• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 demo available for 360 and PS3

didn't really care for the demo. predictable jump scares, lack of tension, SHOOTING OTHER HUMANS WITH COVER MECHANICS.

I'll still play the game, but man, not going in with high expectations.

Also pretty bad framerate drops at the first enemy encounter. I know it's a demo but that does not leave a good first impression.

Not sure which enemy encounter you're talking about, check out my youtube video. The first enemy encounter was pretty unexpected to me, and I don't see any drops in the frames.

Enjoyed the demo. The setting and feeling was all there. Only two things I'm unsure on are the cover system and the human fights. They just felt a little ... hmm whats the word. Out of place. Even so though, with everything else things seem to be like Dead Space before. :D Really want to see where this one goes storyline wise.

steven28

I just completed the demo and i really liked it..the only thing i would say that felt off to me was shooting the enemies.. it didn't seem to connect or something..it just felt weird and different to the other 2 ds games....i liked the weapon crafting idea and everything else in the demo.

absolutely agree. it was the first thing I noticed. I don't know why they've changed them, they were pretty perfect in dead space 2. it's really frustrating due to how faster paced the enemies are in the demo. I hope they fix it.

it's like they've slowed it down or something. it's not laggy, but it's not as responsive as dead space 2.

This is what i meant ...it feels unresponsive when you are aiming and shooting.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Demo thoughts!

-I loved the musical nod to "Aliens" when Issac first glimpses the base - nice touch.

-the squid necromorph - at first I wasn't sure what was happening. I'm looking forward to fighting this enemy type with dread since I'm sure I'm going to waste plenty of ammo trying to kill it.

-I think the drill bit is going to be painfully hard on Zealot. Assuming Hardcore comes back, I'm definitely going to be using one of my saves before this scene since I died about three times at this point (running into the drill) and I was just playing on Normal.

-I took the necros down first whenever they showed up while fighting Unitologists (a little bit of me hoped the Unis would stop trying to kill me at that point, but I guess they -really- want Issac dead).

-Suit upgrades! Had no idea this was going to be a feature. The suit and helmet animation still haven't gotten old for me. I could dress Issac up all day long.

-Never thought I would say this, but the weapons crafting makes me long for the return of multiplayer just so I can show off my gun. Also side missions make me want an open world Dead Space for some reason.

Cons
-Console FOV and graphics make me glad I opted for the PC version this time around. It looks great for hardware that's 7 years old, but next gen is way overdue at this point. The PC version should be very pretty.

-I'm a bit worried for co-op on PC - I only have one friend on Origin. I hope the OT includes a space for sharing Origin nicks so gaffers who want to play co-op on the PC can find each other.

-the demo made me buy the developer's version and I really should not be spending any more money after the holiday extravaganza. This is such a great universe, I can hardly wait to dive back in on Feb. 5.

Daigoro

wow they really destroyed Dead Space if this demo is any indication. Complete garbage

I think this is pretty symptomatic of what has happened to EA these days. There was a short time frame when it seemed they were listening to gamers and sometimes even getting rewarded for it... creating new and engaging IPs and taking risks. Then for some reason they either stopped taking those risks or they changed the IPs they had into even more lame, non-interactive checklist shit, and slowly eroded what little good will they had started to build.

Dead Space was really fucking good. What was so wrong about it that they needed to demolish the gameplay focus/flow and controls? There are already few enough games like the original Dead Space, but here we go... just destroy the appeal altogether. It's like a somewhat less egregious Tomb Raider as far as the demo shows.

yes, Dead Space was really fucking good. but if you remember correctly, the demo for DS was really fucking terrible.

i hated the demo so much i lost all interest in the game. i bought it later for $10 as a greatest Hits game and loved the shit out of it. played it three full times and got 1000/1000 on it.

Dead Space is the perfect example on how not to judge a game by its demo. im not saying DS3 is good or bad (havent even played the demo myself, and i know there appear to be some drastic changes to the formula here), just saying.

Mupod

Finally got a chance to play the demo. The people saying the aiming controls are different are high or something, it's exactly the goddamn same. And yeah, classic aiming works just fine if you want the sights from dead space 1. Not sure how I feel about some of the new enemies, especially the zombie-like necromorphs with guns that apparently give no fucks about being shot. Between those, the ones who 'mutate' as they get dismembered and Isaac's new rolling ability...well, as I switch between the games I can see myself trying to quick shot in DS3 and stasis in RE6.

As for customization - considering I beat dead space 1 and 2 with nothing but the line gun and force gun, the fact that I can weld them together is kinda awesome. Although in 2 I tended to use their alt fires pretty often...so I can also make a gun out of the concentrated force beam and timed mines. I'm gonna guess there's a lot more to the customization than what we have, but I just spent like an hour dicking around in the weapon crafting room and found some fun combinations. I love that they finally gave us the plasma chainsaw from the first animated movie although the claw (hammer?) version seems kinda OP. At least on Normal.

Haven't tried the co-op and no thanks microsoft, not paying for a month of Live just for that. Friend can't be arsed to put the demo on a memory stick anyways.

Salz01

I loved DS2 so much. I pop it in and play through it every now and then. I really hope DS3 doesn't disappoint. Reading through here I'm not exactly getting warm fuzzies. I want dead space, not dead-uncharted-gears-lost planet-space.

nel e nel

I agree with Mupod, I didn't notice any difference in controls. What I did notice was a difference in the fire rate of some of the weapons. The line gun I crafted felt like it had more delay between shots. FYI folks, there is a controller sensitivity setting in the settings menu, try adjusting that if it feels slow.

Other than that, it felt like a Dead Space game to me. I thought the white out effect was great. I had less visibility with that in those brief moments than in both the previous games combined. Coupled with the wind noise it made for some pretty decent tension.

New enemy variations are great. The first time a dead human slowly came back to life as a necro startled the crap out of me.

I do agree that the cover mechanic is kinda 'meh', but I ended up just hiding and waiting while the necros and humans duked it out, and I cleaned up the survivors. The dive roll also felt clunky, and I couldn't quite get the timing down when trying to dodge the spider's lunge attacks.

Some questions for Codecow & Monkey Pants:

- are power nodes now completely out in favor of the crafting system?

- there was a locked room in the outside area just before the drill. Looked like it needed a key card or something to enter. Is that part of a mission, or is it the new version of the power node closets/conduit rooms?

- was there always controller sensitivity in DS1 and 2? I don't remember.

- can you rip out upgrades in your suit/kinesis/stasis and re-spec them like in DS2?

- can you say where in the storyline the section we played falls? Like, half, 1/3, 3/4?

- are we able to take guns/blueprints that we craft in the testing chamber into the campaign?

slash213

I loved DS2 so much. I pop it in and play through it every now and then. I really hope DS3 doesn't disappoint. Reading through here I'm not exactly getting warm fuzzies. I want dead space, not dead-uncharted-gears-lost planet-space.
DS2 is actually really "dead-uncharted-gears-lost planet-space"-like compared to DS1.

maomaoIYP

I don't like the new implementations aimed at casual gamers like the suit upgrading system as well as universal ammo. Also, stasis being auto recharge is ughhh.

Weapons crafting feels pretty cool, you can really make some weird ass combinations. It feels like the game moves a lot faster than the previous 2 games, I might have remembered wrongly though.

dankir

I played through it today via Single Player ( will test out co-op tomorrow) and honestly it felt very stale. Intro sequence torn right out of Uncharted 2, snow, climbing vertically, QTEs etc.
I pretty much knew when all events, enemies, bosses, QTEs were going to happen, nothing was scary or surprising at all.

Also feels very wierd to be able to duck behind cover and have other people shooting guns at you. The music from the menu screen ( there was no music in other Dead Space games!! ) Is straight out of Batman Arkham City with Inception built in.

It will probably be a great game in the end, don't know if it'll be a great DeadSpace game

Poker360

As a huge fan of dead space 2, i'm extremely disappointed.

Overall the game felt like too much was going on, it needed to slow down and realize what genre it was.

Nothing scared me, it was all predictable.
Cover mechanics and shooting other people who are shooting at you was a bad idea. This is not dead space.

Upgrade and crafting mechanics seemed neat, but almost like they were going for too much. Part of Dead Space 1 and 2 i enjoyed was how simple all of the upgrading and stuff was... I'm sure this isn't too complicated but just unnecessary.

Oh, and the drill thing was really bad as well. I died a few times until i finally figured out what "yellow piece" i was suppose to be shooting.

Overall, i left feeling completely the opposite of how i felt after the dead space 2 demo.

I cancelled my pre-order.

TLDR; game too action oriented, not nearly as good as the other 2, pre order cancelled.

DatDude

Banned
TLDR; game too action oriented, not nearly as good as the other 2, pre order cancelled.

How can you base a 30 minute demo off a 10 hour experience?

I mean, I understand you disliked the demo, but perhaps you should just wait for reviews, and gaf impressions before totally dropping out of the race.

As a huge fan of dead space 2, i'm extremely disappointed.

Overall the game felt like too much was going on, it needed to slow down and realize what genre it was.

Nothing scared me, it was all predictable.
Cover mechanics and shooting other people who are shooting at you was a bad idea. This is not dead space.

Upgrade and crafting mechanics seemed neat, but almost like they were going for too much. Part of Dead Space 1 and 2 i enjoyed was how simple all of the upgrading and stuff was... I'm sure this isn't too complicated but just unnecessary.

Oh, and the drill thing was really bad as well. I died a few times until i finally figured out what "yellow piece" i was suppose to be shooting.

Overall, i left feeling completely the opposite of how i felt after the dead space 2 demo.

I cancelled my pre-order.

LOL.

Ok then. DS2 flashbacks in full force, jeez. Overreaction much?

The notion that necromorphs are the only enemy or it's not dead space is just dumb. After three games of Altman's crazy cult and the corrupt Earth Gov, it's about time you fight actual people in this universe.

How can you base a 30 minute demo off a 10 hour experience?

I mean, I understand you disliked the demo, but perhaps you should just wait for reviews, and gaf impressions before totally dropping out of the race.

Because that is what a demo is for? It is not like the game is going to sell out or anything. If it actually turns out good despite the demo...he can still buy it.

Just finished the demo.

So, it plays the exact same as Dead Space 2, I have no idea what you guys are talking about when it comes to that. I was playing DS2 last week, haven't missed a step here, asides from shifting from the PS3 to the 360 controller. Which I don't like. I like my Dual Shock. But that's neither here nor there. Also, picked up a ton of gear, gel, engines, with no clue how to use any. But I did try out the bench thing from the main screen, pretty neat. My DS2 run is a New Game +, so everything's upgraded. Going back to seemingly less powered weapons felt odd, cause I'm used to just ripping through enemies at this point.

Human enemies are odd, but I got used to it quick enough. Also, neat touch: Human enemies RIGs get knocked down when you shoot them. I blasted a dude, his RIG turned red, and then another shot killed him. Not a huge fan of the new enemy that splits in half, cause I fucking hate that three tentacled/two legged motherfucker. But hey, I dealt with em. I think the mummified things that showed up at the drill replace the Pack from the last game. Speaking of the Drill, what the hell? Why does all the technology in the Dead Space universe want to kill me? First the Ishimura's all fucked and the cannons are shit, then ANTI, that passive-aggressive bitch continually tries to murder me, and now this drill and the formal AI on the speakers.

Visuals are fantastic. Visceral does great with the feeling of being on an alien planet/space. I'd play a game where it's just me doing Zero G space walks and exploring haunting alien planets if Visceral did it, cause they nail SPACE like nobody else. Aegis VII, Titan, Tau Volantis, it just feels... right. There's a weird beauty when you walk out of the blizzard and you see the distant sun and a large hanging moon/planet in the sky and everything is red.

Was there a place to change my RIG? I think I missed it, I completed the whole demo wearing my bloody EVA RIG.

This demo has left me feeling satisfied. Feels like Dead Space. Yeah, some of the more action-oriented stuff gives a weird feel compared to DS2 (crouch, cover), but this series has always been action-horror shooter draped in a psychological/alien horror sheen.

Consider me satisfied. I should get to work on the OT soon.

Oh, and we got Uncharted comparisons back in this one as well, huh? Sweet. I just wanna say about that... I don't mind so much. Dead Space 2/3 are sufficiently different enough that it doesn't bug me. Hell, tons of games take cues from Uncharted, and I don't find anything wrong with that. I mean, Uncharted has great gameplay, so if you can competently use it as a base while doing your own thing, what's wrong with that? It's probably a good topic for another thread, but I actually ended up preferring Dead Space 2 because it took more cues from Uncharted/UC2. It felt more dynamic as it embraced more of the action vibe while retaining the horror edge.

Plus, quite a few games do it. The style remains relatively similar at the base, but individual games have their own style and directions. Dead Space has strategic dismemberment and liberal uses of stasis, kinesis, and tension with enemy encounters along with its psychological horror nature. Max Payne 3 has Bullet-Time/Shoot-dodge with it's dark and gritty crime story. Other games like Conviction and Spec Ops: The Line may also fit into this idea of Uncharted influence. One's an espionage game focused on quick and chain kills, the other's a psychological war story that makes its impact not from its mediocre gunplay but it's narrative. Or do the Uncharted comparisons stem from the use of setpieces and the use of a crash in a snowy area? Setpieces are just a hallmark of this generation. The stranded after a snowy crash thing is a completely different context. I don't think the two are really comparable. I think I'm just rambling now. Dead Space 3 plays fantastically. I wasn't let down. Day One.

The notion that necromorphs are the only enemy or it's not dead space is just dumb. After three games of Altman's crazy cult and the corrupt Earth Gov, it's about time you fight actual people in this universe.

Yeah, we've been building up to this. Heck, with how much influence the Unitologists have had over the story being told, I was surprised we didn't have anymore encounters with them after Dana's death in DS2. But now we're coming back to this plot strand. I do hope Lexine is in this as well. She was left hanging at the end of Severed. Man, I wish we got more DLC like Severed.

Top Bottom