• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadline: Beauty & The Beast’ Roars On To Tracking, Looking To Shake Up March Records

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumRush

I think that $1.2B is going to be hard for everything this year (other than Star Wars). It's conceivable that Fate of the Furious ends up under that as well unless China improves on Furious 7's gross or the drops in North America/Europe aren't too bad. Exchange rates are terrible.

If you are going with $130M opening weekend, the same legs as the Jungle Book beyond OW would be $460M domestic. So, BatB would have to make another $760M Overseas to hit $1.2B. Nothing managed that last year. Civil War was the closest with $745M overseas, and with current exchange rates, that would have been down to around $715M.

Japan might be an x-factor here though. I'm not sure how well the original Beauty and the Beast film did there, but all of these Disney live-action fairy tale films have played well in Japan, and BatB seems to be more suited to their tastes than The Jungle Book was. A big number in Japan and China, along with huge numbers in the Americas and Europe/Australia could get things close to your guess.

Great points. I guess I'm just banking on beauty and the beast having way more international appeal than a typical American blockbuster but only time will tell.

Slayven

I feel like it's important to point out that I'm batting 1000% on all of my box office predictions
What is Ghost in the shell going to do?
People like seeing real life versions of their favorite animations. I don't know why this is such a hard thing to grasp for some people. It's not rocket science.

It's really not.

I think that $1.2B is going to be hard for everything this year (other than Star Wars). It's conceivable that Fate of the Furious ends up under that as well unless China improves on Furious 7's gross or the drops in North America/Europe aren't too bad. Exchange rates are terrible.

If you are going with $130M opening weekend, the same legs as the Jungle Book beyond OW would be $460M domestic. So, BatB would have to make another $760M Overseas to hit $1.2B. Nothing managed that last year. Civil War was the closest with $745M overseas, and with current exchange rates, that would have been down to around $715M.

Japan might be an x-factor here though. I'm not sure how well the original Beauty and the Beast film did there, but all of these Disney live-action fairy tale films have played well in Japan, and BatB seems to be more suited to their tastes than The Jungle Book was. A big number in Japan and China, along with huge numbers in the Americas and Europe/Australia could get things close to your guess.

I think you can guess why who they get to do the dub voices. Big Stars equal big money

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I wish them the best of luck, but I haven't felt as apathetic about one of these live-action adaptions since Maleficent, and that doesn't bode well.

Ohwiseone

Yeah it goes BATB on the 17th .
Power Rangers on the 24th
and then Ghost on the 31st.

Which is insane for march.

I have a feeling Power Rangers is going to get crushed.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Yeah it goes BATB on the 17th .
Power Rangers on the 24th
and then Ghost on the 31st.

Which is insane for march.

I have a feeling Power Rangers is going to get crushed.

Power Rangers will get crushed. Ghost will do alright I guess. Beauty and The Beast will kill it for those two weeks.

DJChuy

Beauty and the Beast is already a merchandise monster, so yeah, it'll be big. Gf is already excited and bought about $100 worth of merchandise.

Beauty and the Beast is already a merchandise monster, so yeah, it'll be big. Gf is already excited and bought about $100 worth of merchandise.

You have the nostalgia from the original and you now have all the kids that love Disney Princesses. Belle is like at the Top.

JdFoX187

Banned
Don't forget

Logan - Mar 3rd
Kong: Skull Island - Mar 10

I feel bad for my boy, Kong. :( Looks like he's going to get crushed. Just hope it doesn't affect Warner Bros.' ongoing plans for Godzilla: King of the Monsters and Godzilla v. King Kong.

zeemumu

That is the thing, Cinderella is a story for like 4-7 year olds. And to remake it as not a musical and some adult thing is extremely odd lol.

Eh, you can pass on not making it a musical. The old Disney one only had 3 songs if I remember correctly, and all 3 happened prior to the ball.

GhaleonEB

Animation "doesn't count."

Not really.

Movie ain't a movie until the movie is live-action.

Which is funny because most of the reason people go to "live-action" blockbusters is for the action, which is almost 100% animated anymore. Hell, they're going to make a "live-action" version of The Lion King, which will feature almost nothing but completely computer animated characters interacting with each other. That movie will, pretty much all by itself, render the phrase meaningless. If you can present a movie to people as "live-action" under those circumstances and people buy that?

We're a weird bunch, movie audiences.
Aye. I still see the new version of The Jungle Book referred to as "the live action adaptation". The kid was real. Pretty much everything else, including the titular jungle, is CG animation. It's an animated film with a kid in the foreground. Hell, Avatar is ~85% animated.

Emma Watson isn't the draw, Disney and beauty and beast name which everyone knows is
Probably, but to toss in one anecdote, my daughter is going ~bonkers~ because Hermione is Belle.

Meier

I saw the recent trailer in front of The Red Turtle and I was very impressed. It looks like an absolutely spot-on adaptation and Emma is of course stunningly beautiful. It'll be an utter smash. $450-500m total at least IMO.

Anth0ny

this has to hit a billy, no? I figure it'll beat jungle book at the box office

unless i'm underestimating the box office draw that is talking animals

Definitely. Overseas grosses are a bit of a question mark for me, but it's going to be so big domestically it will without question hit $1B worldwide.

Though I'm expecting big things everywhere, TBH. The only one of these Disney live action flicks to make less than 60% of its cash internationally was the David Franco Wizard of Oz film.

Meier

I have no doubt in my mind it will do more than The Jungle Book in the domestic market. Hard to say about international, but I'd think so too. It's definitely a billion dollar film.

Linkura

This is going to print money. The marketing for it has been great, slowly releasing more and more until release. I'm not interested, but it's going to be a huge hit.

kswiston

Update: March and PG rating opening weekend records were both broken with a $170M domestic and $350M worldwide opening for Beauty and the Beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom