• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space Remake - Atmospheric Walkthrough - 2 Min

Nickolaidas

Looks.... like Dead Space.
It looks as if the PS3 version was the game on Low Settings, while the Remake is on Ultra High settings. They tried so hard not to deviate from the source material that so far it looks like a super glorified remaster rather than a remake.

This can be good for the purists, but bad for those who expected a renewed feel like in RE2make compared to the original RE2.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
If this is a way for the team to get their hands into Dead Space before making a proper sequel, then I'm all good and it's a great way to capture what worked with DS1.
If it's just gonna be Dead Space 1 Remake (and probably 2 latter) just for the sake of it and then let the IP sleep for the next 15 years... that would be a huge waste.

Edit: that alive system is amazing, They can't make this just for remaking the first two games. DS4 must be coming down the line.

Last edited:

EDMIX

If this is a way for the team to get their hands into Dead Space before making a proper sequel, then I'm all good and it's a great way to capture what worked with DS1.
If it's just gonna be Dead Space 1 Remake (and probably 2 latter) just for the sake of it and then let the IP sleep for the next 15 years... that would be a huge waste.

Edit: that alive system is amazing, They can't make this just for remaking the first two games. DS4 must be coming down the line.

Well...who knows.

I think a lot of that might be really based on if a market exist for such horror titles still outside of Resident Evil. I don't think EA does things just for the sake of it. If a market exist, they will continue to try to get money out of it, so I believe it continuing has a lot to do with how its received.

So as a huge Dead Space fan, I wish this was signs of Dead Space 4, but I need to be realistic. This is testing the waters, you'll see those remakes keep being made IF they keep selling and then Dead Space 4 as those remakes are proof of concept that someone still wants the IP and fans give feedback on those new ideas they are bringing as its clear a lot of this really is getting that team ready for a Dead Space continuation, but I don't see it ironclad.

Those days of EA are long over and the company from what I see doesn't really do things that way anymore. They are more open to being flexible and moving on if it doesn't work out, they are open to a remake even with saying in the past they wouldn't, they did remaster even when the said they wouldn't and that lead into other remasters, so the whole Ironclad EA thing isn't like what it was in the past.

Many things are subject to change and if we see a Dead Space 4 sounds greatly on how those remakes do. As the remaster of many EA games had to do with how Burnout did, as I'm sure if it bombed, you probably wouldn't even see EA waste time with that Mass Effect Collection, so this has my day 1 support easily.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
It looks as if the PS3 version was the game on Low Settings, while the Remake is on Ultra High settings. They tried so hard not to deviate from the source material that so far it looks like a super glorified remaster rather than a remake.

This can be good for the purists, but bad for those who expected a renewed feel like in RE2make compared to the original RE2.
Tbh this is good at least everything remain intact

We dont want to see developer strayed too far with their remakes like resident evil 3

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Oh I like it.
I was afraid of heavy changes but they seems to be very close to the original: it's perfect.
Now I'm interest. Graphics looks fantastic and atmosphere seems preserved.
happy youtube GIF by Hyper RPG

Mato

I've never player a Dead Space game, is the map linear like Half Life? Or more interconnected like Metroid?

TVexperto

wow another remake...yawn..how creatively bankrupt is EA these days?? do they even bother to make something new and innovative instead? mass effect remastered, battleshit 2042, dead space remake, need for speed remastered, ...whats next? plants vs zombies enhanced remastered??

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I've never player a Dead Space game, is the map linear like Half Life? Or more interconnected like Metroid?

Linear. You revisit some older locations later but it's not in an open-ended capacity, the game is a linear romp.

Mokus

To me feels more like a remaster than a remake. The environment needs better quality detail and much better lighting.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
At first glance I though I‘m looking at the original Dead Space… Will buy it regardless but I was expecting a bit of an overhaul like RE2 to be honest.

Killer8

It's hard to judge because it's obviously very in-progress. Half the texturing is missing after all. I'm not a fan at all of some of the new animation. Isaac for example now walks like a dwarf trying to find the bathroom before it shits itself. The plasma cutter has a strange unnecessary recoil animation added to it. The whole thing has a 'fan game' look to it.

Despite all of the new occlusion work they are doing, the sound is also not as impactful as the original. There seems to be a whole layer of atmospheric SFX that's missing from the soundscape. And I don't like how the plasma cutter now has this weird energy sound to it rather than the boominess of the original. The new plasma rifle sounds good though.

Last edited:

CuNi

I honestly had to recheck the video title because to me it looked nearly indistinguishable from the original.
And I don't mean this in a troll sense, I really honestly couldn't make out a huge difference from that video to the original.
If that is going to be the end result than for one, they did a near perfect job in replicating the original assets, gameplay and atmosphere but also... what reason for it's existence are there then exactly?

Edit: Rechecking the Comparisons they made, the difference is more obvious. Maybe in my inner eye, I was picturing how DS3 looked like and applied that to 1.

Last edited:

peronmls

Why not give to Visceral Games for them to remastered? or maybe it wouldnt be right after letting them go and taking their product away. The first thing these people need to do is make sure all assets are in game which they probably won't be because they are switching sound effects for no reason. Like most remasters some people think silence needs filled or there is not enough noise. It's goofy. Soundeffects are always downsampled to 16bit 44100 for any game even if you use a 24 bit soundeffect. Some of these designers are out of touch. Like someone else said. Dead Space has not even aged yet for a remake.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Nice audio, but i dont get much sound from the rear, the directional sounds, spund like they are coming from the top left and right.

If I didn’t know this was not the original and I watched it on my phone just as I did, I would have a hard time telling you it was a remake and not gameplay from the original, that’s not saying the remake looks bad or won’t look incredible, especially since this is a wip, it’s a testament to how amazing the first game looked.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I'm not going to judge too harshly as this is clearly early footage with missing textures all over the place. I do think its a testament to just how good the first 2 games looked though.
I played Dead Space 1 and 2 on PC around Christmas time, and at max settings and 4k they could easily pass for XB1/PS4 games.

Fbh

Well it definitely still looks like a work in progress.
Hopefully the visuals improve significantly by the final release. I don't have a lot of interest in this if it's not going to have a significant amount of new content or really nice graphics.

Why not give to Visceral Games for them to remastered? or maybe it wouldnt be right after letting them go and taking their product away. The first thing these people need to do is make sure all assets are in game which they probably won't be because they are switching sound effects for no reason. Like most remasters some people think silence needs filled or there is not enough noise. It's goofy. Soundeffects are always downsampled to 16bit 44100 for any game even if you use a 24 bit soundeffect. Some of these designers are out of touch. Like someone else said. Dead Space has not even aged yet for a remake.
Visceral closed down in 2017.

brian0057

Banned
I don't like how the Plasma Cutter just... goes down as he fires.
It looks so wrong. I hope that's just a placeholder.

Hugare

Most pointless remake of all time

Remaking this game is such a risk, because it's almost flawless and aged amazingly.

There are so many things that they can get wrong. The ALIVE system is interesting, but recording all of Isaac's dialogue 3 times is insane for something that many players wouldnt really notice much.

peronmls

Well it definitely still looks like a work in progress.
Hopefully the visuals improve significantly by the final release. I don't have a lot of interest in this if it's not going to have a significant amount of new content or really nice graphics.

Visceral closed down in 2017.
uh duh? You know what I mean. The Callisto Protocol team. Same people different names.

Last edited:

Barakov

Even if this is just a testing of the waters situation, I'm glad Dead Space is back. Seems like it's pretty nice upgrade from the PS3/360 versions.

Top Bottom