• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 Review Thread [Up: Embargo Up]

NinjaBoiX

The exception that proves the rule. And no I don't hate all sequels, it was a generalization obviously.
Yeah, that game that is helmed by a different director, and that no-one has played or even seen any in game footage of won't be a lame sequel at all.

Because, you know, Dark Souls. It's cool to like it and stuff.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Ya keep waiting for the day when people will get tired of these idiotic cinematic setpiece games but it never seems to come.

Are we not allowed to enjoy different types of games, now? Why exactly are the cinematic setpiece games idiotic? These types of games can co-exist right along side the likes of something like Total War or Street Fighter or whatever else.

The exception that proves the rule. And no I don't hate all sequels, it was a generalization obviously.

I'm not attacking you and sorry if I came off that way. It just seems strange the be upset over having another game in a series you like.

NinjaBoiX

Derrick hates 99.97% of games ever.

He reluctantly accepts the other 0.03%.

Seriously, he often makes sound points, but jesus, I'd take his word on whether or not to play a game with a huge fistful of salt. He's a hard man to please.

zoukka

Derrick hates 99.97% of games ever.

He reluctantly accepts the other 0.03%.

Seriously, he often makes sound points, but jesus, I'd take his word on whether or not to play a game with a huge fistful of salt. He's a hard man to please.

Unless the game has trophiez.

NinjaBoiX

Unless the game has trophiez.
Isn't that Wario's schtick?

I remember in the Valkyria Chronicles OT, he was waxing lyrical about how good it was, then about half an hour later, posted that he'd stopped playing, because it doesn't have trophies.

Tactical_76914c_133816.jpg

It's one thing to continue with a lame game just for trophies, but to actually stop playing a game you really enjoy, because it doesn't have trophies, just, what?

Seriously?

Glass Rebel

I'm starting to think that Derrick is a Naughty Dog mole to make people who value gameplay over cinematic setpieces bad. It's really starting to get annoying when every single one of his posts is followed by everybody feeling offended and making actual discussion about game design impossible. You see a Derrick post and you just know you're scrolling right into a wall of posts consisting of "Do you even like games?!" and "Hey, it's Derrick!". Not defending him, because I disagree with many of his opinions, but people should realize that attacking him on a personal level makes them look at least as ridiculous.

His complaints are absolutely valid. Every major game these days is trying to push these cinematic experiences because they're easier to market and give gamers something pretty to look at without engaging them too much from a gameplay perspective. If you enjoy them, by all means, continue enjoying them but don't act like people are just complaining for the sake of complaining. And for the record, "they're fun and I enjoy them" is not really a great argument in favour of such limited setpieces.

NinjaBoiX

I'm starting to think that Derrick is a Naughty Dog mole to make people who value gameplay over cinematic setpieces bad. It's really starting to get annoying when every single one of his posts is followed by everybody feeling offended and making actual discussion about game design impossible. You see a Derrick post and you just know you're scrolling right into a wall of posts consisting of "Do you even like games?!" and "Hey, it's Derrick!". Not defending him, because I disagree with many of his opinions, but people should realize that attacking him on a personal level makes them look at least as ridiculous.

His complaints are absolutely valid. Every major game these days is trying to push these cinematic experiences because they're easier to market and give gamers something pretty to look at without engaging them too much from a gameplay perspective. If you enjoy them, by all means, continue enjoying them but don't act like people are just complaining for the sake of complaining. And for the record, "they're fun and I enjoy them" is not really a great argument in favour of such limited setpieces.
The issue isn't that he dislikes games occasionally, it's that he seems to dislike pretty much every game.

Which begs the question, why does he play games, and frequent a gaming forum if he seemingly dislikes the vast majority of them?

He's an enigma. Quite honestly, I find it fascinating.

gdt

Good stuff! Feeling good that I kept the faith! No way it has a similar reception on GAF though.

The issue isn't that he dislikes games occasionally, it's that he seems to dislike pretty much every game.

Which begs the question, why does he play games, and frequent a gaming forum if he seemingly dislikes the vast majority of them?

He's an enigma. Quite honestly, I find it fascinating.

Same. He hates everything except a couple old games. And in the very rare case of praise it usually has a negative connotation to another game or the post still comes off negative.

Andrew.

Banned
Same. He hates everything except a couple old games. And in the very rare case of praise it usually has a negative connotation to another game or the post still comes off negative.

He likes a couple old Obsidian PC games, Deus Ex and Fallout NV. Everything else is shit apparently. It makes no sense, but that's what is so fucking entertaining.

I'm kind of interested in this but I never finished either of the first two. That's mostly an atmosphere thing though; they're unrelenting in a way that eventually just becomes unpleasant and not fun for me. Was going to skip this one but now I'm curious about building your own guns. I'll wait for reviews. Don't care a whole lot if it's not quite as 'scary' as the previous ones(were they really that scary in the first place? It's more than they're just disgusting)

NinjaBoiX

He likes a couple old Obsidian PC games, Deus Ex and Fallout NV. Everything else is shit apparently. It makes no sense, but that's what is so fucking entertaining.
To be fair, he's a bit of a celeb on here, everyone seems to know who he is. There may be method to his madness!

I think a lot of his issues stem from devouring games so quickly. He often canes a game in a day or two, so all the issues probably seem a lot worse than they actually are.

Familiarity breeds contempt.

scitek

I can't believe reviews anymore. I've been burned a few times in the past few months by games getting 8s and 9s that I ended up hating. Sad, because I pre-ordered Dead Space 2 and loved the hell out of it when I finally played it, but I'm not getting this game until it's really cheap, mainly because everything I've seen and read about it has been a complete turn-off for me.

Meanwhile, Crytek's gone a long way in repairing their reputation with PC gamers after botching the launch of Crysis 2 by saying all the right things about 3, so they'll be getting my money this month since I'm actually looking forward to their game.

I can't believe reviews anymore. I've been burned a few times in the past few months by games getting 8s and 9s that I ended up hating.
I usually don't read reviews (for the fear of spoilers) but I have a couple of reviewers that I trust and whose's opinion has some weight (Sessler, GI folks, Gamebanshee, GAF Hive Mind™). Perhaps try something like that. If that'll help. :/

edit:

You deny the effect big dumb linear setpiece games have had on the industry in the last ~7 years? Both creatively and financially?

I just enjoy games, man. Really, it's not that hard. Nothing special about it.
I enjoyed lots of games that would fit in your moronic generalization like Uncharted 2, God of War(s), Dead Space(s), etc.
I enjoyed Modern Warfare 3. Why? Because I played Spec Ops with my friend and it was a blast. Pure fun. That's a dumb game by the standard of 99% of GAF population.
On the other hand , I love Demon's/Dark Souls to the bone and have recently started SSX. Last weekend I played Kinect with my gf and a couple of friends.
I'm also enjoying KOTOR on my Xbox 1 (very LTTP).
etc. etc.
See where am I going?

It's not all doom and gloom and that's why I'm sick of your cynicism and loathing. We are in the age when there are SO MANY DIFFERENT GAMES on SO MANY SYSTEMS for EVERYONE to enjoy and I'm loving it.
Stop bitching and moaning about everything and enjoy the games YOU DO ENJOY (if there are any?).

Baaahhhh, why the fuck do I even try?

.la1n

Managed to snag the game early today but won't be able to play until after work, I love Dead Space, loved the demo. It's different but it still looks like 10x the game RE6 should have been. If you are going to do action with hints of horror at least do it like this.

Doomrider

You deny the effect big dumb linear setpiece games have had on the industry in the last ~7 years? Both creatively and financially?

Yeah, there's no denying that. I mean, there's a place for that stuff in the market for sure, but it shouldn't be nearly as big as it is now.

I do like big set-pieces, but in the right measure. For what it's worth, I think Visceral can create some really cool moments (DS2 reminded me of Uncharted 2 in that regard, and this is a compliment).

Mononoke

Banned

I actually kind of agree with this.

I mean, Dragon Age and Mass Effect were increasingly linear as the series went on and basically became cinematic set pieces. I'm starting to think these developers really want to make film, rather than games.

Draft

I can feel it happening. Dead Space is entering the Mass Effect cycle. The third game will be defended voraciously for a couple months, and then everyone will realize human enemies, ellie's tits, Phil Collins, crouching and Isaac's determined stares did actually make Dead Space a dumber, less interesting series.

JebusF

Neo Member
Embargo has lifted, here's our review [8/10] - Link.

Can't believe they have human enemies in the game, tbh. And I felt the first half of the game is FAR superior to the second half.

Really? Compared to DS2, maybe. But have there been lower scores than 7-8?
I guess I should say relatively bad, compared to other games in the series and what I generally expect from a game of this caliber. Usually a bunch of high 7's and low 8's is a good indicator of a somewhat decent but disappointing sequel, from my experience.

Of course, these are reviews we're talking about so it's not like there are any solid rules.

Hmm... looks like it might just be polarizing, then?

Derrick01

Banned
Yeah, there's no denying that. I mean, there's a place for that stuff in the market for sure, but it shouldn't be nearly as big as it is now.

I do like big set-pieces, but in the right measure. For what it's worth, I think Visceral can create some really cool moments (DS2 reminded me of Uncharted 2 in that regard, and this is a compliment).

Balance is the key for sure. I don't mind these types of games at times (I put Uncharted 3, Resistance 3 and Spec Ops on my last 2 goty lists) but we're at a point where it's almost all we get on the AAA front now. Increasingly dumb or non-existent gameplay in favor of watching the pretty explosions of things that you didn't even make blow up. This thread kind of spun out of control in the last page or so but the comment I was originally responding to was Amirox's where he quoted a review that was basically saying "yeah they dumbed the game down but fuck these setpieces are sooo cool!". It's disappointing to see more and more games doing this.

I guess I should say relatively bad, compared to other games in the series and what I generally expect from a game of this caliber. Usually a bunch of high 7's and low 8's is a good indicator of a somewhat decent but disappointing sequel, from my experience.

Of course, these are reviews we're talking about so it's not like there are any solid rules.

I think it just has trilogy syndrome. The sequel defined the experience, but there are probably not enough changes to excite people the same way the series did before. Of course, I haven't played a second of it to verify any of that, but basing it off people's reactions of Mass Effect 3, Assassin's Creed 3, Uncharted 3, Gears of War 3, etc.

mujun

You seem to be switching topics. I am referring to your initial claim that reviewers are influenced by the reaction of their readership, as some have stated that some people complain about not giving high enough scores to their favourite games. You claimed that the problem with game reviews is the audience, which I argued against, as such an observation completely fails to take into account the nuances of the issue in question.

Are you referring to where I said "clamor for them"?

Clamor for review scores, not certain review scores.

Top Bottom