• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

I'm up to Chapter 6, LOVING IT! When does it annoy fans of the original game? There's enough chance for backtracking to get to places other than the objective. You can even crawl back into vents. So far, every room has been tense, the new enemies force you to mix up your weapons, any little action has been either zero-g stuff which is always great or a little boss battle. It's all been pretty dark, there are many times where the lights just go out.

The ice cryo capsule 4-rooms stage in Ch 5 is an excellent exercise in keeping you on your edge after seeing so many cubicles.

Good lord at those Dog stalker things!

Cutting up a swarm of kid necros with the Ripper is oh so gratifying :p

I guessed the twist of
Dana's betrayal
a mile away, but the story has been enough to get me going.

Playing it for the first time on PC with mouse + kb, on survivalist. Up to Ch 3. It's true, lot less ammo for plasma cutter to force you to use the other weapons which is ok I guess.

What's going on here?
ibgkpVukXlnYfr.gif

It sounds like a person is stuck inside the laundry machine. I attacked it, but nothing happened. So it's not a necromorph. Maybe just window dressing like the people holed up in their apartments?

I read something a while back that stated that a child attempting to hide hid in there but become stuck and died.

That's what you're hearing.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I'm up to Chapter 6, LOVING IT! When does it annoy fans of the original game? There's enough chance for backtracking to get to places other than the objective. You can even crawl back into vents. So far, every room has been tense, the new enemies force you to mix up your weapons, any little action has been either zero-g stuff which is always great or a little boss battle. It's all been pretty dark, there are many times where the lights just go out.

The ice cryo capsule 4-rooms stage in Ch 5 is an excellent exercise in keeping you on your edge after seeing so many cubicles.

Good lord at those Dog stalker things!

Cutting up a swarm of kid necros with the Ripper is oh so gratifying :p

I guessed the twist of
Dana's betrayal
a mile away, but the story has been enough to get me going.

I loved the game. I loved the first one. I am not sure where all the hate came from. Maybe I liked the first game for different reasons than others.

I'm up to Chapter 6, LOVING IT! When does it annoy fans of the original game?
For me the game took a nosedive in the last few chapters. Generally it's pretty liberal with the combat and light on exploration compared to DS1, but the lack of balance between atmosphere building and action reaches almost satirical levels by the end of the game. If you don't find the 10 waves of enemies per room annoying during the last 1/4 of the journey you're a more patient man than I. Also, set your expectations low for the final boss, then lower them once more for good measure.

For me the game took a nosedive in the last few chapters. Generally it's pretty liberal with the combat and light on exploration compared to DS1, but the lack of balance between atmosphere building and action reaches almost satirical levels by the end of the game. If you don't find the 10 waves of enemies per room annoying during the last 1/4 of the journey you're a more patient man than I. Also, set your expectations low for the final boss, then lower them once more for good measure.

Haha duly noted! :p

iHN7kZSIjjkkM.gif

The lighting is so good.

The space parts are breathtaking. I'm glad they give you enough oxygen tanks so I could fly around to just take in the sights.

iihf2cv2B2sz6.jpg

iPbkXhdIblz64.jpg

iiNgeBJjjXiv7.jpg

Don't tell me I was the only done to die during the space chase back to the surface? :p Intense moment when you thread the needle by flying THROUGH the wreckage.

i7s2fqpPOWIrg.jpg

On Chapter 10 and I had no idea
we'd be going back to the Ishimura
! That old familiar feeling, and it takes a perfectly good time until something shows up. Still damn great, haven't witnessed the decline yet :p

So I'm assuming this is your first go at it?

Yup. First game was my favorite of that year, bought it on release, but held back on the second for some unknown reason. Maybe because of some backlash from fans of the first or more probably just because of schedules. It wasn't mentioned much during GOTY deliberations, and by that time I was knee-deep in Rayman Origins, Batman AC, Deus Ex HR, Bastion, Witcher 2, and I think Stacking.

A couple of questions as I'm LTTP on this one. Playing this on PC with 3D Vision enabled (using Helix mod to fix the shadow issues, looks amazing).

One thing I've noticed when playing with mouse and keyboard: There's a strange mouse acceleration enabled that makes it really hard to aim precisely. When I move the mouse from point A to B very quickly, Isaac aims slower than if I move the mouse from point A to B slowly. It's like...reverse mouse acceleration or something. So I tried playing with my 360 Wireless controller instead and while I think it feels a little better, the aiming still feels kind of janky (If I hold a direction on the stick for more than 1 second, it speeds up like crazy). It's still analog but almost feels like it will suddenly go from 10% sensitivity to like 80% in a very short time. I've gotten used to it but is this normal and if it isn't is there anything I can do to fix that?

Another thing I am not understanding, I just reached the point where Isaac get's his suit. I access the shop and in the catalog I see every single weapon and suit available for 0 credits...there's what looks like the generic Engineer Suit that costs 1000 that I remember being one of the only things available at this point in the game when I played the beginning of the game on PS3 a year ago. Why is all of this shit unlocked on my game and purchasable for 0 credits? Am I missing something?

Edit: I also thought I recall only beginning the game with 4 health bars on my suit when I played it on PS3 but instead I have 6. I could be remembering wrong, but can anyone confirm this?

Monkey Pants

Outpost Games Creative Director
Thread revive!

Today the Game Dev Conference folks posted the full talk I gave awhile ago about the Art Direction for Dead Space 2. It's viewable for free online here.

I shared some of the same things in this thread before, but there are more examples in the talk, plus you get my melodious voice.

On the off-chance anyone's still reading this thread, I finally got around to this game and just started Chapter 13, which from what I gather is where it turns into an endless barrage of necro gangbanging. Anyone have any tips for the best weapons and tactics to use for these rooms?

I feel like most weapons in the game are heavily situational and only really effective against certain enemies and situations, which makes combat a little unwieldy to me (much moreso than the first game). The Plasma Cutter feels really nerfed; even with damage fully upgraded, it takes 3-4 shots to cut off a single limb of a dark necro, so it takes 8-10 to fully kill one. Not very efficient. On the other hand, the Ripper is ruthless in close-quarters combat; it made the long elevator ride in Chapter 9 laughably trivial. But it's not very good at long distances or keeping away more than 2 or 3 enemies at a time. I've tried the Force Gun but it doesn't feel very effective so far.

So basically I'm wondering what weapons work best for them. Especially Leapers and Spitters. Fuck them in the ear.

Top Bottom