• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 Review Thread [Up: Embargo Up]

Bedlam

As expected, early reviews and magazines with cover stories were a little hyperbolic with their scores, to put it nicely. Obligations, you know.

Still, seems like it's a good game overall.

The scores suddenly go from awesome to meh? Weird.
What's weird about it? It baffles me that there are still people out there who apparently don't know how this works. It's like that for almost every AAA title.

Patryn

Based on Twitter conversations between Giant Bomb staff, I'm going to guess they won't be giving it a great score.

See:

(In reference to people already talking about playing it on Twitter)

Brad Shoemaker said:
Brad Shoemaker said:
Jeff Gerstmann said:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Ugh, typical Dan Whitehead review. Search the site for his review of the original DS and you'll see that he's never had an affinity for the franchise, and that the same specious nit-picky complaints that he had about the original are still in play 5 years on.

Mononoke

Banned
Yeah realise 2-4 is bad right? 5-6 worth a look. 7-8 good. 9-10 outstanding.

To me, 7s and 8s is good.

But I guess you are just joking. I mean, you have to be!

I think the thing is, with gaming - the cost is so high. So 7-8 is "bad" for some gamers. There is a reason why in this industry, critics/fans often only us the 6-10 scale.

$64 isn't worth paying to some, if the game is a 7/10. It's hard to think of another industry, where the pride for the product is so high. So this is one reason you see these kind of reactions.

I notice alot of the reviews tend to say something along the lines of "It's a good game, but not what I was hoping for" hell that's word for word what Penny Arcade said. So with that, does that mean people had much higher expectations, but then with all the bad PR, how could they? Interesting, but the reviews overall are solid.

Polygon said:
That I've been able to talk this much about Dead Space 3 without speaking to the introduction of co-op to the series is to Visceral's credit. If you were to ignore co-op completely, you would never know it was there. Dead Space 3 doesn't fall prey to the trap of co-op design. It doesn't feel like something is missing when you're playing by yourself — there's no computer-controlled partner with you all the time to make sure the game functions properly. The only time you'd even notice that you could play the game with a partner is when you come across one of a few co-op-only side missions that can't otherwise be accessed.
Seems good to me. So much for "OMG, IT HAS CO OP, DS3 IS D.O.A, LOL..." craziness.

fixed. This wouldn't be a big deal if it wasn't killing gaming.

CkXjeZG.jpg

Ezio

Waiting for my copy to arrive from newegg, should be here within a couple days. I'm pretty stoked to play this game.

Quentyn

From the Kotaku review:

Dead Space 3 is a better game when you ignore that this is meant to be the third installment of a horror series. It's a better game when you ignore that it's a Dead Space title and just play for the co-op experience.

:/

Mononoke

Banned
I notice alot of the reviews tend to say something along the lines of "It's a good game, but not what I was hoping for" hell that's word for word what Penny Arcade said. So with that, does that mean people had much higher expectations, but then with all the bad PR, how could they? Interesting, but the reviews overall are solid.

Some critics - have made a point to say, if a game isn't improving with each game, then it no longer deserves the same score it once got.

So I think that's what they are saying here. It's a good game, but not a GREAT game which they were hoping for.

Moff

too bad, I really enjoyed the first 3 hours so far, apart from the prologue and chapter 1, it was pretty much pure dead space. but apparently it will get worse :/

Mington

Polygon review
http://www.polygon.com/game/dead-space-3/2886#review_update_3702367

For Dead Space veterans, Dead Space 3 is likely to prove the easiest game in the series — at least on normal difficulty. The new weapon crafting system necessitates an additional change to the equipment system in the form of universal ammunition. On normal, it's more likely than not that you'll find enough ammo and enough raw resources that scarcity is just never a problem.

For more masochistic Dead Space players, there are several difficulty modes available right away, and I would advise setting the game to hard — this makes resources and ammo more scarce, and enemies take less damage and injure Isaac and Carver more severely.

Hard it is then

DaBuddaDa

So pretty much every worry and complaint people had leading up to this game turned out to be 100% true. Great. Absolution all over again. Next up: Tomb Raider and Splinter Cell!

Hindle

Banned
Cinamatic games are dying trust me. when this and TR receive terrible reception and bomb then publishers will have to question why.

Even The Last Of Us is a game that I see Underperforming at retail.

mujun

You deny the effect big dumb linear setpiece games have had on the industry in the last ~7 years? Both creatively and financially?

I'm sure you are right.

And, this might be wrong (and I'll only speak to consoles as I haven't gamed on a PC for years) but I feel like we have gotten a whole bunch more quality in pretty much every genre not to mention more variety in game sizes (indie to triple AAA) and game genres compared to the PS2 and PS1 generations (probably gens before that, too, though they are merely hazy memories in my age addled brain).

Saty

From Eurogamer:

Dead Space 3 is a contradiction. Gorgeous but scruffy; tightly packed yet stretched too thin; often frustrating, frequently thrilling and bursting at the seams with stuff, not all of which fits comfortably inside the boundaries the series has set for itself. It's certainly not a great game, except perhaps as a poster child for the kitchen-sink development mentality of a console generation in its twilight months. But it does manage to balance out every misstep with something worthwhile. Sadly, newcomers with no preconceptions will likely enjoy this rollercoaster more than the series' fans.

Based on Twitter conversations between Giant Bomb staff, I'm going to guess they won't be giving it a great score.

See:

(In reference to people already talking about playing it on Twitter)

Well...you don't think even Dead Space 1 and 2 would be a lot better if all of the necromorphs had ice cream cones in their hands, and had their growls replaced with "ICE CREAM" "ROCKY ROAD" "I GOT YOU MINT PISTACHIO"?

Hindle

Banned
I just don't understand game developers, they're supposed to be very smart but looking at games like this, it's clear they are not.

I think it just has trilogy syndrome. The sequel defined the experience, but there are probably not enough changes to excite people the same way the series did before. Of course, I haven't played a second of it to verify any of that, but basing it off people's reactions of Mass Effect 3, Assassin's Creed 3, Uncharted 3, Gears of War 3, etc.
ME3, Uncharted 3, and GoW 3 all reviewed very well, though. AC3 reviewed decently but given its relatively major flaws it's easy to see why it scored lower than previous games in the series besides simple sequel fatigue.

I don't put too much weight in reviews, especially for certain games that I am almost sure I will enjoy (a recent example would be FE: Awakening, I would buy that game regardless of the review scores) but for something that I'm on the fence with like DS3 I find them to be somewhat useful as a general guide.

Many of the changes that have been made for DS3 seem to be trying to appeal to a broader audience which I would typically expect to lead to reviews that are even more positive than the ones previous games in the series received (FE: Awakening works again here). So, with all of that said, these scores concern me somewhat.

From Eurogamer:

Yeah, that's kind of what I've been assuming about this game. I love Dead Space, it's one of my favorite series this gen, but I've had a bad taste in my mouth about this one for awhile now. Will not be picking up for $60, and it makes me a little sad.

Mik_Pad

Banned
Set pieces? Unknown. Cinematics? Absolutely. It's half game half movie, like Uncharted.
I would understand if you where talking about Heavy Rain, I think we will have to wait and see but so far ND has shown they are more focused in gameplay.

DaBuddaDa

I would understand if you where talking about Heavy Rain, I think we will have to wait and see but so far ND has shown they are more focused in gameplay.

From what I've seen, ND is more focused on showing environments and a dude and a girl walking around them talking about being scared and stuff.

Derrick01

Banned
Cinamatic games are dying trust me. when this and TR receive terrible reception and bomb then publishers will have to question why.

I haven't seen anything change in game design to suggest this. The only alternative we usually get are open world games that are treated like linear setpiece games (like far cry 3) where the only advantage the open world has is it gives the devs the ability to litter the map with useless chore activities.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Trust you?

So what do you want to see succeed in their place? I certainly still enjoy them.

Top Bottom