• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition PS3 launch trailer leaked

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Should I read that, or is it going to spoil stuff?

Nothing like story spoilers, but you might want to avoid if you would prefer to go in completely blind as they do talk a bit about some character interaction and things like tone they really liked about the game.

Persona7

Banned
I guess, I don't know, it just seems like a strange choice for a Japanese developer, unless they didn't want to go after the Japanese market I suppose.

To be honest this game is super niche even compared to super niche Japanese titles. I think the demographic is a bit more diverse and not exactly easy to nail down.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
To be honest this game is super niche even compared to super niche Japanese titles. I think the demographic is a bit more diverse and not exactly easy to nail down.

I would tend to agree. Probably the 'biggest' audiences would be Twin Peaks fans, those who like low-budget games with a lot of heart or soul, or those who like old & odd horror-esque games.

kevinski

Banned
Do a sidequest for George during chapter 2 to get the radio item, it will allow you to fast travel and save a lot of time.

I really, really disagree with suggesting that people do that during their first play-through, unless they just happen to stumble upon it. Driving is a big part about the game, because you learn a lot about York and Zach during the talking segments. Bad driving controls aside, driving is one of my favorite aspects of the game.

Izick

Not in as good of a way. It's generally not very clever. The best parts are York's conversations in the car.

Aw, still will give it a shot. I really love me some Twin Peaks so this will be interesting to play just to see a game emulate that.

I guess, I don't know, it just seems like a strange choice for a Japanese developer, unless they didn't want to go after the Japanese market I suppose.
Well, it was released on the PS3 in Japan (as Red Seeds Profile), so when the publisher Ignition came into the picture and wanted to release it in North America they probably just concentrated on the console with the biggest audience.

I'm so confused about this game...but I guess I'll wait. I think I get the appeal a bit more after watching through all of Twin Peaks this past Winter (amazing show), but I still am not sure what the fuck this game is, and I'm not sure if I want to know until I play it....
The story is pretty awesome actually. This is one of the few games where the statement "so bad it's good" truly applies. Really had a blast with it, it is much fun.

MrBS

Iixrxfj.jpg

Oh my.

Please let there be an option for this with Thomas as well ;)

Same here.

The strongest (only?) good point about the game is the story really. The horror/combat sections of the game are derivative at best, though I guess they do at least give some tension/danger to the game and relief from the daytime, walking around and talking to people parts of the game.

Tamanon

Banned
Good lord those are some horrificly spoiled trophies. That's just silly, it's almost like they wanted the trophy descriptions to be a codex.

Jawmuncher

Played the game last year and once I got the radio the game really hooked me.
Never bothered much with the side missions but the main story itself and the characters were just so good. Any word on how scarce rising star games get? Since im not sure if I should bother with day 1 or if the changes here are such a change on my 360 version.

I really, really disagree with suggesting that people do that during their first play-through, unless they just happen to stumble upon it. Driving is a big part about the game, because you learn a lot about York and Zach during the talking segments. Bad driving controls aside, driving is one of my favorite aspects of the game.

True. I forgot about the movie trivia/conversations he has when driving, all of which are generally great. Probably best to just use the radio when replaying chapters, or when you get sick of the driving

The trophy list just came out as well, but it contains major spoilers. So don't view them if you are new to the game.

http://psnprofiles.com/trophies/1931-Deadly-Premonition-The-Directors-Cut

Yeah, just look like a big list of spoilers, probably best not to look at it until you beat the game

Eusis

it starts off as twin peaks the game but the last act gets 100x weirder
I'm not sure how confident I'd be in saying that given how Twin Peaks ended, but they're definitely in the same area. ALTERNATIVELY: They're equally crazy, but
Deadly Premonition is more fucked up.

And I can't help but read the text in your avatar in Francis Morgan's voice.

Nice, been looking forward to checking this out (never played the original). From the little I've seen and read about the game, the weird "Lynchian" mystery/horror vibe and atmosphere were more than enough to pique my interest in playing this. Probably irrelevant, but for some weird reason this game keeps reminding me of Shadow of Memories (PS2).

Persona7

Banned
Good lord those are some horrificly spoiled trophies. That's just silly, it's almost like they wanted the trophy descriptions to be a codex.

I think most of them are hidden, but I am not sure. That is how they appear on the other trophy web site.

Don't post that there are spoilers in the trailer next time, folks who have played the game already. Goes for everything. Because THAT is what spoils it. To everyone else, it's just a bunch of crazy scenes cut together that we'll forget about as we play. But say "spoiler" and people can start consciously thinking about what we're seeing. Thanks.

sunnz

Pre ordered from shopto for a nice price of £25, got a cool DLC pack with it too ( transporter dlc)

Other DLC included a suit that stops hunger loss, which I think is stupid as that is a pretty awesome addition in game.

I am pretty excited for this, cant wait. Been a while since I pre ordered a game, feels good!

Just realized this has move support, hopefully that means they've truly tweaked the aiming systems in place. Is there any detailed gameplay of the new version?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Is the game hard to platinum/100%?

Is the game hard to platinum/100%?

Not if you follow a side-quest guide. It can all be one in one playthrough too. It's pretty time consuming, though. My Red Seeds Profile platinum took approximately 43 hours.

All the trophies are tied to each side-quest in the game except for the platinum and the trophies for completing each chapter in the story.

Also, now that this game has finally been translated into English for PS3, you don't have to worry about guessing for the medical quiz (made slightly easier with numbers and English letters for blood-types) or the impossible-without-guessing (unless you can read Japanese) Greenvale trivia quest.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Not if you follow a side-quest guide. It can all be one in one playthrough too. It's pretty time consuming, though. My Red Seeds Profile platinum took approximately 43 hours.

All the trophies are tied to each side-quest in the game except for the platinum and the trophies for completing each chapter in the story.

Also, now that this game has finally been translated into English for PS3, you don't have to worry about guessing for the medical quiz (made slightly easier with numbers and English letters for blood-types) or the impossible-without-guessing (unless you can read Japanese) Greenvale trivia quest.

Did they change it, then? On the 360 the difficulty stuff didn't stack. I beat it on hard and would have to replay on normal and easy.

Scavenger

For those who live in the Netherlands, FRS.nl has it in stock and if you order before 15:00 you'll get it tomorrow. It's a bit pricey though, €44. I ordered mine this morning.

Received mine just today. Just starting it up now. Game still looks mostly bad, though some things stand out like massive improvements. Too bad I only have an hour or so to play right now.

EDIT: Hmm... The start of the game is different, with a segment with an
old guy telling a story to a little girl
before the part with the twins in the chairs appears.

Did they change it, then? On the 360 the difficulty stuff didn't stack. I beat it on hard and would have to replay on normal and easy.

I don't know what the achievements were for Red Seeds Profile on the 360, but on PS3 all trophies could be achieved regardless of difficulty. I played on easy and still got my platinum in one playthrough. Based on that recently-released trophy list, it appears to be identical to the Red Seeds Profile trophy list.

This game is a goddamned masterpiece. It's like David Lynch meets early Suda 51. I highly recommend it to anyone with an open mind and a tolerance for jank.

VS4kFEa.png

bonercop

..The game looks pretty much the exact same, visually.

So much for listing "HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS" as a bullet-point. Still, I'm down Swery.

Top Bottom