• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 4: Frank's Big Package coming to PS4.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I loved Dead Rising 1 and 2, even like 3 for the most part but 4 was awful. Didn't even end up finishing, such at let down.

Fukuzatsu

Are we pretending 70 range is bad now? The user score is irrelevant, we've seen how BOTW was trolled.

70 isn't 'bad' per se, but it's bad considering the sort of scores 'good' games tend to get as a result of review score inflation (let's say, 80 or 85+).

Like, when a game is in the 50s or 60s, I can only assume it has some dire technical problem that makes it very dysfunctional, or is just otherwise some variation of hot mess. Getting a 70 means it's either very boring for what it is, is half-decent but runs like trash, or some other combination of 'kind-of okay' and 'god-awful'.

8bit

Knows the Score
If this sells bad on PS4 I don't see them putting Dead Rising 5 on PS4 too

There's not going to be a Dead Rising 5 any time soon if ever. Anyway, IIRC Blue Capcom are fucking up Ghosts 'n' Goblins next.

I'm a huge DR1&2 fan. Never played 3 because no XBO. I am very tempted to get this even though many aspects of it look like a mockery of the series.

Maybe when it's in bargain bins.

3 is not bad, it ditches the schlock of the first 2 in favour of a more Carpenterish theme, and it mostly works. 4 is a mess though.

Canucked

I somehow missed there even was a 4. The Last I heard was the capcom themed update to 3....

...I'm losing touch with the gaming world.

Would way rather have had DR3, I at least have some friends who don't have PC that I would have bought it again to play co-op story mode with. DR4 on the other hand is a hard pass.

EmiPrime

Even if you hate the timer and the challenge of DR1 this game is bad. It's not a good zombie killing game (DR3 does that part way better) and the story is absolute toilet.

Shanaynay

Oh yeah im definitely aware of the timers so thats why I held off on Dead Rising 1 and 2. I dont wanna feel rushed, just wanna take my time exploring the map and making crazy weapons to kill zombies with!

From personal experience with the serie, feeling rushed due to the timer is the last thing you need to worry about and it isn't because "i know the ins and out" but at times you will be stuck with waiting 7-10+ in-game hours until the next major objectives, thats even if you do everything that needs to be done at the time.

About DR4 i didn't really look at any of the videos surrounding it but i've been wanting to play a new DR game for a while, if it end up being mediocre well...at least i can expect some fun time with my wife in coop regardless at least.

I replayed both games via the remasters when they were released. Loading is still a bigger problem in DR1 due to the far higher frequency of it. The conversation issue is bad when just speaking with survivors in general, not just with regard to missing an Otis call. You are stuck waiting while the conversation progresses far slower than anyone would normally speak. I found both the controls and collision detection worse in DR1. You didn't address the frustrating brain-dead survivor AI either which is vastly improved in DR2.
Especially between the re-releases, DR1 still has the edge over 2 concerning technical downtime be it on consoles or PC. In fact: loading times on PC even without a SSD typically last no more than a second or two on many a modest rig, so the transition complaint is rendered moot when at this point in time it can be brute-forced much more easily than 2's poorly optimized engine. The quantity difference for transitions between both games is also negligible. Having to wait for the conversation to continue (which wasn't even that slow) isn't much more than a tiny nuisance including during fresh-save Saint runs, barring less than a handful of instances where it's amped up for comedic purpose like two specific elderly people in both games. There's no debate about whether the controls are inferior in 2 when a) there's factually more input delay on top of generally lengthier animations and b) a number of special moves are less consistent to pull off due to the aforementioned, previously non-existent button overlap.

I didn't bring up A.I. because that matter speaks to itself. The survivors aren't really smarter however, just vastly overpowered.

3 is not bad, it ditches the schlock of the first 2 in favour of a more Carpenterish theme, and it mostly works. 4 is a mess though.
It really doesn't work when the game regularly goes back and forth on what tone (in extremes) the writers wanted it to hit. The story as well as the characters came off as heavily bipolar as a result, and that's ignoring the barrage of negative quips about player actions like dressing up funny or the ones various NPC's (including friendlies) hurl towards Nick sucking out what little fun remained in the script.

GrayFoxPL

No one wants this game Capcom.

6Ko7GpT.gif

now that this IP is apparently on its last legs, does anyone think MS might make an offer to buy it from Capcom? its has Xbox brand recognition and they could probably make a lowball bid for it.

watdaeff4

now that this IP is apparently on its last legs, does anyone think MS might make an offer to buy it from Capcom? its has Xbox brand recognition and they could probably make a lowball bid for it.

Why would they? As you said the IP is on its last legs; plus who would MS actually have to make a new game under this IP?

This isn't a Gears situation.

I could be wrong, but I just don't see that happening.

Marcel

I'm gonna guess (like a certain notable western RPG franchise with a bad 4th entry) Capcom will put it on the shelf and let the stink fade away for a few years instead of selling it off.

BigEmil

Didn't Phil Spencer say something that he doesn't like stuff like that for exclusive

watdaeff4

Didn't Phil Spencer say something that he doesn't like stuff like that for exclusive

The person you are replying to is hypothesizing MS buys the IP outright. To my knowledge, Spencer has never addressed "not liking that"

His statement was more along the lines he doesn't like marketing deals that leads to exclusive content.
which of course was in reference to a deal Sony had

dugdug

Banned
Literally just got the XB1 version, and, if you just don't think of the old games, it's really not *that* bad.

It's impossible to ignore the history, but, if you just pretend it isn't called Dead Rising 4, there's some fun to be had.

le.phat

Literally just got the XB1 version, and, if you just don't think of the old games, it's really not *that* bad.

It's impossible to ignore the history, but, if you just pretend it isn't called Dead Rising 4, there's some fun to be had.

"not *THAT* bad" is such a compelling arguement for me to invest time and money into this game. Great stuff.

MYeager

I enjoyed all the Dead Risings, including this one. I prefer the style of one and two and the cases, but had fun with 3 and 4.

Worth it for the mini-golf.

Dragun619

Why would MS even be interested in a dying IP when can just make a new & better IP with zombies instead?

At least with Cacpom, there's some value in keeping Frank West as a another Capcom staple character for their VS, Puzzle, or App games. Not really much incentive or value for MS to buy it.

Keinning

"not *THAT* bad" is such a compelling arguement for me to invest time and money into this game. Great stuff.

"dead rising 4: it's better than mighty no 9 which was better than nothing"

and even then i still have to ponder if it is better than MN9 indeed

gafneo

Banned
I told people countless times who pretended to hate this game over fanboyism that it was going multiplat. What do you know? It looks like my first grade guessing skills paid off.

Why would they? As you said the IP is on its last legs; plus who would MS actually have to make a new game under this IP?

This isn't a Gears situation.

I could be wrong, but I just don't see that happening.

MS is desperate for IP at this moment and if Capcom does want to shelve the franchise it might be an option. also, isn't Capcom kinda in the shits right now? an influx of cash might help them out a bit.

as for the developer MS could just do what it always does and farm out to a third party.

Why would MS even be interested in a dying IP when can just make a new & better IP with zombies instead?

At least with Cacpom, there's some value in keeping Frank West as a another Capcom staple character for their VS, Puzzle, or App games. Not really much incentive or value for MS to buy it.

as we've seen for years MS isn't really the creative type. if first party developers can't have the type of freedom to experiment with "new & better IP" then this is the other option and they have done it before with buying Gears, Halo and Minecraft.

you make a good second point which is what really matters i guess. does Capcom see a future where DR is a vital franchise in its library.

I told people countless times who pretended to hate this game over fanboyism that it was going multiplat. What do you know? It looks like my first grade guessing skills paid off.
yea this thread is filled with people excited to play dead rising 4

Top Bottom