• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

tass0

Banned
REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Visceral Games, an Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS) studio announced today that the award-winning Dead Space™ franchise will continue to frighten gamers with its stunning sequel, Dead Space 2. Hero Isaac Clarke returns for another heart-pounding adventure, taking the fight to the Necromorphs in this thrilling action-horror experience. New tools to gruesomely slice and dismember the Necromorphs complement Isaac's signature Plasma Cutter, empowering him as he meets new characters, explores epic Zero-G environments, and fights against a relentless necromorph onslaught. Survival isn't the only thing on Isaac's mind in Dead Space 2 – this time, he calls the shots.

“Like so many gamers worldwide, we love the Dead Space franchise and are very excited to announce a new game in the series,” said Nick Earl, Senior VP and Group General Manager at EA. “Visceral Games is quickly becoming known for delivering high-quality, action-packed games. Dead Space 2 is on target to deliver a jaw-dropping experience gamers won’t soon forget.”

“We’re thrilled to jump back into the series, making the next chapter in Isaac’s journey. The infection continues to spread throughout space and our hero Isaac Clarke is the only person able to contain it. There are still loads of necromorphs that need killing!” said Steve Papoutsis, Executive Producer of Dead Space 2. “In Dead Space 2, not everything is exactly as it seems. Expect plot twists that will surprise you and a huge cast of twisted, disgusting monsters that are sure to scare the daylights out of you.”

Originally launched in 2008, Dead Space quickly became one of EA’s top rated wholly-owned intellectual properties. With close to 100 industry awards and an average critic score of 89*, Dead Space became a hit with horror and videogame fans worldwide. In 2009, EA launched Dead Space Extraction, a prequel to the original Dead Space that expanded the fiction and brought the franchise to a new audience base.

Dead Space 2 is being developed for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system and on PC. This product has not yet been rated by ESRB or PEGI. Follow us on twitter at: www.twitter.com/isaacclarke. Become a fan on Facebook at www.facebook.com/deadspace. For additional information and news, visit www.deadspacegame.com.

* According to Gamerankings.com and Metacritic.com

Fuck yes.

Akia

Uncapped and Visceral baby.

Although this was in the other rumor thread, it totally deserved its own.

GWX

I hope they using another engine, or AT LEAST the same one but with MSAA support now.

Seriously.

Blablurn

didn't like the first game when it got announced. one yea later, i bought it for 15€. had a pretty good time with it. didn't expect that. looking forward to the next chapter.

MrPliskin

Banned
Shurs said:
Will this one sell well?

If there is any justice in the world, then yes, considering the firs title was one of the best of the generation thus far.

Honestly though, does it really matter? If it's successful enough to generate a profit for EA, who the fuck cares if it does gangbusters or not? In fact, I'd rather it NOT do Halo / MW2 numbers, because then we get fucking bombarded with this shit.

Fuck sales, success and profitibility is all that matters, not swinging your dick around.

(BTW Shurs, I'm not directing this at you :p Just sales-age in general, I find it overrated and nothing more than console-fodder).

WickedLaharl said:
hopefully it has co-op.

Hopefully not.

kinggroin

Banned
Great news! hopefully the sequel is a bit tighter/focused. the first game ran way too long imo; killing a lot o the fear you develop.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
WickedLaharl said:
hopefully it has co-op.
This. Split-screen coop so Gaf can cry while I enjoy the game for 100 hours straight with my brother (like that other horror game).

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Deepack said:
The protagonist is Isaac?

Ok...
This is what they want you to believe.
After you beat the game, the radio will say "No, Isaac. You are the Necormorph"
And then Isaac was a lurker.

No music cues when enemies are about to attack. Then you will have a scary game. Depressureized sections were the freakiest for this reason.

Lots and lots of good ideas in the game, but it needs the scary to hold it together.

Shurs said:
Don't know if I like the sound of that.

"Isaac, thanks for fixing the plumbing on the medical deck. But now the pipes are frozen up on the bridge, which means I still can't flush this goddamn toilet! Can you hop on over and see what you can do?"

"You can fuck right off! I call the shots now. Have you fucking seen the shit going on out there?!"

I loved Dead Space. Great to finally get the confirmation. I'd gladly take more of the same.

MrPliskin

Banned
Brazil said:
This. Split-screen coop so Gaf can cry while I enjoy the game for 100 hours straight with my brother (like that other horror game).

If it does have Co-op, hopefully it's completely separate from the story, in each and every way. I do not want another RE5.

Survival Horror is supposed to be scary, and the necessity of a partner al a RE5 breaks the fear completely.

SP should be SP. Period.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Troidal said:
If Dead Space 2 gets like Uncharted 2 improvements....hot damnnnn
Can't wait to play Space Plunder with Armored Guys versus teh Nercomorphs, with each team trying to get the Marker into their chest.

Denzar

Shurs said:
Don't know if I like the sound of that.

Yeah, me neither.

Jocchan said:

Really? Never heard of that.

Also, spoilers.

LiK said:
necromorph version
:p

Now, that would be turning it on it's head and giving us something new.

Amneisac

I finally picked this up on PC for $14.99 as part of one of those Holiday Steam deals. I've definitely enjoyed it. I have finished it yet because I've been playing about 6 other games at the same time (Far Cry 2, RE5, GRID, Sonic Chronicles, Ghostbusters, Monkey Island:SE, and KOTOR for PC).

Definitely could get into a sequel though.

Jocchan said:

And he will facepalm, don't forget the facepalm.

onken

Got pretty sick of it after getting the platinum, but yeah I would definitely buy the sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom