• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 Review Thread [Up: Embargo Up]

Yep that discussion between Gies and Bennett makes it pretty obvious what the problem with games reviewing is, and always has been. Rating it as some kind of hardware appliance (hence the name review of course). At the end of the PS1 era game review sites were getting in a pickle because every game started to score a 9.9. It had more options and better graphics than the previous one, therefore it must be better. They got out a couple of times by the console cycle restarting, but it's painful to see that there are still reviewers out there that lack the necessary introspection.

scores need to go. then people would just roll their eyes at a review filled with hyperbole rather than complaining about the effect it's having on the metacritic, or throwing around accusations of money hatting.

I mean, if you look at the review sites that are giving the game good press and the ones that aren't... it'd be a pretty bonkers group of sites to money hat.

my point? it's a divisive game that some people genuinely love and some people genuinely don't. Gies poor writing doesn't make me doubt how genuine his opinion might be.

And complaints about the looting... there were people that weren't already opening every single cupboard and stomping every single box, corpse and dead monster in the first two games? That can't have just been me.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Hey man, it's basically the same dudes playing the same instruments. Pretty much exactly the same thing really when you think about it. But, like, haters gonna hate and stuff. Besides, Metallica was never really "metal" to begin with, that's just fanboy nostalgia talking.

Not just that but maybe dudes just want to branch out and try different things.

Maybe Dead Space 3 isn't entirely successful but they tried new things. If they kept releasing the same game over and over they would've gotten killed for that too.

todahawk

Not just that but maybe dudes just want to branch out and try different things.

Maybe Dead Space 3 isn't entirely successful but they tried new things. If they kept releasing the same game over and over they would've gotten killed for that too.

true, it must be really hard to balance innovation vs staying true to a game's roots and potential stagnation.

Tacitus_

Hope they patch it and allow you to upgrade your scout robots without having to buy the dlc. And they guys in the bombcast were 100% right about this shouldn't be a thing if you pay 60 bucks for this game. It just feels gross to have paid full price and then get home and have trying to milk you for a couple of more bucks.

I'll def buy it, but only once it drops in price.

It's pure milking allright, the duration on bots are such that it basically refreshes in sync to the next resource node. I wonder what effect it would even have, since the only reason I missed a rich node was because I hadn't gone back to a bench to retrieve my bot.

AwShucks

So far I have to say the Kotaku review is way off base.

Imagine that. And for those curious I'm mostly talking about the "uninspired levels" or the repetitive gameplay (which it is, but it's standard Dead Space stuff).

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
And complaints about the looting... there were people that weren't already opening every single cupboard and stomping every single box, corpse and dead monster in the first two games? That can't have just been me.

I don't have the full game yet, but I don't understand it either. DS 1 basically beat it across your head that it was a good idea to stomp every corpse, unless you wanted the dead to get revived by the flying necromorphs. :|

todahawk

I don't have the full game yet, but I don't understand it either. DS 1 basically beat it across your head that it was a good idea to stomp every corpse, unless you wanted the dead to get revived by the flying necromorphs. :|

And go the opposite way the objective light trail tells you to go!

I'm picking up DS3 this weekend but in 1 & 2 I was fairly (read as extremely) obsessive about finding every crate and double smashing every corpse to get the max possible items. And explore explore explore.

But yeah, I use TK on every corpse I see to make sure it isn't going to get up and come after me. If I can't TK and move it I pick up the nearest sharp object to hurl at it.

Madouu

gamekult gave it a 5/10

It's hard to not be disappointed at Dead Space 3 when the game has lost pretty much all the things that made the franchise appealing. It is often violent but never really disturbing, action oriented but lacking the faster gameplay that should go with such a gameplay direction, and it recycles ideas from other successful games without ever bringing its own to the table. Visceral Media may have shown that they can make a very beautiful and technically faultless game, but for a production of this scale, it can be argued that it is the bare minimum. The game evokes Gears of War, Uncharted, Lost Planet or even Killzone but very rarely will it call Dead Space to the player's mind. You may like the game if it is one of your first experiences in the TPS genre, but for most, this mechanical and soulless blockbuster will be easily forgotten.

+
coop brings more dynamism to the game
beautiful environments
crafting system
the brutal clashes

-
Forgettable atmosphere
dull bosses
trivial stuff taking too much space in the scenario
the fights against humans
unsuitable gameplay
way too action oriented
Survival, really?
Horror, where?

Curufinwe

Seems unlikely that the DS3 team will be getting any MetaCritic bonuses. Game Informer, Polygon and Gaming Nexus can only do so much.

Top Bottom