• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising, Okami, MH: Freedom + more sales results/predictions from Capcom IR.

traveler

Not Wario
I realize that neither amount is anything to brag about. It's just the fact that the best game I've played this year was outsold by (albeit 10,000) the sequel to such a generic and crappy action game. (Played the first. Hated it. Haven't played the sequel.)

Defuser

rage1973 said:
That's ok as long as DMC 4 is ported to 360 as well. Only the hardcore fanboys would not want good games spread across all platforms.
Keep dreaming,then whats the use of multiple consoles if every good game goes multi?

Zynx

C- Warrior said:
Keep in mind their profit ratios for Japan is high. Due to the increased price of games over there and no tariff charges etc., Capcom makes about more than 2x's amount net profit from a single unit sold in Japan (domestic) than they do overseas.
Wow, I knew profits were higher on domestic sales (the prices are 6900+yen, for goodness sakes), but double = serious margins. That means every single unit sold in Japan = 2 anywhere else for profits! Whoa!

Segata Sanshiro said:
It's the new Battle Network game. As such, the prediction seems about right.
Man, I'm rather ticked at the 3 versions. Even the past 2-version MMBN's did things wrong. In Nintendogs (their inspiration?), you can get every breed. In Pokemon, you can get every Pokemon in the same game, you just need trading. But in MMBN, you can't get every Style/Soul/Chip/NaviCust piece in a single game even if you trade. And now 3 versions? The only way having more versions will benefit sales is if you think the same customer will buy more than one version. Are MMBN buyers such...suckers?

jarrod

Banned
Zynx said:
Wow, I knew profits were higher on domestic sales (the prices are 6900+yen, for goodness sakes), but double = serious margins. That means every single unit sold in Japan = 2 anywhere else for profits! Whoa!
You'd think that'd translate to more Wii/DS support... but somehow it doesn't. :/

Peeking through the IR materials, it also seems the Capcom Studio 8 (USA) isn't actually shutting down like Clover, but is rather suspending operations while it reorganizes it's R&D structure.... maybe we'll see Street Fighter 4 after all?

Zynx said:

If you look at unit solds per geographic region (which Capcom lists out) you'll notice that despite selling many many many more units in America -- they actually still made more / revenue / net/operting profit in Japan than in the United States.

The exact numbers escape me, but their operating profit was rougly 950 million yen in america, but even though fewer units were sold in japan, their operting profit was about 1500 million yen. Nobody is going to say 950 million yen is insignificant, but bottom line Capcom would rather have a million seller in Japan than one in the United States. I guess the only reason they are focusing to worldwise sales is because they are slowy getting better and better on maximizing and streamlining overseas efforts for increased cash flow, and that the fact that you know -- Japanese consumers are shit when it comes to you know -- REAL ****in' games they want to start early and establishing their brand overseas so when Japan is totally useless, they [capcom] aren't screwed.

PS: Capcom lists Devil Kings 2 (sengoku basara 2) has a success in Japan with 300,000.

As again, Devil Kings 2's sales of 300,000 in Japan probably (in terms revenue) means as much if not slightly more than Dead Rising's 500,000 in the USA.

But again, I don't want people thinking that means overseas sales are insignificant, in fact -- the major theme of that IR report is the increasing effort, attention and positive finicial backing from overseas markets.

Top Bottom