• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
iD4HYJnOv5OF6.gif

Shit, I just get so curious, I can't NOT look. Which is just such a terrible habit.

I gotta zen out or something.

Yeah I do that a lot I ruined the twist in AC3 because of my curiosity.

Dragnet

I bought the original DS way back on release, played just a little more than the first chapter. Stepped out of the tram, got freaked out, nope.jpg.

After playing the DS3 demo and a mate mentioning he wouldn't mind co-oping it up with me, the same mate forced me to replay the original with him, followed by 2 which he hasn't played either and I've fortunately got downloaded from PS+.

Just got up to chapter 8 in one sitting, it's not too bad at all! I wouldn't say I'm 'enjoying' it, but it's certainly an experience. Playing it on Easy because A: I'm a pusshole and B: We just want to blast through it asap. Love the atmosphere, hate the backtracking and 'oh no, another life threatening problem that only Isaac can solve' over and over. I'm only using the Cutter so I can get the trophy, but I'm willing to try something else out if any other weapon is crazy fun. Any suggestions?

Muffdraul

I am still completely onboard for Dead Space 3.

Me too. It troubles me that none of the DS3 previews have excited me anywhere near as much as I was excited for the first two before they came out, and the demo did nothing for me. But I've always maintained faith that when I play the full version of DS3, it's all going to make sense and it's going to rule just as much. DS1 and 2 bought a lot of faith.

Me too. It troubles me that none of the DS3 previews have excited me anywhere near as much as I was excited for the first two before they came out, and the demo did nothing for me. But I've always maintained faith that when I play the full version of DS3, it's all going to make sense and it's going to rule just as much. DS1 and 2 bought a lot of faith.
the demos EA released for Dead Space and Dead Space 2 were awful. If I hadn't already played three chapters of Dead Space 1 before that demo, I would have been worried. Fortunately I knew how terribly it represented the game.

I love The Thing, which was always a reference point for the series. This going more in that direction is a great way to mix things up while staying true to the series.

Toa TAK

Banned
Me too. It troubles me that none of the DS3 previews have excited me anywhere near as much as I was excited for the first two before they came out, and the demo did nothing for me.
To be honest, for me, it was the same way with the previous two games. I wasn't really excited for either one, especially the first. Once I saw the launch trailer for the first game and played it, that was all I needed.

To be honest, for me, it was the same way with the previous two games. I wasn't really excited for either one, especially the first. Once I saw the launch trailer for the first game and played it, that was all I needed.

Honestly, GAF has always fairly treated the games on final release, but they've always been really skeptical about them before release. there's definitely a hype vacuum for the series here. I've never really understood why... but the pessimism has flown deep for Dead Space since literally the day the game was first announced.

I think it's because it's from EA, but I'm not 100% sure. EA's marketing can be terrible. They only seem to be marketing this one to people that didn't like the first two, and just hoping those of us that did are watching closely enough to know that the single player is still like the first two. Personally, I think that's a terrible idea, and I think some people who would be buying (and enjoying) the game aren't, because of the message coming out of the PR department.

I know not everyone had the luxury of spending a couple of hours with the first game prior to release. So long as GAF embrace the final product (presuming it's still as good as the first two) I don't really mind all the negativity here. I'm too used to it when it comes to this series.

I'm gonna say this now and only once. While this is common sense and widely spread, I feel it's necessary to say again.

If anyone posts the ending of the game or spoils it or anything before it's out, I will find a way to fucking obliterate you.

There's almost always someone will fuck this up.

Aye, captain. I specifically had that individual keep the answer spoiler free to my question. Since the word was pretty positive, I decided to share it to help hype and discuss. Other details were given that may have been considered safe, but I nixed them in case it was too much for others.

If there are spoilers voiced here though...there will be branding.

Muffdraul

the demos EA released for Dead Space and Dead Space 2 were awful. If I hadn't already played three chapters of Dead Space 1 before that demo, I would have been worried. Fortunately I knew how terribly it represented the game.

I love The Thing, which was always a reference point for the series. This going more in that direction is a great way to mix things up while staying true to the series.

If the DS1 demo had come out before the full game was released, it very well might have put me off to the point where I cancelled my pre-order. Awful, awful demo.

But the DS2 demo... probably somewhere in my top 5 demos of all time. I thought it was fantastic, and when I played the game I saw that it was a very accurate representation. Biggest things I noticed was that they skipped a couple of rooms and Daina looked completely different and had Ellie's voice actress doing her dialogue.

The DS3 demo just seems to indicate an overall slight drop in quality. Little niggles that "don't matter," like the main menu, the ugly menu font, the hideous weapon bench UI. Not game breaking issues, just a combination of minor things that made it feel to me like the overall design standards dropped a peg. But then I look at footage in the trailers which seem to indicate nothing of the sort. So, still hopeful!

Yeah I didn't get excited about DS1 until I started watching the developer diaries a couple months before release. And actually it wasn't even the game footage that finally got me interested, it was listening to what the dev team guys had to say. They just sounded like they knew exactly what they were doing. And then it was when I saw a preview vid titled something like "Mini boss battle goes horribly wrong" that I went apeshit and knew I had to have the game on day 1.

Toa TAK

Banned
Yeah I didn't get excited about DS1 until I started watching the developer diaries a couple months before release. And actually it wasn't even the game footage that finally got me interested, it was listening to what the dev team guys had to say. They just sounded like they knew exactly what they were doing. And then it was when I saw a preview vid titled something like "Mini boss battle goes horribly wrong" that I went apeshit and knew I had to have the game on day 1.
Ah, I forgot about the awesome dev diaries. Those also sold me on Dante's Inferno (which I also enjoyed immensely).

It's kinda funny to see Glen Schofield at Sledgehammer Games now, though.

Monkey Pants

Outpost Games Creative Director
But the DS2 demo... probably somewhere in my top 5 demos of all time. I thought it was fantastic, and when I played the game I saw that it was a very accurate representation. Biggest things I noticed was that they skipped a couple of rooms and Daina looked completely different and had Ellie's voice actress doing her dialogue.

That wasn't just Ellie doing the dialogue, that model was what Ellie's actress (who does the mocap and full performance), actually looks like. We didn't want to spoil the Daina turn in the demo, so we did that scene with her since she was in the cast already.

Her name is Sonita Henry, here she is:

sonita-henry.jpg

Bonus trivia, she also appears on the Kitty Kitty Bang Bang Sign in the Transit Station, as Ellie has an appearance below her.

DeadSpace2KittyKittyBangBang.png

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
All these dev posts here make me wish we had some sort of commentary mode. So many fun little facts.

RoKKeR

All these dev posts here make me wish we had some sort of commentary mode. So many fun little facts.
This would be so entertaining for the eye machine.

As you're trying to concentrate all you hear is codecow yelling "THAT'S MY EYE!!! CUT THAT OUT!"

Question - have any of you guys pre-ordered from Amazon? I did a few days ago but have yet to receive that $20 voucher. Do they email it when they charge you?

This would be so entertaining for the eye machine.

As you're trying to concentrate all you hear is codecow yelling "THAT'S MY EYE!!! CUT THAT OUT!"

Question - have any of you guys pre-ordered from Amazon? I did a few days ago but have yet to receive that $20 voucher. Do they email it when they charge you?

I believe you get it when the game ships. It's been awhile since I've had one of those.

Playing DS2 again and loving it. Playing through it again, i never really noticed how much detail was in the game. There's a scale early on in the game that if you step on shows his weight. When you finally get the suit and step on it again, it shows a much higher weight. Thought that was pretty neat.

Just saw the first chapter... to be honest, aweful. Completely different to Dead Space 1 and 2 (the worst part of the demo in a different location mixed with modern warfare 2).

That wasn't just Ellie doing the dialogue, that model was what Ellie's actress (who does the mocap and full performance), actually looks like. We didn't want to spoil the Daina turn in the demo, so we did that scene with her since she was in the cast already.

Her name is Sonita Henry, here she is:

[G]http://blog.newsok.com/nerdage/files/2009/04/sonita-henry.jpg[/IMG]

Bonus trivia, she also appears on the Kitty Kitty Bang Bang Sign in the Transit Station, as Ellie has an appearance below her.

[]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s241/erickdamon/DeadSpace2KittyKittyBangBang.png[/IMG]

Ellie has a new eye?!

After playing the horrible Crysis 3 MP beta, I switched my pre-order to this. I was disappointed by the demo, but loved the first two games, so my hope is there.

so I played 1, is 2 necessary or can I just get this?

Well the second game is a bit different from the first game actually. There's more story to it than what you got in the first which will probably carry on to DS3. I'd say play the second game so you can see what gameplay changes they've made and whatnot. It has much more action than the first and much more straight forward. It's a great game so I'd say give it a try.

RoKKeR

Definitely play through 2. Such a great experience, and I think you'd be missing out on a lot if you skipped it.

Doomrider

Yeah, the setpieces in DS 2 are pretty godly and the Iron Man stuff is super cool. The game is a hell of a ride and one of my most replayed games on the PS3. Also, if you have the patience, do try hardcore mode. Shit's TENSE. So good.

People's comments about the stream got me open-minded about this again. We'll see.

Dead Space 2 is my favorite game of this generation and I want to praise the developers here. I too love that opening sequence and the space jump sequence.

Ghazi

My palms sweat so much every time I get to that part. It's nerve-wracking. I haven't failed yet!

Yet...

I was so nervous during that part in Hardcore that I managed to fuck myself over 2 times in a row before getting it right. Best experience ever!

codecow

I believe you get it when the game ships. It's been awhile since I've had one of those.

Playing DS2 again and loving it. Playing through it again, i never really noticed how much detail was in the game. There's a scale early on in the game that if you step on shows his weight. When you finally get the suit and step on it again, it shows a much higher weight. Thought that was pretty neat.

Lol are you serious?

As for commentary I will probably live stream it once I get a copy.

RoKKeR

Just played through the mirror alignment section in DS2...so incredible. Sound design is top notch and you really feel like you are in space. Such a great moment.

Just played through the mirror alignment section in DS2...so incredible. Sound design is top notch and you really feel like you are in space. Such a great moment.
Honestly, those kind of moments are my favourites. The devs absolutely nail those beautiful moments. I would honestly buy a game if it was just composed of exploring alien planets and floating around in space. It'd be a lovely, eerie, almost ethereal experience. As close as I'll ever get to space and an alien world outside of my imagination. Loved seeing Saturn just hanging there and the sun in the far distance.

I always get poeticy when thinking about space and distant worlds.

Forget The Eudora, you should have called it the SS Sagan!

Salz01

Man, reading through this page about DS2 is spot on. Played it more tonight again in prep for next week. In the top 5 games for me this gen. Hands down.

Top Bottom