said:

There's a Youtube of some kids that snuck into the studios. What's hilarious is that shortly after closing it down (in 2006) the studios stuff was still there and the doors were unlocked. I dunno about now (2009) but Nick's sudden departure/Universal ripping things out was pretty tragic. I went to there in 1993, memories. :( (Though Universal was kinda decaying even then)

FLEABttn

Banned
If you've seen Observe and Report, that was filmed in a dead mall in Albuquerque, Winrock Shopping Center. When I first moved to ABQ, I went there looking for food while I was in the area. The door I tried was unlocked and I found myself actually amazed that I was walking in a mall with no stores (outside of the corner stores, Dillards, Bed Bath and Beyond, and a sporting goods store).

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
BattleMonkey said:
Fashion Show Mall here in Plantation Florida was like this for several years. At one point I was taking classes on the third floor at a computer center for certifications, and it was only thing in the mall open outside of one tiny shoe store. Was always freaky walking around to class in an abandoned mall that I had shopped in so many years before. They still had signs up for advertisements for TV shows long canceled
Man, that's nothing. There's a bus stop on one of the busiest streets in Los Angeles County, in a good area, that still has an ad for the "upcoming" theatrical release of National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets.

DJ_Tet

Banned
I have to agree with the poster talking about how sad modern dead malls are to children of the 80's. If you've ever seen Fast Times at Ridgemont High it perfectly shows how integral malls were to young society especially in that era. The movies, the arcade, the food court, and the clothes shopping brought everyone together under the same roof.

A major paper did a story on a local mall here in Charlotte, Eastland Mall as a feature of a dying mall. I grew up going to that mall and remember when it became the 'black mall' as Chris Rock put it. Whites started flocking to South Park and the new at the time Carolina Place. Now with Eastland hanging on by a mere thread, you wonder what will happen not only to that area but other malls in general.

It's sad because Eastland had a great ice rink in the bottom lower level of the mall, and you used to just see crowds hanging all around the bowl up 3 levels watching people skate. The skating rink closed a few years back, the arcade closed about a decade ago, and the theater has closed several times in my life. I don't see the mall making any grand return which is sad because I remember the place as a booming metropolis in the early 80's. To my young mind it was where my 'Fast Times at Ridgemont High' moments would occur. Little did I know that by the time I was driving age it would be worth my time/safety to drive 30 minutes to the 'new' mall.

Here's a link to the WSJ article talking about Eastland Mall. It's a good read for people interested in this subject.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124294047987244803.html

edit: A pic of the ice rink

nv8xti.jpg

mollipen

I've been a fan of the whole "urban decay" thing for a long, long time. I'm not sure if my love for it helped feed my love for Silent Hill, if my love for Silent Hill helped feed my love for urban decay, or if they benefited equally.

"Dead" isn't quite the same as urban decay, though, but I've got an equal fascination for it. I loooove malls, especially dead ones - so long as we're talking the great ones built back in the 60s/70s/80s, the ones with interesting architecture and these crazy design ideas before the idea of what every mall should look like was decided upon and became standardized. They were these centers for "everything", so you never knew what you'd find there. I remember one in my hometown that had this crazy diner, and right across from it was a Fredrick's of Hollywood, and then if you walked outside and entered another door there was this amazing arcade. And then downstairs, in this darkened basement area, this weird moody bar/lounge, right across from an AT&T store trying to sell video phones. And then, the mall even had a damn helicopter landing pad that you could see if you knew the right second floor outer walkway door to go out! It wasn't like today, where any mall you walk in to you could pretty much guess 95% of the stores you're going to find. I really miss that - the sense that every mall wasn't just a clone of one another.

There's something just so enthralling to me about old malls, and while there's a sadness to them when they're dying / dead, they also take on this whole different life. It's like cityhunter mentioned before - it's the bizarre reality of being someplace that used to be bustling with life that now feels deserted and lonely.

Back home (Omaha, NE) we had one prominent mall die (Southroads), and another that has been on life support for a long, long time (Crossroads). Southroads is now an "industrial park", meaning it has a few big companies in it but the rest of the place is deserted. I tried walking around to check the place out a year or two back, but there was a security guard who wasn't having any of it. Crossroads used to be a terrifically interesting place: one long strip of stores, very dark and moody in the main hallway, a strange underground arcade/movie theater that felt more like a bomb shelter. Then, sometimes in the late 80's or maybe early 90's, they totally renovated the place, making it big, bright, and rather boring. Unfortunately for the poor Crossroads, city expansion left it behind, bigger, fancier malls showed up, and the hope that the mall getting revitalized by the addition of a Target a year or so back has not materialized. I'm not sure the mall is going to die, but to be honest the place is a ghost town at this point. The new wing that came with the renovation is, at last check, completely empty, and the stores that are there now are all crazy ones you've never heard of outside of a few names like Barnes & Noble, Old Navy, Sears, and the previously mentioned Target.

Then there are places that die that just break my heart totally. There was a movie theater called Cinema Center back home that just finally closed down last year. It was, I believe, the only theater left in Omaha to have one of the super-huge screens in it, and no matter when you went the place was never packed (well, except for TDK opening night), meaning you could actually enjoy the film. Plus, the prices were still reasonable and the popcorn was great. My friends and I always went to that theater, and now it'll be sad to know that when I go home for a visit it won't be there waiting for me.

Edit: My bitching about how all malls seem the same now reminded me of this mall out here in Thousand Oaks, CA. I used to live our here back in 96-98, and as I didn't have a car at the time and the mall was in walking distance, I'd go there sometimes when I was bored. It still had that 60s/70s feel to it, and had a couple places that I loved, including a great little Chinese place and this crazy retro-feeling pizza shop. When I moved back out here recently, I went to check it out again, and to me dismay it's now totally renovated and nothing but fancy and trendy shops (that, again, you see in every mall).

big_z

malls have been dying for some time. it's all about power centers now.

i love abandoned stuff though. i remember reading about some sort of hobbit like home a few guys found in the middle of no where. was interesting.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
shidoshi said:
Then there are places that die that just break my heart totally. There was a movie theater called Cinema Center back home that just finally closed down last year. It was, I believe, the only theater left in Omaha to have one of the super-huge screens in it, and no matter when you went the place was never packed (well, except for TDK opening night), meaning you could actually enjoy the film. Plus, the prices were still reasonable and the popcorn was great. My friends and I always went to that theater, and now it'll be sad to know that when I go home for a visit it won't be there waiting for me.
God... there used to be an amazing theater in the Mission Valley area of San Diego called Cinema 21. (Despite the name, it had one screen) It had a 65-foot-wide (not diagonal... wide) screen and the best sound system in the county. It closed in '98. The last movie they showed was X-Files: Fight the Future. It was a church, then it was demolished.

This is some of the most emotionally powerful shit in the world. It's the most tactile way you can understand the impermanence of every goddamn thing in life, even the shit you take for granted like the local mall or whatever. Knocks the wind out of you, man.

I don't really have anything to add except that when I was a kid I would make my dad drive me to Toys R Us every Saturday so I could play Super Mario 64. About 3 years ago I drove past it on the freeway, and saw people literally taking bulldozers to it. Fucked my shit up all day. It was almost like burying the family dog or something, just closing the door on childhood whimsy.

mollipen

TAJ said:
God... there used to be an amazing theater in the Mission Valley area of San Diego called Cinema 21. (Despite the name, it had one screen) It had a 65-foot-wide (not diagonal... wide) screen and the best sound system in the county. It closed in '98. The last movie they showed was X-Files: Fight the Future. It was a church, then it was demolished.

Omaha also used to have a place called the Indian Hills (Wiki article here) which had one of the HUGE Cinerama screens. (Might be the same kind of screen you're talking about.) Was absolutely amazing, and I had never seen (nor seen since) a theater that had the majestic feeling of that place. A lot of effort was made to save the theater for demolition, but unfortunately, as my dear Omaha seems to like to do, a great piece of history was shrugged off and destroyed. And what was the land used for instead? It's now a parking lot. *facepalm*

Talking about dying/dead malls, how about the way certain stores have died? I remember, in my childhood, having a Children's Palace show up in town, and my god... row after row of awesome toys and video games. And then Toys 'r Us showed up, and it was the same way. Then Children's Palace died, and Toys 'r Us just got more pathetic and less amazing year after year. I know a lot of it has to do with the fact that toys in this era just aren't the same anymore (partially due to the rise of the video game), but I still to this day remember being a kid and feeling like I was in heaven as I walked through Children's Palace. TRU is now just a mere shadow of those days.

woodchuck said:
recent article on "most endangered malls" : http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Americas-Most-Endangered-usnews-1952033275.html?x=0&.v=1

i can attest to highland mall. i don't know how it was when it first opened, but now it's depressing.

Ha! The very Crossroads Mall that I mentioned is the second entry on their "Most Endangered" list.

shidoshi said:
Talking about dying/dead malls, how about the way certain stores have died? I remember, in my childhood, having a Children's Palace show up in town, and my god... row after row of awesome toys and video games. And then Toys 'r Us showed up, and it was the same way. Then Children's Palace died, and Toys 'r Us just got more pathetic and less amazing year after year. I know a lot of it has to do with the fact that toys in this era just aren't the same anymore (partially due to the rise of the video game), but I still to this day remember being a kid and feeling like I was in heaven as I walked through Children's Palace. TRU is now just a mere shadow of those days.

I went to a Toys R Us last month to get my 3-year-old brother a toy drum set. All of the ones anywhere near my hometown were torn down.

It was, uh, it was very sad. Bunch of unmotivated Mexican kids working there who wished they were somewhere else, almost no kids at all. All those great nostalgic memories for me, wham, turned into a horrible, horrible warehouse store that knew full well it was about to go out of business.

I guess part of it is that the culture of consumerism has changed and moved to the efficiency of the big box stores and the internet for anything specialty driven. I don't know if there's anything wrong with that, but it's a bummer.

Eagle 209

Banned
Robert-GCA said:
There is still one operating near me. The keep it going by having a flea market during the day and added on a regular theater. They also upgraded their sound system to broadcast through radio frequency vs the little boxes you hung on your window.

Same here :(.

Yeah. Ours is booming too. I think its the economy. Its a relatively inexpensive way to hang out as a group for a double feature...plus they let us bring outside food and beer in!

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
shidoshi said:
I've been a fan of the whole "urban decay" thing for a long, long time. I'm not sure if my love for it helped feed my love for Silent Hill, if my love for Silent Hill helped feed my love for urban decay, or if they benefited equally.

"Dead" isn't quite the same as urban decay, though, but I've got an equal fascination for it. I loooove malls, especially dead ones - so long as we're talking the great ones built back in the 60s/70s/80s, the ones with interesting architecture and these crazy design ideas before the idea of what every mall should look like was decided upon and became standardized. They were these centers for "everything", so you never knew what you'd find there. I remember one in my hometown that had this crazy diner, and right across from it was a Fredrick's of Hollywood, and then if you walked outside and entered another door there was this amazing arcade. And then downstairs, in this darkened basement area, this weird moody bar/lounge, right across from an AT&T store trying to sell video phones. And then, the mall even had a damn helicopter landing pad that you could see if you knew the right second floor outer walkway door to go out! It wasn't like today, where any mall you walk in to you could pretty much guess 95% of the stores you're going to find. I really miss that - the sense that every mall wasn't just a clone of one another.

There's something just so enthralling to me about old malls, and while there's a sadness to them when they're dying / dead, they also take on this whole different life. It's like cityhunter mentioned before - it's the bizarre reality of being someplace that used to be bustling with life that now feels deserted and lonely.

Back home (Omaha, NE) we had one prominent mall die (Southroads), and another that has been on life support for a long, long time (Crossroads). Southroads is now an "industrial park", meaning it has a few big companies in it but the rest of the place is deserted. I tried walking around to check the place out a year or two back, but there was a security guard who wasn't having any of it. Crossroads used to be a terrifically interesting place: one long strip of stores, very dark and moody in the main hallway, a strange underground arcade/movie theater that felt more like a bomb shelter. Then, sometimes in the late 80's or maybe early 90's, they totally renovated the place, making it big, bright, and rather boring. Unfortunately for the poor Crossroads, city expansion left it behind, bigger, fancier malls showed up, and the hope that the mall getting revitalized by the addition of a Target a year or so back has not materialized. I'm not sure the mall is going to die, but to be honest the place is a ghost town at this point. The new wing that came with the renovation is, at last check, completely empty, and the stores that are there now are all crazy ones you've never heard of outside of a few names like Barnes & Noble, Old Navy, Sears, and the previously mentioned Target.

Edit: My bitching about how all malls seem the same now reminded me of this mall out here in Thousand Oaks, CA. I used to live our here back in 96-98, and as I didn't have a car at the time and the mall was in walking distance, I'd go there sometimes when I was bored. It still had that 60s/70s feel to it, and had a couple places that I loved, including a great little Chinese place and this crazy retro-feeling pizza shop. When I moved back out here recently, I went to check it out again, and to me dismay it's now totally renovated and nothing but fancy and trendy shops (that, again, you see in every mall).

:) You know what happened to Southroads. The people who visted it scared away the rest of the Bellevue white people and then the shops started closing. I remember going to Great Clips to get a haircut once and remarking about how everything was closed. Now, it is just the gym (or is that even still there) and Ameritrade. So freaking sad!

I lived close to Crossroads when I was younger and saw its heyday, now the whole top half is offices, I believe. Like what happened to the Center Mall (although I doubt that you have been in there, it has been pretty much dead for 15 years). My buddies and I would go the Center and go bowling and go to Younkers. When Younkers pulled out, so did everyone else.

Even Oakview is getting trashy now adays. I went to Willa Cather when they were building Oakview and remember marvelling about its glass roof and sheer size. pretty crazy stuff. At least it and Westroads continues to do kind of well. The money is definitely in the Village Pointe type place, outdoor malls with more high-end shops.

GIVE ME BACK MY CHILDHOOD, FATHER TIME!!!!

TAJ

shidoshi said:
The chain in SoCal that seemed amazing until Toys 'R Us came along was called Play Co. Toys. They finally filed for bankruptcy in 2001, but it seems like they were gone way before that.

Any Michigan GAFFERS used to go to the Livonia or Wonderland malls when they were open?

I remember standing outside of Babbages and watching a Panzer Dragoon video demo play ooover and ooover and over again.

I really miss being a kid. Fuck you all, fuck this thread. I'm going to go cry now. :/

I just remembered...
When I was college searching in '06, I looked at Rochester, NY. They have an abandomed subway system there.

Links to pics:
http://rocwiki.org/Abandoned_Subway
http://www.infiltration.org/transit-roch.html
http://www.railroad.net/articles/railfanning/rochestersubway/index.php
(This last one has detailed pictures of some station ruins, but they didn't go inside the tunnels to take high quality pics...)

Some pics:
Entrance to subway underground system
23jla52.jpg

Apparently, some of the train tunnels went through a mill race (now a library), so there are underground pools with waterfalls, and catwalks to walk on:
30v22hg.jpg
2hguvti.jpg

70fckj.jpg

an old aqueduct converted to subway tunnel that is now abandoned:
24gkniv.jpg

Apparently, the city is planning on converting the above portions I showed you into a museum walkway.

Phobophile said:
Oh man, the south suburbs of Chicago are fucking full of these types derelict relics of Cold War-era prosperity. Nowhere as affluent as they were 20 years ago, or longer if you're one of the south suburbs closer to Chicago city limits. What was once white flight turned into middle-class flight; everyone bailing out if they could afford it, regardless of race.
Really I live in the South Brubs and other then a couple areas everything seems pretty ok as far as middle class goes.

Though its getting a bit worse in some areas.

Anticitizen One said:
WDW is worse off than DL. They keep taking away rides and cutting park hours and entertainment while raising ticket prices!

At Magic Kingdom alone they got rid of 20,000 Leagues Under the sea (the submarine ride), The Skyway Cable Cars, most of the watercraft on the river (canoes, Kellboats, etc.) and they replaced Mr.toad with a lame pooh ride, replaced alien encounter with some stitch shit, and replaced timekeeper with some really lame monsters inc. show.

Park upkeep is at an all time low and it seems like the only new attractions the parks get now adays are all inexpensive cartoon tie-ins.

I heard the opposite. The place is hardly dying; it's still the most visited theme park in the world.

mollipen

AlteredBeast said:
I lived close to Crossroads when I was younger and saw its heyday, now the whole top half is offices, I believe.

Man, I used to love the old, dark, scary Crossroads so much. I remember, what was it, Youngtown? The two-story toy store they had there. I also remember the two-story Woolworths, I think it was, where you'd go down the escalator and the first thing you'd see was the pet department. It was weird, because the mall itself had no real lower level, yet a number of the shops had them.

Like what happened to the Center Mall (although I doubt that you have been in there, it has been pretty much dead for 15 years). My buddies and I would go the Center and go bowling and go to Younkers. When Younkers pulled out, so did everyone else.

I remember that I always wanted to go to the Center Mall, but my mother would never take me, because she didn't think there were any stores there that I'd want to go to. (She didn't understand the fascination I had with malls.) By the time I was able to go on my own, there was pretty much no reason to even go out of curiosity. I do remember once going to the bowling alley, though, while it was still there.

Even Oakview is getting trashy now adays. I went to Willa Cather when they were building Oakview and remember marvelling about its glass roof and sheer size. pretty crazy stuff. At least it and Westroads continues to do kind of well. The money is definitely in the Village Pointe type place, outdoor malls with more high-end shops.

Yeah, I remember when Oakview first opened, it was the big amazing new mall, and I wondered how big of a hit it was going to have on the Westroads. (Seems to be doing fine though.) Village Pointe is interesting, if not a bit underwhelming for what they could have done with the place. Of course, being a fan of downtown, part of me would also rather have seem them attempt to bring a similar kind of thing down there (even if it wouldn't make nearly as much sense).

Westroads, I think, is my favorite of them all, at least from what it used to be. Man... remember that big crazy clock that used to hang in the center area? Or the weird holes that were in front of the stores that let you look down to the lower level? And the AMC theater that felt like it had just been stuck into a hole in the wall. Man... that was just such a crazy place before all the renovation.

Not that you would probably know it, but there was like a tiny little shopping plaza right near where I grew up at about 57th & Ames. Main shop there was... Hesteads? Maybe something like that. I remember it closing up when I was young, and then a few friends and I found out that the back door was unlocked and we could sneak in and look around the entire multi-level plaza. No way I'd be brave (or stupid) enough to do it these days, but it was like a whole other world being in there as a kid, seeing all the remains of these shops and whatnot like I had survived the end of the world. I still remember that the bank there had this safe that I swear somebody had blown a hole into with explosives. *heh*

Anticitizen One said:

All good points and as i said it's in decline at present but it is far from dead or dying.

It still bugs me about the Fantasmic cutbacks though.

Toy Story Mania is still relatively new and awesome though.

I stayed at pop last year and seeing the building across the lake abandoned sucks. If they have sense they will make it into a value pet friendly hotel wih suites for the larger familys.

Gabroni

Banned
Apparently the St Louis Galleria mall is closing, I should probably go there at least once before I move to New York

Tonay

Banned
The Power Of Snap said:
Hey, we have a dead airport here

Mirabel.Jpg

mirabel-small-0039.jpg

Man, I'd love to look around inside that place, it'd be cool.

Then I would systematically destroy every window with the most ingenious means possible for each one and it'd be the best day ever.

shidoshi said:

I love this shit too. I've spent untold hours scouring flickr and urban exploration galleries for this kind of stuff. Every picture of every derelict structure hints at so many forgotten stories and memories. I really hate seeing old buildings torn down.

I live in a city where the economy is booming but there's still malls that were shut down due to newer ones near them...

2042966786_a1c9cec5af.jpg

It's sad that the malls are dying due to power centers, but in 20 years, power centers will be the ones dying.

Solo

TAJ said:
Man, that's nothing. There's a bus stop on one of the busiest streets in Los Angeles County, in a good area, that still has an ad for the "upcoming" theatrical release of National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets.

Thats not too bad. I took a train back in April of this year, and one side of it was painted with an advertisement for Spider-Man 2, coming soon in June 2004 :lol

Meadows

Banned
Entrance to one of the old Bunkers:

0926.jpg

Side entrance for another one:

1728.jpg

There's loads of local rumours about what was stored there. It's believed that it stored Biological/Chemical weapons for a while but I can't tell you whether that's true.

The place is called Birchwood, near Manchester and I got the pics from here.

Sanjuro

shidoshi said:

This. Children's Palace / Child's World was another interesting place. Not for exploration as much but the way the building was shaped. When they closed other businesses moved into a strange building shaped like a castle because at least around here they were attached to a strip mall. Do any of you live near one that still hasn't remodeled? There was on near me but the entire place did a remodeling overhaul some time ago. There *MIGHT* be one left at a plaza near me, I will need to check it out.

300464i.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom