• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

SamuraiX-

So I just got to Chapter 8 on my Hard Core run.

I was trying to use the store in the very first room and I somehow accidentally accessed the save point instead. I know you must be thinking I probably fucked up and wasted my 2nd save too early. Not at all.

When I gave the command to exit the save menu, I found myself trapped within the geometry of the wall just to the left of the station.

I tried everything possible to lodge myself out: stomping, hitting, stasis, kinesis, using the Line Gun's alt-fire to try and launch myself out. Nothing. I was stuck.

So hours wasted not because of a lapse in judgement, lack of skill, or some random enemy getting the jump on me. Nope. I got glitched into the middle of a fucking wall because I accessed a save station that I never had a single intention of using. Good game, Visceral.

/rant

Anything like this ever happen to anyone else? :(

That's awful man.

What are you playing on? I've played through a bunch of times on 360 and can't remember any glitches, especially a game breaker like that.

SamuraiX-

Haha, yeah.

I'm playing on PS3. I've never had anything like that happen to me either, so naturally it would happen for the first time on my Hard Core run. :p

I've finally caught back up and I'm about to start Ch. 9 though. Woohoo!

I'm planning to make my 2nd save somewhere at the beginning of Ch. 10, just before the shit starts to hit the fan.

codecow said:
That is jacked up, who makes that shit?

lmfao

Now this gave me a good laugh. Thank you. XD

No personal offense, of course. Just had to get that rant out. ;)

SamuraiX-

Just died at the very end of Ch. 9, right after destroying the
Tripod Nest.

I spent like 10 seconds trying to go up the wrong elevator (the one you come down on) and realized too late that you had to take the elevator across the room from you. I made it halfway up the right elevator before one of the random explosions went off and tore me in half.

Today is not my fucking day. :(

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I just beat the game last night and I have to say, probably one of the best games I've ever played. The level of polish is insane, I loved the pacing, and the whole last act is so balls-to-the-walls I could barely take it. I was uttering things to myself and slapping my knee when I died. That's not common for me and I can only really mention Amnesia as something that gave me a similar experience, though it didn't do it non-stop for 30 minutes like this game did. I didn't even fight 3/4ths of the necros in the last chapter, I just fucking ran.

And the ending was great.

The game totally blew away my expectations going in.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
After EA's giant executive swap and the BioWare San Francisco renaming, I decided to check EA's job postings and noticed that they're hiring an Art Director and Executive Producer for the Dead Space franchise.

Notably though, the Redwood Shores job posting for an Executive Producer for a new IP has disappeared, and no one has updated their Twitter/Linkedin accounts to suggest they left Visceral.

So, it seems that Ian and Steve are either making a new IP, or have headed out of the company and are slow to update.

SamuraiX-

BobsRevenge said:
The level of polish is insane, I loved the pacing, and the whole last act is so balls-to-the-walls I could barely take it.

wat

Were you playing on Easy or Normal?

Finally made it to my 2nd Hard Core save in Chapter 10. Saved it just before
the encounter with the first Brute.

I feel like these next three chapters are going to be the most difficult section of the game for me. I'm planning to use my 3rd save when I hit Ch.13 just after the
Drill Ride.

I feel so close to the goal, but I also foresee much frustration on the horizon. D:

Nizz

SamuraiX- said:
wat

Were you playing on Easy or Normal?

Finally made it to my 2nd Hard Core save in Chapter 10. Saved it just before
the encounter with the first Brute.

I feel like these next three chapters are going to be the most difficult section of the game for me. I'm planning to use my 3rd save when I hit Ch.13 just after the
Drill Ride.

I feel so close to the goal, but I also foresee much frustration on the horizon. D:
If I were playing this on Hardcore, I'd probably use the third save at that exact spot. Good luck on your playthrough! I wrapped this game up the other night (on Normal). I didn't feel as on edge in this game as much as the first one, probably due to the necro spamming in the later half of the game. But I enjoyed the game nonetheless. Everything was a step up in DS2: the controls, graphics, framerate. Super polished experience. Capcom would be wise to take a cue from Visceral. You can have a horror atmosphere and still be able to move and shoot. Controls are that good.

They got me at the end, I actually thought
Isaac was a goner as the credits started rolling and I thought wow, he's really going to go down with everything else. Was caught a little off guard when I realized I could take control of Isaac and jetpack to the ship. It was an awesome "movie style" moment for me because I did it in one shot. :)

But please dudes, less necro spamming in 3! I'm also hoping sometime soon I get myself a Move controller. I want to jump into Extraction but I'm not going to try it till I get the right controller for the game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Minamu said:
Or promoted?
Quite possibly.

EA was making a major deal about investing in their talent in today's press release and Steve posted this a few days ago.

steve96ax.png

There isn't much room to go up from Executive Producer though, so I'm still guessing new IP.

Nirolak said:
There isn't much room to go up from Executive Producer though, so I'm still guessing new IP.

If Visceral is working on something to be released before Dead Space 3, I definitely hope it's a new IP. Not something like...Dante's Inferno 2. If that's even possible.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
ToyMachine228 said:
If Visceral is working on something to be released before Dead Space 3, I definitely hope it's a new IP. Not something like...Dante's Inferno 2. If that's even possible.
Visceral is currently making Dead Space 3, Dante's Inferno 2, Army of Four (seemingly on Frostbite 2), and two new IPs.

The Ripper (XBLA/PSN) might still be in development as well.

However, it is notable that they're a five location studio now (Redwood Shores, Montreal, Los Angeles, Australia, and Shanghai).

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Dante's Inferno 2 and The Ripper = day 1.

Anyway, I just finished Dead Space 1, and I'm about to start DS2 sometime in the not too distant future. A friend of mine told me DS2 dropped the terribad useless map that was in DS1. Is this true?

SamuraiX-

purple cobra said:
If I were playing this on Hardcore, I'd probably use the third save at that exact spot. Good luck on your playthrough!

Thanks. :)

Ch.10 actually isn't as bad as I originally thought. The Detonator is a heavenly godsend. I can't believe I never even tried to appreciate the awesomeness of this weapon before doing this run.

Combichristoffersen said:
A friend of mine told me DS2 dropped the terribad useless map that was in DS1. Is this true?

You shut your mouth! The map feature was one of the best things about DS1. It actually gave you a sense of direction and scale with the Ishimura.

That's one thing I wasn't a fan of with DS2. I hope they put the map back in for the next game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Gvaz said:
Dante's Inferno sold enough to make another game? What the hell
Fun fact, it's launch month in the U.S. was higher than the launch numbers of Darksiders and Bayonetta combined!

Not sure how they compare LTD wise though.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
SamuraiX- said:
You shut your mouth! The map feature was one of the best things about DS1. It actually gave you a sense of direction and scale with the Ishimura.

That's one thing I wasn't a fan of with DS2. I hope they put the map back in for the next game.

If there's one thing the map in DS1 didn't give me, it was a sense of direction, as it was nothing but a confusing mess :p And I didn't know you could push R3 to see where you should go to find your next objective (didn't notice it until I started a new game+), so I had to rely on memorization and exploration to find out where to go :lol

Gvaz

Banned
Bayonetta was soso but Darksiders was surprisingly good, I thought. Well, another game for the backlog i suppose

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Oh, I didn't look far enough back on Twitter.

They're definitely building a new team at Visceral. Ian still talks about a lot about things happening at Visceral after posting this.

newvisceralteamgueu.png

codecow

I'd like to officially announce here as a neogaf breaking exclusive, yes, we are working on projects at Visceral Games.

Replicant

codecow said:
I'd like to officially announce here as a neogaf breaking exclusive, yes, we are working on projects at Visceral Games.

So when can we expect Dead Space 3? With Steelbook Special Edition this time around please?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
codecow said:
This is probably a more useful comment than you expect. Thanks! :lol

Replicant said:
So when can we expect Dead Space 3? With Steelbook Special Edition this time around please?
EA generally operates on two year development cycles.

Plus, he might not actually be on the Dead Space franchise anymore! Though, I don't see a job posting for replacing his specific position, so perhaps not.

Hmm... I should do a large write-up later piecing this all together, since Visceral seems to be expanding and changing a lot right now, and EA has interesting posted a large amount of it publicly in bits and pieces.

SamuraiX-

Combichristoffersen said:
If there's one thing the map in DS1 didn't give me, it was a sense of direction, as it was nothing but a confusing mess :p And I didn't know you could push R3 to see where you should go to find your next objective (didn't notice it until I started a new game+), so I had to rely on memorization and exploration to find out where to go :lol

I'll admit that it felt clunky at times, but to me one of the funnest things about DS1 was checking my map at the start of each chapter to see the path I'll have to take to get to my objective. Gave me that sense of what was to come and what rooms it looked like I would get ambushed in, so it helped with doing some preemptive planning.

It was even useful on subsequent playthroughs because just by looking at the map I was reminded what was going to attack me on my way to my current objective.

codecow said:
iczHkg.gif

codecow said:
Projects?

Dead Space 3, 4, 5, and the stunning finale: Dead Space 666 confirmed!!!

Revolutionary said:
Projects?

I know you're being somewhat facetious, but I'd like this storyline and characters to be wrapped up in Dead Space 3. I don't want the story to get any more convoluted.

I'm not saying I'd like the series to end after DS3, just that they come up with something fresh, whether that be new characters or Isaac continuing the story, just against different enemies/in a new or evolved over arching storyline. Like how 343 Studios is handling the new Halo trilogy.

Replicant

Tron 2.0 said:
Someone alert Kotaku.

Don't worry, they're probably writing the blurb even as I type this.

Nirolak said:
Hmm... I should do a large write-up later piecing this all together, since Visceral seems to be expanding and changing a lot right now, and EA has interesting posted a large amount of it publicly in bits and pieces.

Do it, do it!

Revolutionary said:
Projects?

Whatever you do Visceral, keep Isaac as recurring character please. He doesn't have to appear on every DS game but it'd be nice to see him again every now and then after Dead Space 3 is concluded.

SamuraiX-

ILOVEASIANS said:
I know you're being somewhat facetious, but I'd like this storyline and characters to be wrapped up in Dead Space 3. I don't want the story to get any more convoluted.

I'm not saying I'd like the series to end after DS3, just that they come up with something fresh, whether that be new characters or Isaac continuing the story, just against different enemies/in a new or evolved over arching storyline. Like how 343 Studios is handling the new Halo trilogy.

After the seeing the ending to Dead Space 2, I would be thoroughly impressed if Visceral managed to wrap all this insanity up in the next game.

I just don't see how it's possible though.

The whole concept of finding all "the Makers" and absorbing them and such feels like it could be stretched out and twisted for many more sequels.

They may not wrap up the whole story, but they can close the loop on the current story involving Isaac/Lex, the Church, Project Oracle, and Earthgov.

There are other stories that can be told. I wonder if Stefan Schneider will show up at some point.

Whatever you do Visceral, keep Isaac as recurring character please. He doesn't have to appear on every DS game but it'd be nice to see him again every now and then after Dead Space 3 is concluded.

I'd like this. He's probably my favorite character from this generation.

SamuraiX- said:
After the seeing the ending to Dead Space 2, I would be thoroughly impressed if Visceral managed to wrap all this insanity up in the next game.

I just don't see how it's possible though.

The whole concept of finding all "the Makers" and absorbing them and such feels like it could be stretched out and twisted for many more sequels.

They could do something like
destroying the Black Marker, then all the copies will be destroyed. I sincerely hope he doesn't have to go around one by one, destroying them. It's not like Isaac has a lot of friends to help him out. I'm sure Ellie will be dead soon enough.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
They may not wrap up the whole story, but they can close the loop on the current story involving Isaac/Lex, the Church, Project Oracle, and Earthgov.

There are other stories that can be told. I wonder if Stefan Schneider will show up at some point.

Yup. We always seem to be on the same page with Dead Space stuff, Guy.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
codecow said:

Dead Space spin-off with
Ellie
as the lead. :D

(Although I have to admit I like the Issac-Ellie team-up and hope it continues in DS3. Not asking for forced co-op here, just that I hope she sticks around. Issac sticking around is a given, obviously.)

Is this game being sold cheaply anywhere? After recently discovering Blockbuster charges $8 for game rentals, I figure I may as well buy it (as the game is pretty content-rich, or so I've heard).

codecow

Jimmy Stav said:
Is this game being sold cheaply anywhere? After recently discovering Blockbuster charges $8 for game rentals, I figure I may as well buy it (as the game is pretty content-rich, or so I've heard).

It is $29.99 on amazon, google shopping says that is as cheap as you can get for a new one. You might be able to find a deal on it as a package with another title.

legbone

Jimmy Stav said:

i got the ps3 collector's edition from amazon for $39.99 about a month ago. not sure if they have any left but you might check.

McNei1y

I'm not sure if I posted in here or not when I beat DS2 about 2 weeks ago but I want to give my two cents.

DS1 > DS2
story/backstory
setting

DS2 > DS1
gameplay
visuals
sounds

Its really hard to choose one over the other. I enjoyed both games from beginning to end but I do have to say I give the best plot/story to DS1. In Dead Space 1, I felt trapped as I played.
The idea of traveling throughout the ship to start it back up and ultimately escape was much better than waking up mentally unstable and having to fight your way to the EarthGov/Marker location.
I felt like every chapter in DS1 mattered towards the end goal rather than DS2's
travel through a series of buildings. The only time in DS2 when I thought that what I did mattered was when you had to adjust the solar panels (which was an awesome aspect) and going back onto the Ishumura

I still thought DS2 was very fun game and had some very scary parts.
The Ishumura chapter was pretty damn scary. Going back to the place where it all began and reading text and audio logs about how the ship is still cursed gave me chills, even though I expected shit to go down.
I'm looking forward to DS3 and hope it takes the best of both games.

codecow said:
It is $29.99 on amazon, google shopping says that is as cheap as you can get for a new one. You might be able to find a deal on it as a package with another title.

Hmm, Amazon has it listed for 34.99 as far as I can tell. Certainly a reasonable price, but difficult to swing on a student's budget. I'll probably get it anyway.

Top Bottom