• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

Internet is champing at the bit to hate this game, so many would love to paint it as another huge ending controversy if they can draw any sort of paralell, I'm sure (particularly since EA are involved). It's crazy the way this shit is spreading already and the game isn't even out yet,

Internet is champing at the bit to hate this game, so many would love to paint it as another huge ending controversy if they can draw any sort of paralell, I'm sure (particularly since EA are involved). It's crazy the way this shit is spreading already and the game isn't even out yet,

It's in no way as horrible as ME3 but it definitely feels cheap.

Well, saw the leaked ending. I think it's.... not bad. Short, but not bad.

For anyone who wants to see the ending, click the link below.

Hmmm... I'll spoiler tag, but keep things vague and unspoilery anyway:
Really sick of those post credits scenes in games, especially when they basically invalidate the tone/theme of the original ending. Maybe there is more prior to it in context, but it seems kind of far fetched how the one character just up and leaves so quickly too, without looking around at least a bit

It's in no way as horrible as ME3 but it definitely feels cheap.

'Tacky' or 'cheap' would fit quite well. But I'm hoping it feels better in context of the full game maybe.

Replicant

Welp, I saw that. I'm disappointed. :/

WTH are you talking about? You're starting to sound like a viral marketer for EA. The internet is not some kind of hive mind from DS1. If a few people are disappointed, they are likely disappointed due to reasons that are different from one another. I'm mostly disappointed about the ending and the co-op. Others prob annoyed about micro-transaction. But it doesn't mean that they WANT TO hate it. If I want to hate it, I wouldn't have spent $50 on one Steelbook and another $100 on another Steelbook on top of buying the Amazon copy.

Judging by the videos this seems very different from the Dead Space 1 experience. Not that it's bad, but I like the slow approach to enemies and claustrophobic environments more in survival horror games.

Welp, I saw that. I'm disappointed. :/

WTH are you talking about? You're starting to sound like a viral marketer for EA. The internet is not some kind of hive mind from DS1. If a few people are disappointed, they are likely disappointed due to reasons that are different from one another. I'm mostly disappointed about the ending and the co-op. Others prob annoyed about micro-transaction. But it doesn't mean that they WANT TO hate it. If I want to hate it, I wouldn't have spent $50 on one Steelbook and another $100 on another Steelbook on top of buying the Amazon copy.

You're right, I'm being ridiculous. I just get frustrated by negativity and outrage that seems to surround a lot of things in video games. That said, the game isn't even out yet, can we wait like a week before we all get angry about this supposedly bad ending? :p

(The micro-transactions business really is crappy. I can't see it impacting my experience with the game but it's a pretty gross inclusion in a full-priced game and the PR spin has been insulting)

Replicant

That said, the game isn't even out yet, can we wait like a week before we all get angry about this supposedly bad ending? :p

I'm not sure how valid it is to judge the ending without having played the rest of the game, for context.

I don't know about you guys but I was there when ME3 ending bruhaha came out. And after seeing the spoiler vid, I thought "Well, it can't possibly be that bad in context". WRONG. It didn't make it any better. Sure, different developer and all that jazz but it's hard not to be disappointed after seeing that snippet. I'm hoping seeing it in context will be different but honestly, I'm not holding my breath. Sometimes you can extrapolate the missing information quite easily from what you've seen. Hopefully the game is still fun though and I'll always have DS2 as my favorite ending.

Monkey Pants

Outpost Games Creative Director
I feel like I mostly exist on this board to post this same message, but here I go again.

Speculation is fun, and having worked on games before that only got a shrug from people, I'm stoked on the energy and passion people put into Dead Space.

But please, actually see something as intended before jumping to conclusions. Read actual reviews, not hearsay versions which may or may not be accurate.

I don't imagine anyone would watch the last minute of a movie on YouTube and write it off without knowing how it gets there.

But then again, movies don't cost sixty bucks. Games cost a lot and you have a right to be diligent in your research. All the more reason to consider your sources.

The game is still a few days away from being officially released and the OT is less than 8 pages/800 posts. Would it be too outlandish to request that maybe the ending not be the prime topic of discussion? Maybe another isolated thread for those who continue to teeter on spoiling the ending?

RoKKeR

The game is still a few days away from being officially released and the OT is less than 8 pages/800 posts. Would it be too outlandish to request that maybe the ending not be the prime topic of discussion? Maybe another isolated thread for those who continue to teeter on spoiling the ending?
I suppose we could start a spoiler thread if it's going to end up being a big topic of discussion.

RoKKeR

For some reason I just YouTube'd "Dead Space 3 ending".

I then slammed my laptop shut saying "WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?"

For some reason I just YouTube'd "Dead Space 3 ending".

I then slammed my laptop shut saying "WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?"

edgevqu47.gif

You're playing with fire, son.

sephi22

Just saw the ending.
I don't get the parallels to ME3.

DS1 and DS2 didn't have amazing endings either. I like DS2's ending. I feel unaffected by this one. It doesn't sway me either way.
Still have the game pre-ordered on Amazon. Not sure if I should cancel or stay.

To those playing the game already, DS2 was near-GOTY level for me. Will I love DS3, will I like it, or will I hate it?

I'm 23 and I still experience that feel. Hm. Let's wait till the 5th. Don't want anyone to jump in there accidentally.

I full-on agree. Some of what has been already tolerated in this thread seems unprecedented for a OT for a game that has yet to officially street. I had only suggested another thread to get the jump on any claims that it was all about me.

Jesus, where do you find all of these .gif's? lol

I don't have a girlfriend and I still live with my parents.

I have lots of time on my hands.

tumblr_ljin7qz5ci1qj0zk3o1_250.gif

I full-on agree. Some of what has been already tolerated in this thread seems unprecedented for a OT for a game that has yet to officially street. I had only suggested another thread to get the jump on any claims that it was all about me.

Nah, this kind of feels par for the course, actually.

I made a spoiler thread for AC: revelations a week before official release. Because I already finished the game at that time because street date broke incredibly early.

I made a spoiler thread for AC: revelations a week before official release. Because I already finished the game at that time because street date broke incredibly early.

I am not disputing that. I just hadn't noticed any of the ending obsessed in this thread talking about getting a room.

Just saw the ending.
I don't get the parallels to ME3.

I do. But in broad strokes, really.

The manner in which a certain character ends their story, followed by the after credits snippet that seemingly invalidates the ending is like ME3's "Destroy" ending plus after credits bit. Which just feels gimmicky to me and a hook for DLC.

DS1 and DS2 didn't have amazing endings either. I like DS2's ending. I feel unaffected by this one. It doesn't sway me either way.
I loved the endings to DS1 and DS2.

DS1 had the great Alien- esque ending of finally getting away on the ship, seeing everything explode below and thinking you were safe. When suddenly, SUPRISE!, necromorph Nicole appears! And you were left wondering whether that was real or Isaac hallucinating. DS2 was enjoyable since I figured they might actually have Isaac die since he wrapped up the Nicole plot and then the credits started rolling. It might have been cliche to have Ellie save the day, but it was a suitably badass moment. And the very end with Ellie playing off of the ending to DS1 was great.

Well if this tell you anything guys. I am enjoying the game so much I even bought the pc version -preload waiting. Just saying! :p Though I'll admit, seeing a game like DS3 which has extremely high quality written all over it (especially after playing it) I find it funny people are shrugging it off like it's only worth a rent or a mediocre game. Games like DS3 come few and far between people! Enjoy it.

RoKKeR

Well a 7 on Game Informer's scale is "Average" so that score is kind of disappointing. Even more so when you consider that they gave both of the previous games 9+ scores.
Fair point. Though you certainly can't deny that the games industry is skewed towards high scores. 8's can drive people away from games nowadays and almost any big blockbuster title has Metacritic 90+ bonuses attached to them.

I love that we live in a world where 7.75 is "disappointing."

It's gone against what I've heard from folks who've played through the product. The only thing in that review that didn't sound like they were reaching (in comparison) is regarding how things drag a bit in the latter chapters.

Here's a guy who did an AMA...same guy who passed along the information on Retro mode. Has some good tips to keep in mind while playing and explains how the unitologist battles are, the suits, and just a ton of general information. No spoilers from what I've seen.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DeadSpace/comments/17jo98/i_just_beat_dead_space_3_ama_no_spoilers/

That may answer a few questions, especially about the suits if slasher didn't already mention them.

anyone at all?

I would also like to know this. I know amazon has the 20 dollar credit but I have to play tax on it and wait for it to come in.

Also: Is it possible to download a Dead Space 2/Mass Effect 3 save and have the game register them? I played DS2 on PS2 and ME3 on 360.

LOL.

Dunno who here (?) made it up, but the supposed leaked GI score is false.

nhlducks35, explain your source so we shall know those who slandered the words of Altman and the divine pieces of our architects. They will not meet the glorious convergence that is upon us.

Altman be praised.

Yep, I realized. :p

Still, I'm not expecting much from DS3. A decent game at best, I can have it at 9.99€ next week. The right price for this game.

A fine traditional blend of both passive and aggressive, though it lacks the sticktoitiveness of I am glad I cancelled my pre-order or will wait for the $5 Steam sale. Either way, the more the merrier. Three long days.

Top Bottom