• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 4: Frank's Big Package coming to PS4.

Marcel

I thought Chuck wasn't great at first but but then that no charisma guy from DR3 showed up and Chuck's stock instantly went up.

Marcel

The internet hates everything, from Despacito, to TS latest single. Personally, try it out yourself. I know I would've missed tons of games if I followed internet instructions. :)

The whole inane "internet fans hate everything but I am the secret reasonable genius" thing doesn't really hold any water when you remember that for all the pandering to non-DR fans this game was sales poison and on discount a month after release.

Hesemonni

Banned
I was under the impression that the game was funded by MS and thus locked console platform on Xbone. That being said, I bought the game dirt cheap and am yet to play it.

RootCause

I was under the impression that the game was funded by MS and thus locked console platform on Xbone. That being said, I bought the game dirt cheap and am yet to play it.
That was 3. Pretty much the same thing that happened with Bayo 2. Games wouldn't have existed if it weren't for them.

So is the game actually poor or is this just a case of salty fans who didn't like the changes to a franchise they like?

It's mainly repetitive. All your doing is killing zombies and that's kinda it. They didn't substitute the timer for another interesting mechanic. If all you want is just to walk around killing zombies then this will be for you, but don't be surprised if you find yourself bored after the second act.

dmix90

I'll never understand this sentiment. The original has actually aged pretty badly as far as the shittier controls, horrible survivor AI, ridiculous area transition loading, awful conversation interface, etc. DR2 fixes all of that and adds some great new elements while still preserving the same formula as DR1.

I get why some people don't like DR3/DR4 for changing that formula, but DR2 basically perfected it.
I still like 2 just not as much as 1. Also played them both pretty much back to back on PC this year. There a few QoL changes even in PC version of DR1, like loading times and multiple save slots also controls might have felt better cause of rock solid framerate compared to truly original x360 version. I like to call it a clunky masterpiece.

Game was alright
Paid $30 at GameStop and got a free snow globe and got my moneys worth
If you get multiple of a weapon(forgot the name) you can pretty much breeze through the entire game and kill all bosses.

Skulldead

Out of curiosity, what makes this game so bad in comparison with the previous entries?

Someone can post the 50 min video that talk about nearly everything that went wrong with DR4. I've watch it quickly and this was a serious turn off for a fan of 1-2 like me.

Berordn

Why are we pretending DR3 isn't just as shit, again?

Because it still features the elements that the series is known for, even if it's toned down to the point of irrelevance by the endgame.

DR4, based on impressions and my own reactions to the footage I've seen, is a game without an identity after the timer is removed. The gaming community at large may not have liked the series for what it was, but they continued to not care after they changed it. I'm still morbidly curious about it, so I'll probably pick it up down the line, but in its current form there's just nothing about the game that draws me in.

Boy, that subtitle.

It's a dumb joke, which is totally Dead Rising, but it is a weirdly middle school dumb joke. It's not corny, it's just shitty.

bennibop

Really surprised by this announcement. I thought MS funded and published the game? Wasn't this revealed to be an X1 exclusive?

The word 'exclusive' was used by Microsoft during the reveal (the same as when Tomb raider was revealed by them and appears to be same with PUBG) but turns out was only ever a 12 month deal.

Jawmuncher

Better controls, no timer, runs pretty smooth, some fun weapons and mechs and a good checkpoint system.

I think this is the main issue with the game in a sense. There were a lot of good QoL improvements. But why said QoL improvements weren't transplanted into something more akin into the original formal is beyond me. I'm imagining a DR1 style game with the controls and such of 4 and it'd be great (Outside of needing some more melee moves).

I still say they took away more than they gave in the positives and I don't even hate DR4. There was still a lot that game could've done better. It definitely doesn't stand out as much as the previous games.

Why are we pretending DR3 isn't just as shit, again?

It was an attempt at bridging both styles (Older style with more mainstream accessibility). It's not my favorite but it's definitely not a terrible game. Though I basically rank the DR series from how they came out. They all got worse IMO. though 2 isn't as much as a drop of from 1 as 3 was to 2.

Not sure how this will perform at $50, even with all the content

It'll probably at least get the game past 1 million total but that'll probably be it. It'll be fighting agaisn't a lot of better titles again this holiday and missing black friday most will just ignore it again.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I had fun with Dead Rising 4... I cannot recommend Dead Rising 4 to anyone.

I think I have Stockholm Syndrome with this series now... Get just enough enjoyment out of it that I keep coming back, dissuade friends from making the same mistake.

Wouldn't a checkpoint system ruin the survival aspect of planning the safest routes? Or is that also just done away with in favor of mech-suits and gimmicky weapons?

poodaddy

Gold Member
What features distinguish this port from the x1 port? I see a cammy costume there, are we getting another side mode that's better than the main game like Dead Rising 3's?

Keinning

Game is crap but enjoy it i guess PS4 owners?
The biggest waste of money in gaming history (making this a timed exclusive) can now be fully... played by you guys.
Everyone gets to be disappointed now!

That's strange.

4 is coming but 3 stays Xbox exclusive?

As strange as Street Fighter IV on xbox but V staying exclusive to PS4

And exactly the same case of sony/microsoft actually putting money on the development for both

You may like or not like the timer, which will impact your enjoyment of the series as a whole.

Oh yeah im definitely aware of the timers so thats why I held off on Dead Rising 1 and 2. I dont wanna feel rushed, just wanna take my time exploring the map and making crazy weapons to kill zombies with!

Pilgrimzero

Out of curiosity, what makes this game so bad in comparison with the previous entries?

It's not just killing zombies it's killing them en masse. There is zero sense of danger. It gets very repetitive since it's basically walk from place to place as overpowered zombie slayer.

A lot like 3 except even more godly.

Top Bottom