• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 Review Thread [Up: Embargo Up]

BearPawB

Banned
I know what you mean. I can't believe some reviews make me *read* instead of distilling an entire game's quality into an arbitrary number. Insanity!

I know everyone likes to shit on Kotaku on GAF, but i actually thought this reviews was the most helpful one i read.

Hindle

Banned
Trust you?

So what do you want to see succeed in their place? I certainly still enjoy them.

Games where the gameplay is the centre of a devs attention. No more scripted events which you know are going to happen because they're that predictable. Hopefully incredibly deep, engrossing gameplay makes a return.

They've just turned this into yet another cover shooter with co op lol.

Mononoke

Banned
LOL what ND games you've played this gen?

With ND, you already expect that. I don't think it's unreasonable for fans to like a series for a certain design, then be let down when a later game abandons that for something else.

To be clear, I don't think linear/cinematic quality in games are a BAD thing. But IMO it's usually awful when it's not a series/developer's bread and butter, and they try to make it so. Or they mish mash it for odd results.

ND is good at what they do.

EDIT: My reply is kind of off with quoting you. Oh well.

Pooya

80/100 18 reviews http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/dead-space-3/critic-reviews

looks like repeat of Resident Evil 6 but not as extreme, they are probably better at cinematic games than whatever Capcom made. still looks like the trend of we make it explosion filled set piece driven gaming is going to end soon, if they are not received well critically which might lead to poor sales as well, or just selling poorly because people aren't interested anymore. too bad some good IPs might be sacrificed here. hopefully DS isn't shelved like Medal of Honor.

I think I'll wait on this one for a decent discount.

It's simply not the follow up to Dead Space 2 that I was hoping for.

spekkeh

Banned
Maybe it's just a sign o the times and a change in reviewer attitude.

Dead Space 3 consequently becomes caught in the dissonance of the extreme glory of its combat and presentation, and the pervasive tedium of almost everything else it does.

AAAA games that did this would still get 9.9s not so long ago. Maybe we(they)'re finally starting to hold games up to a higher standard, and recognize these games as the Michael Bay equivalents they are.

Until the next gen arrives of course, and all style no substance gets 9.9s again.

pelican

Based on Twitter conversations between Giant Bomb staff, I'm going to guess they won't be giving it a great score.

The problem is with them using the simplistic 5 score it will either equate to 8/10 or 6/10.

I really which the guys would change their review system to the more sensible 10 scale.

Cinamatic games are dying trust me. when this and TR receive terrible reception and bomb then publishers will have to question why.

Even The Last Of Us is a game that I see Underperforming at retail.

You kidding?! If anything they are on the rise and will be more common next gen. Better get used to them buddy, they aren’t going anywhere.

Unskippable cutscenes? Please tell me you can skip them on replays. Please!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-05-dead-space-3-review

Ugh. Max Payne 3 all over again.

Patryn

The problem is with them using the simplistic 5 score it will either equate to 8/10 or 6/10.

I really which the guys would change their review system to the more sensible 10 scale.

Why shift the scale? If it's a 4 out of 5, it's good but not great, if it's a 3 out of 5, it's merely ok.

The 5-point scale makes a LOT more sense to me than the 10-point scale. I'd rather everyone shift to that.

Kotaku ripped this game up this morning. Gave it just a terrible review. Ouch. If I were EA management and the game's dev studio I would not be having a good morning.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Games where the gameplay is the centre of a devs attention. No more scripted events which you know are going to happen because they're that predictable. Hopefully incredibly deep, engrossing gameplay makes a return.

They've just turned this into yet another cover shooter with co op lol.
Makes a return?

Shooters have never been "deep, engrossing" games. The shooters we have on consoles today are more complex than what you would have found on any previous generation console.

Hindle

Banned
I haven't seen anything change in game design to suggest this. The only alternative we usually get are open world games that are treated like linear setpiece games (like far cry 3) where the only advantage the open world has is it gives the devs the ability to litter the map with useless chore activities.

I think the first half of this year is the beginning of the end for them. I doubt DS 3 or TR will set the world alight sales wise, Gears will no doubt sell less then the trilogy.

They just need to look at the success of Minecraft and how it's a game that's all about gameplay.

Or I could be completely wrong in which case gaming is screwed.

Patryn

Kotaku ripped this game up this morning. Gave it just a terrible review. Ouch. If I were EA management and the game's dev studio I would not be having a good morning.

It appears that only Kotaku has really torn the game to pieces, and even then they still recommended it for the multiplayer aspect. I'd say that given that plus the rest of the reviews, they're having a pretty good morning.

EDIT: and as I write this out, immediately another negative review shows up.

spekkeh

Banned
Publishers really shouldn't set embargoes for their games, literally every game that had one underperformed in some way.

Which is then why they should, otherwise there would be less pre-orders.

Videogamer review:
When EA showcased Dead Space 3’s action-focused new direction at last year’s E3, I steered clear of the dissenting voices and naysayers. Visceral knows what it’s doing, I thought. When coop was revealed, I chose to think about the ways in which another player could add to the horror rather than detract from it. I didn’t even get angry about microtransactions and 11 pieces of launch DLC. The proof would be in the pudding - the gristly, deformed, pus-spewing pudding.

5/10
http://www.videogamer.com/reviews/dead_space_3_review.html

lol

Batman

Banned
I just hope for the next game they get rid of co-op and go back to a single player only experience, no multiplayer, no co-op, put all their resources into the main game.

Based on what I'm seeing so far it seems to be a good game. I hope people find nothing wrong with that. Since it's a Dead Space game you kind of know what you're getting yourself into anyway, yeah? My copy was shipped from Game fly yesterday and I'm excited to play through it.

Kikujiro

Cinamatic games are dying trust me. when this and TR receive terrible reception and bomb then publishers will have to question why.

Even The Last Of Us is a game that I see Underperforming at retail.

Saying cinematic games are dying is like saying blockbuster movies are dying. No they aren't going anywhere, mass public like their cinematic games and blockbuster movies, the good news is that there's room for other things as well.

You kidding?! If anything they are on the rise and will be more common next gen. Better get used to them buddy, they aren’t going anywhere.

I don't mind it personally. I just wish developers would pay proper writers and get a good director in. Its fucking vanity that some of these devs honestly think their making a high quality story.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm playing the game now and let me say clearly,

the love triangle is fucking awful and should never have been in this game

I cannot emphasize that enough.

Mononoke

Banned
Saying cinematic games are dying is like saying blockbuster movies are dying. No they aren't going anywhere, mass public like their cinematic games and blockbuster movies, the good news is that there's room for other things as well.

The bigger issue is, taking an established franchise - and turning it into a cinematic/blockbuster.

Uncharted started off as one, and was successful. Why would a company think taking an established franchise and making it something else, would work? It only cuts off the fans (you know the people that bought the games in the first place) - and by this point, they aren't going to pick up on new fans (or at least, not in large enough numbers to make the risk worth it). Seems like a failing strategy.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
God damn it they've fucked it up haven't they? :(

Man I hope not, but a quick reading of reviews seems like it will be a bit of a bummer for fans of the series, yet another third game of a trilogy this generation that tries to be different and more open to new people to end up seemingly shitting on those who had been buying the series up to this point.

I hope they haven't ended up ruining Ellie either, isaac could be a bit of a numpty but she was such a great character in DS2, but now she apparently has had a boob job and no mention of the eye, blech.

spekkeh

Banned
Why shift the scale? If it's a 4 out of 5, it's good but not great, if it's a 3 out of 5, it's merely ok.

The 5-point scale makes a LOT more sense to me than the 10-point scale. I'd rather everyone shift to that.

They regularly add half points, turning it into a 10 point scale again. Otherwise it's just multiply by 2. I prefer the 4-star scale some movie outlets use because it doesn't really translate well to anything, and there's no middle ground either.

I just hope for the next game they get rid of co-op and go back to a single player only experience, no multiplayer, no co-op, put all their resources into the main game.

Doubt they'll be a next game.

Sad to see this game go this route. I really liked the 1st DS, 2nd was good too.

Oh well, waiting to find this in the bargain bin.

I'm playing the game now and let me say clearly,

the love triangle is fucking awful and should never have been in this game

I cannot emphasize that enough.

I just read a review that mentioned that and I cannot fathom why in the world they would try to put something stupid like that in the game.

FFS man, just give me my 'autistic and retarded' mute Isaac from DS1 instead of forcing soap opera drama in the game.

"PAR reviews Dead Space 3: the game does everything right except the horror"

That's a bit of an oversight.

icespide

Banned
is anyone else tired of sites trying too hard with clever tag lines for reviews? especially polygon "engineering violence" derp

Hindle

Banned

Ugh. Max Payne 3 all over again.

I disagree.

Next generation, several developers are returning who are always about gameplay. Bungie, Vince Zampella, Jason West, Arkane, Retro etc. when these guys inevitably raise the bar for gameplay and make tons and tons of money doing so everyone else will follow suit.

Valve as well, but they've never been away.

spekkeh

Banned
Every combat encounter - and there are many - is almost always twice as long as it should be. Any time Isaac accomplishes anything, whether it’s solving a puzzle or just finding a new area, he’s assaulted by a small army of waggly-armed idiots that need to be sliced up in classic Dead Space style. Being overrun by Necros has always been the least appealing part of the series, but now it’s a fundamental part of the game - by the end of the campaign I must have slaughtered over 1000 of them, and did so with no real skill or tactical consideration, just aggression, hope and just enough Stasis to slow a few of them down. It’s a slog.

Ugh stuff like this was exactly what already annoyed me and stopped me from finishing 2. A constant assault of necromorphs accompanying everything you do, just gets tiresome. Well I'm glad in a way, because I feared that this game would turn out getting rave reviews, after which I'd have to buy it again and then justified EA's approach. I won't rain on anyone's parade any further, have fun everyone that does buy it.

Patryn

They regularly add half points, turning it into a 10 point scale again. Otherwise it's just multiply by 2. I prefer the 4-star scale some movie outlets use because it doesn't really translate well to anything, and there's no middle ground either.

Who's they? I'm specifically talking about Giant Bomb, and they've never added a half point.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
8's are bad now? Just seems to be all over the place. People acting like it got 5's. Polygon gave it a 9.5, seems that the scores are just heavily dependent on the reviewer for this one.

Most reviews seemed to like co-op, so that excites me.

Top Bottom