• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

Mithos

Stantron said:
- I got the refurbished plasma cutter from DS1 but it seems exactly like the one you start out with in DS2. Is there any difference?
IS this only for the US-version and on certain platforms, because I didn't get this one on PS3 and in Europe, even though I had played and had a savegame from Dead Space 1 on the PS3 when starting Dead Space 2.

razorman

TenshiOni said:
Double-dipped and bought the PC version off of Steam yesterday (can't beat $15!).

D3DOverrider + V-sync disabled + 1080p = GLORIOUS 60fps constantly.

The people in charge of the PC port of this game over at Visceral are goddamn wizards. Weird mouse issues with the first Dead Space aside (thank you, controller support), the PC versions of Dead Space always run so smoothly for me. Great optimization.

I double dipped on this as well thanks to the steam sale. The console version was impressive enough, but I am totally blown away on PC. One of the best looking games I've ever played.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
My only complaint about the PC port is that Vsync locks the frame rate at 30FPS (unless I missed something). My rig could do 60fps with no problem, so it would be nice if it locked at that or had the option of limiting it at 30 or 60. Thankfully I haven't witnessed any tearing yet with it unlocked, but I'm getting upwards of 100 at times.

I could stop being lazy and use a third party program, but still.

1-D_FTW

Snuggler said:
My only complaint about the PC port is that Vsync locks the frame rate at 30FPS (unless I missed something). My rig could do 60fps with no problem, so it would be nice if it locked at that or had the option of limiting it at 30 or 60. Thankfully I haven't witnessed any tearing yet with it unlocked, but I'm getting upwards of 100 at times.

I could stop being lazy and use a third party program, but still.

At least you know what you need to do. Just bite the bullet and install D3D. It's well worth the 5 minutes it'll take you.

Gvaz

Banned
codecow said:
I'll pass that along, they'll be stoked. We're glad you like it.
It's a really good, though I don't personally agree with the voice acting choice. I liked it when he was a silent character and looked older.

One thing I wish for DS3 is:
- less "jump" scares
- more tension (like Amnesia scary, or Eternal Darkness scary)
- fix your broken ingame vsync (two games now? come on son)
- have the PC version have much higher resolution textures and graphics options. Go all out with the lighting and design and tone it down for the consoles, instead of designing for the consoles then porting it over (though I know EA won't like that).
- the art design is great, but the graphics themselves feel rather flat (on the pc) the lighting feels lame in comparison to a lot of PC games out there in 2011 and even games from 2007. More shadows, etc you know the drill.
- give us more things to do, let us have more minigames or space walks or the parts where you fly through that broken up thing. Some guy mentioned he beat the game in like 6 hours, and it took me 12 hours to beat DS1. :S

Nizz

It's my birthday today and my brother blessed me with some Visceral love :)

qDEad.jpg

He managed to find me a limited edition copy of Dead Space 2. Can't wait to crack into both games. I'm saving Dead Space 2 for when the sun goes down. It's only right ;)

soultron

Banned
At Chapter 4 now. Really enjoying the ride so far. It's a much different experience from DS1, but that's not a bad thing. The one thing I'm really digging is the environmental variety. Also, whoever did the environmental design needs an award -- it's concept art come to life. I feel they did their concept work and then the level designers and modelers didn't make excuses by saying, "No, that's just too wacky looking. It won't work well."

Replicant

badcrumble said:
That's been implied by the Severed campaign-select thingy, but it's nice to see more evidence. It's pretty likely after this amount of time that whatever it is will serve as some sort of tease for Dead Space 3.

Praise be Altman Isaac if that's true.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I had a weird thing happen. I bought the game on Steam and started playing it yesterday. I decided to play on Normal, which is probably a little easier than I like, but whatever.

When I got to the first shop, a shit-ton of armors (maybe 10?) were all available for 0 cost. I'm not sure why I would stick with a 10 inventory armor when I could buy better ones for 0 cost. I was also able to buy many weapons, at least 6 or 7, for 0 cost.

At the time I thought it was weird, but I ploughed on. Now I'm near the end of chapter 6 and I've seen then found tons of schematics for weapons, including weapons I already had unlocked. The Line Railer or whatever it's called, for example. I found a schematic for it in maybe chapter 4 or 5, but I had already purchased it for 0 credit several chapters before.

Was this pre-order DLC automatically being activated? Is this because I picked a lower difficulty? Why is the game's shop balance so terribly broken for me? It really doesn't seem like this was their intent.

Stumpokapow said:
I had a weird thing happen. I bought the game on Steam and started playing it yesterday. I decided to play on Normal, which is probably a little easier than I like, but whatever.

When I got to the first shop, a shit-ton of armors (maybe 10?) were all available for 0 cost. I'm not sure why I would stick with a 10 inventory armor when I could buy better ones for 0 cost. I was also able to buy many weapons, at least 6 or 7, for 0 cost.

At the time I thought it was weird, but I ploughed on. Now I'm near the end of chapter 6 and I've seen then found tons of schematics for weapons, including weapons I already had unlocked. The Line Railer or whatever it's called, for example. I found a schematic for it in maybe chapter 4 or 5, but I had already purchased it for 0 credit several chapters before.

Was this pre-order DLC automatically being activated? Is this because I picked a lower difficulty? Why is the game's shop balance so terribly broken for me? It really doesn't seem like this was their intent.
This happened with me too. I found it rather odd when starting the game.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
GoldandBlue said:
This happened with me too. I found it rather odd when starting the game.

Yeah looking back through the thread, L00P mentions it like 200 posts ago. So it's not just me. Did you buy yours off Steam? What difficulty? Just trying to figure out what triggers it so I can not trigger it next time.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Stumpokapow said:

this seems like the pre-order DLC.

I played the PS3 version (without any pre-order content), so I can't actually confirm this. The way you're describing it, though, sounds like this is very much the case.

Stumpokapow said:
Yeah looking back through the thread, L00P mentions it like 200 posts ago. So it's not just me. Did you buy yours off Steam? What difficulty? Just trying to figure out what triggers it so I can not trigger it next time.
Yes, purchased during the sale yesterday. I'm playing on Normal.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Rez said:
this seems like the pre-order DLC.

I played the PS3 version (without any pre-order content), so I can't actually confirm this. The way you're describing it, though, sounds like this is very much the case.

ugh stupid bullshit. Any time I see this stuff advertised in a store ("Unlock super omega golden one shot one kill gun automatically!!!! PRE-ORDER BONUS!") all I can think is that either the weapon is useless and so the pre-order bonus is useless, or the weapon is useful and the game balance is now broken.

Honestly I went ahead and bought the armour and weapons in DS2 thinking that there'd be some plot event where I'd lose all my shit so the first store didn't count or something. It's only now years later that I realized I had broken the game balance :/

:/

Replicant

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
More Campaign DLC would be so awesome.

As long as it's not MP, no one gives a shit about MP Dead Space. Okay, it was fun for a while but I wouldn't touch it longer than a few tries.

Also EA, you're DEAD if you add online-based achievements/trophies on Dead Space 3. DEAD, you hear me?! Fucking hate online achievements like Burnout Paradise's "Invite your friend to play online to earn a trophy***"

*** PS: Your friend must also have the game and must also be playing the game to invite him. FML

Stumpokapow said:
ugh stupid bullshit. Any time I see this stuff advertised in a store ("Unlock super omega golden one shot one kill gun automatically!!!! PRE-ORDER BONUS!") all I can think is that either the weapon is useless and so the pre-order bonus is useless, or the weapon is useful and the game balance is now broken.

Isaac's Unitology suit/weapon is rock-awesome. I wouldn't part ways with it *pets my suit*

k7GrJ.jpg

sn00zer

Finished this game a few days ago

Positives
+More interesting environment than the first, but didn't have that creep factor
+The head butters are the best enemies I have come across in gaming, the peaking out of there heads and using there calls to figure out where they were was fun/frightening
+The kid enemies were fun to fight
+Pretty much all the new enemies were interesting
+Javelin gun is suhweet
+Liked that Isaac actually talked, thought he was a bit above average in terms of character
+New suits were just amazing (didnt have any DLC or preorder stuff)
+Little details, to many to count, but it seemed like a lot of love went into the game (helmet opening and closing for one)
+ Perfect level of difficulty (played on Normal) game had some very hard sections even on normal, and ammo was perfectly spaced so you always had just enough to get through a section
+great QTE pop out scares
+Eye scanner thing was perfect
+Better gravity controls

Negatives
-All the other new guns outside of the Javelin were to hard to use and just not very efficient
-Ishimura revisit would have been nice for Dead Space 3 or 4, but it just seemed to early for nostalgia and was way to long
-a bit more like Dead Space 1.5 ...recycled assets, enemies,items, guns, levels
-Don't trust women....seriously this series has had 3 betrayals...all women...all obvious
- to many arena/gauntlet fights where its just a bunch of enemies on screen that make it very overwhelming/not fun
-Nichole is just not very scary
-Ishimura was a scarier place
-new butt hole-looking enemies were just cheap
-better but fewer puzzles

Replicant said:
As long as it's not MP, no one gives a shit about MP Dead Space. Okay, it was fun for a while but I wouldn't touch it longer than a few tries.

What they really should have added is a Horde/Zombies type mode. That would make sense in the context of the Dead Space universe and would surely be better than the multiplayer in DS2. Fighting off necromorphs with a partner is way more interesting than the crappy L4D clone multiplayer we got.

Jerk

Banned
Finally got around to playing this game (despite the fact that I have had it since launch). Really awesome thus far; "Zealot" is a lot easier than I expected.

Gvaz

Banned
Stumpokapow said:

Yeah, that's all the preorder dlc. What happened was they had no intention of doing dlc for the pc (because who cares about pc gamers am I right? - EA and other Publishers) so a dude works on unlocking all the dlc anyways. It was all on the disk too.

So a little later they release a patch basically integrating his work and don't say anything about it to him, no thanks or anything. So that's the story.

Since this is the fifth time I'm replaying through the game and it's on the incredibly smooth PC version, I didn't mind the DLC all being unlocked at first but I totally see why that could be very annoying for someone wanting a pure experience the first time through.

Is there a way to go into the Steam folder and delete the DLC content manually (or at least, temporarily remove it)? Might want to do that before taking my computer over to a friend's so that we can hook it up to his 50+inch Panasonic Plasma (that's how he experienced the first Dead Space and it's part of the reason I double-dipped on 2).

Replicant said:

Also EA, you're DEAD if you add online-based achievements/trophies on Dead Space 3. DEAD, you hear me?! Fucking hate online achievements like Burnout Paradise's "Invite your friend to play online to earn a trophy***"

*** PS: Your friend must also have the game and must also be playing the game to invite him. FML

Listen to this man.

I wouldn't mind a "Horde" mode, but competitive MP just doesn't fit.

30kumhz.jpg

Is still my favorite suit.

I've just finished Dead Space Extraction on Wii and it was definitely better than I expected. The hallucinations segments were great and it had a decent story and cool set pieces that tie in nicely with all the other games/media. Chapter 10 was a bit of a let down though, only a gauntlet of enemies as a last boss.

I'm glad that Lexine starts off as a nobody and ends up a vital key character in the Dead Space universe thanks to
her ability to be immune to the effects of the marker while protecting others in her vicinity.
It made the Severed DLC even better.

One question though : what happened to
Nate McNeil?
They don't even mention him in Severed and the ending of Extraction makes things ambiguous.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This game is nucking futs so far. A big fuck you to EA Redwood for making those child necros that make that godawful screeching noise, that's just wrong. It relies a bit too much on jump scares but goddamn it keeps me on the edge of my seat. Playing this game is downright stressful.

Anyways, I like it a lot so far. It's shaping up to be one of the better big-budget dumb action games of the gen and I appreciate that it has kicked my ass a few times on Survivalist.

One nitpicky complaint, though. All of the preorder bullshit items have been unlocked (which is good), and because of that I have all the weapons and several suits available for free from the start of the game. It kind of detracts from the excitement of gradually unlocking new weapons but I've done my best to avoid using them.

^edit^ I see this has already been mentioned. At least I'm not the only one.

Nizz

Made it to Chapter 3 last night and I'm loving the game so far. I liked how they start you off
in a straight jacket running for your life!
A couple of jump scares have gotten me already, :lol :) That train sequence: whew! :0

Is there a significant difference using the default plasma cutter and the refurbished one from DS1? I have a save from DS1 and the original plasma cutter was available but I don't know if there's any big difference between that one and the one you get in the new game?

Graphics are great by the way. Atmospheric as hell and the framerate's rock solid. Love the new camera speed also. Controls just feel tighter all around.

Has anyone played Extraction with the Move controller? I'd like to play that after my playthrough of DS2 but I don't know if I should hold out and get a Move controller first to play through it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
purple cobra said:
Has anyone played Extraction with the Move controller? I'd like to play that after my playthrough of DS2 but I don't know if I should hold out and get a Move controller first to play through it.

I wouldn't strongly recommend against playing it with a standard controller. It's basically a lightgun game, so controlling it with an analog stick would be a total drag.

Nizz

Snuggler said:
I wouldn't strongly recommend against playing it with a standard controller. It's basically a lightgun game, so controlling it with an analog stick would be a total drag.
Yeah, I'm probably better off playing it with a Move controller. I think about playing Extraction with a controller and I get flashbacks of playing House of the Dead 2 on Dreamcast with that controller. Wasn't unplayable at all but you do lose something not playing with the light gun.

I bought this game on Steam, haven't really had a chance to play it yet - maybe like 10 minutes to make sure it ran on my laptop (oh god, it runs great, really good PC optimization) - but I planned to jump into it soon, maybe tonight.

What's this with the preorder bonuses and free shit at the shop? Do I have to worry about it, is it disabled all by default, or is there a way to skip out on it? I don't want to make the game too easy or invalidate the late game upgrades so early.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Houston3000 said:
What's this with the preorder bonuses and free shit at the shop? Do I have to worry about it, is it disabled all by default, or is there a way to skip out on it? I don't want to make the game too easy or invalidate the late game upgrades so early.

There are several armor suits (they have unique strengths but I don't know if they'll offer more protection) and a few variations of every weapon available for free from the first moment you use the store. It's nice that EA decided to pony up the preorder content, and you're not forced to use them, but dumping them into the game like that isn't very cool.

As far as I know, there is no way to skip out on it, aside from playing an unpatched version of the game. I have no idea if that's even possible with the Steam version, though.

soultron

Banned
Chapter 10 was a bitch for me on Survivalist. Still not done, but there was this one section that absolutely sapped me for ammo:
the first time you get ambushed (after a lot of silence) by the two charger/tank necromorphs in the long hallway with the hackbox and lift at the end of it.
It took me forever just to take those two bastards down, and took all of my ammo to do so -- mainly because the hit detection on their orange weakpoints is so spotty. Also, the fact that a few plasma cutter shots can dismember them, yet weapons like the javelin gun and line gun don't do shit to it, is absolutely baffling.
. I was also literally on the last tick of my health. I still had to deal with the other (5?) necros that jump down from the ceiling after that. So after many failed attempts to stasis and RT melee one necro to get ammo from it, I backtracked all the way to the beginning of the area to see if I had passed a store. Nope, not one store yet.

What did I do to get past it? Used a mop/broom on the floor to impale the first dude I could find, TK-grabbed the ammo, and then TK-grabbed their claws to impale the other motherfuckers in the room.

I'm glad I didn't wuss out and lower the difficulty, but goddamn, Dead Space needs to take a cue from Resident Evil and give the player a melee weapon akin to the combat knife. When you're out of ammo in this game, it becomes a process of trial and error to kill something to get more ammo from. It's awesome that the combat largely hinges around the dismemberment mechanic, but when it doesn't work the way you'd like (even when using stasis to slow animations down), it makes ammo conservation a tough task. Really sucks that I had to effectively break the game and abuse the necromoprh's weak pathing (they won't follow you through certain doors, thank goodness) to progress.

I'm still really enjoying this game, but I can't help but think the difficulty isn't properly balanced for on the upper levels. I'd hate to think what Zealot and Hardcore are like.

SamuraiX-

soultron said:
Chapter 10 was a bitch for me on Survivalist. Still not done, but there was this one section that absolutely sapped me for ammo:
the first time you get ambushed (after a lot of silence) by the two charger/tank necromorphs in the long hallway with the hackbox and lift at the end of it.
It took me forever just to take those two bastards down, and took all of my ammo to do so -- mainly because the hit detection on their orange weakpoints is so spotty. Also, the fact that a few plasma cutter shots can dismember them, yet weapons like the javelin gun and line gun don't do shit to it, is absolutely baffling.
. I was also literally on the last tick of my health. I still had to deal with the other (5?) necros that jump down from the ceiling after that. So after many failed attempts to stasis and RT melee one necro to get ammo from it, I backtracked all the way to the beginning of the area to see if I had passed a store. Nope, not one store yet.

What did I do to get past it? Used a mop/broom on the floor to impale the first dude I could find, TK-grabbed the ammo, and then TK-grabbed their claws to impale the other motherfuckers in the room.

I'm glad I didn't wuss out and lower the difficulty, but goddamn, Dead Space needs to take a cue from Resident Evil and give the player a melee weapon akin to the combat knife. When you're out of ammo in this game, it becomes a process of trial and error to kill something to get more ammo from. It's awesome that the combat largely hinges around the dismemberment mechanic, but when it doesn't work the way you'd like (even when using stasis to slow animations down), it makes ammo conservation a tough task. Really sucks that I had to effectively break the game and abuse the necromoprh's weak pathing (they won't follow you through certain doors, thank goodness) to progress.

I'm still really enjoying this game, but I can't help but think the difficulty isn't properly balanced for on the upper levels. I'd hate to think what Zealot and Hardcore are like.

Yeah, man. I know what your saying but with the Dead Space series the one thing you can't do is be too nonchalant earlier in the game with your ammo supply because the game will always punish you later for it.

I know it probably shits on the flow of the game, but whenever I felt like I was using to much ammo in any particular area, I would just let myself die and restart. Not all the time but I mean if I felt like I used three times as much ammo as I needed on a certain number of necromorphs, I knew that was gonna bite me in the ass later.

Glad you're having fun with it. Awesome game. I'm replaying it right now too. I did my first run on Zealot and was hoping I would never have to buy ammo, but shit this game just heaves armies of necros at you. The pacing is definitely something they better look to improve in Dead Space 3.

KiKaL

Did anyone find a way to play the Steam copy without all the extras? I just picked it up and have a store with tons of weapons and suits.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
KiKaL said:
Did anyone find a way to play the Steam copy without all the extras? I just picked it up and have a store with tons of weapons and suits.
Just don't purchase them. Anything with an icon in the corner is the extra DLC and should be ignored on an initial playthrough.

Dead Space 1 > Dead Space 2.

I can't believe the latter part of the game was just pretty much reusing assets from Dead Space 1. Going back to Ishimura was nice and all but this game felt more like a Dead Space spin off than a real proper sequel to me.

I'm deciding whether or not to go for the
hardcore
trophy. Has anyone gotten that? How hard is it?

Minamu

8 things we want in DS3

http://www.oxm.co.uk/31396/features/dead-space-3-eight-things-we-want/

Can't help but agree with most of them. Especially 1-4. Not a fan of number six though. Separate co-op campaign? No thanks. Build it in, like Gears of War or don't bother at all. Uncharted 2 is not a good example of great co-op. Not saying that mode isn't fun, but being stand-alone is the same to me as pointless, especially from a story perspective. Make it worthwhile and integral! Make a good and scary co-op and you have a game of the generation candidate due to lack of competition.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Minamu said:
8 things we want in DS3

http://www.oxm.co.uk/31396/features/dead-space-3-eight-things-we-want/

Can't help but agree with most of them. Especially 1-4. Not a fan of number six though. Separate co-op campaign? No thanks. Build it in, like Gears of War or don't bother at all. Uncharted 2 is not a good example of great co-op. Not saying that mode isn't fun, but being stand-alone is the same to me as pointless, especially from a story perspective. Make it worthwhile and integral! Make a good and scary co-op and you have a game of the generation candidate due to lack of competition.
Wasn't number 5 an option to toggle in DS2? I'm pretty sure I had it set to classic so it was like DS1.

Minamu

Stallion Free said:
Wasn't number 5 an option to toggle in DS2? I'm pretty sure I had it set to classic so it was like DS1.
Yep, it was. It was turned off for DS2 though. I suppose that could make it a fairly valid point, but it's definitely one of the dumbest points on the list, yeah :)

codecow

Interesting that they mentioned in point #1 that the ship was more realistic with no loading pauses when in fact DS1 had load screens designed to look like the tram display and DS2 had no loading screens after the intro.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Minamu said:
Especially 1-4.
I disagree with 1.
For one -
Ishimura
was already IN DS2 to begin with (I kind of hoped they'd stay away from doing that until later games, but oh well), and two - what made the game's atmosphere stand out was the contrast between dark&gloomy and blazing-bright&empty of outer space, and DS2 only upped the ante on that IMO.
Sense of connection has more to do with scale of story (
hopping around a giant asteroid
) - techwise, there were no pauses to break the cohesion (unlike DS1, which loads every chapter).
Lack of isolation can be argued I suppose - but that's more a problem endemic to genre itself then the game. It's been done to death, and DS games pretty much perfected the form. They'll have to move away from the whole "linear-cinema" design of horror games if they want to go back to isolated spaces and still offer something that won't feel it's been done to death a million times.

Oddly they never mention the linearity as a problem - for all its faults, DS1 levels felt more open, and occasional backtracking (and the fact I didn't know about waypoint feature in the first game) made it more memorable for me then the 100% on rails romp in DS2.

Minamu

Fafalada said:
I disagree with 1.
For one -
Ishimura
was already IN DS2 to begin with (I kind of hoped they'd stay away from doing that until later games, but oh well), and two - what made the game's atmosphere stand out was the contrast between dark&gloomy and blazing-bright&empty of outer space, and DS2 only upped the ante on that IMO.
Sense of connection has more to do with scale of story (
hopping around a giant asteroid
) - techwise, there were no pauses to break the cohesion (unlike DS1, which loads every chapter).
Lack of isolation can be argued I suppose - but that's more a problem endemic to genre itself then the game. It's been done to death, and DS games pretty much perfected the form. They'll have to move away from the whole "linear-cinema" design of horror games if they want to go back to isolated spaces and still offer something that won't feel it's been done to death a million times.

Oddly they never mention the linearity as a problem - for all its faults, DS1 levels felt more open, and occasional backtracking (and the fact I didn't know about waypoint feature in the first game) made it more memorable for me then the 100% on rails romp in DS2.
I disagree with 1 as well, at least when it's put like on that list. But the feeling of isolation similar to RE1 was really nice in DS1 and that mostly disappeared in 2. I like 2's direction of going for a more roller coaster ride with its ups and downs, I just didn't like that the game usually also had the *speed* of a roller coaster in action :) DS1 felt more slow and methodical for several reasons (maybe 2's massive arsenal killed that some) which I personally liked more. Yeah, DS2 is slow like 1 in some places, but for good or worse, the speedy tempo is what I remember the most.

Top Bottom