• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 2: Off The Record |OT2|

Daigoro

played through the game over the weekend and beat the story.

i have to say, this game is pretty great. im enjoying it a lot more than vanilla DR2, and i liked vanilla a lot besides the TiR stuff.

the cutscenes and humor are wackier, there is more of everything to do, new bosses and survivors, etc. lots of fun.

Just picked this up off PSN for £7 thanks to the sale and extra Plus discount. Liking it more than vanilla DR2, Frank's a much more fun (and assholish) character. Kinda disappointed that they didn't change more, though. And having DLC for a slightly tweaked version of the original is bullshit. Especially fucking cheats DLC.

One question, does anyone know how to get survivor death scenes? I recall them being in the original, but here, whenever one dies, they just fall to the ground and that's it. I've seen a Youtube vid that shows death scenes from the files of the PC version, but I dunno if they were cut for some reason or another.

what reason is there to play this over vanilla DR2? I got both during the Steam sale for super cheap.

You get to play as Frank ;)

Think there are more weapon schematics, the story plays out differently and theres more of a sandbox free mode in this opposed to DR2's limited time of play.

Chinner

Banned
what reason is there to play this over vanilla DR2? I got both during the Steam sale for super cheap.

a) you play as frank west
b) the tone of the game matches the original more
c) better ending.
d) sandbox mode

but it's also got stupid babby bullshit in it too :(

all in end, DR2/OTR doesn't come anywhere close to the original DR. the worst crime is that DR is not on pc which means i am unable to sell my xbox :(

Jharp

I actually started a sandbox mode game, as I'm completely disinterested in the campaign, and... it's cool but the combat is really balls. I may be misremembering the original game, but I feel like combat was so much more fluid in that. Here it just feels way slow and sluggish, and the audio/visual feedback is so piss poor. It's been several years since I've played the first DR, but I remember it being so much more visceral (if you'll forgive me for using the naughty word) and satisfying. Am I wrong about that?

Gah I wish the original had a proper sandbox mode in it with no time limit.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Shame online's dead on PSN. Can't get the "kill five psychopaths" achievement. I JUST WANT THAT FROM YOUR STORY MODE, DUDE. YOU DON'T HAVE TO REJECT ME! I WON'T SKIP THE CUTSCENES! D:

Prodigal

Banned
So I'm playing vanilla DR2 and I'm trying to get all the hidden combo cards achievement...I have the scratch cards for laser sword, blambow and paddlesaw but when I try to examine the posters there's no prompt. I swear I've examined them before though. How do I turn these 3 scratch cards into combos? They're the last ones I need.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So, I've got both Vanilla and this one for PC Windows. The first DR is amongst my top5 new IPs this gen, I adored it and was sucked into the gameplay+story and played the game non-stop like only Dark Souls:ptDE and Mario Galaxy could this gen: loved the branching paths, the "new game plus" mechanics, time restrictions and save system.
Didn't feel the sequel at all and sadly shelved it after 4 hours.

If I'd have to give it another go, which I intend to, by choosing only one of the two, would you suggest going for vanilla or OTR?
Some tips to make the most out of the game?

Daigoro

So, I've got both Vanilla and this one for PC Windows. The first DR is amongst my top5 new IPs this gen, I adored it and was sucked into the gameplay+story and played the game non-stop like only Dark Souls:ptDE and Mario Galaxy could this gen: loved the branching paths, the "new game plus" mechanics, time restrictions and save system.
Didn't feel the sequel at all and sadly shelved it after 4 hours.

If I'd have to give it another go, which I intend to, by choosing only one of the two, would you suggest going for vanilla or OTR?
Some tips to make the most out of the game?

OTR by far for me. it's more over the top and campy, there is a new area and some bosses. there is no online multiplayer vs TK events that i completely hated. it has sandbox mode so you can just play without time restictions, and has single/co-op challenges to beat with different ranked medals to aquire.

if you are into getting achievements at all, this game has way more inventive stuff to do for the most part, but if you're a completionist it has one to kill 100,000 zombies. so that one blows.

as for tips, just play the story mode casually, then try some sandbox mode casually and then you can go back and play more seriously in either mode to go for story related achievements (some really fun and challenging things to do) or sandbox challenges. basically play until you hit lvl 50 and then you get serious to clean up the rest if you still want to.

OTR is a much better game than vanilla.

Sorry for the necro, but this game has nothing but random crashes stating "Dead Rising 2 OTR has stopped working..."

anyone had these issues, anyone fixed them or know how two? I can't play this game more than 15 minutes or less at a time before it crashes randomly, out of nowhere!!

finley83

Banned
If you have your Windows sound output set at 96khz, that's your problem. Take it down one notch at a time until the game starts up.

Fucking weird, I know, but it works.

Top Bottom