• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

feel

YES!! plz don't suck like so many sequels to great surprise AAA games do...

And no really hard mini-games in the path of the story please.. I played on Hard for a better survival horror experience, but the asteroid shooting sequence almost made me quit playing.

edit- Would welcome a coop mode, but just if it's a Isaac clone that pops up only when playing coop. Don't want no campaign experience tailored for coop, or an AI companion when in singleplayer solo. Just make the game exactly the same as single-player, only with the ability to do it with 2 players, and increased difficulty.

This is what they want you to believe.
After you beat the game, the radio will say "No, Isaac. You are the Necormorph"
And then Isaac was a lurker.
Deepack said:
Now, that would be turning it on it's head and giving us something new.

Nah, he'd be a Slasher. Lurkers are baby Necromorphs with tiny feet, they couldn't use the Boot of God.

Actually, I wonder what playing as a Necromorph would be like. It'd probably be look like sunshines and rainbows and you'd be giving smiling people hugs while they giggle and run around with you. Meanwhile, underneath the happy music there are muffled sounds of screaming and gunshots.

Relaxed Muscle said:
And he will facepalm, don't forget the facepalm.

5fopeg.jpg

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
EmCeeGramr said:
Nah, he'd be a Slasher. Lurkers are baby Necromorphs with tiny feet, they couldn't use the Boot of God.
thatsthejoke.jpg :p

scitek

Not really happy to see Isaac returning, to be honest. Having a silent protagonist in a third-person adventure really took me out of the experience a lot of times. He would see these people being murdered right in front of him, and...nothing. I dunno, having the characters you played as in Extraction reacting to what was going on around them felt much more natural to me.

Loudninja

scitek said:
Not really happy to see Isaac returning, to be honest. Having a silent protagonist in a third-person adventure really took me out of the experience a lot of times. He would see these people being murdered right in front of him, and...nothing. I dunno, having the characters you played as in Extraction reacting to what was going on around them felt much more natural to me.

Well snice he is calling the shots he should be able to talk now. ;)

VAIL said:
No Wii, no sale.

i'm sure the execs at EA are crying their eyes out after seeing posts such as this.

edit: oh and along with co-op i'm also crossing my fingers for a MP component as well.

Loved the first one recently, got perfect 1000 point achievement for it. :D

I'll get through Extraction in time for 2. Yay! Great games, hopefully more people take note.

ethelred

WickedLaharl said:
i'm sure the execs at EA are crying their eyes out after seeing posts such as this.

You never know. Getting the 9,000 people who bought Extraction on board for Dead Space 2 could be the difference between profit and loss for this game. Besides, Wii games are much cheaper than PS3/360 games so the port would probably pay for itself with a 9k sellthrough.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
ethelred said:
You never know. Getting the 9,000 people who bought Extraction on board for Dead Space 2 could be the difference between profit and loss for this game. Besides, Wii games are much cheaper than PS3/360 games so the port would probably pay for itself with a 9k sellthrough.
But then again those 9000 people could be the same people who already bought the original Dead Space and happened to have a Wii, considering EA's ridiculous outing about them wanting to test the multiple console ownership audience.
Or not. Or something in-between :p

JimiNutz

Banned
Dead Space was my favourite game of last year.
Personally I didn't find it too repetitive on my first play through but I noticed the criticism a lot more on my second go around, hopefully this issue is addressed for the sequel.
A sequel is still near the top of my most anticipated games list along with RAGE.

VAIL

WickedLaharl said:

edit: oh and along with co-op i'm also crossing my fingers for a MP component as well.

I'm sure they are too, I'm sure Wii will get whatever they decide to half-assedly spin it off into, it's a shame because extraction actually turned out to be an enjoyable game in it's own right.

Sipowicz

Banned
yessss

EA have been on fire lately. Getting this, C&C4, Bad Company 2 and Mass Effect 2

VAIL said:
I'm sure they are too, I'm sure Wii will get whatever they decide to half-assedly spin it off into, it's a shame because extraction actually turned out to be an enjoyable game in it's own right.

a gimped port could sell better than a short, inferior arcade game made by a shovelware developer

but neither option is a particularly good one. just get this on xbox, ps3 or pc

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Awesome! First game was a favorite of mine. I hope this one has 16 player coop through the campaign and also call signs for your teammates such as "dutch oven" and "hot box"

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Few things i would like to see from a sequel.
- Quick Turn
- more Melee options
- Don't try to reinvent itself.

The first game is definitely in my top 3 fav games of this gen. Can't wait to see what's in store.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Nice to see it's finally official. Dead Space is one of my favorite games I played this year.

Also, here's the ad thing from the official Dead Space twitter for those who haven't seen it:

2a011d3.jpg

Someone translated the glyphs and they say: "The nightmare is over but it will not end"

The first one was a late buy, but I'm in it for day one with this one. I hope they mix up the gameplay elements a little more with this one.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I am still playing through Dead Space on the PC and am on the last chapter. I've noticed some stuff that is approaching spoilers in this thread, so I'll just say I've enjoyed the first game very much so far and eagerly await its sequel.

And with that, I am NEVER LOOKING AT THIS THREAD AGAIN SO DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT ME BEHIND MY BACK.

Dascu

dark10x said:
I certainly hope it does.

System Shock 2 > Dead Space

System Shock 2 had CO-OP (an excellent CO-OP mode even).
Same here.

I'd love online co-op for a sequel. Even if it would turn out to be poor, we still have the original to play. Besides, they do need a new hook. They can't exactly just copy DS1's gameplay and put it in a new space ship.

McLovin

Day 1 baby!!! I totally want to do my 3rd playthrough the first one but I'm waiting on a surround sound system I want to get.

Dascu

140.85 said:
Co-op in my Dead Space? NO THANK YOU

What is it with you people?
That's just the thing. You've already got Dead Space 1. If they fuck up Dead Space 2 with something like co-op, you could just safely ignore it. I think they've earned the liberty to experiment a little with the gameplay. They can't retroactively ruin the original.

Awesome news that it finally got confirmed. Really liked the first one and I can't wait to see where they're going with the sequel.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
This sounds like a Rambo 2 kind of thing. Not sure that's good. I would've preferred it if they used a different protagonist and didn't try to make Isaac into some weird lone hero out to save the universe.

I'm hoping Dead Space 2 involves
the Church of Unitology's Mausoleum Ships and the fairly obvious inference that it was Isaac's absentee father who designed them
. I think it's pretty reasonable to expect that this will be the case. I doubt that
his mom
will get involved, but you never know, and the hallucinations make anything possible as far as that's concerned, and are frankly a great excuse to mix RE-style biohorror with Silent Hill-style uncanny valley/psychological horror into the same game. I'm still interested to learn more about the overall story/mythology of the games, and of course I can't wait to see how they improve on the first game. So so pumped.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Dascu said:
That's just the thing. You've already got Dead Space 1. If they fuck up Dead Space 2 with something like co-op, you could just safely ignore it. I think they've earned the liberty to experiment a little with the gameplay. They can't retroactively ruin the original.

I was referring to the property not just the first game. Oh sure, yeah. Let them go wild and if they ruin the isolation and claustrophobia that made the first one great, hey - I can just dust off a game I'VE ALREADY PLAYED. This logic boggles my mind.

I'm all for experimentation and trying new things with tired franchises, but there's a time and a place for it. The core of DS is in no need of major revisions a la RE4 -> RE5. Nor is it welcome EA!

spons

Gold Member
Survival isn't the only thing on Isaac's mind in Dead Space 2 – this time, he calls the shots.
Dead Space 2 becomes a casual shooter to boost sales. Guess I'll skip this one.

Dascu

140.85 said:
I was referring to the property not just the first game. Oh sure, yeah. Let them go wild and if they ruin the isolation and claustrophobia that made the first one great, hey - I can just dust off a game I'VE ALREADY PLAYED. This logic boggles my mind.

I'm all for experimentation and trying new things with tired franchises, but there's a time and a place for it. The core of DS is in no need of major revisions a la RE4 -> RE5. Nor is it welcome EA!
As dark10x had already referred to: System Shock 2.

Just because RE5 killed what remained of the horror in the RE franchise, doesn't mean that co-op automatically ruins horror games.

Lost Fragment said:
Someone translated the glyphs and they say: "The nightmare is over but it will not end"
that doesn't make any sense. how can it 'not end' when it is already 'over?'

I understand what they're trying to say, but that's different from what they said.

There is might be co-op in this DS? AWESOME

It won't be perfect horror, but it could make for some interesting experiences and some serious scares. It could be more tension focused when watching a partners back than horror focused.

This sounds interesting.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Guy LeDouche said:
that doesn't make any sense. how can it 'not end' when it is already 'over?'

I understand what they're trying to say, but that's different from what they said.

I'm guessing it means in Dead Space 2 Issac is mindfucked from all the shit he went through or something.

Haeleos

Letters said:
edit- Would welcome a coop mode, but just if it's a Isaac clone that pops up only when playing coop. Don't want no campaign experience tailored for coop, or an AI companion when in singleplayer solo. Just make the game exactly the same as single-player, only with the ability to do it with 2 players, and increased difficulty.

Not once did my friend and I question why there was a second Duke Nukem running around in co-op.

Sagitario

How many chapters are in the first game? I need to finish that and it has been months since I last played it [I'm not a fan of horror games]... I think I was in chapter 4...

First off, FUCK YES! Loved the original Dead Space. One of my favorite titles of this gen. So glad it's getting a sequel.

And as for the plot, if you ask me, it sorta sounds like this is gonna be what Aliens was to the original Alien. As in, in the first game, an alien species is brought aboard a ship and all hell lets loose. And now in the second, the fight is being brought TO the aliens...maybe on a planet?

Couldn't be home planet though as I'm pretty sure the original Marker was found on Earth...hmm...

Either way, bring it on. Co-op or not (I'd prefer not). More Dead Space can't be a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom