• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 4 is a 1-year timed exclusive for MS

Chobel

I guess I can't argue that, they did expect a ridiculous amount of sales for the first one so they do overestimate it. But I'd like to think they learned to keep their expectations in check after TR1. Especially after TRDE had a 69% sales split for PS4 in the UK and probably similar in US.

Most likely MS convinced them that they're gonna promote TR2 as UC4 killer and maybe mass bundling, however the bad PR and UC4 delay killed all MS/SE plans about marketing.

That's SE saying that (Phil Rogers is CEO of SE), not CD, but you're right about SE.

The thing is with that comment you just posted, which you cut off..

"It becomes the most important thing. We’re about growing our IP, this is a long-term decision."

From what I can take from that, he's not talking about TR2 he's talking about the actual IP. It sounds like he's expecting xbox people to buy the game because it's exclusive, then become a fan of the franchise and buy future sequels. And hoping PS4 people will buy future sequels aswell if they're date and date. Technically the IP would have grown, just TR2 wouldn't have. So I think, unless you have data of everyone who bought TR2 which only MS and SE will, it's too early to state it didn't help grow the IP as fact.. Not that I think it will, so IMO it's a stupid move but coming from this Rogers guy, from what we're seeing from him I'm not surprised he thinks like that.

From what I can find, all CD has said is MS will help them make the best game they can make in similar words or another. Which they did make a good game...though I'm not sure what MS involvement has to do with that.

Apologies about the quote, I thought he's CD guy. But my point still stands:
1) XBox guys didn't buy TR2, the number are too low. And before "only MS/SE knows", TR2 is SP game which is popular outside US, so you have one chance to sell big which is launch, and the probability of good legs are really really low. And even worse there's no mainstream bundle for it.

2) PC at best is gonna match the the sales of TR (2013)

3) PS4 sales are gonna be bad, and because this is story driven franchise where you need to play all games, the sales of the sequel will suffer.

In other words, growing the IP is not happening.

So..SE was in a really bad position and didn't like the deal, and to try and fix this....they uhh... make the deal even worse? 6 months is bad enough, but a whole year is just dead in the water with how fast people drop and forget about 99% of games. That makes no sense. Then again they apparently thought exclusive for the game would make it sell more/bigger.. so who knows what goes through this guys mind.

I don't believe that rumor, but let's assume it's true. Why would SE do such stupid decision? It's simple, because they thought it's actually better for them. SE is business and everything they do is about increasing profits, they aren't doing these decisions without thinking.

Now you ask: Why? What do they gain? I can throw some possible scenarios:
1) MS payed them for the 2nd delay, enough to cover the lost sales of PS4.
2) The PR was so bad, that they needed something to create buzz and remove the negativity, enough for them to sacrifice PS4 sales but at the same time Xbox/PC sales improve.
3) UC4 was coming around the same time as TR2 PS4 version, so PS4 sales are already fucked.

But like I said, I don't believe this rumor, I think it was MS who did this decision. Why? Because many people were waiting for PS4/PC version anyway, but if you announce PS4 is 12 months later, people most likely find that a huge ass period and just get XB1 version.

Was it? I saw Frankie's comments in the context of the games sales, figured it was sold through... Really dodgy by Frankie there then.

We know it did around 5 million shipped through estimates. And when Frankie was asked about whether it's sold-through or not, he just ignored all these posts.

Fuck, but I can't wait a year. It's literally one of my favorite series. I either re-buy an Xbox One or update to Windows 10 and take a risk on the Microsoft Store.

wapplew

MS have so much money, use some to build more studios make your own games instead of wasting on time exclusive deal!
In house studio is the biggest weakness for Xbox, fix that shit, more teraflops are not going to fix that.

Top Bottom