• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Cells trailer - Castlevania meets permadeath, a vibrant pixel art "roguevania"

Xeroblade

Put 17 hours into this and finally beat the 2nd boss and immediately jumped back in, the game feels so good to play. Everyone buy it please.

1 last q: if find a blueprint of a weapon and "activate" it, I still gotta find or buy the weapon every time die or what? I see those items in the vessels at the start of the game but I can't interact.

KarmaCow

1 last q: if find a blueprint of a weapon and "activate" it, I still gotta find or buy the weapon every time die or what? I see those items in the vessels at the start of the game but I can't interact.

Yes. Unlocking a weapon adds it to the item pool that the game pulls from when generating weapon drops from enemies/chests/whatever. You can't choose a specific weapon, just take what the game offers to you in a run. The vessels in the starting area is a visual indicator of what you have unlocked.

Jhn

This looks so damn good. Any word on a PS4 version?
A quick google didn't catch anything worthwhile.

krishian

When you activate a blueprint, it basically just allows the item to spawn in the game, either as a drop or a shop item. The things at the start of the game just show what you've unlocked, you can't take items out of them :)

vinikun

Neo Member
Man so I can't make my own threads yet otherwise I would've for this game. Holy shit it's so good. It's one of those few indie titles that does it better than the source material they're borrowing from. Being able to cancel out of literally anything makes the combat incredibly fluid, and over the 15 hours I've played in just a few days, my skill at the game has gotten measurably better (could barely get past the first 2 levels initially, now I get through most of the game every run). Where most roguelikes I feel like I die out of sheer randomness most of the time, in this game I feel like your own skill is 90% of it.

I've been trying to get everyone I know into it, because seriously, MotionTwin deserves every sale of this game.

Z3M0G

Come on, Saucy. You cant post about a game like Dead Cells without GIFs

b65c58f7_8368070.jpg

giphy.gif

45DEED85106C128BC8C734E9CF7E5252FC0BC7AA

Q8UIc2L.gif

Yah, I must say I wasn't interested until I saw the gameplay itself... hot DAMN

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
This looks so damn good. Any word on a PS4 version?
A quick google didn't catch anything worthwhile.

They are in negotiations with all console makers, progress seems to be good but nothing could be elaborated beyond that.

Opened a cursed treasure with 25 cells and it didn't end well fml. I'll continue tomorrow. Game is pretty amazing but my fingers have to get used to the controls. Remapping hard punch (which has always been a shield so far for me) on LB worked pretty well. I also love that the roll has iframes.

KarmaCow

Does anyone else get significant lag when the Watcher goes for its body slam attack? The screen basically freezes for me after it telegraphs the attack and then skips ahead to after it's finished the attack without really showing the attack in motion. It makes it annoying to land a freeze on it.

So this game just keeps freezing on me. In the middle of fighting it'll just lock up. The sound keeps going but everything else is frozen. Is this a known issue?

Unlocked the upgrade that randomizes the weapon at start. Sounds pretty good.

I feel like the rolling move is a little sluggish and not on the same level of responsiveness as the rest of the controls.

KKRT00

A think this is the OT.

Btw anyone knows how exactly the oil works? It increases the fire damage or adds its own fire damage? Its essential to know if i should scale skill with fire damage or it doesnt matter really.

Game really needs more descriptive information about what some stuff do, like 'leaves cloud of poison' without any damage info ;/

Really loving this last update. The slow deliberate weapons makes it feel even more like a 2D souls game. I am godawful at this game though.

Man, this game feels amazing to play. Very addictive, challenging and fair. Every time you hit a bottleneck, just a few more games get you the extra skill, stats and knowledge to break through. Some very clever design going on here, supported by great art and sound/music.

Love it.

giphy.gif

This is just the sort of thing that screams "Summer indie addiction looming on the horizon" at me. I'm intrigued, but I'm impressed that they're so ballsy/rash to call out Castlevania and Souls games by name.

Wish it'd be on Vita, but I'll take PC.

poncle

Great game, can't really notice it's on early access, yet every patch manages to make it even better.

I've done/unlocked everything in the current patch, or so I think, there's some stuff that seem just a teaser:

- the huge door in the first level
- the npc in the sewers
- the locked door at the far right of the graveyard

Did anyone manage to find out how to get past them?

Maddrical

Seriously loving this game, haven't been so addicted to a roguelike in a long time. Only killed the first boss, I've had two really solid runs ruined by getting greedy and going for a cursed chest, only to die from it. Are there currently any curses aside from the 'kill 10 enemies to remove the 1-hit-death' curse? My most frustrating death so far was when I had a rapier that did 4x damage for 2x damage against, and about 4-5 damage & HP bonuses, only to jump into a pit full of those bat things and get destroyed by them. Rapier is rubbish against them and I had zero grenades to use.

Combat really is fantastic, my favourite three weapons are the pike, rapier & the broadsword. Only weapon I dislike is the hammer, though to be fair I think the only time I've ever received it is right at the start with no bonuses, I think if it had a couple of bonuses it could be quite strong. Definitely going to see it pick up some great sales numbers once the ports for handhelds comes out. I'll probably double dip for my Vita.
Hnnng, I had that ice bow blueprint drop last night but managed to die before handing it in. Really think it could be very useful.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I want this so badly but my better judgement is to wait for it to finally release - did they specify a target release date?

Castef

Banned
Game is simply majestic.

It is unbelievable how they nailed every single aspect of it. Even opening a door is part of the gameplay.

Wonderful.

Majukun

Game is simply majestic.

It is unbelievable how they nailed every single aspect of it. Even opening a door is part of the gameplay.

Wonderful.

only thing i don't like are the time doors,since they go against any instinct i have as a metroidvania character to explore every nook and cranny..so i basically have toi dedicate entire runs just to try to rush to them..as of now i've done the one in the ossarium,the one in the promenade of the damned and the one in the first toxic sewer

only beat the first boss for now,i took a break from it since it was starting to get a bit repetitive

Leezard

I made it to The Watcher twice but died both times. He has SO MUCH HP. Any tips for this guy? Good weapons to use on him or something?

I beat him the second time I got to him, just try to stack as much HP and Attack as possible and mash him to death. Getting +HP and +ATK on your special items and shield/secondary weapon makes it much much easier. I don't think the type of weapon is a big deal, a nice fast sword should be decent and the spear (Impaler) worked really well for me too.

I beat him the second time I got to him, just try to stack as much HP and Attack as possible and mash him to death. Getting +HP and +ATK on your special items and shield/secondary weapon makes it much much easier. I don't think the type of weapon is a big deal, a nice fast sword should be decent and the spear (Impaler) worked really well for me too.

Thanks, I'll try that. I usually end up with cheesy skill combinations (like magnet+fire grenades with elemental weaknesses too) when I get to that boss but those items aren't as useful there.

Also, this game is weirdly stuttery for me, which is getting kind of annoying and has cost me my life once. Known issue? Any workarounds?

Maddrical

Got to the Graveyard for the first time last night, then got destroyed before I even had time to heal once. Was a bit disappointing to see the same and modified assets used for the enemies in that level, a Graveyard of all places could have some really neat enemies. Had a pretty nice combo though, as my main weapon gave me 100% extra damage on burning enemies and my secondary weapon set them on fire so it worked pretty well. The rapier seems pretty OP though, with only a couple of damage upgrades I got pretty far without much trouble. I really want a IV-VI version to drop for me. Either that or the pike/spear which I just find really fun to use.

I bought Everspace in the Steam sale but can't convince myself to stop playing this damn game to give Everspace a proper shot. Just wanna keep going.

Also I thought I liked the change giving you stats at each store to buy, but in hindsight I've now chosen stats in 99% of the stores since the latest patch; I think I've only once bought a weapon 'coz I was desperate for the upgrade. I would rather stats become slightly more regular to find (+1 average per level) and remove them from the shop, maybe make shops a bit more expensive too, at least the early ones. Stats seem incredibly important for good runs though so I dunno, hard to balance.

Anyone know the maximum amount of health vials you can unlock? If it's 4 I might just dump the ~350 cells needed to unlock it into it in my next few runs so it's out of the way.

Exuro

Picked this up on a whim and man is this great. I'm loving that the melee weapons all have their own feel/rhythm and aren't simply different stats(opening stun hammer is great). Only beaten the first boss so far but I see myself spending a lot of time playing this.

bunkitz

This Steam Sale is my first, and this was the title I was most excited for. I was worried because it was still in Early Access, but holy shit, it was so worth it. I haven't even encountered any bugs yet. The game is so polished and plays so damn well. I love roguelikes and metroidvanias, so it's just perfect for me.

I'm glad to see a bunch of weapons in the previous posts that I haven't seen or unlocked yet in my own game. Looking forward to trying them out when I can!

I am usually very wary of early access, but aside from stuttering I really don't feel that "paper thin" quality that most early access games have where I feel like I'm pushing the limits of the game an hour in.

Recently I've been pleased with the item generation, as I can only remember one time where I've really been screwed - starting with a shield and bow, only finding other shield and bow drops through the ramparts, and getting an enemy filled chest. But even then, I sill made it to the ramparts!

Varvor

Been playing this gamw for past month thanks to this thread. Amazing games with amazing controls.

Due to random nature of gear spawn (which can be controlled via selective blueprint managment) can lead to very fresh and fun gameplay every time.

Both me and my bro own it in our steam libraries...so we would put game in large screen and take turns between very rekless attempts just to see how far and fast can you get when you play pure speed/suicide play..

AEREC

Bought and returned about half an hour in. The stuttering was driving my nuts. Looks like the devs are aware of it and I will buy it again once its fixed.

Applebite

Played it for an hour while listening to a podcast. Pretty good first impression, I think between all the big budget games I've secretly been wanting something like this. One thing that happened was that I got this electric whip, and when I noticed a little hole in the ground filled with water, I tried whipping to see if it would get electrified. It did. GOTY

Castef

Banned
only thing i don't like are the time doors,since they go against any instinct i have as a metroidvania character to explore every nook and cranny..so i basically have toi dedicate entire runs just to try to rush to them..as of now i've done the one in the ossarium,the one in the promenade of the damned and the one in the first toxic sewer

I like them because they double the way you may approach a game.

Like "This time I'm exploring, this time I'm running to unlock the doors".

gypsie

Bought and returned about half an hour in. The stuttering was driving my nuts. Looks like the devs are aware of it and I will buy it again once its fixed.

Is this just for certain pc's or am I just totally ignorant of it?

Top Bottom